• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder it was Milo targeting her and ending his braindead followers after her that finally got him banned from twitter, so that's how actually bad the harassment was that she got, it got Milo banned from Twitter, do you know how bad you have to be to get permed from Twitter?

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
This comes across as really pathetic. Her movie was one of the worst movies I've seen in the past decade. People hating it for the wrong reasons doesn't turn it into a movie where all criticism can be disregarded for those reasons. It's awful. Her response here is kind of bizarre.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
It's horrible what they all went through but tbh the movie wasn't that great. My wife and I saw it in theaters and I can't remember a single line and only vaguely recall the big set pieces.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately, she is making this about something it is not. The movie failed mostly due to it being bad, not because it had an all women cast. I mean the average score was low and I don't think they made any profit on it either.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Her movie sucked, she is in the wrong here, it's that simple.

Did she not watch the other two films, watched hers and then compared?
.isn't the main lead in the new film the daughter of one of the originals?

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Man... Ghostbusters 2016 was really the moment where it sunk in that the internet has a way of making fun things very very very unfun.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The movie has a 74% on RT and is declared fresh! It was a good movie. Stop saying it's not people, it ain't true just because you didn't like it.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure it doesn't feel good considering all the hate that was piled onto that first remake. A lot of it was pre release too. Thought the new one might have a mixed cast in it though so it wouldn't be all dudes.
I didn't see The Ghostbusters with the female cast. Was it good?
Just kinda average I guess? Not a dumpster fire but I wouldn't rewatch it.

The egon equivalent and Leslie Jones characters were the best and gave me some laughs.

Nov 18, 2017
I don't agree with her reaction, but I understand it given the abuse Jones put up with on Twitter, I'm fine with this response.

I liked Answer the Call, but the movie was just a different tone to the original, and it didn't succeed at the box office. Paul Feig and Amy Pascal took the franchise and tried to bend it into something that didn't fit. I'm very excited about Reitman's sequel.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Why not both?

The 3rd film is going to be 2 Male, 2 Female.

There was rumours anyway they wanted to do this whole big Ghostbusters Universe thing so maybe their Ghost Busters could have crossed over into a 4th or a separate Crossover from the Mainseries spin off, or indeed get it's own Sequel in the future, Since Sony & everyone under the sun wants a Movie Universe these days.

I didn't mind the Last GB film - I saw the extended cut only, so I don't know if thats what made the difference, whilst I wouldn't say it was awesome, I enjoyed it and didn't hate it.

Hopefully we get another Videogame too in the future.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What is it about this film that it can't just be a bad film?

because it wasn't really a bad film, it wasn't a great film, i mean I loved it because that kind of improve absurdist humour is up my alley, but it reviewed averagely and what not, this idea that it was like an utter awful film is not really true, it's just that the only people that still want to talk about it are the ones who hated it.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The all female cast of the last movie wasn't the problem. The movie was the problem.

Can get why she's passionate about it, but probably not the best way if its a younger mixed cast for the next.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
The movie has a 74% on RT and is declared fresh! It was a good movie. Stop saying it's not people, it ain't true just because you didn't like it.
You kind of don't get to decide if its a "good movie". That's up to each individual for themselves. What you're seeing in this thread is various people who think the film is bad. There's no objective way of measuring the "goodness" of a movie.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You kind of don't get to decide if its a "good movie". That's up to each individual for themselves. What you're seeing in this thread is various people who think the film is bad. There's no objective way of measuring the "goodness" of a movie.

No what you're seeing is a bunch of people all but demanding that Leslie Jones admit she was in a bad movie.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
No what you're seeing is a bunch of people all but demanding that Leslie Jones admit she was in a bad movie.
Who the hell has asked her to admit that? Have I missed something on this thread?

The film is fucking awful, I'll happy shit on it all day long for being one of the worst films I've subjected myself to, and at no point during any of that do I make any "demands" for LJ to admit anything. People can think its the best film in the world if they want to - to them, it could well be. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion of the film.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
What is it about this film that it can't just be a bad film?

Imagine if Black Panther had been a bad film.

The GB reboot was unfairly criticised by alt right nerds because of the all-female cast. Sony successfully spun the marketing to appeal to progressives as a response to the criticism. The movie was caught in the middle, and a lot of people tried very hard to see nothing but the good/bad in it for purely political reasons. But the more objective viewers all agreed that the cast was wasted on a movie that was thoroughly bland.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
Reminder it was Milo targeting her and ending his braindead followers after her that finally got him banned from twitter, so that's how actually bad the harassment was that she got, it got Milo banned from Twitter, do you know how bad you have to be to get permed from Twitter?
Yeah I remember that at the time, regardless of whether people like her GB movie or not, the abuse she got was disgusting.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Uhm no? A good movie is determined by critics who actually know what they are judging. People can have opinions, but it's just going to fall into: I don't like X, because Y; OR I like X, because Z.
people are allowed to think the movie is bad, its okay, everything is going to be ok
I haven't seen the movie, I don't particularly care about it. However, I think Leslie Jones is allowed to be mad about what's happening. Apparently in this thread, a majority disagree.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I really likes DmC as did a lot of people. Not sure what this comparison means?
Both get an exorbitant amount hate on it for superficial reasons.
Neither are as horrible as the backlash make them out to be.
They are both not main line sequels in the middle of the franchise, but rather re-imagining.
Both made by a different team than the originals.

I personally enjoy both for what they are. Ghostbusters 2016 was one of my favorite theater experiences that year because of the crowd I saw it with.
DmC is legit a good character action game.

Hold that L.

Um, no.
Get out of here with this nonsense.

Nov 18, 2017
Then say you don't like it, not that it's a bad movie.

I like Answer the Call but I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. There are elements that are objectively bad. The antagonist is underdeveloped and not a threat. The way it develops into the third act is kinda rushed and poorly explained. You could argue the world has little internal consistency. Feig shoots his film like a TV comedy. All of the support cast are comedic in nature. It's the difference between a grounded world with characters who are funny, and a super stylised comedy where everyone is doing a skit. There is little exciting in the way of cinematography, like the original's sweeping establishing shots of New York or the crowd shots leading up the climax. There are no genuinely scary, tense sequences.

It features the punchline "God was drunk when he made her personality" in a film written by professional comedy writers.

It maybe scored highly on RottenTomatoes and there is a lot to like, but a Feig-McCarthy vehicle was always a very uncomfortable fit for the franchise.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
yeah it wasn't a cast problem. it was a script problem. i like the movie, but i wouldn't call it good. you could keep the character parts, remove & replace the main plot parts, and you could still have a good movie.