• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie...s-leslie-jones-holds-absolutely-nothing-back/

Remake star Leslie Jones is not happy about her franchise being disregarded after just one film, and over on Twitter, she's holding nothing back in regards to her feelings.
Jones tweeted over the weekend, "So insulting. Like fuck us. We dint count. It's like something trump would do. (Trump voice) "Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain't ghostbusteeeeers" ugh so annoying. Such a dick move. And I don't give fuck I'm saying something!!"
She continued, "When the point is if they make this new one with all men and it does well which it will. It might feel that "boys are better" it makes my heart drop. Maybe I could have use different words but I'm allowed to have my feelings just like them."

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I thought the new movie was going to have mixed cast gender wise?

Regardless, I have no issues with her response. The response to Ghostbuster was rather embarrassing and toxic. And she received a lot disgusting hate from Milo and his twitter army.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
This was talked about in the other GB thread, but it seems she doesn't have all the information. It's not a reboot, it's a continuation and it's going to have a mixed cast of men and women (well, actually boys and girls).

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Look, GB 2016 bombed. The response was embarrassing and terrible, but it still bombed. Everyone, including Leslie, needs to move on.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't the bigger issue with her Ghostbusters film that it wasn't funny or good? Not that it had an all woman leads.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry but fuck the ghostbusters reboot. It was, frankly, shit and didn't have any of te humor or style I expected from a GB movie.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i understand that the cast of the last ghostbusters went through a lot of shit that never should have come to pass(especially her)....this would be a super emotional topic for anyone who had to go through that hell.

But she should really get all the information before talking because it makes her look like she's not really informed about the facts and the reality of this movie

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This whole thing is a shit show for so many reasons that I don't think 2 people have the same hot take on things.

Her real mistake was working with Paul Feig.
Creator of freaks and geeks and also directed several episodes of the U.S version of The Office, Arrested Development, Weeds and Nurse Jackie, as well as episodes of Mad Men, 30 Rock, and Parks and Recreation. He received nominations for two Primetime Emmy Awards for writing on Freaks and Geeks and three for directing on The Office.

Yeah that Paul feig never did anything of note

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They just did the same thing with Halloween. Why? Because the last Halloween movies sucked. The Ghostbusters movie she was in was awful, so of course they would try to wipe the slate clean.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
She was in a crappy movie. They are rebooting it. She needs to move on.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't matter that GB 2016 was bad, what matters is that it didn't make enough money.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder Leslie Jones was the target of intense and utterly insane sexist and racist harassment over her involvement in v the movie, a move she clearly enjoyed making and had pride in

Also really the movie only underperformed relative to someone thinking yeah sure let's spend 150 million on a sci-fi horror comedy

If it was done on say 50 million, the right size of budget for the kind of film it was, it probably actually gets a sequel.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get that she had to deal with a ton of unnecessary and hateful backlash....

But it was a bad film. Reboots happen. Reboots of reboots happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Leslie, dear, shhhhhhhh. Your movie was a stink-fest through no fault of your own, but it was still a stink-fest. Let it die.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
They're aren't totaling ignoring the 2016 film, the 2016 cast where in the excellent GB comic lately.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
I can see her frustration, the best thing about the 2016 version was the cast itself and I think Leslie was easily the strongest of them all. She did her part in the film and gave it her best, it's not her fault the script and story were terrible.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
As long as this new one has a script and isn't over 120 minutes of improv, it'll automatically be better.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Chalk it up to the game. Don't jump on remakes that think switching genders is a draw. Just cynical Hollywood lazily jumping on the success of women led projects while not creating original content for women.

Jul 18, 2018
The movie did suck for the hype of the franchise name itself. However they did get harassed to the moon and back which was so unfair.

I feel that Leslie Jones needs to team up with some creative person to actually flesh her out even more. The stuff she does in SNL and even in the movie seems so forced and same type of personality in all her characters. I feel like she has more hidden talents deep inside that needs to be fleshed out by someone directing her correctly than always being the bashful, loud character that she gets stereotyped and harassed for.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who's having a go at her over this should slow their roll a little.

Yeah, she clearly doesn't have all the facts, but she's entitled to act however she damn well pleases after the gallons of shit she gets every single day after that movie.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I hate that the reboot sucked, but it did. Not because of the cast; entirely because of the script. As a huge fan of Kate McKinnon in particular, it's a frustrating situation, and Jones is right when she says this news is the kind of thing alt right incels love; but to pretend the reboot was a good movie just to advance a progressive agenda does a disservice to every fantastic movie made by women.

I'm normally all about trying to retroactively salvage things like the reboot with a sequel, and if that was the call the studios made, I'd expect a follow up to be much better; but I can't say I feel ignoring the reboot in favour of another sequel to the original is bad form given how it turned out.

Last edited:

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame her. Every nerd boy on the Internet had a meltdown because it wasn't their franchise. Same thing that's happening with Star Wars.

Reminder Leslie Jones was the target of intense and utterly insane sexist and racist harassment over her involvement in v the movie, a move she clearly enjoyed making and had pride in

Also really the movie only underperformed relative to someone thinking yeah sure let's spend 150 million on a sci-fi horror comedy

If it was done on say 50 million, the right size of budget for the kind of film it was, it probably actually gets a sequel.
Yup, pretty much this.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

True. It's not her fault they had a ridiculous marketing campaign for a somewhat decent comedy.