• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Give me back Adventurers, Ice Planet and Dragon Knights please. Any of the more unique ones like Paradisa, M-Tron Rock Raiders etc. would be cool though as we're never getting them back any other way. I had Bionicle as a kid and never liked it, you built them and then couldn't really do shit with them because they were all non-standard parts, and the grand story they made up to sell them (and all the blind bag masks) was boring and convoluted with tons of hard to pronounce/remember names.
My man. Were you aware that the only exploriens set we got in Europe was the monorail?
That's strange as we definitely got them in the UK (I still have a few sets), although the Exploriens brand wasn't really used anywhere.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
TONS of nostalgia there. I had lot of those "medieval/castle" sets as a kid. Brought back some memories big time.

Why are they wasting time with people voting?

Just release them all LEGO, you dummies. It would print money.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
space legos 100%. m-tron. ice planet. space police.

I'm sorry to have to say this but bionicle aren't even classic legos. they were the turning point on which the classic era ended. the start of when advances in injection modeling led to ton's of "specialty" pieces instead of making cool things out of a smaller set of common pieces.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
space legos 100%. m-tron. ice planet. space police.

I'm sorry to have to say this but bionicle aren't even classic legos. they were the turning point on which the classic era ended. the start of when advances in injection modeling led to ton's of "specialty" pieces instead of making cool things out of a smaller set of common pieces.
Actually they were the end of that era, that was the 90's, around 2004 is when you started to see complex builds out of regular pieces again. 90's was the era of custom baseplates and pieces

bigf00t

Jul 9, 2018
I have to go with Exploriens, but only cause I don't see RoboForce. What gives LEGO? No love for this glorious beast???

2152-1.png

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I wish they would just bring back some of the classic themes every year. Even if its a small set of sets. I hate walking down the Lego aisle and 3/4 of it is licensed shit, but I get it.. it's what sells these days.

I love Pirates, but they released Pirates of Barracuda Bay last year, so I'll vote something else.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Had this one back in the day. Being able to have one Lego set with a variety of bits from different themes was great for a kid whose parents couldn't buy lots of them. Look at it! You get a robot, skeleton, flame bits, Ice Planet bits, a monkey, plus the science base to build, that folded in on itself.
YESS EXACTLY!!!

You could make endless adventures

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
I have to go with Exploriens, but only cause I don't see RoboForce. What gives LEGO? No love for this glorious beast???

2152-1.png
Yo I haven't seen these sets in far too long. They woulda looked great with the modern pieces too. But for my own choices I'd have to go M-Tron, Space Police 1 and Ice-Planet though looking at all the examples they were either sets I wanted or had at some point.

Dec 25, 2018
Since most of the Bionicle part moulds from both generations are probably retired at this point, I wouldn't mind a large system style set of Tahu or the Great Spirit Robot that never got a set maybe in a similar scale/piece count to this set.
4508-1.jpg

I also like the suggestion mentioned in the thread of the Masks made out of system pieces.

EXO Force would be cool to see back, though i suppose that would be moot since its very similar to Ninjago.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I've gone for:
Exploriens
Adventurers
Bionicle

My favourite minifig was an Explorien. Adventurers for that Lego Racers vibe and Johnny Thunder. Bionicle because I was a massive Bionicle kid.

Man I used to love looking through Lego catalogues. I somehow ended up looking through another one recently. So much licensed stuff with a bunch of milquetoast classic sets. I loved the original stuff they did.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
I don't think Spyrius has a chance to win come to think.

But I'd actually love a Bionicle brick set like what they did before.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Bionicle gets mad disrespect. Didn't it basically save the company in the early 00's?

Also, no love for Insectoids?
6907-1.jpg

Bionicle sold well during the 00s, but it didn't sell like Star Wars sells.

Bionicle is itself kind of a weird contradiction in that it has all the trappings of what was holding back LEGO in the 00s, in particular veering away from system elements and a lack of focus on building. LEGO sets were looking less and less like traditional LEGO sets and it was only upon returning to basics (albeit, with a lot of licensing as well) that things really started to change for the better. Bionicle was the exception to the rule and I think it's one of the only examples of a very successful theme outside of the System and Technic building themes. The building elements they use in Bionicle I believe are called "Constraction", and sets that use those building elements outside of Bionicle traditionally don't do as well as their System counterparts, which is why you don't see them too too much these days.

LEGO has since revived Bionicle twice since it's retirement, once via Hero Factory and again under it's own brand in 2016. Both times it didn't sell.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Oh gods, the nostalgia! Also, no Mars? That was like the coolest one I could get as a kid!

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
I wish this included Exo-Force or Power Miners
I think Exo-Force were the among last new Lego sets I bought. I still buy classic sets on occasion, and I bought the Lego Movie spaceship, but other than that, Exo-Force was probably the last time I went to the store and bought new Lego.

Oct 26, 2017
I think Exo-Force were the among last new Lego sets I bought. I still buy classic sets on occasion, and I bought the Lego Movie spaceship, but other than that, Exo-Force was probably the last time I went to the store and bought new Lego.

You should check out Ninjago. They release awesome mechs all the time. And there's some in Monkie Kid too, which has a more pronounced anime style.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Round 1 is over, round 2 is February 3. I think someone scrapped the numbers before it was sealed on the 25th but you'd have to look. Round 2 will be sealed

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Wish Bionicle hadn't been a part of this, that series is junk. Of course it will win though.
It and Studio are the only post 2000 started lines in here so I'm sure they have ideas otherwise it wouldn't be here like Exoforce, Dino Hunters and Ultra Team . Plus round 2 is sealed.
Also I've been saying it makes round 2 for sure but honestly it probably won't win there, classic fans are a force of their own and they are divided among subthemes here and the second round is sealed for a reason.
Pretty obvious the whole thing is a data gathering plan for a series of nostalgia sets under the 18+ line anyways. The sub divisions don't make sense otherwise.

Also quit the hate, there's a whole generation of us who got into creative LEGO building because of Bionicle and it's world. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you get to bash it. Also life on Mars is better than classic space any day of the week

Last edited:

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bionicle sold well during the 00s, but it didn't sell like Star Wars sells.

Bionicle is itself kind of a weird contradiction in that it has all the trappings of what was holding back LEGO in the 00s, in particular veering away from system elements and a lack of focus on building. LEGO sets were looking less and less like traditional LEGO sets and it was only upon returning to basics (albeit, with a lot of licensing as well) that things really started to change for the better. Bionicle was the exception to the rule and I think it's one of the only examples of a very successful theme outside of the System and Technic building themes. The building elements they use in Bionicle I believe are called "Constraction", and sets that use those building elements outside of Bionicle traditionally don't do as well as their System counterparts, which is why you don't see them too too much these days.

LEGO has since revived Bionicle twice since it's retirement, once via Hero Factory and again under it's own brand in 2016. Both times it didn't sell.

Bionicle was simply Lego Technic pieces applied into a character-based toyline. Lego Technic is still active today, although with cars and programmable robots. I don't think it is an exception to the rule, it was simply a well thought out execution of an existing system.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Bionicle was simply Lego Technic pieces applied into a character-based toyline. Lego Technic is still active today, although with cars and programmable robots. I don't think it is an exception to the rule, it was simply a well thought out execution of an existing system.

The original Bionicle sets are branded as Technic, but the pieces are largely unique and today are largely thought of as distinctly different from Technic. The parts are significantly different than what you would see in a traditional technic set. Although the argument is a bit moot as standard system pieces, Technic, and Constraction often bleed into each other.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yup and I've seen some awesome moc builds that kept the reboot armor pieces but went fully technic on the skeleton and there's creative ways to do it with all the modern pieces that you could do it with only a handful of custom parts. Here's a cool one
5qXHKWw.jpg

VqZEBFF.jpg

Fact is in an adult focused line they could double the scale and go full on technic built with less custom pieces. It's also it's 20th anniversary this year, they could always announce something for that rather than the 90th
Dammit I still can't sign in! Keeps telling me I already have an account.
First round is over anyways, round 2 is Feb 3

Oct 28, 2017
Used to love paging through the catalogue when I was kid and still not getting any of the big sets I wanted.

Gimme that classic pirate ship.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Yup and I've seen some awesome moc builds that kept the reboot armor pieces but went fully technic on the skeleton and there's creative ways to do it with all the modern pieces that you could do it with only a handful of custom parts. Here's a cool one
5qXHKWw.jpg

VqZEBFF.jpg

Fact is in an adult focused line they could double the scale and go full on technic built with less custom pieces. It's also it's 20th anniversary this year, they could always announce something for that rather than the 90th

First round is over anyways, round 2 is Feb 3

This is exceptionally rad! Love this.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Shit, now I'm trying to remember Technic set I had as a kid. It was some kind of vechicle with 1 or 2 figures. I think they had had skis.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Constraction sets, the Slizers theme that preceded Bionicle was so simple but I remember me and my friend having so much fun with them.

8502-1-used-000.jpg

150401a-lego-slizers-8506-rock-slizer-1999a.jpg

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
According to a website who was tracking the votes, if the castle folks come together to vote on Classic Castle, then the results for the final vote would apparently be :

1. Classic Castle
2. Classic Space
3. Bionicle

I really hope that doesn't happen. I want Bionicle :(

Dec 25, 2018
Speaking of Constraction sets, the Slizers theme that preceded Bionicle was so simple but I remember me and my friend having so much fun with them.

8502-1-used-000.jpg

of the pre-bonkle technic/constraction themes I missed out on Slizers but had one of the Roboriders, had the notion at the time of getting another to do the combiner build that also utilised the lids of the canisters.
latest

It was something that seemed less emphasised in later Bionicle sets, But I liked the combiner sets you could make that they also included the instructions for, seemed to get the imagination going for what you could make using the technic/constraction pieces

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017

8502-1-used-000.jpg

OMG I HAD ONE OF THOSE (well not exactly but it was the same theme)
This one https://brickset.com/sets/8514-1
8514-1.jpg

of the pre-bonkle technic/constraction themes I missed out on Slizers but had one of the Roboriders, had the notion at the time of getting another to do the combiner build that also utilised the lids of the canisters.
latest

It was something that seemed less emphasised in later Bionicle sets, But I liked the combiner sets you could make that they also included the instructions for, seemed to get the imagination going for what you could make using the technic/constraction pieces
I also did! I loved it, but sadly I got it after Bionicle released and it was the only one I could find.
It had the tubes before Bionicle got them.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to a website who was tracking the votes, if the castle folks come together to vote on Classic Castle, then the results for the final vote would apparently be :

1. Classic Castle
2. Classic Space
3. Bionicle
You've basically got the worst of the LEGO fans there. The gen Xers who liked it when sets were easy to understand and didn't have cool features, and the late millennials who didn't really want to play with LEGO at all.