apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://imgur.com/a/1srgJR3
Sound on!
Very pleased with this MOC.
Instructions were very easy to follow.
I used a little bit of plastic glue to fixate the mast to the boat because it's only secured by a single stud. Now it doesn't budge one bit.

Well fuck me...how much did it cost you for the pieces?

Think last time I looked into a full moc build that didn't just reuse a couple full sets was Teknomeka, and I never got around to even doing it.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I might want to get that.... Could make a whole beach area with that to the side lol

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
That looks so cool! Did it wind up costing alot to buy all the individual parts?
Yeah, I think I came to around €150 with shipping but most of the pieces were new so it might have added a few euro bucks to the total.
For me the price is very much worth it because it totally looks like it could be an official set.
Oh, I did skip the elf minifig because it would have added another €10 just for that...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
..and you can get one from the Deku Tree set (assuming you're ok with OOT link being close enough)

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Good to know. I'll bide my time until March, unless a really cool GWP shows up first.

2x VIP coming sooner than expected:

www.thebrickfan.com

LEGO Double VIP Event Coming February 10-16 - The Brick Fan

Prepare your wallets and purses as there will be a LEGO Double VIP event starting this weekend.

There's a GWP promo starting on the 10th as well:

www.thebrickfan.com

LEGO City 4x4 Off-Road Ambulance Rescue (40582) GWP Official Images - The Brick Fan

There are now official images of the upcoming LEGO City 4x4 Off-Road Ambulance Rescue (40582) gift with purchase set.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
As much as I'd love to pull the trigger on Rivendell at release, I've gotta wait for double VIP with these large sets. I'll probably get the A-Frame cabin during double VIP and nab the ambulance promo.

EMBee99

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
For me, it's just finding the space to put something like Rivendell in my home. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could display it properly.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
..and you can get one from the Deku Tree set (assuming you're ok with OOT link being close enough)
That was my thought as well, when I saw the leak! xD

Finally finished my final MOC project:

Nja1zLD.jpg

It's not the most stable set so I didn't move it to take a nice shot of it...
I'm just going to quote myself from my Rebrickable comment on this set:

KeRaSh on Rebrickable said:
Finally managed to build this.
I'm really torn here. On one hand, the end result looks really nice.
On the other hand, the build is super frustrating.
You start off by realizing that the .lxf file that is provided is completely different from the part list on this site.
Not sure if this is an issue with the automatic creation of the part list when uploading the MOC design file or what, but after ordering the parts from the part list I had to manually check the part list from the digital model and ended up needing to buy around 150 more pieces than the Bricklink part list noted.
Then the model uses colors for parts that don't even exist so those had to be changed and ordered as well.
Another frustrating part is the fact that even after going through all this, you end up with extra parts that aren't even used so that's a waste of money.

The build itself is also a chore. You know what you're getting yourself into since you have to reverse engineer everything from the digital model but even after figuring out how things are set up you are confronted with the fact that the way the legs are build is extremely flimsy and you can't really apply much force to press pieces together since there's nothing inside to give the outside parts stability.
You sometimes try to tighten pieces and end up breaking something else.
Then you need to take something else apart again because otherwise you can't reach inside to fix it.
I think 90% of the frustration stems from the lower third of the model.
If I had to build it again I would definitely try to stabilize some parts from the inside with a few extra pieces.
I even used some glue for the more frustrating parts after making sure I don't need to take those parts apart anymore.

Again, it's a beautiful end result. The Cactuar is one of my favorite Final Fantasy characters and the model does it justice while still give off that "MOC vibe".
I guess with all the problems I had with getting the parts and while building it, I feel like asking money for the design file is asking a little too much.
It's 5$. It's not the end of the world, but it still left a slight taste in my mouth.

As for Rivendell:
Looks nice, but doesn't really tickle my fancy.
Also, those roof tiles would fucking kill me. I'd spend 20 hours just trying to align everything perfectly...

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
That was my thought as well, when I saw the leak! xD

Finally finished my final MOC project:

Nja1zLD.jpg

It's not the most stable set so I didn't move it to take a nice shot of it...
I'm just going to quote myself from my Rebrickable comment on this set:

Sucks to read the review, that looks fucking badass and I would absolutely love a Cactuar on display.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Sucks to read the review, that looks fucking badass and I would absolutely love a Cactuar on display.
I'm seriously tempted to order the chinese knock-off just to see how it compares and look at the instructions that it comes with.
I feel like the knock-off does it a little smoother but this version has that MOC feel, like I mentioned in the review.
As a huge Cactuar fan I regret nothing but I wanted to give others a fair warning as to what they might be getting themselves into with this.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Rivendell looks great even as a non lotr superfan, but the open back design makes it a pass for me.

Will be cool seeing what people can use it to build.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
that roof looks annoying enough that I'd hope they'd include some mechanism to help lining them up properly

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
that roof looks annoying enough that I'd hope they'd include some mechanism to help lining them up properly

Lol, just commented on this elsewhere. At first with the small pictures I thought the roof looked good but with the closeups its just a bunch of 1x1 flat tiles that you need to align yourself.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, just commented on this elsewhere. At first with the small pictures I thought the roof looked good but with the closeups its just a bunch of 1x1 flat tiles that you need to align yourself.

at least with regular 90 degree tiles you can use the edge of a table or something to line them up but these look all 45 degrees. I'm twitching just thinking about it

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been eyeing the Lego City Train Station set for a bit now, and decided to finally get it this past weekend at Target. They had a buy 1 get 50% off deal on toys, and didn't exclude Legos, so we got that & a Star Wars Dagobah Jedi Training Diorama. Wife will build that. But for me, I went ahead and build this this past weekend. I really mostly wanted the bus. Train station itself didn't really call out to me too much, but it is nice to have. Think I may try changing it up and adding extra pieces I have to make it a full building. Sometime soon I need to reconfigure my city layout to get this in & redo the rail line.

df70f7f79e58d3b9.jpeg

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
at least with regular 90 degree tiles you can use the edge of a table or something to line them up but these look all 45 degrees. I'm twitching just thinking about it

My strategy with this technique is to take a long-ish plate or tile (maybe a 1x10 or 2x8), hold it at an angle while applying gentle pressure and slide it along a row of tiles. Basically aligning a bunch of elements quickly.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
For stuff like that I just take a taller 1x1 brick place it between the single flat 1x1 tiles and then line them all up flat against that.

It'll be annoying as shit with that roof but I'm sure you could rig something like a row of pillars to sit there while you tile.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
I just looked through the Rivendell pictures in more detail and it looks like the shape would make it very annoying to fit on in display case.

The main building is approximately 48 studs wide across the back (so roughly the same width as Assembly Square), but the section on the right extends forward at an angle. It looks good in pictures, but it would fit very awkwardly on my shelf. I see that the build is modular, so hopefully that will give some extra options for display.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I just looked through the Rivendell pictures in more detail and it looks like the shape would make it very annoying to fit on in display case.

The main building is approximately 48 studs wide across the back (so roughly the same width as Assembly Square), but the section on the right extends forward at an angle. It looks good in pictures, but it would fit very awkwardly on my shelf. I see that the build is modular, so hopefully that will give some extra options for display.

people will have to be creative. Barely fits widthwise on a Billy bookcase but too deep for one

Mathi

Oct 25, 2017
Rivendell looks great. I probably would've bought this on day one, but I have no idea where to put it, it's just too big for all of my shelves. I think I'm gonna wait for a good deal first and then solve the space problem later.

I also just remembered that the BDP sets will start to ship in a few weeks, so next month is already going to be expensive.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Looks amazing but zooming in on pics, and there are so man goddamn stickers.
https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/the-lord-of-the-rings-rivendell-10316?cmp=REF-202302-LOTR_Laun

In a record breaking year for Lego profits, they need to realise how off putting stickers are, and they don't belong in an 18+ set labeled 'Icons'

I refuse to pay £100+ for sets that comes with stickers.

Those big sets such as the Medieval Blacksmith, Galaxy Explorer, the Great Pyramid of Giza, Pirate Ship (Creator 3-in-1), The Starry Night, Question Mark Block (Super Mario 64) and even the recent A-Frame Cabin don't have a single sticker.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to pay £100+ for sets that comes with stickers.

Those big sets such as the Medieval Blacksmith, Galaxy Explorer, the Great Pyramid of Giza, Pirate Ship (Creator 3-in-1), The Starry Night, Question Mark Block (Super Mario 64) and even the recent A-Frame Cabin don't have a single sticker.

Agreed. Charge a premium price, deliver a premium product.

Also, no stickers for Bowser either. (just to further shill that set)

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I really enjoy the main module building sets. No stickers to be found!

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
As someone who used to build gunpla, I have a healthy fear of any model kit that relies overly on stickers - it just looks janky and cheap. Rivendell doesn't seem all that bad, given the piece count, but something like the Star Wars Rex helmet (which is plastered in them) looks really off-putting. It wouldn't be so bad if Lego improved their sticker tech; shaped stickers with smaller, transparent borders would look so much better and less obtrusive.

One of my favourite things about the MOTU and Hot Wheels Mega Construx sets is that they use zero stickers. Given how much Lego charge comparatively, there's really no excuse.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who used to build gunpla, I have a healthy fear of any model kit that relies overly on stickers - it just looks janky and cheap. Rivendell doesn't seem all that bad, given the piece count, but something like the Star Wars Rex helmet (which is plastered in them) looks really off-putting. It wouldn't be so bad if Lego improved their sticker tech; shaped stickers with smaller, transparent borders would look so much better and less obtrusive.

One of my favourite things about the MOTU and Hot Wheels Mega Construx sets is that they use zero stickers. Given how much Lego charge comparatively, there's really no excuse.

As someone who's just getting into Gunpla, I've chosen to reject stickers in favor of painting when they're used for color separation and buying waterslides if I have to for other details. 😊

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh don't worry. I'm learning what my scale is fast. When I'm done with my "practice kits," I'll be sticking primarily with MG.

Good good. Also don't be intimidated. It's good to get a good feel of each scale and line but there are MGs that are also fine as early kits as well. It's best to look into online reviews and the date a kit came out because newer ones are generally better and going back too far especially with certain lines can be a headache.

All the lines have value even though I think MG is the best all around. I even love the newer Entry Grade things as something super simple I can just bust out, but then there are kits like the HG Leo that is not far off of that and a good way to get a few good looking grunts.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Stickers on 100+ collectible sets are insulting. Stickers on 400+ collectible sets is actively making fun of the buyer and just getting a dick in general.

Stickers on 10-20$ sets for kids 4+ though? Nah, we'll print all of it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
ideas.lego.com

LEGO Ideas Second 2022 Review Results

Over the past months, the LEGO Review Board evaluated 51 stunning product ideas that reached 10,000 supporters between early May 2022 and early ...

New Lego Ideas sets announced in production.

London phone booth and Nightmare Before Christmas Halloweentown

two isn't a few - such teases in the video.

Shame, there were some strong candidates in that round that I'd have liked to have seen.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, didn't expect that. I'll def get the Nightmare before Christmas set most likely

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
A phone booth and a diorama of Nightmare Before Christmas? 😭

This had amazing ideas and they went with those two.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Dammit.. I was going to buy the (not UCS) Falcon this weekend for the points, but it's sold out. Grr..