JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
I've always gotten some flack for this haha.

But in Mass Effect 1 at the very end when you're in the Citadel and the glass window shatters and you step out and the camera pans upwards and you are now defying gravity by looking at the deep pit but it's off in the horizon.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The undisputed greatest moment in video game history:

JfA1sEV.gif

- You're playing DMC5 from Hideaki Itsuno with all the original voice actors back after 11 years
- You're fighting Vergil as Nero
- After a quiet, strings-only opening theme, you're prompted to hit the Devil Trigger button
- Hang on, Nero doesn't have a Devil Trigger though...
- FUCK YOU!
- Music switches over to a high energy remix of Nero's theme as Nero DTs for the first time, this game is dropping new mechanics on you in the final bossfight
The very existence of this game is such an incredible thing. I couldn't believe It was back when it was announced.

I wanna day Ending E in Nier Automata. Won't post the video because spoilers but that was fucking beautiful.

Also, while a trailer, this shit was jaw dropping:

This too:
guiltygear_holyshit_zps4541e85c.gif

Don't get me started on Strive. ArcSys are wizards.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
That moment in KOTOR. I remember being so shocked I had to reset the Xbox to go through it all again just to take in what had happened.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
The whole fleet arriving for the final battle of Mass Effect 3. You already assume it's gonna be a lot of ships, but then you see the Normandy relay in followed by countless others and they just keep coming.

I11xvB.gif

Followed closely by the beginning of the battle, when all the ships start firing at once and you really feel the power behind the giant fleet you assembled.

XWcqYGn.gif

(And as others have said, also Final Fantasy VII Remake. The entire game. This includes the meta sense of me rushing to message boards to discuss it the second I finished my first playthrough.)

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Too many to count and that's why i'm a lifelong fan of the medium and the moments it's given me

...that being said, definitely Ashtray Maze from Control :)

Oct 28, 2017
I remember not moving for like a solid minute because I thought I was in a cut-scene still. Then minutes later with the bathysphere ride and seeing Rapture....Bioshock is filled with these momenets.

maxresdefault.jpg
Now that you mention it I just realized I did the same thing when I first played the demo lol.
My pick would be the first time you meet a giant in Majora's mask.
I was in awe, and I played the game way way WAY past when it originally released.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
that scene in FF 7, its pretty shock to me the developer dare to did that

end credit Nier Automata

Gwent in The Witcher 3

Animal Crossing : New Horizons did number of unexpected thing to me in last few weeks (my first AC Games mind you)

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
For me it's never been about set pieces (sans exceptions), rather vistas, locations and vibes:

1. In Bloodborne when you have sufficient Insight, you see more of the world you already were occupying. Without sufficient Insight, the world appears thus:

eOCAbtB.jpg

and

lPK37fO.png

SN6SHid.png

2. Again, in Bloodborne I was blown away when I
H7bmr8q.png

ibQlPDx.png

3. Yet again, in Bloodborne when I somehow RSVP'd myself into the secret location another sub-secret level. Suddenly this was Castlevania:

RerbSDx.png

4. Mass Effect 1 Citadel. I can not quite quantify the amount of time I spent there just going around to explore and take in the atmosphere. These three pieces of music were cornerstones of that experience:
That moment in KOTOR. I remember being so shocked I had to reset the Xbox to go through it all again just to take in what had happened.

I never got to enjoy that moment; a friend of mine accidentally spoiled it before I played the game.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
Not like a huge action set piece, but This walk up moment was just so perfect. The mood, the music, the lighting from the moon. It was so surreal. Got chills.
ShadowyMintyDwarfmongoose-size_restricted.gif
feel like i could pick many moments and sequences from RDR2 but this one's near the top. had to stop several times while just exploring to take everything in as well. it's a stunning achievement from top to bottom.

as far as recent releases go, those first moments of discovering Libertalia in UC4 were unforgettable. and then you get to spend, like, 6 hours there. it's awesome.

FF7 Remake had several moments too. the whole beginning of Chapter 3 (getting off the train with the main theme playing all the way up to stepping foot in the slums with those somber piano chords in the background) made me feel nostalgia for a game i had never played before lol

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everything in Wind Walker's endgame from the Ganon fight to the ending is bittersweet as hell. I haven't felt something like that in a long time.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
God of war 3 - The first 20 minute set piece.

Uncharted 3- The ship set piece, i loved everything about it, and i think it's the best set piece the series have ever done.

Oct 8, 2019
Having one right now as I go through the destruction of Sector 7 in Final Fantasy VII Remake. The part where some incidental dialogue has someone mention that she wish she hadn't make it out gives me chills.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Exploring Valak mountain for the first time...

And then the night came...

Oh my, it was amazing

...Waiting for the DE version.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Just recently with Resident Evil 3.

This freaking moment right here at 1:37. Jill picking up a big ass gun and firing a shot that cracks the floor around her is just so damn badass. Plus, I love the transition in the music too. Probably my favorite moment in the series now.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Literally just riding through the forest/landscape at any point in RDR2 on PC - it's un-fucking-real how beautiful that game is.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly there's been a lot of great choices in this thread but one I haven't read that crossed my mind was when I stepped outside the space station in Dead Space 1 for the first time. The deafening lack of noise of outerspace paired with the stunning vista of space kinda floored me.

There are many more I can name but this is one that I thought I should mention since it might not be by anyone else.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In no particular order:

"Meeting" Shodan in SystemShock 2

Half Life:Alyx - Jeff

Watching my first big battle untold in Command and Conquer

Catching the boat in Everquest

The transition to year 2 in Grim Fandango

Oct 25, 2017
There's probably been many, but the most recent was towards the end of FFVII Remake
Seeing the outside of the Shinra building, and then working your way inside was incredible

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 3 Remake:

Coming out of the sewer. Had no idea Jill was going to be grabbed like that and thrown like a rag doll. At 28:56.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The Outer Wilds is the most jawdropping game i've played in many years. Everything from the first flight and realizing it basically checks all my boxes of what i want from a scifi game and more. I've never had so many moments that made my heart actually race and my stomach just tickle akin to riding a roller coaster as i had when i played this. They truly nailed the feeling of scale, loneliness while also maintaining such a character and warmth to so much of the game. The best game from 2019 and one of the best games of all time imo.

SeveralDishonestCowbird-max-1mb.gif

Dont be fooled by the fact that they come through it fast, those planets are big.
Recently, it has the crown for me too.
  • The scale of it
  • The intelligence of the puzzles
  • Just riding with your ship
  • Playing with gravity
  • Environmental puzzles
When you aren't playing the game, you are thinking about it, sometimes dream about it.

You finish the game and then, it strikes you "wait, they put all of this in a short time loop, what kind of minds does that! " And for the first time, I was mind blown, not the fireworks one (that I had multiple times), but explosion one, that was too much.
The Witness shares some of this.

People needs to play that game. Maybe it won't be your taste (especially if you hate puzzles), but this is a unique experience in our very conventional media.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Lightning dragon in breath of the wild. I entered the jungle almost as a mistake over some mountains and fell down. The atmosphere, the fog, then the holy shit moment of popping outta the lake. It was magical and I'm glad I didn't have them existing spoiled for me.

Most recently, the reveal at the end of the final zone of FF14 Shadowbringers. It was literal jaw drop wtf is this moment and it only continues to pay off until that final story dungeon and trial. That was a magical finale.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The undisputed greatest moment in video game history:

JfA1sEV.gif

- You're playing DMC5 from Hideaki Itsuno with all the original voice actors back after 11 years
- You're fighting Vergil as Nero
- After a quiet, strings-only opening theme, you're prompted to hit the Devil Trigger button
- Hang on, Nero doesn't have a Devil Trigger though...
- FUCK YOU!
- Music switches over to a high energy remix of Nero's theme as Nero DTs for the first time, this game is dropping new mechanics on you in the final bossfight
this was the most recent for me

Final boss fight in GoW2018 was it before that

Minotaur

Oct 25, 2017
Never really. The only time I remember feeling like this was when I was watched the end of the DBZ Frieza saga and the next episode didnt start from episode one again. Blew my mind.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Ahh...almost forgot:
FFXIV Heavensward ---- when you get to that story moment and then that boss fight where that music play.
FFXIV Shadowbringers ---- when that thing happen early in the game to show the stakes, then the whole backstory of the villain and then the cutscene before and after the final boss fight.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Going to Menae in Mass Effect 3 and then seeing all the reapers and the planet burning in the background was a pretty cool sight.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
The ashtray maze in Control literally blew me away. Probably my favorite gaming moment of 2019

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel like I'm easily wowed so to pick just one I would say the opening to The Last of Us.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
- The New Donk City festival in Mario Odyssey

- Stranger vs Kratos fight in God of War 2018

-
Blades of Chaos sequence
in God of War 2018

- The final scene
with Thor
in God of War 2018

- The blast-off into Columbia in Bioshock Infinite

- The sheer scale of the King's Fall raid in Destiny 1. Still one of the most impressive environments I've ever seen in a game.

- Ashtray Maze in Control

- The sudden
death of your horse
at the end of Red Dead Redemption 2.
After you've spent so much time with your horse, named it, brushed it, fed it, etc. and then you have to sit there and watch it die in front of you. Absolutely heartbreaking and my jaw was on the floor when it happened.

- Countless vistas in Uncharted 4, especially on the final stretch of chapters

- The final battle on the Citadel in Mass Effect 1

- The side mission in Witcher 3 Blood and Wine where
Gaunter O'Dimm's theme starts playing towards the very end and you realize that he was the one who cursed the woman all along

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
Uncharted series had my mouth legit on the floor for some parts.

I think first when you are inside the high rise building and it starts to collapse with you INSIDE during a fire fight. The whole physics simulation with tables and papers and enemies slipping then sliding then falling was nothing short of amazing to me.

Then again in the scene where to me for the first time in a game during a Chase scene I was fighting on a truck then I saw a Jeep chasing and I thought in that moment *wouldn't it be cool if I could jump to that jeep* so I ran and attempted the jump FULLY expecting to hit an invisible wall or reach a fail state.. but nope apparently this was the intention of the game the whole time... I was FLOORED.

I feel like games for the most part hold our hands and especially so with adventure games and especially with uncharted, but that was so unexpected for me. I still think about it.

On small moment that had my jaw on the floor again was for the Hades fight in God of war. The mechanic where you have to chop off hades' skin and then kill it before it reattaches to him was just jaw dropping to me