• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
9723576734_421153e608_o.gif
This was an awesome moment.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Most recent significant one was Half Life Alyx....definitely for the ending which I won't discuss however another big one was right at the start when you are being led by the drone and a strider mounts the buildings and walks over you, just the combination of the surprise, the scale of everything in that moment and my own personal love of that world was just jaw dropping, it's going to sound pathetic but I literally had tears.

Other highlights that really made me pause:
  • The last guardian has a sequence around the middle of the game with a collapsing tower that I thought was incredible.
  • The moment in God of War 2018 in one of the GIF's above with the dragon and what happens after. I think the music in this part also really stood out. The Stranger fight might also be the best opening to any game recently.
  • Use of music in Alan Wake, especially one track that plays between chapters called The Poet and the Muse. Love it.
  • Singing in the bar in Disco Elysium.
This is an interesting topic as there are some games that I love which don't necessarily have moments that really stick out like this.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Modern Warfare 1
DescriptiveSophisticatedAsiaticwildass-max-1mb.gif

Jedi Fallen Order
4a9b3dcb50f8718066c5f87adbe5d9eb330fc36f.gifv

Kingdom Hearts 2
WTWGQhc.gif

Super Smash Bros Brawl
InexperiencedSeparateGoa-size_restricted.gif

God of War 3
3x34r2.gif

SOMA
CKl63oV.gif

Titanfall 2
giphy.gif

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
tumblr_nz6sdrCAc51s01sc3o2_540.gif

Assassin's Creed 2
3x35vi.gif

DarthFeanor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Mass Effect dialogs between missions and background conversations that made the world look massive and my actions meaningful.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
God of War's opening section from when you chop a tree down to fight a mysterious shit talking stranger might be the most incredible gaming sequence ever created. Left me so shook that I immediately started the game over again to replay it. I don't think I've ever don't that

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Ori and the Blind Forest, the end of the first major dungeon.

Escaping the Ginso Tree.
ImpoliteLimitedElver-size_restricted.gif

Was so blown away because A. That took me ages to get to and B. the payoff was so amazing with the music and the visuals.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
- Journey: Slide, and ending part
- Too moments to name in FFVIIR
- God of War: the entire franchise. I'll add the first boss from GOW PS4. Boat to .. well you know... Lot of jaw dropping moments sometimes when something opens up. It looks like a concept designer's wet dream: the game.
- Shadow of the Colossus: All boss battles, aka the entire game.
- Some of the missions Detroit Become Human and The Witcher III
- Uncharted 4: Madagascar set piece (the only one). Train sequence in the DLC.
- Resogun: when shit went off the rails.
- When I played FIFA and in one game there was good AI, no script issues, and no input lag.

Missing a ton more but these are some recent ones off the top of my head

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Honestly, for me, at the moment, FFVII Remake is the perfect definition of jaw dropping moment, but it lasted the entirety of the game. Currently on my second playthrough and I am still amazed by everything.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Some great suggestions already

BF3's Plane mission.
Driveclub rain gameplay
The ending of Journey
When you play as Ciri in TW3
Uncharted 4 libirtalia

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud doing a crazy Motorcycle jump and just lopping of the propellers off a helicopter

Grounded story be dammed that entire chase was so fun. Felt like how I would imagine it as kid when I played the original

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
A recent one, the entire last level and final boss of doom eternal. Just pure insanity. Like ho-ho-holy shit insanity.

Beating the sawmill horde in days gone for the first time too.

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 once you get to the castle and start fighting the monks. First set of stairs I shot one in the leg and the "suplex" prompt appeared and his head went squish. It was so unexpected and over-the-top in the best way.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The last part of Antichamber. Also the first time you see the tower in Talos Principle. And Iconoclasts when you meet the real bad guy. Lots of times really. I don't even remember the games.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Intro to Breath of the Wild
A few moments in FF7R
Roughly every 5 mins in HL: Alyx

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
God of War 2018, 2 moments
Kratos getting the Blades of Chaos, and the reveal of Atreus being Loki. Then Googling Loki and boom, Jormungandr is his kid in Norse mythology.

JesterLaughs

Banned
Apr 1, 2020
One of the stand outs for me in recent memory is Titan fall 2 - that game is just designed so well.

that button prompt had me like holy shit!

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Not because of visuals or anything but because of what I was reading during Star Door 15 in Trails in the Sky The 3rd. I was absolutely disgusted when I was done reading.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The right answer is every single boss fight in God Of War 3.

Also, the ending of God of War PS4. Warning, spoilers.

DeliciousFluidBackswimmer-size_restricted.gif

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God of War 2018, 2 moments
Kratos getting the Blades of Chaos, and the reveal of Atreus being Loki. Then Googling Loki and boom, Jormungandr is his kid in Norse mythology.
I did NOT know that last part.

Kinda makes you wonder about the mural of a snake coming out of what seemed to be a dead Kratos

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I dropped my jaw and had a stupidly big smile on my face during FF7R's Honey Bee Inn sequence.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I knew it existed in the game, but the sheer scale of the snake in Sekiro is still insane to me. Like I'm genuinely terrified of the thing, and I have no other qualms with snakes. Every time I just see it in the game I just swear loudly and briefly panic.

tumblr_prmhxtiKpr1rw536m_540.gif

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
The right answer is every single boss fight in God Of War 3.

Also, the ending of God of War PS4. Warning, spoilers.

DeliciousFluidBackswimmer-size_restricted.gif

The jaw dropping part is that you don't get to play it!

:P

I knew it existed in the game, but the sheer scale of the snake in Sekiro is still insane to me. Like I'm genuinely terrified of the thing, and I have no other qualms with snakes. Every time I just see it in the game I just swear loudly and briefly panic.

tumblr_prmhxtiKpr1rw536m_540.gif

What you can do to this snake later on is definitely a jaw-dropper, loved it.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
In chronological order:
Joust for Atari.
Sonic! For mega drive, green hill.
Virtua Racing in megadrive. The fuuuuuuture!!!
Resident evil saturn. Gore and live action!
Baldur's gate 2, exiting Irenicus dungeon.
World of Warcraft, kael'thas fight.
The hills in GTA San Andreas.
The fishing hamlet in Bloodborne.
Wipeout VR, 2048 circuits.
Doom Eternal's ballet with metal music.
Control, ashtray maze.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I did NOT know that last part.

Kinda makes you wonder about the mural of a snake coming out of what seemed to be a dead Kratos
The game also has a very small hint about Atreus being Jormungadr's father, at one point when Mimir and Jormungadr talk Jormungandr says that Atreus looks familiar to him. I'm also still not convinced that the person on that mural is Kratos, all the body parts where Kratos has his tattoo are missing and the clothes worn by that man don't appear to be anything Kratos would wear to me.

Oct 27, 2017
First time reaching the end of Journey was a breathtaking experince, I was literally sitting with my mouth open.

More recently disembarking the ship at the last level in Super Mario Odyssey had the same effect. The black and white palette and empty church bells, in contrast with the extravagance of the rest of the game, really drove home how masterful the art and game direction of that game is.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a hard man to impress but in red dead redemption 2 when you first arrive at saint denis did it for me.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The first time seeing and playing Mario 64. The closest thing to come to that for me was first time I played Astro Bot VR

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
A couple that were already mentioned for me were the ending to Darksiders and The Last Guardian, as well as the Asgore fight.

I'm sure there were others as well that I'm just blanking on at the moment, but two that's sticking out in my mind are both from Okami

dd77c97807053e7bd641dd689c664a5c.gif

The fight with Ninetails and seeing it use brush skills when I bring the brush up was just amazing! Similarly with Shiranui when you fight alongside them. The other jaw drop was Shiranui saving Ammy during the time stop.