• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shinichi999

Dec 9, 2021
Well... with the last trailer for Pokémon Scarlet / Violet I have lot of good news that I'd like to tell!

For first time in history we got a trailer completely in Latin American Spanish!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQLmfoETp0

On the other hand, they updated the language description to point out that the spanish translation of this game corresponds to European Spanish:

2warpxL.png

This is actually very surprising because they never did such distinction before. Now I'm completely sure that the next Pokémon video game will include both European Spanish and Latin American Spanish.

Plus, they even added that clarification today in the japanese website!

f3TRHgV.png

I can't wait for the next video game to be revealed! As soon as I have new information I will post it here! :D

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Pointing out when it's LatAm spanish is always correct (as our brazilian friends can attest) but I have to get accustomed to "european spanish" considering we are the only european country with spanish as official language (Andorra has catalonian iirc).

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
well, that's one step at least. pointing out the difference helps for those that don't know it exists or what was the spanish that already existed in the games.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't believe that disclaimer means the next game will have LAS, rather they will specify the variant of Spanish it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Castillian spanish, spanish (spain), classical spanish, etc
don't they have different names without the word "spanish"?
like catalan , gallego, castillian, etc?

Pointing out when it's LatAm spanish is always correct (as our brazilian friends can attest) but I have to get accustomed to "european spanish" considering we are the only european country with spanish as official language (Andorra has catalonian iirc).
Even though it's technically correct, every country talks quiet different than the other, most of the stuff is translated in the mexican variation if i don't remember wrong, so i usually just avoid any variation of spanish completely

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
don't they have different names without the word "spanish"?
like catalan , gallego, castillian, etc?
Here in Spain we refer to our spanish simply as spanish or castilian. Spanish Castilian or European Spanish is only used in applications, websites or any kind of language list to don't confuse with other spanish versions.

Oct 25, 2017
Here in Spain we refer to our spanish simply as spanish or castilian. Spanish Castilian or European Spanish is only used in applications, websites or any kind of language list to don't confuse with other spanish versions.
Yeah, but i mean i never heard anyone say "spanish from catalan" or "spanish from galicia", they just say "catalan" or "gallego" , right?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, but i mean i never heard anyone say "spanish from catalan" or "spanish from galicia", they just say "catalan" or "gallego" , right?
It really depends on the situation, how much the speaker wishes to specify or clarify, and even how they feel about their regional vs state national identity.

If you speak to many spaniards in many contexts you will likely encounter anything from "spanish" to "gallego/manchego/catalán" all the way through "spanish from X".

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Oh, sorry, I didn't understand you.
Galician (gallego), Catalan and Basque are different languages, so yes, we don't refer to them as Spanish X/Y/Z.

You know these are different languages, right?
It's a reasonable confusion if he didn't know about the different Spain's cultures. Learning new things is always marvelous!

Oct 25, 2017
You know these are different languages, right?
That's what i meant, the first tag implied they're all spanish and i never hear them refer to them as spanish (language)

Ojh, sorry, I didn't understand you.
Galician (gallego), Catalan and Basque are different languages, so yes, we don't refer to them as Spanish X/Y/Z.

Yeah, that was my question, i never hear anyone refer to them as "spanish" only the castillian one

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

Nobody refers to them as "spanish", but you might see it in arguments for the defense of these regional languages, since all of them can technically be called "español" (and not "castellano", which is *the* Spanish we know).

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Nobody refers to them as "spanish", but you might see it in arguments for the defense of these regional languages, since all of them can technically be called "español" (and not "castellano", which is *the* Spanish we know).
That a true and weird technicality. LOL
I never understand that logic, and I don't think it's a good strategy to defend all the languages/dialects of Spain over the overwelming use of the castilian, but I'm not a linguist, so...

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So now they finally clarified that they localize to es-ES. Great distinction.

btw, which Latin American Spanish are they gonna add in the next game? es-MX?

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
That a true and weird technicality. LOL
I never understand that logic, and I don't think it's a good strategy to defend all the languages/dialects of Spain over the overwelming use of the castilian, but I'm not a linguist, so...

Unfortunately (and as Karlinel says, I'd rather not open this can of worms fully) it's one of the only arguments that completely shocks and disbarrages the... people who do not like the fact that Spain has many languages :) For anything else, they make up fake news, weird counter-arguments, or they simply go "No you're wrong" and continue to do their little.. yeah.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal

That's not a very good argument, though. Galician, por example, is actually derived from Portuguese, not Spanish. If anything, it should be Galician Portuguese D;

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Even though it's technically correct, every country talks quiet different than the other, most of the stuff is translated in the mexican variation if i don't remember wrong, so i usually just avoid any variation of spanish completely
It's changed throughout time and from studio to studio. Many Fox Kid's series were localized in Argentina back in the day for example, some Nicktoons were done in Venezuela, etc.

Still even if it's mostly done in Mexico by Mexican actors, they tend to do it as "neutral" as possible, in the sense that not even us Mexicans talk like that (most people has an accent that you won't hear in professional voice actors, and not everyone speaks as properly or as correctly as in a localized show or movie).

We've had cases like the actor who plays James from Team Rocket who has been given too much freedom and exaggerates the Mexican accent and phrases (specifically the Mexico City accent or "chilango", because we have a lot of accents in Mexico), but they're counted. And for example in the case of Jake from Adventure Time who fell in the same scenario, eventually was corrected in later seasons (which imo was a mistake).

But if we look at live action series or shows from things like History Channel or Discovery Home & Health, E!, etc, they use some voice actors that I don't know which country they're from, but sound nothing like Mexican, but we've been listening to them for years that we're now used to them, that "neutral accent" and the specific words we never use in a real conversation but we understand their meaning, that's the universal Latin Spanish that we all know and people keep trying to deny that exists.

Yes, we don't SPEAK that neutral language in all countries, or in any country for that matter, because it's the result of this localization, but we hear it and read it and we've been doing that for years, and just like all those movies and tv shows keep doing it to this day, videogames should also receive the same localization because it's more realistic than pretending that each country does its own, and much much better than keep having the one from Spain.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
That's not a very good argument, though. Galician, por example, is actually derived from Portuguese, not Spanish. If anything, it should be Galician Portuguese D;

Oh absolutely, all languages at the end of the day here evolved from Vulgar Latin, not Spanish itself.

Their argument, which I'm not sure it will translate well to English, is that all of those languages are originated and spoken in Spain, therefore any of them at any point could've been called (hypothetically) "Spanish", therefore all of them could hypothetically.. well, be the "Spanish language". It's a very hypothetical/imaginary argument, but in fact the Spanish Constitution does say this in its Article 3:

"Castillian is the official language of the State. All spanish nationals have the responsability of knowing the language and the right to use it.

The rest of the spanish languages will be oficial as well in their respective Autonomies in conformity to their Estatutos."

It's a weird, complicated and interesting topic because it mixes a lot of things, but yeah overall I agree with you its not the best argument :D

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Unfortunately (and as Karlinel says, I'd rather not open this can of worms fully) it's one of the only arguments that completely shocks and disbarrages the... people who do not like the fact that Spain has many languages :) For anything else, they make up fake news, weird counter-arguments, or they simply go "No you're wrong" and continue to do their little.. yeah.
Yeah, better to not open that can. But it's sad so be against other languages. I grow up learning valencian/catalan, and even if I never use it to talk, I still understand it without any problem. I'm grateful to be able to learn it. Knowing languages is great!

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Oh absolutely, all languages at the end of the day here evolved from Vulgar Latin, not Spanish itself.

Their argument, which I'm not sure it will translate well to English, is that all of those languages are originated and spoken in Spain, therefore any of them at any point could've been called (hypothetically) "Spanish", therefore all of them could hypothetically.. well, be the "Spanish language". It's a very hypothetical/imaginary argument, but in fact the Spanish Constitution does say this in its Article 3:

"Castillian is the official language of the State. All spanish nationals have the responsability of knowing the language and the right to use it.

The rest of the spanish languages will be oficial as well in their respective Autonomies in conformity to their Estatutos."

It's a weird, complicated and interesting topic because it mixes a lot of things, but yeah overall I agree with you its not the best argument :D

Ah, I see what you're going for! Ok, it is indeed a weird situation =p They should at the very least be refered to as "languages from Spain".

Oct 25, 2017
but we've been listening to them for years that we're now used to them, that "neutral accent" and the specific words we never use in a real conversation but we understand their meaning, that's the universal Latin Spanish that we all know and people keep trying to deny that exists.

Probably because nobody identifies with it, is just a weird thing, but you can't deny is way closer to Mexican than other countries, probably due to most of the voice actors are from there.

I personally don't deny its existence, I just avoid it unless is its native language (in all, series, video games, movies), as it makes no difference than Spanish from Spain or English personally, I don't talk like them so is another "foreign translation" to me.

Anyway I'm not against it. This is a good thing at the end IMO, as lots of people will enjoy it and kids can stop laughing at all the dick references.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If they ever do LatAm Spanish. es-MX will most likely be the one, and it will be perfectly OK, we have had that sort of "neutral accent" for dubs and subs in the region for so many years, followed closely by Venezuelan dubs, so as long as they dont lean into super hyper regional stuff from Mexico, it would work wonderfully for the whole LatAm region.

Rorschacht

Oct 30, 2017
Little correction: Galician is not derived from Portuguese. The two derive from a older language know today as Galician-Portugese from which the two evolved.
They share a parent, thus their relationship is that of brothers.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017

my guess is that technically it'll be es-LAS, which is a generic latam spanish - basically es-MX but with all the regional quirks stripped out, it's not a language that exists in real-world contexts but it's fairly common for entertainment products

(I don't work at the pokemon company, but I work at a different game company and this is what we use)

Shinichi999

Dec 9, 2021
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't believe that disclaimer means the next game will have LAS, rather they will specify the variant of Spanish it is.

Ehhhhh no, you should read my previous messages. TPCi answered to our campaign and they are already looking for a Latam translator for future Pokémon video games. Plus, the recent Pokémon Trading Card Game Live game included Latam Spanish for the first time.

cY59yac.png

Latam-2.png

AVvXsEingMcZRhveKIJxxn-1wu75tucne4A5CaHK0xWN1Az_bkOgfDzszUMtea2ovxgaoNxCaJHb6G56Y0d3_cGJSjW93bxii2lOq05xd_TLoHYYjuczOygm6wjK8HL_6_pWgNViIiET9d7TZVXQhlY11TXlncicKWBnzZ1V4e-aVAzgYLDuTulHdiilB1zd

So yeah, it's a fact. We did it 😉

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
that is honestly great news, european Spanish for latam speakers is really fucking funny and wonky.

To the point that it's a running meme to make fun of european spanish translations of movie, series and anime titles lol

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Hopefully it's well made, as of late dubs seem to be getting worse and have nothing of "neutral."

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's finally a reality!

And looks like PLZA will be the first main series game with the translation

View: https://x.com/necrolipe/status/1768657440961102213?s=46&t=2LWFFBkfpCYxvdsK4CkzBw

If they're using Latam Spanish for a spinoff then that bodes really well for future mainline titles. Great news for a lot of Latam kids who won't have to go through the weird situation of wondering what some names actually meant.
I'll still be playing in English, as I have for almost 2 decades now, but it's still very nice to see.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
If they're using Latam Spanish for a spinoff then that bodes really well for future mainline titles. Great news for a lot of Latam kids who won't have to go through the weird situation of wondering what some names actually meant.
I'll still be playing in English, as I have for almost 2 decades now, but it's still very nice to see.
Pokémon Legends ZA is a mainline title, not a spinoff.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
Pokemon Legends Z-A is a mainline game, just like Arceus.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
that is honestly great news, european Spanish for latam speakers is really fucking funny and wonky.

To the point that it's a running meme to make fun of european spanish translations of movie, series and anime titles lol

Have you ever seen the drill sargeant scenes from the movie Full Metal Jacket using a castillian translation?

It's supposed to be a serious scene but I laugh so hard my stomach hurts.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
This is great, having spanish and latam spanish options for european and latam people. Let's hope square enix and others enix does the same. For example, in final fantasy xvi, that we have latam spanish dub but not spanish dub 🥲

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
It's supposed to be a serious scene but I laugh so hard my stomach hurts.
there is also a Smallville scene in which Clark and Flash are having a mundane conversation but in Casillian it's so sexual it gets hilarious.
For people who don't speak spanish, in Latin American version he says something like "I could stay in Smallville.. if you can catch me" in castillian it sounds like "I could stay in Smallville... if you fuck me". It's so great haha

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No brazilian portuguese yet again is crazy. I am fairly sure someone at TPCi thinks Brazilians speak spanish, it is the only possible answer

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
there is also a Smallville scene in which Clark and Flash are having a mundane conversation but in Casillian it's so sexual it gets hilarious.
For people who don't speak spanish, in Latin American version he says something like "I could stay in Smallville.. if you can catch me" in castillian it sounds like "I could stay in Smallville... if you fuck me". It's so great haha
It doesn't sound sexual to the target audience. I never get mocking dubs because they sound funny when they're meant for a different target audience and it sounds fine to them. The dub wars are stupid.

I'm glad gamefreak/nintendo/whoever took the right message from this campaign and made a dedicated latam translation, but I've always took issue with the way the campaign was wording things, since it has always sounded like "the spanish translation is bad and offensive and should be changed" rather than "there should be 2 translations". I was kinda expecting them to try to make an awful "neutral" translation that makes nobody happy. Glad they're leaving the Castillian translations alone since they're great (for the target audience, which is what matters).

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
wow I had no idea this has been going on for so long, I couldn't help to read the whole OP in european Spanish accent lol

I remember being stuck with Diablo 2 and european spanish, it was hilarious, but it also really hindered the experience. Pokemon being an all ages game makes this whole thing pretty wild.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Lo logramos!

This is for the best.

What's maddening for me is that I grew up playing many games (Like Ratchet and Clank or Jak) in European Spanish and It was just fine despite differences, but Pokémon for some reason uses very very outdated expressions and regionalisms (according to my friends in Spain) and you get stuff like "The Dick Girl".

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Pokémon GO will include Latin American localization, making it the first game in doing so

View: https://twitter.com/abcboy101/status/1768624284551852379

Attacks are also getting different names, finally

View: https://twitter.com/CentroPokemon/status/1768647056724267099

So "Rayo -> Atactrueno" means they will be using the localization from the anime. Interesting choice.

Anyway, a LATAM Spanish localization for the games has been long overdue so it's nice to finally see it happening.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So "Rayo -> Atactrueno" means they will be using the localization from the anime. Interesting choice.

Anyway, a LATAM Spanish localization for the games has been long overdue so it's nice to finally see it happening.

Using the anime is a good choice considering those names are the most well known.

Edit: Not all of them are based on the anime. "Close Combat" which EU SPN has as "A Bocajarro" was translated to "Cuerpo a Cuerpo" while the anime uses "Combate Cercano"