legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's less "sacrifice" and more...some things just don't work out, and while we can wish things may have gone differently, things just...happen. Seb and Mia had a good, if at times rocky, relationship, but ultimately it was just right place, wrong time. Life goes on, and things just don't always end up how you may have originally thought.

Yeah but the rockiness was only because they were putting their career pursuits over their relationship. We live in a world where we're taught from a young age that fulfilment comes from our career ambitions and so everything should be sacrificed on the altar of ambition. If someone's 'holding you back' cut them out of your life and be the best you you can be! I think the film does a good job at shining a light on that view of the world and asking whether it's worth it.

Like I said, I think it's a valid read of the film in light of what Chazelle did with First Man, which is portraying what is essentially the peak of human achievement to that point, landing a man on the moon, and the way Armstrong sacrifices his family life in pursuit of that goal and (in the film at least, no idea about the actual real life Armstrong) he's unfulfilled.

Hecht

Grummz
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah but the rockiness was only because they were putting their career pursuits over their relationship. We live in a world where we're taught from a young age that fulfilment comes from our career ambitions and so everything should be sacrificed on the altar of ambition. If someone's 'holding you back' cut them out of your life and be the best you you can be! I think the film does a good job at shining a light on that view of the world and asking whether it's worth it.

Like I said, I think it's a valid read of the film in light of what Chazelle did with First Man, which is portraying what is essentially the peak of human achievement to that point, landing a man on the moon, and the way Armstrong sacrifices his family life in pursuit of that goal and (in the film at least, no idea about the actual real life Armstrong) he's unfulfilled.
Yeah I guess that's fair. I just felt that "sacrifice" seemed a little strong a word for it, as it's ostensibly just the choices we make. And while there is absolutely some truth to the notion that we get inundated with the sense that we have to have a career above all else, at some point we all likely just need to have some sort of career to survive - they weren't exactly living well before they managed to grab a role/join the band. But yeah, it comes down to which path you end up choosing and what is left behind as a result.
I haven't seen First Man so I won't comment on that bit.

OP
OP
mavericktopgun
Oct 27, 2017
Very unknown movie but realistic and bittersweet too.

dn0dFUa.jpg

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Really hate this movie and the fact that it is not critical towards its protagonists who are both awful, selfish people.
Instead, we got people celebrating their romance as something beautiful that just couldn't work out. Yeah, it couldn't because both of the main characters are idiots.
It's basically neoliberal propaganda.

Luckily we got Moonlight in the same year, one of the greatest movies ever made.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Really hate this movie and the fact that it is not critical towards its protagonists who are both awful, selfish people.
Instead, we got people celebrating their romance as something beautiful that just couldn't work out. Yeah, it couldn't because both of the main characters are idiots.

Luckily we got Moonlight in the same year, one of the greatest movies ever made.

I can understand not caring for a film but this seems like a disjointed series of complaints.

OP
OP
mavericktopgun
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for your opinion.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You want bittersweet + great, great music? Friends, stop everything and watch ONCE:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

On topic, I love the opening song of this movie, and the audition song. The way emma's voice catches near the end just gets me. I wish the film kept the energy of the first two numbers. The direction has a great propulsive feel that it doesn't sustain over time. The leitmotifs are great, especially when they come back in the last song. Haven't watched it in a while, and not every song hits as hard, but I do love it.
Once is also fantastic. I love the music, but especially the intro with Glen just screaming his lungs out as a busker. Also bittersweet as hell. Fantastic movie.
If you liked Once, check out Sing Street from the same director also

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
If you liked Once, check out Sing Street from the same director also

YES! Sing Street is so good!

Also to anyone interested, the ending of La La Land feels like an homage to the ending of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, which is one of my all time favorite movies. It's a recitative musical, it's beautiful and focuses on young love and heartache.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah you're gonna have to explain the propaganda part…

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
It took me a few tries to get through the whole thing. It's a very visually vibrant movie and I got a few good tunes out of it but like yt cis het romance? I can't anymore.

The whole Oscar ordeal cracks me up. It really pitted two polar opposite movies against each other for the rest of time. That said I'll never everrr get tired of Moonlight.

Edit: sorry I shouldn't have come into this thread I broke my own rule: just let people like what they like!

Oct 25, 2017
It took me a few tries to get through the whole thing. It's a very visually vibrant movie and I got a few good tunes out of it but like yt cis het romance? I can't anymore.

The whole Oscar ordeal cracks me up. It really pitted two polar opposite movies against each other for the rest of time. That said I'll never everrr get tired of Moonlight.

Edit: sorry I shouldn't have come into this thread I broke my own rule: just let people like what they like!
Thank god the Oscar snafu wasn't reversed

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. I do not find the ending sad but more like bittersweet, it's a great ending though. Their relationship helped propel them to achieve their dreams because sometimes all you need is that one person in the right time to wholly believe in you and lift you to get there and I found that angle quite refreshing when it comes to romantic or musical films in general.
This 100%. It wasn't a devastating ending for me but it was bittersweet. Some people leave your life but can leave a lifelong impact.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to check it out because I only think about it because of the Oscars debacle and the memes that came out of it.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Reading the replies is kind of funny. So my buddy in high school met this really cute girl that just moved to town and she was very attractive but such a snob. I don't think she was a bad person but she just constantly complained about the small town she moved to. "We get it, you have money in California but you're stuck here blah blah blah."

Anyways a year later she moves away and around six months after that she's on MTVs my Super Sweet Sixteen. And she really is rich and she even brought some of her friends from the small town (one of my friends little sister) to the party and make sure to shit on our small town more.

This is related because she's currently dating Superman, Geralt of Riviera himself Henry Cavill. Small Worlds.

On topic, I love La La Land and let me second whoever stated Portrait of the Lady on Fire. I also really enjoy the Before Trilogy is you're looking for a happier version of one of those.

OP
OP
mavericktopgun
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the replies is kind of funny. So my buddy in high school met this really cute girl that just moved to town and she was very attractive but such a snob. I don't think she was a bad person but she just constantly complained about the small town she moved to. "We get it, you have money in California but you're stuck here blah blah blah."

Anyways a year later she moves away and around six months after that she's on MTVs my Super Sweet Sixteen. And she really is rich and she even brought some of her friends from the small town (one of my friends little sister) to the party and make sure to shit on our small town more.

This is related because she's currently dating Superman, Geralt of Riviera himself Henry Cavill. Small Worlds.

On topic, I love La La Land and let me second whoever stated Portrait of the Lady on Fire. I also really enjoy the Before Trilogy is you're looking for a happier version of one of those.

Are you talking about Selena Gomez?

OP
OP
mavericktopgun
Oct 27, 2017
So I could rewatch this tonight, and in 4K HDR. The colors pop so much in HDR! The whole experience is such a treat for the eyes.

And this is such a vibrant, heartfelt film. What an ending... I had a great time rewatching this.

kEi3WV8.gif

Thanks for the thread! :)

You're welcome! :)
Glad you enjoyed rewatching the movie. And yes 4K HDR is awesome! It's a completely different feeling while watching :)

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

So Henry Cavill is dating a crappy snob now? That's interesting.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
It really is, but it's such an amazing movie that it's ok. I went into this skeptical the first time as I'm not a big musical fan, but I came out blown away. There's really only 4-5 or so musical #s and they're all great and it's just a great, great movie.