Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
There's just something about that movie that makes me despise it

Whenever it's on, I just have to change it to something more palatable like Manos: The Hands of Fate

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Or any of the other stuff , ha .

The movie just didn't move me at all. It's the same cliché story of young artists who REALLY WANT TO MAKE IT (and not give into the man if possible k thx). They magically make it but oh no, Ryan Gosling can't do REAL Jazz - shock horror.

Then they see each other at the end Ok? I've run into exes and everytime was awkward and I instantly remembered why we broke up in the first place. It definitely didn't hit me as much as other people here, but that's probably on me since I've been married for 10 years and my past relationships seem quaint in comparison. I feel for those who've gone through a breakup and watched this.

Plus the musical aspect was meh. I love musicals but modern musicals need stars and stars aren't necessarily trained to sing and dance anymore and that's something that's always irked me. They're passable, but then you go back and watch something like White Christmas or West Side Story and I miss musicals when that kind of talent was necessary.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
As a musical I found it unimpressive. As a story it was ok, but the white saviour stuff is a bit ehhhh.

This movie was pure heartache alright, because of how fucking awful it was. Jazz is dead? C'mon. What was this white pandering bs. The entire enterprise was just straight up dismissive to black presence in LA.
Gosling's character doesn't "save" jazz. In fact, I interpreted the ending as him realizing he just wanted to own a jazz club and could have followed Mia and done it anywhere. Essentially, he realizes that Legend's character was right when he says this

(Start at 1:34)

And of course Legend's character is right. All forms of art and entertainment grow and evolve.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Like the writer was looking for the sappiest choice, short of killing one of them.

Plus it felt abrupt: oh, Gosling drove back to you to take you to an audition and … oh … let's break up. And… oh fast forward, she's had a baby with another guy.. BUT THEY SEE EACH OTHER AGAIN! Cue music number.
Hm, okay. That's the first time I've heard this line of critique. Everything about the ending felt like a natural progression from the events that led before, and the final scene was a bittersweet send off that felt earned and honest to me.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I think I would of liked this film a lot more if it came out before Whiplash.

also John Legend's character was handled very weirdly. They make him out to be an antagonist of sort because he happened to be a proponent of new age jazz. Nothing wrong with trying to evolve the music genre.

The movie does handle John Legend's character a bit weirdly. We follow Gosling's Sebastian, so we're supposed to empathize with him. But the movie also makes it pretty clear he's just a bit of a stubborn, self important prick. At least in the beginning. And Legend's character is the one who calls him out on it. Saying he can't be a revolutionary if he's such a traditionalist. Saying jazz doesn't need saving. Also just straight up calling Sebastian a pain in the ass. Which Sebastian doesn't even argue with.

And in the end Legend's character is 'right'. He is the one making big bucks revolutionizing jazz, while Sebastian has come to grips with taking a less important role in jazz history. Sebastian's club is 'not doing too bad'. Which he's completely fine with. He hasn't 'saved jazz' the way he envisioned, in the end he's just doing what he's come to love. Running a place where people can enjoy the same thing he enjoys. Something he was very adamantly against in the beginning. 'Just old folks listening to jazz in the Lighthouse.'

Last edited:

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I went to see this with my best friend who I don't get to see that often and had been having vague issues with at the time. We met up at the theater, watched the film, then immediately said bye after it ended and then I sat in my car for about half an hour crying.

…Which is silly…but I'm in LA, was looking out at the freeway, it was nighttime, I had just spent time with a friend who I was struggling with at the time. So the film shook me.

I don't like the movie, though. I eye-roll heavily at how much this film tries to be a loving tribute to Hollywood especially when it really only hones in on the privileged, whitewashed side of Hollywood. I do admire that this film knows how to pull emotions from the viewer. I definitely resonated with Mia and Sebastian's relationship or I wouldn't have cried in the parking lot for an unnecessary amount of time…and the cinematography is beautiful. The entire ending sequence is great.

The opening sequence on the freeway pissed me off because it was so inaccurate lol. The fucking Harbor freeway 105/110 carpool lane transition lane shenanigans took me out of the whole experience. Not to mention the fact they had to close those lanes to film it? I was so heated when I watched.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Movie is ok overall imo, I think I just had the wrong expectations going into it, and I think it's the movie's fault partly. I think the movie peaked very early on by the time the first party with her friends is done. After that the pace of the movie completely changed, it went from what was being presented to me as a musical by the movie's opening number and number with her friends prepping for the party to the rest of the movie. The movie was fine, I just felt confused as the type of "musical" this movie became is not what I expected or I feel the movie started presenting to me.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Yeah, that movie was a gut punch. It got to me in a way that most movies don't. Beautiful movie, but I don't want to watch it again. Still listen to the songs though.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Plus it felt abrupt: oh, Gosling drove back to you to take you to an audition and … oh … let's break up. And… oh fast forward, she's had a baby with another guy.. BUT THEY SEE EACH OTHER AGAIN! Cue music number.

I don't agree with any of this. I haven't seen La La Land in a while so I can't pinpoint specific moments easily but the movie makes it abundantly clear that their relationship, despite lots of bright spots, simply isn't working. That they want different things, are headed in different directions and that it has come to an organic end.

You can't accuse the movie of rushing this at all. In fact, one of the criticisms I might level at the movie is the middle can sag a little and is a trifle too slow. If you couldn't see that it was made abundantly clear that they had reached a natural breaking-up point then you honestly just weren't paying attention.

What happens in the interim period between breaking up and them seeing each other again is nearly irrelevant apart from the quick recap we get. This is a movie about Stone's and Gosling's romance, the focus has to stay on that. We don't need to see everything about Stone's new relationship with another person, it's irrelevant. All we need is a very quick recap of where they are now followed by them seeing each other again one last time.

The contrast is the point. The contrast between where they were and where they are now has to happen quite quickly in the movie for it to have any emotional punch. For the 'what could have been' musical number to have the resonance it does. The final musical number and scene would have been emotionally dimmed if there was loads of on-screen fluff between them breaking up and seeing each other again.

The structure of the movie going from break-up to quick recap to what could have been to final goodbye is extremely deliberate and purposeful.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I saw it recently and thought it was just… ok. The story was a bit cliché, the ending seemed shoehorned to make you cry and the choreography was really meh. Like, the actors learned how to dance, ok, but they're not dancers.
If you watch a lot of romance movies it just ok. I wouldn't put it in my top 10. I'm ok with those type of endings but the only one to ever get was Roman Holiday. That last turn Gregory Peck does at the end is just so feels.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
If you watch a lot of romance movies it just ok. I wouldn't put it in my top 10. I'm ok with those type of endings but the only one to ever get was Roman Holiday. That last turn Gregory Peck does at the end is just so feels.

I still need to see that one! Ugh, I just need to clone myself to find more time in the day.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that ending is superb. Makes the film go from good to great.

One of the best interpretations of "rose tinted glasses" in media. That ending is all about them imagining things better than they really were.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I love it

Realistic as fuck. Life isn't always happily ever after, but it always isn't total shit. You win some, you lose some

q4core

Feb 26, 2021
DMV
I like Whiplash a little better, but that and La La Land are an amazing pair of movies to start a writing/directing career with. Maybe only Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction surpass that combo.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I find the ending to be more tolerable if you realize
Ryan Gosling is happy too. But yeah, maybe he's not.

Why would any sane person rather be with the drummer from That Thing You Do?

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was okay, mostly carried by its cast more than anything, but I'm not really into romance movies (even if they're failed romances). Seb driving out to Nevada to get Mia to go to the audition, the what-if dream sequence, and the two exchanging knowing glances at his club felt a bit too "Hollywood", though.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Great movie, loved it on first watch in the theater, still liked it a lot on repeat viewings. Gosling and Stone had great chemistry, and I thought the songs were quite memorable and enjoyable.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Just a beautiful movie I remember the first time I saw the trailer the way the color grading was done so damn special.

Oct 26, 2017
I was floored by it on several layers. Emotionally, I reacted to it the same way coming from one of those dreams one has when you meet someone you fall for before waking up and realizing it was a dream. The movie beautifully encapsulates how people can have a profound impact on your life even if they're no longer a part of it.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, that movie was a gut punch. It got to me in a way that most movies don't. Beautiful movie, but I don't want to watch it again. Still listen to the songs though.

Yeah. Great movie but fuck that for making me cry in front of my mom and sister at the theater. I'm fine with men crying and doing that in public. Me as a person I like to handle my shit behind closed doors lol

You know I just watched Portrait of a girl on fire really didn't do much for me. Good setting and acting but just kind of a meh story wise. Shit happens and the movie doesn't have a ton to say really. Not bad maybe I was just too hype for it

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
i had broken up with a girl who kinda looked like emma stone before seeing this, did not have a great time.
movies good but I'm glad moonlight won

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Yup… thinking about the movie is like staring at the sun. Doing it for too long starts to hurt like hell. Not sure when I'll rewatch even though i loved it.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
The movie's ending is easier to accept if you irrationally believe Crazy Stupid Love is its sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
I at least appreciate a relatable ending rather than the usual hollywood-style ending "just get together at the end of the movie and everything will work out". Sometimes things don't work out ya know

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Only movie I've actually considered leaving a theater for. The ending was really well done but basically the only part of the movie I enjoyed

Oct 25, 2017
Great movie, and one of the few pieces of media where I'm not disappointed when others don't like it. That's because it's so obvious from a lot of people's criticims that they want to hate it. The movie goes to lengths to (1) make the actors lack of musicality still work within the feel of the movie story, (2) distinguish itself from a cliched Hollywood movie while still paying tribute to it, (3) make Seb look like a niche traditionalist rather than some "white savior of jazz", and (4) be purposeful with the balance of musical numbers and what's going on in the story.

Excepting the people that didn't like the music and/or didn't care for the message, among some other things, I find it rare to read a criticism and feel it coming from a place of wanting to enjoy it but being left disappointed.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
trying-not-to-laugh-cracking-up.gif

Sleeping Dogs, one of the games ever made