StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
It seems like I will have to replay levels quite a bit to make progress? Is this true or only if you're not good at the game? It's pretty fun but if I have to do every level at least two or three times I think I'll get tired of it.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like I will have to replay levels quite a bit to make progress? Is this true or only if you're not good at the game? It's pretty fun but if I have to do every level at least two or three times I think I'll get tired of it.

This wasn't my experience. I did a lot of the base building stuff and that gives you a lot of upgrade credits. I did not do much farming or doing levels over and over.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I started in New Game+, but got to a point where I kind of just realized I didn't want to play these levels again lol, since I replayed them multiple times already so I just looked up the true ending on YouTube

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I'm at stage 8 or 9 and haven't replayed a single level, and have just upgraded the bases as I go. I've only died twice so far on a boss and failed a level once, and even that was because I didn't understand the objective of the mission at first

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Beat NG+ with all the side objectives, so i got all the cheevos.
Cursed Soh has an amazing design, goddamn.

And i'm going to need that soundtrack asap.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
This seems like one of those game that will be highly regarded for years to come.

It's fantastic and feels like it came out of nowhere.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Once you unlock the upgrade tree for Soh is it still generally better to upgrade classes? Is it better to upgrade all the classes a little or to upgrade a few of them to the max level?
I think unlocking his arrow, the special attack on stunned enemies and the charged special attacks at the end of the combos are super important and quite cheap. The charged attack triangle attack after a combo can stun many/most stronger enemies allowing you to do the special and killing then super fast.

I would also unlock the second, third and fourth talismans so you can equip more stuff and at least the second sword guard. But these are more expensive upgrades (still totally worth it).

I don't use many classes, but I tried to have at least my favorite 2 maxed out and the rest for a specific stage at lvl 3.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
You only need to replay for objectives. Some give musubi so are worth it.

I haven't really had to play many and once I screw up an objective. Turned the game off in frustration and when I turned it back on it was at a checkpoint right before so it helped me not to restart all.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Replaying levels is not required at all to beat the game, since you can reset upgrades and redistribute musubi as much as you want, but it is a good idea to repair bases as you go.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just did the swamp level and that was the first real difficulty spike for me. Even the 3rd boss only took me two attempts.

The flying fuckers that posses your dudes and take them out of action until they die or until sunrise are so punishing, and a few times they got attacked while near the Goddess so their AOE attack chip damaged her to death (since she can't move at night). The soon as they take hold of a villager it seems like you might as well restart the stage, since you're now playing with a man down for the rest of the night.

After about 90 mins of attempts I finally managed to clear it by the skin of my teeth

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to this thread for pointing out how the game is super generous with checkpoints. Makes some of these challenges much easier to do. Had a fun time doing one of the "no villagers" stages, helps that I had the bow unlocked... seriously that is well worth unlocking asap. The guarding and counter unlocks are needed for the challenges anyway, but very fun to use. I said it before but I appreciate how the game has solid tower defence AND character action mechanics... except the NEED to rebind the evade action!
Now finally onto the Marsh, lets see how hard I find it...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
OK, done the marsh. Its... really not as bad as some made it sound. Id argue your biggest strength and weakness are the fact that its a narrow level (well, in essense) so if you protest Yoshiro with a few archers and matlocks then you have a solid foundation if you also hang back (bonus points if you've also leveled up Soh to have the bow at least).
I then kept a Sumo, spear and axe men, a healer and a dude that slows enemies down up front, keeping the main force from swamping up. The special mine move also helps slow enemies down.

Honestly the real challenge for me was doing a no ration and no Yoshiro damage run together lol. That one took several nightly restarts for sure! It was mainly down to figuring out the exact placement and number of ranged NPCs, as keeping the frontal forces was easy, but you'd also have one SOB sneak in and get a lucky hit. Managed it in the end, just need to do the no toxic swamp now. That'll be pretty easy all things considered.

I think what can definitely make things more challenging though is the fact (as far as I could see), there's no rations to be had in the stage. So that can be a problem. As can losing your healer when doing a no ration run!

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I think what can definitely make things more challenging though is the fact (as far as I could see), there's no rations to be had in the stage. So that can be a problem. As can losing your healer when doing a no ration run!
There's a sword guard that gives you a move to rez/heal villagers at the cost of Soh dying. Might be useful there.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Just got the 1000G.

Highly recommend you clean up your first playthrough before going to NG+ (at least objective wise).

The NG+ specific bonus objectives aren't hard but would be a pain if you try to do them all at once with the original batch. While there isn't much issue doing the two new ones at the same time on the NG+ run

Also looks like the game has an extra 25? Musubi? So you can miss a box or two and still have everyone + Soh maxed out.

Took me about 30 hours

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a good setup / tactics for the poison swamp optional objectives? always seem to mess up somehow,, the bomb enemies have gotten me a few times

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just tried the demo. I'm amazed by the aesthetic and visuals. It's such a beautiful game but very gamey. Really enjoyed my time with it and will definitely buy this, probably at full price

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Anyone got a good setup / tactics for the poison swamp optional objectives? always seem to mess up somehow,, the bomb enemies have gotten me a few times

is this the don't touch the poison? Big thing is to just hold the line with your crew. If you have Sumos, Rifles, and Cannons, they won't get very close.

Biggest thing is to make sure you're going into the stage with the max amount of orbs you can.

You can visit all your completed camps and grab them in the tent. Then fight the first boss and repeat all the camps again until you're full.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
What an interesting game and a nice surprise. I'm only about 4-5 levels in but it's fun for sure.

Oct 27, 2017

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Finally finished it!

Not gonna play New Game +, at least not yet

This game was fantastic. I really enjoyed my time with it, despite the busywork it turned into collecting the tributes after the later stages. I read somewhere this is a "remake of a PS2 game that doesn't exist" and yes, it feels like it.

I did cheese my way out of the last two stages, a bunch of sorcerers, 7 or 8, just recharge faster than enemies respawned. The last boss? charging arrow, dodge and run a lot, critical hits. It was pretty easy, but I do think that's sort of a cheese. I read about some electrical attack I never really saw? Maybe it was another boss.

Excellent game, loved it.

Last edited:

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
Wow this game is really good so far, I played about 4 hours today, the sumo guys seem kinda...not great but maybe I am not using them right.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wow this game is really good so far, I played about 4 hours today, the sumo guys seem kinda...not great but maybe I am not using them right.

I find their range is super useful as they can be placed near the Goddess and they'll b-line anything coming towards her and hold them up

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I find their range is super useful as they can be placed near the Goddess and they'll b-line anything coming towards her and hold them up
Yup. I find them great likewise to basically distract oncoming enemies, and upgraded they are quite the powerhouse as well. I usually like to rock at least 1 Sumo per level.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Keep a Sumo in front of your villagers, with enough space between them, that way he will attract all the bomb attacks.

The NG+ specific bonus objectives aren't hard but would be a pain if you try to do them all at once with the original batch. While there isn't much issue doing the two new ones at the same time on the NG+ run

Also looks like the game has an extra 25? Musubi? So you can miss a box or two and still have everyone + Soh maxed out.
I got hit 3 times trying to beat the centipede without getting hit in the boss rush.

And the extra Musubi is weird. I had 0 at the end, having upgraded all the roles and obtained all skills.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to clear the Bamboo Forest this morning. Really gorgeous place once you rid it of Seeth! Not looking forward to the challenge of destroying all pots though, its a pretty twisty turny level, will be tricky to find them all but Im sure its easier than Im making it out to be!

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Do subtitles function in this game? I've had them on the entire time I've played but never seen any. I finished NG+ last night and couldn't understand Soh's words!

MonsterJail

Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Just finished the marsh, one thing I really love about this game is the chillout phase when you go back to villages and restore the

There's something really nice about seeing the areas you had to push inch by inch through enemies and corruption, only you can restore them and see the villagers living in peace

Not really sure what the point of getting or setting snacks is, except once I saw the priestess eating one once

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the marsh, one thing I really love about this game is the chillout phase when you go back to villages and restore the

There's something really nice about seeing the areas you had to push inch by inch through enemies and corruption, only you can restore them and see the villagers living in peace

Not really sure what the point of getting or setting snacks is, except once I saw the priestess eating one once
I think the snacks are just a pointless bonus, but also a fun way to show off food in videogames again. The descriptions make me hungry lol.

And yeah, the chill out portions really do help space you out from the fights. Its a nice way to power up getting more Musubi, but also just a weirdly calming few minutes before you dive into the thick of it again!