Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm stuck...
I really don't know what I can do to defend against it, but the guy just seems to, on a whim, decide to do an AOE on the carriage and yep, that's it for the battle!, what am I doing wrong?

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm stuck...
I really don't know what I can do to defend against it, but the guy just seems to, on a whim, decide to do an AOE on the carriage and yep, that's it for the battle!, what am I doing wrong?

That attack is some BS. I don't know if it's possible to avoid it or even seen it coming.

Try nuking him before he even goes for the AOE. I did full Marksmen squad (so I wouldn't have to worry about them) and Tsuba Guard cooldown Talismans to constant attack his Resist Gauge for a Punishing Attack.

I'm sure there's a even faster way to get him down, but that seemed like the easiest way to do it.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it tonight. Took about 12 hours. I upgraded all the towns and maybe a 1/3 of the side objectives. I liked it overall but didn't end up even trying half the units because the ones I had were so powerful.

I wish there was a little more strategy involved. The gimmicks in some stages were welcome even though they didn't change things drastically. Positioning of troops didn't ultimately matter because I always just grouped everyone around together with a healer and pretty much steamrolled everything.

I haven't played many tower defense games and I would be reluctant to even call this one, but I much preferred the strategy in Pixel Junk Monsters and found that pretty much every tower was useful at some point. I give this a 7/10 overall. Sequel could improve on a lot of things. Ending spoiler: the boss rush in the end was unnecessary. Although I beat every boss on my first try there was no reason to play through all of them again. Especially the spider boss that runs away

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
That attack is some BS. I don't know if it's possible to avoid it or even seen it coming.

Try nuking him before he even goes for the AOE. I did full Marksmen squad (so I wouldn't have to worry about them) and Tsuba Guard cooldown Talismans to constant attack his Resist Gauge for a Punishing Attack.

I'm sure there's a even faster way to get him down, but that seemed like the easiest way to do it.

At this point I was googling cheat engine tables because I was giving up, but hey, full marksmen squad, two healers, got him on my first try! Thanks for the idea.

Beyond the final boss and the previous level being a bit of a low point, overall I really liked the game, it's pretty cool and original, for sure a Clover game at heart

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
Just started this tonight, so apologies if this is a repeat question (I couldn't find it).

I received a Reverence Mazo Talisman. The description says that it "Allows villagers to greet Soh". Is there any point to this one? I only have two talisman spots unlocked so far and have two others that upgrade my health, so I feel like I should just equip those.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to go back into the game and complete the secondary objectives because i didn't have enough Kunitsu-Gami, apparently.

NG+ introduces new objectives (and you can complete both sets in NG+), but since the stages are harder i am completing the first set before starting NG+ (and i've done so up to Adashino Village thus far).

I'm putting those Sorcerers to work, and i'm also using CE to avoid having to visit all base camps to replenish my crystals before each stage. I also changed the bso to the Okami collaboration music to keep it fresh.

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
How are you supposed to equip an archery skill? I've unlocked Oxalis shot but can't see anyway of equipping it anywhere.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very impressed with it so far. It reminds me of those PS2 hidden gems, it's experimental but compelling. This is a more focused experience with a few solid mechanics that are reiterated throughout the game in clever ways. It's not a super expensive game either, but it greatly uses what it does have. This is the type of experience that strikes a balance I'd like to see more of. It's not AAA bloat nor is it a generic low-budget title like "I am Setsuna". There's a lot of heart and soul here.

I really hope Capcom and other major developers make more experimental titles of a similar scale. This game is a impressive achievement.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to go back into the game and complete the secondary objectives because i didn't have enough Kunitsu-Gami, apparently.

NG+ introduces new objectives (and you can complete both sets in NG+), but since the stages are harder i am completing the first set before starting NG+ (and i've done so up to Adashino Village thus far).

I'm putting those Sorcerers to work, and i'm also using CE to avoid having to visit all base camps to replenish my crystals before each stage. I also changed the bso to the Okami collaboration music to keep it fresh.

Secondary objectives completed and all chests found, so i'm satisfied, for real this time.

Good shit Capcom.

Where is that new Onimusha?

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
You select it to the left of the Tsuba guards.

holy shit, how are you supposed to notice this lol

I seriously googled it and checked like 6+ of those bot generated slop guides and had no idea. Searched every single menu and everywhere in the tent, but apparently you need to pixel hunt to find this

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

I seriously googled it and checked like 6+ of those bot generated slop guides and had no idea. Searched every single menu and everywhere in the tent, but apparently you need to pixel hunt to find this

Yep, that and the swaps between the different attack styles, I only got a answer in this thread! Couldn't find it anywhere else online!

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
I hate Renge Marsh... Poison swamp levels are never good in any game lol

Any tips? This level is getting me close to quitting the game altogether.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm what were they thinking with this last boss. I hate fights that are super long and then have crazy attacks where you lose before you even realise what's happened.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
The game has a tutorial prompt with a video telling you where to go when you learn the first archery skill:

Kunitsu-Gami-2024-07-27-15-35-47-244.png

Honstly, this game felt like an elaborated troll to all Onimusha and Okami fans xD
Still really liked it.
At least Okami got a collaboration, which has some great remixes.

View: https://youtu.be/E-MsLHakIJs

I'll be joining Jawmuncher in the Capcom waiting room lmao.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Made a little more progress on this today. Finally got Soh's skill tree unlocked, not sure what I wanna unlock first though, so many good choices lol. Plus Im still leveling up a few of the classes.
It remains incredibly fun, I actually personally love the challenges (at least so far), it adds different ways of handling situations, the "take no damage" challenge had me holding back and, laying mines, and letting my crack team of NPCs to handle the situation!

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Assuming you are making sure the bridges are repaired? There is also a talisman that makes Soh take less damage from the toxic pools, I don't remember where that's unlocked though... maybe that stage itself?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming you are making sure the bridges are repaired? There is also a talisman that makes Soh take less damage from the toxic pools, I don't remember where that's unlocked though... maybe that stage itself?
I dont remember the stage/base name, but you get that talisman from either the rise paddy stage doing the challenges, or completing one of the base objectives for that stage. Its the stage directly before you fight Batsu. I know this because I just unlocked that today so its fresh on my mind.

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020

Yeah repaired the bridges, I just kept getting overwhelmed by the enemies and Yoshiro kept getting killed no matter what I tried 🥴

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017

I used at least one Sumo Wrestler (use 2 if you have enough crystals, one in the front and the other in the back but close to Yoshiro), Archers / Marksmans (3 or 4) to keep the flying enemies at bay, one Ascetic to freeze everything that got close to Yoshiro, and turned the remaining villagers into melee units (to cover blind points).

Remember to fix the power up contraptions with the carpenter (i placed the range units there behind the sumo wrestler to maximize damage) and try to stop Yoshiro in the areas with the spirit ward.

If any of your units gets possessed by a Hidarugami, you must separate them from the rest of your units (in my case it was the Sumo in the front, so i moved him a little further down the path). To kill it before it gets that chance, you must attack with several units at the same time (or kill it yourself with a Tsuba guard attack), because it will start to run towards the villagers the moment it receives the first attack.

Last edited:

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah repaired the bridges, I just kept getting overwhelmed by the enemies and Yoshiro kept getting killed no matter what I tried 🥴
Use the Tsuba Guard that puts a dome around an area and put that around her when things get dicey, buys you some time. I'd also recommended prioritizing ranged Villagers, because the close range ones cant defend a wide area on this stage.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
This game is so cool in a weird unique Japanese way. Would love to see more game like this coming from Capcom and others.

They are really firing on all cylinders these days. I can only dream we get Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Lost Planet and Mega Man X back in some way, They have too right? So many games from dormant franchises these days.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
So is New Game+ largely just the same stages and stuff with just additional stuff at the end?

Yea just finished NG+. There are new enemy types in all the stages I think, some of the later monsters start showing up early.

Otherwise yea, just an extra final boss, a better ending and all that comes with (new art scrolls, new credits song).

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Yea just finished NG+. There are new enemy types in all the stages I think, some of the later monsters start showing up early.

Otherwise yea, just an extra final boss, a better ending and all that comes with (new art scrolls, new credits song).

Alright, I'll probably play through it just to see the true ending.

This game is so cool in a weird unique Japanese way. Would love to see more game like this coming from Capcom and others.

They are really firing on all cylinders these days. I can only dream we get Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Lost Planet and Mega Man X back in some way, They have too right? So many games from dormant franchises these days.

Anything is possible, but I feel like the only lock of that list is probably Mega Man. Lost Planet I don't think we'll ever see again. Onimusha was part of that big leak a few years back, but it hasn't materialized so not sure if it's still in development, but it shows they have some interest in it. Dino Crisis seems like something they'd revive, but they really don't seem to have a lot of interest in and all the RE teams are constantly busy so I don't know who would do it

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
the toxic swamp level is insane, hardest difficulty spike ive seen in a game and for whatever reason one of the hardest things ive ever played. i was not expecting kunitsu gami to become the hardest game ive played in 2024 and i just beat sekiro lmao.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is it realy difficulty spikes or just people not understanding mechanics? Because after the "complaints" about the third boss I gotta take such comments with a grain of salt ;)

Anyway, a few more stages and challenges done today. Im still focusing on upgrading my troops over Soh, I may end up focusing on his skill tree in NG+ at this rate we'll see. This is a bizarrely relaxing game for me, I just love the loop of getting my troops, surviving the night, and then rebuilding the town and powering up more. I feel Capcom nailed the feel of this, as usually its a genre Id just (almost) never touch, and the few times I do I have wildly varying results - like I actually enjoyed Guilty Gear 2, but disliked Brutal's gameplay so much as it just didnt work (on a pad at least). This does work though, not perfectly (when it comes to placing troops), but everything feels well explained and having Soh being fairly powerful off the bat makes things easier to deal with when in the action segments, as my troops do a great job, and I can finish off stragglers/stronger enemies.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Really glad you can just roll back saves to get the bonus objectives.

Currently going for the "don't let any lantern be extinguished" and some of those dudes just beeline them lol. Would be mad annoying if you had to redo an entire stage for that.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017

Currently going for the "don't let any lantern be extinguished" and some of those dudes just beeline them lol. Would be mad annoying if you had to redo an entire stage for that.

lol I hit 'restart' after screwing up a bonus objective on the second stage of a map, then only after that realized that 'load' keeps a bunch of autosaves to roll back to. The bonus objectives are much more forgiving than they look thanks to this, at least.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I have not had any issue with difficulty. But I I've been making sure to

- Upgrade All Villages before I move forward
- Complete all bonus objectives (you can skip the boss par times until you unlock upgrades for Soh)
- Always go into a level with max orbs (you can just replay the first boss with no units and kill him in 30 secs and keep the ones from the boss. This works for any boss where you don't spend everything also is a quick way to upgrade villages)

Recommended Troops to Upgrade
- Max Woodcutter
- Max Archer
- Level 3 Rifle
- Level 3 Sumo
- Level 3 Healer
- Level 3 Cannon
- Level 3 Spear
- Level 3 Thief (just to unlock boxes for upgrades)

You can max out people as you see fit but most units typically should be at least Level 3 to be better utilized
Recommended Soh Upgrades
- Max Charms
- Max Specials
- Arrow
- Do execution with Y/Triangle on dazed enemy

You don't really need to mess with Soh. His basic toolkit can take you through the whole game. So being able to have more specials and charms is the biggest boon.

Unsure of the names for specials, but those that let you attack and daze enemies are ridiculously powered when combined with the execution attack upgrade.

Also there's a talisman that powers up Soh based on how many orbs he has which is very good as well.

For bosses, the talisman that lets your first attack at night he power is very good as well.

Also on any level where you play as ghost Sou, the talismans that make units cheaper are very useful

For boss Par Times, try to go in with Max Orbs, Talisman that strengthens you based on orbs you hold, and anything that buffs villagers attack.

You'd be surprise how often you can destroy bosses quickly with just a complete unit of Axes (who are fully upgraded) after you pop off a special that stuns the enemy and you do your execution move on them.

Then just wait and use your next special to stun them again. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had any trouble yet but whenever I get a new unit, I make sure to bring one on the next stage. They usually end up key to doing it, even if I wasn't sure why at first. Some examples: matchlock guys being able to take out multiple fliers in one shot, as well as those possessing fuckers before they get close. Or the cannon guys being able to take out the boarding platforms the same way as the fixed cannons on the map do.

Woodcutter dogpile is great for bosses yeah. I'm too lazy to respec just for them usually though.

As for talismans I think the faster bow shots one is actually nuts. It makes it WAY faster, you can mow down flying elites with it, on top of handling the little guys.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Is it realy difficulty spikes or just people not understanding mechanics? Because after the "complaints" about the third boss I gotta take such comments with a grain of salt ;)

Anyway, a few more stages and challenges done today. Im still focusing on upgrading my troops over Soh, I may end up focusing on his skill tree in NG+ at this rate we'll see. This is a bizarrely relaxing game for me, I just love the loop of getting my troops, surviving the night, and then rebuilding the town and powering up more. I feel Capcom nailed the feel of this, as usually its a genre Id just (almost) never touch, and the few times I do I have wildly varying results - like I actually enjoyed Guilty Gear 2, but disliked Brutal's gameplay so much as it just didnt work (on a pad at least). This does work though, not perfectly (when it comes to placing troops), but everything feels well explained and having Soh being fairly powerful off the bat makes things easier to deal with when in the action segments, as my troops do a great job, and I can finish off stragglers/stronger enemies.

Nah, the swamp is definitely a spike. It's really the first time you have to deal with poison and its design is just a real pain to navigate. It's the one level where I looked at the objective list options and just said, 'Nope.'

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the swamp is definitely a spike. It's really the first time you have to deal with poison and its design is just a real pain to navigate. It's the one level where I looked at the objective list options and just said, 'Nope.'
I'll watch out for that then :) I've got the equip to reduce poison damage, plus Ive managed to level up most of my NPCs so far so I reckon I can clear it no problem. Optional objectives... we'll see, Ive managed almost all of them so far, Im trying to do all of them. I reckon with a little patience I should be able to clear them!

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I just started this morning looking for something else to play on GP because I wasn't gelling with Persona 3 Reload and I gotta say it's a really good time so far! A lot of systems to learn but this early game is gentle

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017

You can beat this bonus objective by fighting in complete darkness and not lighting any of the lanterns.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I didn't had a lot of issues with the toxic swamp, but the centipede boss kicked my ass several times

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017

I did a run where I finished the first section and then lit the lantern at the entrance, and one of those bastards moved all the way there to extinguish the flame.

I was surprised they would bother, so I just redid it and lit the lights just before finished.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
I am really hooked now. I think about 6 or 7 levels in.

The third boss, what was the issue with him? I almost died but figured the mechanic and somehow survived, but I will say the extra task to beat him in 3 min or less has been total bs.

Any tips for that? I saw a video saying to start from the lantern then beeline getting them all on, but things never play out like the video. Should I just wait until Archer/Warrior are maxed?

Also is there a big reward for completing everything? I am having fun, but I can see this getting tedious if the side objectives get too wild.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
I am really hooked now. I think about 6 or 7 levels in.

The third boss, what was the issue with him? I almost died but figured the mechanic and somehow survived, but I will say the extra task to beat him in 3 min or less has been total bs.

Any tips for that? I saw a video saying to start from the lantern then beeline getting them all on, but things never play out like the video. Should I just wait until Archer/Warrior are maxed?

Also is there a big reward for completing everything? I am having fun, but I can see this getting tedious if the side objectives get too wild.
Time limits on bosses are easier when you have better/maxed out units. I think with late game units you can kill the third boss in a single "lantern phase".

I never did the side objectives besides the first few levels, not worth it for me. Most of the time you can complete some when taking no dmg or using no heal items. So I basically tried that each level and had enough upgrade materials to complete the game, but I could not max out everything.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, side objectives are to further level up, I think they are fun to do (plus I love making everyone moore powerful) but its not a must from what Ive played so far. Plus there are chests in the levels, a couple will have upgrade materials, so worth returning to levels once you have the thief to unlock those, every little helps if you wanna level everything up.

For the bosses, as said above just wait until later in the game to do the timed runs, as you can power up Soh and the various units. You can unlock the ability to have more than one super move at a time, which is great for the opening of the boss fights to deplete their stagger gauge quick and really pile on the damage. Plus you can unlock the ability to equip multiple talismans, again you can really mix things up with the right ones.

Today I ticked off a few earlier side challenges I were missing... Pretty much up to date now, aside bosses. Almost got all bases so far fully repaired as well. Thanks to whoever suggested to visit the bases after each mission to make sure your fully stocked up on crystals, this made a couple much easier to achieve... plus I like to rock at least one Sumo per stage so that helps me afford him without breaking the bank.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Started NG+ this morning and played until the penultimate stage. Most of the new side objectives have been easy so far, but there were a couple that made me retry the stage (or you know, load a previous autosave), like "no getting hit" in the Burial Grounds, which has plenty of those "spitter" units.

Both boat stages have one objective that prohibits you from assigning roles to the villagers, so it was interesting to play those only with Soh while also having to keep all the boats intact.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Once you unlock the upgrade tree for Soh is it still generally better to upgrade classes? Is it better to upgrade all the classes a little or to upgrade a few of them to the max level?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Once you unlock the upgrade tree for Soh is it still generally better to upgrade classes? Is it better to upgrade all the classes a little or to upgrade a few of them to the max level?
You can respec for free, so no need to overthink anything. I've upgraded the classes I used to max and the rest went into Soh. I'd say get those extra Soh slots asap because they give permanent boosts.

Then get one extra super attack slot. Having three super attacks ready at start later in the gsme also helps with bosses.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Really like the concept and vibes of this one but I don't think the character action feels particularly good in the early game. I don't think there's enough feedback to when you're receiving or giving damage so it feels a bit disengaging. Does it get any better in this regard?