• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They'll be making Halo RPGs for the rest of their lives.

evil-on-me.gif

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
All those saying that they would be deprived of the possibility of playing Obsidian games missed the Project xCloud news, right?

Microsoft is aiming to let you play the games anywhere you want. You won't need an Xbox One or even a decent PC.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn Microsoft going in. Kinda feels like a baseball team buying a bunch of stars in the offseason vs. Sony who built their winning team through their farm system.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
All those rumours I'm lucky to hear from first hands about MS and their acquisitions are looking less and less crazy with each confirmation. MS is not fucking around this time, and they are not done yet either
Its good to see it happen. Spencer did say it would happen but people were skeptical. Cant blame them.
But they are delivering now on alot of fronts Spencer think is important. Xbox finally has the room they needed. And a CEO who believes that also.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
They would ultimately need to get the go ahead from Disney in order to do that. Obsidian does not own the SW license. While I would love a KOTOR 3, I think getting into bed with Disney especially with the SW license would be tricky. Hope it can be done, but won't be holding my breath on that.

Also, surprised at some of the reactions. For one we don't know if this is going to be happening 100%, but if it does, I don't get all the negative posts. I loved KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol and FO:NV, so if they can bring a RPG that is as good as those, can't wait to play it!

I'd say no chance of another KOTOR. Unless it was a full on reboot. The entire era isn't canon so to just come out with a third entry wouldn't make a lot of sense.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is forcing you to buy a playstation

Microsoft will never be my first choice. I don't like the games they make enough to be completely sealed off from getting a new Uncharted, Spider-Man 2 or niche Japanese games.

If I somehow make enough money to afford both, I could get a new XBOX, but they will always be third priority for me.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Could be pretty cool, to be honest. It's exciting to think what Obsidian might put out with the budget of a console flagship title. There's plenty of reasons to be nervous about buyouts (console-specific or otherwise) but I'm kind of onboard with this. Hopefully I don't eat those words three years from now.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon isn't an RPG. ESPECIALLY not compared to the kinds of games Obsidian makes.

It's a standard western open world game. It has nothing that makes it stand out as an RPG. It's pretty much just Far Cry with robots.

That is not a fair answer for people who think Sony is starved for major AAA first party RPGs.

Don't want to derail the thread further, but you have a very weird view of what an RPG is. Standard Western Open World Game, really?

I think he means that just by purchasing those companies they now hold a great lineup.

That doesn't make much sense to me. Not exactly their projects, which they can take the credit for.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
This looks like a win. Can't wait to see what Obsidian will cook up with a (hopefully) bigger budget.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Not really happy about less independent studio's around. I wish Microsoft would develop the talent internally instead of buying it.

Sony did it with Naughty Dog and Guerrilla games.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I guess this permanently kills off any chance of there being a New Vegas 2 =/

That was never going to happen regardless. Todd Howard basically said as much at E3 this year when asked. BGS is growing a lot so they can develop multiple games at once without having to rely on outsourcing.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I am sure they probably could, especially after how messed up Battlefront 2 was. Kotor would be a good get for MS.
I can see Disney/Lucas Arts going the Marvel way and looking for the right partners for individual games/series. But EA aren't getting Star Wars took off them until their contract is done.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, since this seems to be 99% confirmed, which are the other rumored studios that should be bought by microsoft?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
A very good fit.

Hopefully Microsoft have improved their management style over their games studios. They're certainly confident anyway.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Nice get for Microsoft. I wonder if we'll eventually get a response from Sony, which have been quietly building up new studios and expanding existing ones, but haven't done any aquisitions in a long time, which is more of a power move. Either way I'm looking forward to see if this will end up bolstering Obsidian so they can start growing again rather than decreasing in size.

Why? Sony does not need to respond. They need to continue doing what they are doing. They have delivered some amazing AAA titles this year and they have sold like crazy. Just because MS makes a move, does not mean Sony needs to respond.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Asobo also makes a ton of sense as they partner with Microsoft all the time.

It's just that Hazelight feels like the one studio where they'd face an actual wealthy competitor in bidding.

Listen to IGN Unfiltered with Josef.

He says in that interview that he loves Microsoft and was within a bees dick of doing a deal with them prior to EA swooping in.

Haze light wouldn't be thaaaaaat strange given it already almost happened.

Poshi

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Phil Spencer is also in Japan this week flirting with japanese developers. Do you think we´ll see another deal with...?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Should Obsidian agree to this deal, I imagine it's going to be useful for both MS and them. I haven't played Obsidian's games but I know they're well respected studio so it should work out well for them provided MS has learned from their mistake with Lionhead, which I think they have.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Don't want to derail the thread further, but you have a very weird view of what an RPG is. Standard Western Open World Game, really?

That doesn't make much sense to me. Not exactly their projects, which they can take the credit for.
He means that the talented teams will likely continue making great games, and MS just bought themselves a great future lineup with those acquisitions.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy for them, this will give them the stability they've needed for a while. Lots of benefits to be a Microsoft employee too.

Happy for me, more day one Game Pass content!

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
As long as you can power through the windows store, you can pretty much play every future MS release.

Ah that's cool, I hope that continues.

Ideally for me, Microsoft buying these studios is a long term investment that is cheaper to secure exclusive rights from studios they believe have a strong reputation, rather than paying\negotiating on a game-to-game basis. They'll be silent investors that let the studios continue to do what they have done before, knowing that the Xbox/MS Store will have the rights to publish the games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Sony does not need to respond. They need to continue doing what they are doing. They have delivered some amazing AAA titles this year and they have sold like crazy. Just because MS makes a move, does not mean Sony needs to respond.

They do need to respond if both Nintendo and Microsoft are eating their lunch as far as first party RPGs are concerned.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Not really happy about less independent studio's around. I wish Microsoft would develop the talent internally instead of buying it.

Sony did it with Naughty Dog and Guerrilla games.

I'm guessing you're not familiar with Lost Boys or...well, Naughty Dog before 2001? Both companies were acquisitions while Sony worked to ramp-up its first-party studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.