• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason Microsoft is making a these acquisitions is because their portfolio of studios was piss poor compared to Sony to begin with. This notion some people have since E3 that Sony is suddenly in some huge amount of trouble is laughable.

I didn't mention that they are in trouble, just that MS is preparing to hit hard on next gen and Sony dosn't seem to be making efforts to counter it. One of the biggest advantage of Sony was his first party strength, they should keep that as an advantage instead of being mostly iddle on that front.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Microsoft really bugs me. Instead of growing their internal studios gradually they just throw money at third party developers and buy them out. This only means that less people get to play their games as it is now exclusive to one platform. They really add nothing of value to the gaming industry in general.

At least Gamepass and their backwards compatibility is decent, but that is all I can give Microsoft credit for. As a developer / publisher of games they leave me thoroughly unimpressed.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's a good get given that Microsoft stupidly let Bioware slip through their fingers. Given the troubles Obsidian has found itself in on numerous occasions securing a backer the size of Microsoft is preferable to me.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
All those saying that they would be deprived of the possibility of playing Obsidian games missed the Project xCloud news, right?

Microsoft is aiming to let you play the games anywhere you want. You won't need an Xbox One or even a decent PC.
Those 2 things are easier to get than a good enough Internet for game streaming for many.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
And my chicken is a duck. Because I said so. Both got wings, beak, eyes and feathers

Well with typical JRPGs like Final Fantasy becoming more and more action focused, and action games like Assassin's Creed or Horizon implementing RPG systems (leveling, loot, skill trees, stats, dialogue options, etc), who's to say where the line ends?

What really separates The Witcher 3 from Horizon Zero Dawn?

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These were questions of if someone was being serious in saying Obsidian had been irrelevant for almost a decade. I'm not saying someone can't have valid gripes, but Pillars I and II are standout titles. This is more in reply to the other poster than you, but both those games reviewed more highly than New Vegas, which they're basically asserting was the last game worth even a mention.
That the pillars games reviewed more highly than new Vegas shows why using game critics as any sort of methods is ridiculous.

Like, New Vegas is one of the GOATs of the whole genre; neither Pillars game even sneezes at it. Obsidian is not the same company they were ten years ago, we've seen their output since and many things have changed.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I don't think I've ever played a game developed by them, but this is sad news for fans of their games. (at least fans who play on any other platform than Xbox)
Seems like a huge get for MS though.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
So, since this seems to be 99% confirmed, which are the other rumored studios that should be bought by microsoft?
Playful (Super Lucky's Tale and rumored to be working on an old Microsoft IP revival) and Iron Galaxy (Killer Instinct) are the most persistent ones.

Although Hazelight (A Way Out) and Asobo (France studio Microsoft has worked with a lot in the past) have also been rumored.

Jez Corden (Microsoft insider) says he expects three acquisition announcements during X0 on November 10.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Microsoft really bugs me. Instead of growing their internal studios gradually they just throw money at third party developers and buy them out. This only means that less people get to play their games as it is now exclusive to one platform. They really add nothing of value to the gaming industry in general.

At least Gamepass and their backwards compatibility is decent, but that is all I can give Microsoft credit for. As a developer / publisher of games they leave me thoroughly unimpressed.

Uh...Obsidian probably wasn't making another game without this acquisition.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Obsidian is excellent glad they'll finally get the support and hopefully also the freedom they deserve. My one personal hope for their next game is 3d first person though, I personally just enjoy them much more than the top down crpg views usually paired with turn based combat but no matter what I'm in. Bethesda should have picked them up years ago.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is a terrific get for Microsoft, but if it means that future Obsidian games will be on UWP only, this seems like really bad news for PC gamers.

Let's see how it plays out.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Microsoft is literally the only one from the big three making their games not exclusive to one platform

What are you even talking about

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some things never change.

War and irrational hatred for Micro$oft

Remember the NT acquisition thread?

Dominic Matthews: "Hellblade was created with a small team of just 20 people and extremely limited resources, imagine what we can now achieve with our whole team of over 100 people, backed by Microsoft, focused purely on Ninja Theory's vision."

Some guy with a beyblade avatar: "lol they dead rip the blood is on your hands M$"

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well with typical JRPGs like Final Fantasy becoming more and more action focused, and action games like Assassin's Creed or Horizon implementing RPG systems (leveling, loot, skill trees, stats, dialogue options, etc), who's to say where the line ends?

What really separates The Witcher 3 from Horizon Zero Dawn?
I mean where do we draw the line? What really separates Tomb Raider from those?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
They do need to respond if both Nintendo and Microsoft are eating their lunch as far as first party RPGs are concerned.

Hey Sony, we know that your First-Party single-player games are selling millions right now, but how come you aren't also making some RPGs as well for no reason other than Nintendo just released some to a fraction of your First-Party sales?

Humam

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that they get the proper budget for a AAA third/first person RPG, that would so cool.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
That the pillars games reviewed more highly than new Vegas shows why using game critics as any sort of methods is ridiculous.

Like, New Vegas is one of the GOATs of the whole genre; neither Pillars game even sneezes at it. Obsidian is not the same company they were ten years ago, we've seen their output since and many things have changed.

Agree to disagree on some of this more generally, but "I don't like it, therefore the broader consensus around me is meaningless" isn't really going to get anyone anywhere in a conversation like this. You seem to be implicitly agreeing with the earlier poster that the studio hasn't achieved anything noteworthy since New Vegas, and frankly, I think that's a petulant opinion that can sit in the corner.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i think its always better for hardware guys to create new studios than buy existing ones, but if this also means giving obsidian the budget to do something other than crpgs, id be ok with it

Oct 25, 2017
Rfr5slE.jpg

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Remember When MS leaving the industry was inevitable? Those were funny times.

Good for MS and Obsidian. I wish they still had Avellone but hopefully with the financial stability MS brings, they can get him back.

Hopefully they revive Stormlands.

Jan 2, 2018
All that's left is execution...

Which is basically the most important.
I mean..the execution on both BC and GamePass has been great so far. Time will tell if the same can be said for their 1st party,but everything I see: 343i getting extra time to overhaul Halo,The Coalition already released quality Gear game,Playground is on fire with Horzion and T10 is seemingly getting an extra year for the next Forza FM,The Initiative recruiting soem great talent,everything is looking pretty great. My only hope is that they will let Rare work on other things beside SoT.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Asobo would be amazing. And MS has a relation with them also.
That new game from them looks great also.

FeistyJollyHorse-size_restricted.gif

DirtySaltyJuliabutterfly-size_restricted.gif

DemandingThickBorzoi-size_restricted.gif

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horizon is an RPG by nearly every sense of the definition. It might not have as many complex systems or upgrade paths as some RPG's, but it is still very much that genre and follows the vast majority of RPG centric gameplay loops and systems. Quests, upgrades, different armor, skill trees, open map and different locations, a diversity of approach options, narrative and dialogue option elements and all the rest.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

Officially the game is referred to as an action role-playing video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.