• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep that's Reddit :^)

Oh I rioter responded in there:
RiotSmileyjoe

3m
Hey everyone, Riot Smileyjoe here. I work in Riot comms and have been working with this journalist for the last few weeks to get Riot's view into the piece.

We appreciate that the reporter took the time to reach out to us, but since Kotaku didn't include the full statement, I wanted to make sure this community saw the full response we sent.

Riot Culture

We strive to cultivate a unique culture that positions us to best deliver amazing player experiences: one where we obsessively focus on players; one where every Rioter has equal opportunity to be heard, grow their role, advance in the organization, and fulfill their potential; and one where open feedback helps us all get better.

The key word there is "strive"--our cultural values are aspirational and we're realistic about the fact that the values and behaviors in our manifesto aren't always perfectly reflected in the reality of the experiences of Rioters across Riot. Talking over women in meetings, promoting/hiring anyone less deserving than anyone else, and crossing the line from assertive to aggressive are three examples of actions that are explicitly opposite to our culture. To say that these actions are emblematic of our culture and not an affront to it would be wrong.

To ensure our aspirational culture becomes a reality and isn't lost in translation, we over-index on cultural reinforcement. We bake our values into company strategy, leadership attributes, and company-wide programs, systems, and processes. When we encounter any contrary behaviors, we dig in to understand, evaluate, and address. We have a zero tolerance policy on discrimination, harassment, retaliation, bullying, and general toxicity.

Hiring Gamers

One of the most important qualities of every Rioter is an unrelenting drive for delivering the best possible experience to players.

We've found that the best way to hire Rioters is to hire gamers. While not every Rioter is a gamer, most are. And to be clear, this doesn't mean just League of Legends; whatever you play, if you make time to play, you're a gamer. Whether it's Mario or Dark Souls, MTG or D&D, Overwatch or LoL, a Rioter speaks the language of players and can relate to them in ways that could never be learned on the job. We pride ourselves on player empathy, whether that's relating to the fun players are having with a new game mode or understanding the pain they're feeling with a nerf gone too far.

Our D&I Program

We agree with you that there is work to be done to improve Rioter diversity and Riot inclusion. In fact, we know we'll never be done working on that—any company that says otherwise is lying or isn't trying hard enough. This is a long journey and we've made a lot of progress, but still have work to do. Diverse teams and an inclusive environment are the only way we can deliver meaningful and resonant experiences to players around the world, so we need to make sure all potential Rioters have an equal shot at joining our team.

As we've grown, we've continued putting more resources behind these efforts, and in the last few years we've accelerated and formalized our D&I program. In mid-2014, under the leadership of founders Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill, we revamped our Talent (AKA HR) function with a renewed focus on D&I. In 2015, we hired our dedicated D&I Manager. And last year, we dialed-up our existing D&I efforts with the formation of a cross-disciplinary D&I task force.

We're excited for our future as we strive to improve in these and other areas. We'll only get better if we constantly question the status quo and ask ourselves how we can be better. But we can never sacrifice culture as we continue to evolve.

Hydrophobic

Oct 25, 2017
They should but I feel like if you ignore the garbage on your front lawn then you really have no grounds to tell anyone else to clean up their garbage or act like your shit doesn't stink, as Riot has sometimes done in the past.
Riot has workplace culture problems, so they shouldn't be telling people to not use racial slurs or intentionally ruin the game experience for other people?

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I guarantee the tenor of the culture comes from the top and trickles down accordingly, as with most tech/game companies. And you're right, it can't be fixed because that leadership that high is not simply going to leave the company.

You nailed it. But even when some of the leaders are replaced, the culture is too ingrained to change. Look at Uber.

Nov 1, 2017
Riot has workplace culture problems, so they shouldn't be telling people to not use racial slurs or intentionally ruin the game experience for other people?
No I think that if your company itself can barely behave then there's no hope for the community around your company's products, no matter how much money you spend on it.

And in case you haven't heard, League community is still terrible. Not as bad as it used to be but that's not really saying much. It's like saying an overflowing dumpster doesn't smell that bad in 90 degree heat compared to 120 degree heat.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Riotsmileyjoe said:
Hey everyone, Riot Smileyjoe here. I work in Riot comms and have been working with this journalist for the last few weeks to get Riot's view into the piece.

We appreciate that the reporter took the time to reach out to us, but since Kotaku didn't include the full statement, I wanted to make sure this community saw the full response we sent.

Riot Culture

We strive to cultivate a unique culture that positions us to best deliver amazing player experiences: one where we obsessively focus on players; one where every Rioter has equal opportunity to be heard, grow their role, advance in the organization, and fulfill their potential; and one where open feedback helps us all get better.

The key word there is "strive"--our cultural values are aspirational and we're realistic about the fact that the values and behaviors in our manifesto aren't always perfectly reflected in the reality of the experiences of Rioters across Riot. Talking over women in meetings, promoting/hiring anyone less deserving than anyone else, and crossing the line from assertive to aggressive are three examples of actions that are explicitly opposite to our culture. To say that these actions are emblematic of our culture and not an affront to it would be wrong.

To ensure our aspirational culture becomes a reality and isn't lost in translation, we over-index on cultural reinforcement. We bake our values into company strategy, leadership attributes, and company-wide programs, systems, and processes. When we encounter any contrary behaviors, we dig in to understand, evaluate, and address. We have a zero tolerance policy on discrimination, harassment, retaliation, bullying, and general toxicity.

Hiring Gamers

One of the most important qualities of every Rioter is an unrelenting drive for delivering the best possible experience to players.

We've found that the best way to hire Rioters is to hire gamers. While not every Rioter is a gamer, most are. And to be clear, this doesn't mean just League of Legends; whatever you play, if you make time to play, you're a gamer. Whether it's Mario or Dark Souls, MTG or D&D, Overwatch or LoL, a Rioter speaks the language of players and can relate to them in ways that could never be learned on the job. We pride ourselves on player empathy, whether that's relating to the fun players are having with a new game mode or understanding the pain they're feeling with a nerf gone too far.

Our D&I Program

We agree with you that there is work to be done to improve Rioter diversity and Riot inclusion. In fact, we know we'll never be done working on that—any company that says otherwise is lying or isn't trying hard enough. This is a long journey and we've made a lot of progress, but still have work to do. Diverse teams and an inclusive environment are the only way we can deliver meaningful and resonant experiences to players around the world, so we need to make sure all potential Rioters have an equal shot at joining our team.

As we've grown, we've continued putting more resources behind these efforts, and in the last few years we've accelerated and formalized our D&I program. In mid-2014, under the leadership of founders Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill, we revamped our Talent (AKA HR) function with a renewed focus on D&I. In 2015, we hired our dedicated D&I Manager. And last year, we dialed-up our existing D&I efforts with the formation of a cross-disciplinary D&I task force.

We're excited for our future as we strive to improve in these and other areas. We'll only get better if we constantly question the status quo and ask ourselves how we can be better. But we can never sacrifice culture as we continue to evolve.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueofle..._the_culture_of_sexism_at_riot_games/e3s6ozr/

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
great article. Well done, Cecilia - this is the only way to expose these kinds of environments: hard work and lots of invested time.

Btw, is Cecilia Cecianasta ? If so, hope you're reading the (thus far) very positive response.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
One woman saw an e-mail thread about what it would be like to "penetrate her," in which a colleague added that she'd be a good target to sleep with and not call again. Another said a colleague once informed her, apparently as a compliment, that she was on a list getting passed around by senior leaders detailing who they'd sleep with.

Just horrible.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Really well done piece.

For me it's one of those things that I know happens in abstract, but to see story after story is just... fucking crushing.

Nov 1, 2017
Riot is just another half-woke, moral theatrics tech bro company who is merely superficial in its commitment to the values it puts in its lofty mission statements in a sea of thousands. It would be more pathetic if it wasn't so much of a common problem in tech companies right now.

If this article doesn't make this abundantly clear I'm not sure what anyone else can say.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes... Some of these quotes are truly awful.
I don't even know what to say.. This is just a bummer all around
Great article though.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oh, for sure it's not the worst thing described in the article. It just hit home for me a bit closer, because I've witnessed that kind of thing happen.
I know what you mean. I've studied educational sciences with emphasis on elementary school (LOTS of girls there) and it happened multiple times that I presented on whatever topic in a group and got the best grade even though we worked out the content all together. One time I was even thinking of demanding a worse grade (by the way: female lecturers who gave the grades 2 times out of 3), the difference was that absurd.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna say that I really don't think people should be posting shitty comments/tweets by toxic people trying to get attention.

Oct 25, 2017
This "we want to do good but we're not perfect :((" statement rings a little hollow when you read the full article.

For example, this part:

One former male employee said that Riot's "bro culture" is more pronounced behind closed doors, and hurts men too: One of Riot's male senior leaders regularly grabbed his genitals, the source said, adding, "If he walked into a meeting with no women he'd just fart on someone's face."

So what, if they get better at welcoming diversity, they'll start grabbing women's genitals and farting on their faces as well? What an improvement.

Hydrophobic

Oct 25, 2017
No I think that if your company itself can barely behave then there's no hope for the community around your company's products, no matter how much money you spend on it.

And in case you haven't heard, League community is still terrible. Not as bad as it used to be but that's not really saying much. It's like saying an overflowing dumpster doesn't smell that bad in 90 degree heat compared to 120 degree heat.
As someone who has played a lot of competitive games, including league of legends (which I quit months ago, just to head off any arguments about me being upset Riot is being insulted), community is not an issue unique to League of Legends. People are terrible in just about any game where you can be competitive. Companies can, should, and often are trying to improve these attitude issues in their community. I don't buy your argument because Riot has continually tried to do things to improve the behavior of the community. It doesn't absolve them from having a toxic work environment, but I feel like your arguments are confirmation bias. The community is shit, so the company must be shit and that's why the community is shit.

I think competitive communities have a problem with toxicity, and tech companies have problems with sexism and racism. I don't think the toxic work place culture is causing the shitty community because Riot has done more than many multiplayer-focused companies I've seen to try proactively countering toxic communities.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal, but my interview with Riot way back in 2010 (it was for a community manager and media creation position, didn't get the job) asked comparatively little about my gaming background, though I think my history of main tanking for a progression guild came up. Perhaps that gaming background was just assumed and not dwelled on. This article makes the context a little bit sadder.

My current job with a payroll company had an initial interview that asked way more questions about the games I play - all the hiring managers there were big into Overwatch and liked that I could get diamond rank.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Not surprised given many of the female character designs in LoL

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
In 2016, Riot surveyed its own employees to study the correlation between in-game and workplace toxicity. It turns out that Rioters who received complaints about their in-game behavior were also awful to work with. According to that study, 25 percent of employees "let go" between 2015 and 2016 had "unusually high in-game toxicity.

giphy.gif

The theme I think with this article is "no surprise here." Not in a hand-waving way, but in the fact that this is unfortunately the nature with certain, if not most professions that are male-dominated.

It's also discouraging that there's very obvious "pseduo-criteria" that it seems like Riot Games employs to try and be able to excuse why potential employees could be fired or not. As the article points out, it's understandable that the company wants to target hiring people who are gamers, but the idea of going for a specific "culture" in the workplace such as the one described is troubling to say the least. It's the mentality engrained in employees that they shouldn't be "that guy" or "that girl" who throws a wet blanket over what is otherwise viewed as a "good time." That's certainly something that's apparent via the allusions to pictures of genitalia being distributed via DLs and conversations on "fuckable" employees. The fact that individuals fear for their careers if they speak out about this without the protection of anonymity furthers the idea that they are afraid of being blacklisted specifically for that reason.

The article itself certainly ends on the sour note that it's tough to see Riot changing any time soon. The comparison to building something on bad technology leading towards a lot time and energy being devoted to fix problems that started from the beginning makes the case that it's possible that Riot may be too far gone or that any real change in culture would take a not insignificant amount of time to help correct. Though you can't really expect them not to stick up for their values and practices as a company, the responses received from Riot's PR department certainly don't lead to any admission of a potentially toxic culture and tends to rely on denial as opposed to addressing any real accusations. Further, Marc Merril's more direct responses of questioning the integrity or generally placing the onus on people who've felt disrespected or undervalued at the company for their own shortcomings with the company seems very much tone-deaf to the whole issue at hand, which is supposedly running the type of company that publicly claims itself to be, or at least suggests it is by being inclusive while fostering different perspectives and ideas.

Really it's just a shame that even in companies run by a relatively younger generation, there's still those who fall into the same traps as generations before, namely undervaluing the ideas of women in the workplace, demanding everyone be an alpha-male in order to succeed professionally, and carry on in a frat-like atmosphere with employees which does nothing more than to lead to the same childish clique-culture that should have no place in a professional work environment.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
That's shitty. And you know, this story gets it right, the question of whether or not you play WoW probably wouldn't have come up at all if you were a man.
The tech industry is the final, ultimate realization of toxic masculinity, except it's worse, because it's insidious.
YEEEUUUPP. The video game industry in particular likes to hide behind the word "Meritocracy" when it's anything but. It's damn near impossible to get hired anywhere unless you know someone.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Im not saying it wont happen otherwise, but imo attempting to hire mainly "core gamers" is a great way to ensure that your company culture is completely fucked. The vetting system needs to be much more exhaustive. It fucking sucks that a manager wont get fired and replaced when there is evidence that they were more receptive to the same idea from a man.

Nov 2, 2017
Why the hell Seth Killian would have anything to do with this ? You really need to stop namedropping people just because they're working at Riot

Who the hell are you? I don't need to "stop" doing anything, like this is some pattern of behavior that I'm notorious for. I'm showing concern for someone I personally care about that works at the company.

"Namedropping"?

Get over yourself.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
A good friend of mine works in a leadership position at the Mexico branch of Riot Games. Having worked under his leadership before i can tell you for sure that he is not allowing this kind of shit under his management, but again, this is on this side of the water.

Nov 1, 2017
As someone who has played a lot of competitive games, including league of legends (which I quit months ago, just to head off any arguments about me being upset Riot is being insulted), community is not an issue unique to League of Legends. People are terrible in just about any game where you can be competitive. Companies can, should, and often are trying to improve these attitude issues in their community. I don't buy your argument because Riot has continually tried to do things to improve the behavior of the community. It doesn't absolve them from having a toxic work environment, but I feel like your arguments are confirmation bias. The community is shit, so the company must be shit and that's why the community is shit.

I think competitive communities have a problem with toxicity, and tech companies have problems with sexism and racism. I don't think the toxic work place culture is causing the shitty community because Riot has done more than many multiplayer-focused companies I've seen to try proactively countering toxic communities.
I still play LoL. I don't know why since Competitive League is probably still the worst game for player tantrums and vengeful throwing outside of Overwatch. At least Overwatch games end faster.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
YEEEUUUPP. The video game industry in particular likes to hide behind the word "Meritocracy" when it's anything but. It's damn near impossible to get hired anywhere unless you know someone.

That's not true at all. I know for a fact that it's not the case. I've worked in first party, third party, and indie,and have hired lots of people, and knowing someone has never been a prerequisite, or anything close, for finding a job. If you or someone you know can't get hired in the industry, maybe it's not the industry that needs to change.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Hooooooooly shit this is some absolutely fantastic journalism. Fantastic job, Cecelia.

I'm so sorry that women at Riot have to go through this kind of garbage. This will never be okay anywhere.

Hydrophobic

Oct 25, 2017
I still play LoL. I don't know why since Competitive League is probably still the worst game for player tantrums and vengeful throwing outside of Overwatch. At least Overwatch games end faster.
I do buy the idea that the amount of vitriol in a game is proportional to how long the games last on average. If you know you might be stuck with awful teammates for 30 more minutes of a league game it's more frustrating than thinking 'just ten more minutes with these idiots and I can be in a new overwatch match'.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Thank god Kotaku is an outlet that does not shy away from politics. This is an eye opening piece. I wish more outlets had the resources to do long form research and journalism like this.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Really fantastic article. The wishy washy PR responses throughout were infuriating to read. I hope what they say is sincere and they really work on improving their company culture. And yeah, these attitudes are endemic in tech and games, so hopefully more articles like this will motivate the industry as a whole to improve as well.