• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Animal crossing, metroid.

Nintendo has learned this lesson well.

I refuse to believe people on the inside didn't warn them. It was just so obvious.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Catch-22. Announce game way too early with nothing remotely substantial to show for it and then wait years for it to actually see the light of day again, or announce nothing and let the big announcement be a game few of their hardcore players were asking for.

Reminds me of when Bethesda just announced Elder Scrolls VI... and just blatantly said "we're announcing this just to shut you all up. Geez! It's WAY off..."

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 4 sounds like a mess behind the scenes

Like they don't know what they want to do with it

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
lol so had Blizzard shown a 10-second teaser of a title card a la Elder Scrolls 6 then fans would have been happy?
I mean, when fans aren't happy with what you're making, making something your fans want seems like a pretty obvious way to make them happy.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Sounds like damage control

They made it clear D4 wasn't gonna be shown weeks ago. Not too last minute

Also if this is true, it confirms the game is way off, several years at least if it's been changed so drastically they can't show anything from it

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Various forms... different directors... doesn't sound good to be honest.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They should have saved face and just cancelled all Diablo showings at Blizzcon and ended with Warcraft 3 remake. Why rush the mobile announcement to make up the difference?

Deleted member 27686

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Everybody knows it is in Development. What would a tease change on the reaction side for Immortal?

Once again the "community" showed that gamers are just hard to please and act really embarrasing tbh

It would show that Blizzard is committed to finish and release the game, otherwise all that have happened the past couple of days, plus this article shows that Blizzard is not sure what to do with the direction of the game.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. ESVI isn't coming for years. And not like 2-3 years, like 5 or 6 years. There's going to be backlash eventually sort of like what the FFVII remake is going through right now.

Plus reading the article it seems like Blizzard isn't entirely confident in Diablo IV yet and who knows how long we'll see that too.
sure there'd be eventual backlash, but it's better than being booed and shamed on stage by your fans

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Totally shocked and surprised that Diablo 4 is in development hell. /s

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't really a "leak." The idea that Blizzard has been working on a Diablo 3 followup isn't really a secret, just going by publicly available job postings.

It most certainly is a leak. The rumored project could be a host of things. The Immortal dev alluded to new content for D3 in the Q and A and we have d2 remaster also. Two unnamed sources confirming D4 is a leak.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Gamers complaining that Blizzard didn't make an empty announcement with nothing to show. Kinda sad lol.

Announce your games when they're ready to be announced.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
That's all they really had to do. They knew that while some people would like Fallout 76, there would be a good amount of people turned off by it and concerned by what the company is doing, and this put that to rest a bit.
Well they also revealed a mobile Elder Scrolls game. So they were smart to not leave it at that.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the takeaway is that the development of Diablo 4 is such a shitshow right now that they don't even want to commit to showing the name/logo?
Yes. Suddenly opening up a lot of positions at the same time you're seeing turnover in staff and delays in related franchise projects strongly suggests there's something just happened internally that's causing a lot of issues.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
jschreier Out of curiousity, are there ever times when you feel like you might be getting fed a story from a publisher rather than getting a legitmate leak. In my head I can imagine there being situations like this one where a company might want to try to calm backlash/negative press without saying anything officially, but I'm not sure how common that is in your line of work.

All they'd really need to do this time is show a logo and leave it at that.

Look at how much goodwill Nintendo randomly got for announcing Metroid Prime 4, without actually showing anything? Then they were free to show off Samus Returns without significant backlash.

They did the same thing with Pokemon as well. I think Nintendo got a really hard lesson with Federation Force. You really have to be careful dicking around with the core audience, especially when it's an audience that has gone a while without getting some love.

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds more like damage control to me. Even Nintendo had the foresight to double down make sure to drill into people the LG WAS NOT THE NEXT GEN POKEMON PROMISED.
So if this is true, whoever decided to pull it out needs to evaluate their priorities
Yea, this is coming across like that. Bad pr last week and now all of a sudden 2 people say it was in the original plans? Nah, I'm calling bs.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes? See Metroid Prime 4 announcement.
I'm not denying it can work, but hardcore fans start to get pissed off when there's things announced and not shown for a long time. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

On top of that they probably know that when they announce things at Blizzcon they get a lot of questions there. There are panels and shit. Clamming up with "We can't tell you anything whatsoever" would have been met with anger, too.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
So Diablo 4 has such big issues behind the scenes, that Blizzard isn't even confident to acknowledge the existence of D4?

For all saying that Diablo 4 is coming 100%, this is the counterpoint. Blizzard pulled an announcement of a game that wasn't even ready to be shown. What goes on behind the scenes, that they now even don't want to talk about its existence.

Or, you know, this is just a PR Stunt and they never intended to show D4.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like damage control

They made it clear D4 wasn't gonna be shown weeks ago. Not too last minute

Also if this is true, it confirms the game is way off, several years at least if it's been changed so drastically they can't show anything from it
They hyped it up months ago, then went into damage control weeks ago. It's not hard to guess what happened in between.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of validates the people that were expecting a bigger announcement than just a mobile game. Blizzard did prime them for that after all.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Eh - if they'd announced Diablo 4 was in the works with a title card or a very short cinematic, a lot of those YouTube channels currently making hay (and money) off outrage over a mobile game would instead be doing the same about a mobile game AND how Diablo 4 is a danger to gaming, not going to be good, was MURDERED, etc...

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I even believe Diablo 4 is in development.

At least not before Blizzcon anyway.

This might be a damage control attempt.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
So now people want vague title card announcements years and years before there's literally a single thing to show them?

Ok...

Some people really need that verification that it's being made and you're seeing that a lot right now with the reactions. Plenty of people I spoke to at Blizzcon said they didn't care and they know D4 is coming. For everyone who doesn't need the validation, there's a dozen people who truly believe that Blizzard will never make another PC/Console Diablo and this is the future of the franchise. I'd say that's a pretty outlandish opinion to have, but if Blizzard is being coy and not saying anything, I guess I can see it even if I feel it's a sharp overreaction.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
One of those people told me that the Diabloteam wasn't yet ready to commit to an announcement, as Diablo 4 has changed drastically over the past four years and may continue to change further. (We've heard it's gone through at least two different iterations under different directors.)

First Project Titan, now Diablo 4? What will the final product be, something like Red Dead Redemption 2 with realism over gameplay (exaggeration).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So now people want vague title card announcements years and years before there's literally a single thing to show them?

Ok...
They're ridiculous, but they can placate certain crowds. Nintendo brought that Metroid Prime 4 title card announcement mostly because Metroid fans were still angry over Federation Force and there was no telling how they'd react to Samus Returns on its own.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
jschreier Out of curiousity, are there ever times when you feel like you might be getting fed a story from a publisher rather than getting a legitmate leak. In my head I can imagine there being situations like this one where a company might want to try to calm backlash/negative press without saying anything officially, but I'm not sure how common that is in your line of work.

Well, I can promise you that Blizzard did not want me running this story. I can promise you that this piece didn't make me a lot of Blizzard friends, either: https://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzards-titan-actually-was-1638632121

I can't say much more than that, but I stand by my track record.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand why they didn't do this, most people agree that a teaser similar to what Bethesda just did a few months ago would have been gone over so much better than ending on the mobile game.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would show that Blizzard is committed to finish and release the game, otherwise all that have happened the past couple of days, plus this article shows that Blizzard is not sure what to do with the direction of the game.
Starcraft ghost was announced and ended up canceled. Same for that warcraft stories game. Announcing it doesn't mean it would make it. Although I would never doubt D4s release at some point, it still isn't a rock solid indication.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It was honestly a bad move on Blizzard's part. Even a brief logo drop would have been enough to avoid a shit-storm. But in a way, I can kinda understand why Blizzard would want to wait until they can get a proper reveal ready to go.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
All they had to do was say "To our Passionate Diablo fans you are not forgotten as work has been going on for the past 4 years to make sure we get a sequel worthy to be a successor to Diablo 3, this is taking time and care and we want to make it right" Fans erupt and forget about mobile announcement and talk about a new Diablo overshadows the mobile game and.......yeah iam starting to see why they didnt announce it and its for all the wrong reasons

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
This is not good news for D4. That's the big takeaway from this was that it was worked on for 4 years and it's been rebooted.

Last edited: