• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Well it sounds like YouTube/Google are helping them which is shady as hell because as far as I know you can't remove dislikes or views from your own videos just comments. I'm surprised there isn't more media spotlight on this. If Blizzard are allowed to take away dislikes then people should be allowed to give likes to their videos. If that sounds like shit then it is.

You can and have been able to for a while remove the like/dislike bar. People don't because dislikes still help the video acquire views or something. Something to do with how youtube works.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can and have been able to for a while remove the like/dislike bar. People don't because dislikes still help the video acquire views or something. Something to do with how youtube works.

I know you can remove the dislike bar but how do you go down from 500k dislikes to 160k dislikes? Isn't it you either disable comments or likes/dislikes bar or not at all?

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Blizz, if you are in need of a halfway decent marketing team, I am willing to work for a very low wage - promise shit like this won't happen though!

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I know you can remove the dislike bar but how do you go down from 500k dislikes to 160k dislikes? Isn't it you either disable comments or likes/dislikes bar or not at all?

Wouldn't be surprised if people started making fake accounts to dislike. It has happened before. People reportedly did it for Battlefront II and were proud of it.

Don't know if that's all going on, but yeah.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck is that 'the problem' vs the torrent of toxicity and hate posts that have since followed that event and the mobile game?

A gaming company misjudged the timing of an announcement. Too bad, but not a big deal
In the grand scheme of things. The toxic component of the backlash is a far bigger issue.
The "toxic backlash" is just a PR problem. A problem that the Public Relations and Marketing was suppose to prevent.
You don't get to make the claim that it isn't a big deal, because if that is actually true then we don't need anyone employed in Public Relations or marketing at all then. Why pay employees if their designated task is unimportant?

Companies need to deal with how their customers view their products. They need to figure out which product is best marketed to which customer. If you think that is actually unimportant, then you can definitely argue that there are many redundant employees Blizzard should let go.

Zophop

Apr 12, 2018
Diabo 3's been poorly managed by Blizzard from the outset, be it the huge shift in visual style between 2 and 3 (personally I like the appearance of 3 a lot), the shift to an always online model and the server issues that brought at launch, the exploitative RMAH, the nearly non-existant post Reaper of Souls content despite it being a supposed GaaS product and, for the most part, a complete lack of community engagement. It's hard as a Diablo fan not to feel jealous and ignored when you see the kind of support other Blizzard games receive, especially when you consider that what little new content Diablo content released has always coincided with yet another console port.

It's hard for Diablo fans not to feel disappointed and outraged after the announcement of Immortal, it's a community that's been feeding on scraps for the last 4 years. Is it childish to boo an announcement for a game you're not interested in? Maybe, but it seems like the only way for fans to have their opinion heard in this instance. Boycotting the game isn't going to make a difference, it's going to make absolute bank for Blizzard because of it's true target audience.

Solo Kazama

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
I still would want to know who prepared Diablo conference for Blizzcon 2018. You cant be more disconnected from the audience you about to show something, can you?

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Being a Diablo fan, you would know that this was a side project and that Diablo 4 is coming anyway.

I'm not a Diablo fan and even I knew that. So yeah, pretty childish to boo something because they didn't announced the game when you wanted it and how you wanted it.

Didn't blizzard tease/hype some stuff even before the conference? Making it seem like D4 might be announced?

I've been following this stuff and TBH, if people payed tickets and flew off to somewhere in hopes of having an announcement in what they love then getting something else entirely, backlash is only par for course. maybe not boo's but definitely no positive there.. it's hilarious how blizzard couldn't have seen this coming a mile away.

Hardly anyone interested in a mobile game would come all the way for a conference. You're serving your ''hardcore fans' in a conference not the regular Joe, you should at least know what they want. Just hilarious as hell.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Booing isn't anymore childish than cheering is.

I can't stand the notion that booing mega-corporations when they present a subpar product they want to sell you, all while proclaiming the usual platitudes à la "we're all just in it for the love of gaming", is somehow offensive.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Diabo 3's been poorly managed by Blizzard from the outset, be it the huge shift in visual style between 2 and 3 (personally I like the appearance of 3 a lot), the shift to an always online model and the server issues that brought at launch, the exploitative RMAH, the nearly non-existant post Reaper of Souls content despite it being a supposed GaaS product and, for the most part, a complete lack of community engagement. It's hard as a Diablo fan not to feel jealous and ignored when you see the kind of support other Blizzard games receive, especially when you consider that what little new content Diablo content released has always coincided with yet another console port.

It's hard for Diablo fans not to feel disappointed and outraged after the announcement of Immortal, it's a community that's been feeding on scraps for the last 4 years. Is it childish to boo an announcement for a game you're not interested in? Maybe, but it seems like the only way for fans to have their opinion heard in this instance. Boycotting the game isn't going to make a difference, it's going to make absolute bank for Blizzard because of it's true target audience.
It all boils down to the the fact that Diablo was never a Blizzard product to begin with. The entire team that made the original game was gone. Now it is just a name that the studio can use, no one took ownership or responsibility of the game IP. News that D4 is being re-designed is just more proof that Blizzard doesn't know what the franchise is meant to be.

Blizzard could have just made a better D3 for the sequel. But the difficulties in nailing down D4 made it look like the core of the game is in flux. So much so, that they are not sure it would end up being called Diablo 4 at all.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If they are, they've convinced everyone who works for them to lie for them. This is highly unlikely.
We had this other topic once regarding mobile developers and how they admitted to lying about patch notes just to buy time with displeased consumer feedback, rationalizing "sometimes we don't care and it becomes necessary for us".

Who knows? I just don't find it unlikely to be the case with Blizzard and whatever public controlled message they planned with their "Diablo Mobile" staff. They've got a huge PR apparatus for christs sakes.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I think you need to see it from a Diablo fan perspective: ....

I'm a Diablo fan, a massive one in fact. I didn't pay to go to Blizzcon (someday...I hope), but I did sit through the entire opening ceremony waiting for a Diablo announcement. Although I very much enjoy most of Blizzard's other IPs, this year was the year for Diablo. They announced the mobile game, I was kinda disappointed, and that was that. After I watched some demo gameplay I became interested. I didn't immediately fly into an outrage. Many others didn't.

Most rational fans know the next main game is coming. It's okay to be angry, and not like this announcement. It's okay to want confirmation officially of D4's existence. The line begins to blur when people declare the franchise is dead, that Blizzard killed a generation of fans, they spit on the fanbase, or that we need to create and sign petitions to get the game cancelled. At that point the way the anger and channeled and the message is delivered takes it a few too many steps and it becomes childish, embarrassing, and unhelpful.

I'm mostly sad now that it's currently difficult to go anywhere Diablo or gaming related without seeing a (at times) sea of bile and aggression. The Diablo subreddit is more unreadable than usual. The official forums are (amazingly) even more negative and hyperbolic. I love this franchise, and love to discuss it. Pretty hard to do that right now LOL.

Oh well. This will all blow over eventually. I'm personally really excited for Immortal, and for further announcements. At least Blizzard are giving Diablo some attention between (well spaced) main entries.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't blizzard tease/hype some stuff even before the conference? Making it seem like D4 might be announced?

I've been following this stuff and TBH, if people payed tickets and flew off to somewhere in hopes of having an announcement in what they love then getting something else entirely, backlash is only par for course. maybe not boo's but definitely no positive there.. it's hilarious how blizzard couldn't have seen this coming a mile away.

Hardly anyone interested in a mobile game would come all the way for a conference. You're serving your ''hardcore fans' in a conference not the regular Joe, you should at least know what they want. Just hilarious as hell.

BlizzCon 2018 is almost here and we've seen a lot of rumors flying around about our plans for Diablo at the show. These are very exciting times—we currently have multiple teams working on different Diablo projects and we can't wait to tell you all about them . . . when the time is right.

We know what many of you are hoping for and we can only say that "good things come to those who wait," but evil things often take longer. We appreciate your patience as our teams work tirelessly to create nightmarish experiences worthy of the Lord of Terror.

While we won't be ready to announce all of our projects, we do intend to share some Diablo-related news with you at the show.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/blizzard-heavily-implies-diablo-4-wont-be-at-blizzcon.75473/

Now maybe they said something different that I missed since I didn't really follow Blizzcon much, but based on this, it was pretty clear that Diablo 4 wouldn't be at Blizzcon, which is why the backlash seemed baffling to me.

Nov 9, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/blizzard-heavily-implies-diablo-4-wont-be-at-blizzcon.75473/

Now maybe they said something different that I missed since I didn't really follow Blizzcon much, but based on this, it was pretty clear that Diablo 4 wouldn't be at Blizzcon, which is why the backlash seemed baffling to me.

It's a bit late to be backpedaling a few weeks before the conference after all the tickets have been sold and flights / hotels have been booked.

After the disaster that was the Diablo 3 launch and New Blizzard's philosophies I'm not hyped for D4 at all. I don't see how they can balance what the hardcore fans want versus their chasing of the casual crowd and the micro-transactions / recurring revenue streams they will certainly implement. The troubled development of D3 shows they don't really have a clear vision for the future.

Akai_XIII

Oct 26, 2017
Being a Diablo fan, you would know that this was a side project and that Diablo 4 is coming anyway.

I'm not a Diablo fan and even I knew that. So yeah, pretty childish to boo something because they didn't announced the game when you wanted it and how you wanted it.

I'm a Diablo fan, a massive one in fact. I didn't pay to go to Blizzcon (someday...I hope), but I did sit through the entire opening ceremony waiting for a Diablo announcement. Although I very much enjoy most of Blizzard's other IPs, this year was the year for Diablo. They announced the mobile game, I was kinda disappointed, and that was that. After I watched some demo gameplay I became interested. I didn't immediately fly into an outrage. Many others didn't.

Most rational fans know the next main game is coming. It's okay to be angry, and not like this announcement. It's okay to want confirmation officially of D4's existence. The line begins to blur when people declare the franchise is dead, that Blizzard killed a generation of fans, they spit on the fanbase, or that we need to create and sign petitions to get the game cancelled. At that point the way the anger and channeled and the message is delivered takes it a few too many steps and it becomes childish, embarrassing, and unhelpful.

I'm mostly sad now that it's currently difficult to go anywhere Diablo or gaming related without seeing a (at times) sea of bile and aggression. The Diablo subreddit is more unreadable than usual. The official forums are (amazingly) even more negative and hyperbolic. I love this franchise, and love to discuss it. Pretty hard to do that right now LOL.

Oh well. This will all blow over eventually. I'm personally really excited for Immortal, and for further announcements. At least Blizzard are giving Diablo some attention between (well spaced) main entries.
Oh I'm not overly bothered about the announcement, it's just I can see why others were. They made it clear that there wasn't going to be a Diablo 4 announcement before hand. What they didn't make clear was that there wasn't going to be the long rumoured and requested D2 remake/remaster. It's also a difficult pill to swallow when you're being told "we're passionate about Diablo" when seconds later the announcement is an outsourced game from another studio known for bad monetization models and re-skinned games.

Booing an announcement is no worse than saying "don't you guys have phones?". It's bad on both sides, but it isn't childish.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Yeah the guy doing the diablo presentation definitely didn't look like his was pissing himself/over compensating up there or anything. Defs the plan all along,

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
I Don't get Jason's tweet. He say that there was a video and then says it never existed. What?

He said "the video never happened" as in they never released it to the public. He already edited the article to clarify:

We had originally reported that it was planned for BlizzCon, but it's possible that those plans were simply discussed and never solidified. (Either way, the video never came out.)

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I can't stand the notion that booing mega-corporations when they present a subpar product they want to sell you, all while proclaiming the usual platitudes à la "we're all just in it for the love of gaming", is somehow offensive.
Exactly.

If you want your fanbase to praise and cheer everything you put out, then expect that once you've got them to have an emotional connection to your titles, that when you release something bad, they'll boo and vilify you.

The pendulum swings both ways.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
The crowd only booed when Blizzard said there would be no PC version. I don't know what people to expect from a PC centric crowd. To cheer like journalists and others do at an apple press conference?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel exactly the same way as you, i've been a Diablo fan since the first one back in 1996 and your post is one of the best I have seen on this entire thing. So thanks for posting that.

Oh I'm not overly bothered about the announcement, it's just I can see why others were. They made it clear that there wasn't going to be a Diablo 4 announcement before hand. What they didn't make clear was that there wasn't going to be the long rumoured and requested D2 remake/remaster. It's also a difficult pill to swallow when you're being told "we're passionate about Diablo" when seconds later the announcement is an outsourced game from another studio known for bad monetization models and re-skinned games.

Booing an announcement is no worse than saying "don't you guys have phones?". It's bad on both sides, but it isn't childish.
Booing the announcement is not the part that people think is childish, it's the negativity automatically and the automatic dismissal that the franchise is dead from many parts of the diablo community like the above poster i quoted.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada

I have no issue with people booing the announcement (more specifically they booed the fact its not coming to PC), nor do I think it's childish. The hyperbole, and ridiculousness some people resort to are what I consider childish and unhelpful. Thankfully a lot of that is starting to ease off.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

Yep. I still don't understand the concern and condemnation is coming from given the vod material we have seen. Several commentators singled out the guy in the red shirt as a manbaby or as petulent.

If the argument is some parts of the internet behaved poorly that is pretty much a cop out as it is true for any announcement. You can find someone to prop up.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
So if that leak was truly from a Blizzard employee, then that would mean Blizzard in fact had no plans to announce Diablo 4. Definitely makes things more interesting.

Edit: oh, just saw the OP update. So that tweet definitely goes with what Blizzard has just stated to Kotaku.

The blogpost throwing ice on the D4 hype was a couple days before that so that seems in line what Schreier heard from his sources.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most rational fans know the next main game is coming.

Do they? This sentiment keeps popping up over and over again but I don't see anything particularly "rational" about being convinced a game which we actually know (in that its actually proven) is in development hell and has had two rejected versions already from a studio who has cancelled big projects in the past is coming.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Do they? This sentiment keeps popping up over and over again but I don't see anything particularly "rational" about being convinced a game which we actually know (in that its actually proven) is in development hell and has had two rejected versions already from a studio who has cancelled big projects in the past is coming.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the next main Diablo game is coming. I think most of the uncertainty revolves around when.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada

The first person who replied to you is indeed correct. Blizzard aren't going to leave that much money on the table. I'd say it's far more rational to believe it's coming than to believe Blizzard are going to toss money down the drain and not feed their established PC player base, and new console fan base.

Just a matter of when, and what the game will actually look like.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the next main Diablo game is coming. I think most of the uncertainty revolves around when.

The first person who replied to you is indeed correct. Blizzard aren't going to leave that much money on the table. I'd say it's far more rational to believe it's coming than to believe Blizzard are going to toss money down the drain and not feed their established PC player base, and new console fan base.

Just a matter of when, and what the game will actually look like.

I think its a safe assumption its been worked on. But coming? Just like Half Life 3 is coming? Just like Starcraft Ghost was coming? Or Titan? For a game that we know has development problem and which doesnt easily fit into a GaaS model I dont think anything other than blind hope suggests its coming. Which doesn't seem particularly "rational" to me.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I think its a safe assumption its been worked on. But coming? Just like Half Life 3 is coming? Just like Starcraft Ghost was coming? Or Titan? For a game that we know has development problem and which doesnt easily fit into a GaaS model I dont think anything other than blind hope suggests its coming. Which doesn't seem particularly "rational" to me.

Diablo 3 had a far more troubled development than Diablo 4 seems to be having right now, and Blizzard pushed through to release (awful as it was). It's an established main series Blizzard IP, unlike Titan was. Titan was something they couldn't make work, so they scrapped it and took some of it for Overwatch. Diablo requires no total design from the ground up. The formula is there to be used as direction. Four years of development isn't exactly out of the way for a Blizzard game. (Also Ghost was an outsourced side project project -- and theres no point in comparing Valve and Blizzard. Different companies).

Feel free to doubt though.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
you can make Diablo 4 a GaaS model easily, it just depends on how insidious you want to be with it