• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Looks like I'm gonna just bite the bullet and spend extra to get the Japanese Switch version. Anyone know a good site for buying Switch yen points? Seems like the ones I used to go to are defunct (and no you can't use a non Japanese credit card or US PayPal to buy Switch yen points).

SeaGM are the ones I stick with. They've been helpful since Amazon JP's eShop stuff died.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Why isn't this info on the OT's op? Could you elaborate a bit on what the differences are?
Thanks so much for sharing this info, really appreciate it.
Thank god I couldn't find the game on the NOR store and came here to comb a bit the thread before buying it when I noticed the OP's was super light on info.

Listen guys I'm super thankful whenever a new OT pops up, I could never put the effort and time to do one's justice. So I don't create OTs.
I don't want to be rude but if you can't out the effort to write down basic info like filters/audio/versions available/emulator then you should let someone else handle it.
Rest assured there if there is interest, someone will definitely make a good OT sooner or later.

The OT is a work in progress, so settle your kettle. The game came out yesterday and there was zero info about it from Konami.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this collection is made by Hamster but has less functionality than their standalone releases? Sheesh.

If they patch in tate orientation I might buy it. Although it seems the Japanese version is better? What a PITA. Based (current day) Konami.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The OT is a work in progress, so settle your kettle. The game came out yesterday and there was zero info about it from Konami.

Sorry you get heated about it, but I don't think I was disrespectful in any way.
It's sincerely how I feel and I where I heartily stand on the matter. Doing OTs is not an obligation and should not feel like one.
An earlier post mentioned reaching out to Konami which unfortunately would be a waste of time. What folks should do is politely tweet at Hamster. Back in 2017 after the Switch launch there were serious video and audio issues with the initial ACA Neo Geo titles, fans tweeted at Hamster and they were very friendly and quick to respond and patched the issues. Different situation though as this is Konami but you never know, based on that it seems worth a shot.

Anyways, looking on the Japan eShop the Japanese version of the collection is 3,240 yen which works out to about $29 if you want proper versions of the games but then you miss out on most of the eBook features, ugh.

Flip Grip is amazing for playing games in TATE. The Hori stand is great too if you want a sturdy option to play TATE games in table top mode with adjustable height/angles. And Hamster's other vertical ACA games like Terra Cresta and others all include TATE mode so no excuse not to have it on Twin Bee, again guessing this is something Konami didn't allow them to include.

Regarding TATE, Hamster has their own problems too that they've been avoiding for over a year, you can't play CARAVAN or HIGH SCORE MODE tate'd, the screen will always default to YOKO, whatever rotation you may chilse it will always go back to horizontal/landscape view.

Only the ACA NINTENDO series as fully supported TATE (and also a bunch of other things are better, the Emu UI is has more features and the filters/scanlines are better.
Unfortunately Hamster doesn't (can't because of licensing?) use this latest emu wrapper for anything but the Nintendo arcade games.
And unfortunately Hamster doesn't do patches unless for very specific issues or ratings, the old releases don't get updated with the newer builds of Hamster's emulator code.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry you get heated about it, but I don't think I was disrespectful in any way.
It's sincerely how I feel and I where I heartily stand on the matter. Doing OTs is not an obligation and should not feel like one.

I think it's very disrespectful to come into a thread and bitch first and ask questions later. I already told you there was no info about it, so I made lemonade. I explained why the OP was how it was and put up the info you wanted, but all I get is part 2 of your little rant. I don't feel obligated, I just wanted to make the thread.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
FYI: On Xbox you can buy the western version, change the console version to Japan and download the Japanese version.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
So basically, unless you own an Xbox, you're better off just buying the original Hamster ACA releases of all these games? Got it.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, so XB1 owners can access the JP version any time they want and everyone else gets the shaft, what a mess. Hopefully that Kotaku article brings some attention to this.

Dash Kappei

Good points, I forgot about those issues. Another annoying thing I just remembered about the ACA Neo Geo releases is there is no option to access AES features which should be easy to enable within the roms but for whatever reason Hamster just puts them up as the barebones MVS roms.

SeaGM are the ones I stick with. They've been helpful since Amazon JP's eShop stuff died.

Will check that out, thanks!

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
So basically, unless you own an Xbox, you're better off just buying the original Hamster ACA releases of all these games? Got it.
That's just how the Xbox Store works. If you buy a digital copy of a game you get access to all versions of said game. It works with a lot of games. Even 360 games. If you own FF13 for example you can download the International version (which includes an easy mode) too.

I doesn't work if a game has different publishers in other regions (The Witcher 3...) or if a game is banned or censored in a specific region.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Wow, so XB1 owners can access the JP version any time they want and everyone else gets the shaft, what a mess. Hopefully that Kotaku article brings some attention to this.

Dash Kappei

Good points, I forgot about those issues. Another annoying thing I just remembered about the ACA Neo Geo releases is there is no option to access AES features which should be easy to enable within the roms but for whatever reason Hamster just puts them up as the barebones MVS roms.

Will check that out, thanks!

Yep. I don't have a source handy but afaik HAMSTER said that it is a deliberate choice since that's what they are "celebrating ", the arcade experience. There are probably hidden licensing costs too from SNK or the QA involved would be too pricey, it's obviously not related to simply wanting to release only MVS features becase "arcades"

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. That's a big get for Xbox owners.

I just finished my review of this collection. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly when Cubed3 will post it. The editors are buried in work, and I'm still waiting on three of my reviews to get published. Probably doesn't help that the whole thing turned out to be pretty dang huge (4,000+ words). I try to go a bit more in-depth on arcade games during "Arcade Appreciation April", so between this and the SNK 40th Anniversary set, I've been doing a lot of writing.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully the negative feedback gets Konami to at least patch in TATE. International versions should really be there too but I think that ship sailed with the regional prices.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
A thought just came to mind, has anyone checked the folders to see if there are any roms or anything of the sort on the PC version?

I did, but i didn't find them making me wonder if they are hidden in some way, still, i couldn't help but notice there was a "data_us" folder in the main folder, makes me wonder if there is a "data_jp" folder on the japanese version which is what would allow one to play the japanese versions.

Nov 2, 2017
Wow. That's a big get for Xbox owners.

I just finished my review of this collection. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly when Cubed3 will post it. The editors are buried in work, and I'm still waiting on three of my reviews to get published. Probably doesn't help that the whole thing turned out to be pretty dang huge (4,000+ words). I try to go a bit more in-depth on arcade games during "Arcade Appreciation April", so between this and the SNK 40th Anniversary set, I've been doing a lot of writing.
I hope you worked in a mention of your developer/kidney stone observation into the review. Got a good laugh from me a few posts ago.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

"Hey, I'm too lazy to do OTs myself, but this one sucks and does not live up to my standards."

This is essentially what you wrote. So yeah, kinda disrespectful.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Dash Kappei

Good points, I forgot about those issues. Another annoying thing I just remembered about the ACA Neo Geo releases

Yep. I don't have a source handy but afaik HAMSTER said that it is a deliberate choice since that's what they are "celebrating ", the arcade experience. There are probably hidden licensing costs too from SNK or the QA involved would be too pricey, it's obviously not related to simply wanting to release only MVS features becase "arcades"

I didn't know they'd actually responded to the lack of AES. And yeah, I would hope it's something cost related because as you said that's ridiculously weak reasoning on their part.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Just downloaded the Japanese version after getting an instant digital yen point card from SeaGM (thanks Seafoam Gaming ). I had an odd 300 yen stuck in limbo in my Japanese shop account from a previous purchase which evened out the difference without having to spend more than $30 on points. Still about $11 more than the US version and can't read the eBook but I can live with that for now as having proper versions of the games is most important. Hopefully Konami patches in TATE and more options at some point.

Is there a translation for the options screens for those of us who imported? Got controls re-configured and scanlines by fumbling around but want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Anyways, it's great to finally have Konami shmups on Switch, so I'm toasting the occasion: ^___^

bNtG1pH.jpg

Last edited:

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Somebody should record a video of all the Options screens in the English language version, as well as the eBook, to help out those of us getting the Japanese version instead :P

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
You sir just won the reading comprehension fail of the year.
When the level is so ridiculously low there's no point engaging with you, sorry

When two separate people point out your post as disrespectful, it should give you pause. Thankfully it's only April, so there's still plenty of time for someone else win lack of self awareness of the year.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Somebody should record a video of all the Options screens in the English language version, as well as the eBook, to help out those of us getting the Japanese version instead :P
Isn't that piracy regarding the book?

Still, i have taken out screenshots of all the pages and put them on a folder when i was considering refunding the pack, but i am not sure if it would be alright to upload it, i also think i could probably take better screenshots.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I wish Konami were more thoughtful about their selections. Nobody asked for Haunted Castle, and the Gradius/Salamander games belong in a separate collection.

Hell, just take the Gradius Collection on PSP; add the Salamander & Parodius games; and snatch up some of the SNK 40th Anniversary emulation features and you have a GOAT compilation!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Both this and the Castlevania collections went from instant buy to probably not even purchased through a sale now. Extremely disappointing. Fingers crossed they patch this to at least include the Japanese features.

Hoping the selection of the Contra games in it's collection turn out a lot better too.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Got controls re-configured and scanlines by fumbling around but want to make sure I don't miss anything.

How did you get scanlines? I don't see them listed as a feature in the OP and in a few videos I saw. I thought it was weird they wouldn't be present as all Hamster titles I have purchased have several scanlines options.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I nuked this from my hdd, this shit is not fun when I need to press select every two second to save/load. And I managed to beat all the Mega Man Collections, but those games are frustrating to the point they have not a small sparkle of fun.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
How did you get scanlines? I don't see them listed as a feature in the OP and in a few videos I saw. I thought it was weird they wouldn't be present as all Hamster titles I have purchased have several scanlines options.

the scanline option is oddly enough called "filter" in this collection afair.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
It sucks that the games (which make up an impressive selection) are locked to their respective regions. I'm eager to play these classics again, but I'll wait for a very good discount to do so.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
After playing the crap out of this compilation, I wrote a review detailing the pros and cons of this package. Despire the lack of region switching and vertical mode this compilation got a bunch of things right with the emulation that many other ports did not so it's still super solid, just not as amazing as it could have been. Feel free to add this to the OP if you want. I'll see if there are other reviews out that could be added.

Edit: Game Revolution review, along with a Video Chums one as well for the OP

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I waited to buy this. Almost impulse purchased, but wanted to read some impressions first. Bummer about the US versions and the lack of tate mode and other features that have become pretty standard in retro ports.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017

Made it through three of the eight arcade games. Nemesis is still manageable even with the US difficulty intact.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
WTF where stuff like Sunset Riders, Crime Fighters, Metamorphic Force, Monsters Maulers, Violent Storm. Instead we get the same old usual releases

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
WTF where stuff like Sunset Riders, Crime Fighters, Metamorphic Force, Monsters Maulers, Violent Storm. Instead we get the same old usual releases
I don't see those coming to consoles(Sunset Riders was ported to SNES and Genesis, but the original arcade version never came to a console).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Those are all solid picks though, and not ones tied to licenses either I believe? Metamorphic Force rocks, and Violent Storm is the wacky unofficial Final Fight sequel that is actually better than most Final Fight games after the first one (I go back and forth on 3, its sure as heck better than the rest though)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
So the EU/US Castlevania Collection will get the JPN roms in a free update coming later, do we have any word if something similar will happen for the Arcade Collection?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So the EU/US Castlevania Collection will get the JPN roms in a free update coming later, do we have any word if something similar will happen for the Arcade Collection?
I'm happy to report that all 3 Anniversary Classics Collections will get JP rom select, and the Switch version of this game will even get TATE support!!
+ Arcade Classics: Adding ability to play compatible titles in vertical orientation on Nintendo Switch™ - also known as Tate mode
+ Arcade Classics / Castlevania / Contra: Adding the option to play Japanese ROMs of relevant titles on all platforms
+ Castlevania / Contra: Adding the ability to select between Japanese and English scans of the Bonus Book

Last edited:

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
I'm happy to report that all 3 Arcade Classics Collections will get JP rom select, and the Switch version of this game will even get TATE support!!

Ya know, I assumed very little care would be taken with these collections when they were announced. I'm happy players care enough for there to be a good amount of criticism, and I'm even happier (and quite surprised) that's there's an actual response!

Wow, awesome that they took the time to
update it! If only they would've had this available from release, they could have avoided the negative press and attitudes that came from their intial decision.

Time to buy!

Hold up, when are these patches going to be implemented? Are they up already?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Well shoot. Now I have to edit my review (which was never published in the first place...*sigh*)

Good on Konami though.