• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Man, the TTC (time to Colin) on that latest KF thread was super short. Literally people defending him on the first page.

Glad there's a positive KF thread for a change I guess.

EDIT: also I know we give them a lot of shit about their thumbnails but they nailed this one:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the TTC (time to Colin) on that latest KF thread was super short. Literally people defending him on the first page.

EDIT: also I know we give them a lot of shit about their thumbnails but they nailed this one:

Yeah, I laughed when I saw the thumbnail and the title for that video

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I found myself starting to listen to old Podcast Beyond from late 2010(theres a Libsyn archive). Its pretty funny listening to various predictions and thoughts from then knowing what happens to certain games and the PSP2/NGP/Vita etc.

Also man Greg-Colin-Clements had such an awesome chemistry. Shame Colin especially had to walk down this route, because back then he seemed like a decent guy.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
With GDC postponed, KF probably has to make some scheduling changes. Every GDC, they'd have a week of guests, which some, I'm sure, were already booked to appear. I'm still bummed that Dave Lang wasn't able to come last year (due to him being preempted by coverage of the Google Stadia presentation). He's such a character.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Hopefully this is a sign that they'll be moving away from the type of thumbnails they've been usi--

Nope.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
you wanna make that youtube money? You gotta play that youtube game, sadly.

Except that these thumbnails are having no impact on views. Go on their channels and sort by popularity; the top videos are all from before they started doing the thumbnails.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were turning people off the videos because they look like generic ass youtubers.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except that these thumbnails are having no impact on views. Go on their channels and sort by popularity; the top videos are all from before they started doing the thumbnails.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were turning people off the videos because they look like generic ass youtubers.

i agree, but sadly there is a ton of data out their that says those thumbnails drive up views. Idk if its consistent across every channel, but its consistant enough that most are doing it. Trust me i think they are fucking cringey and cash grabby as shit but i suppose when making content is a career for you, you have to go where the money is. I dont love this guys channel, bud i'd reccommend watching linus tech tips video on it.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
i agree, but sadly there is a ton of data out their that says those thumbnails drive up views. Idk if its consistent across every channel, but its consistant enough that most are doing it. Trust me i think they are fucking cringey and cash grabby as shit but i suppose when making content is a career for you, you have to go where the money is. I dont love this guys channel, bud i'd reccommend watching linus tech tips video on it.

Oh yeah I get why they do them but my worry is that it makes KF look like a certain type of YouTube channel that there's already a million of and that perception is just as likely to turn people off than get new people in to watch. Obviously this is just based on nothing other than my personal opinion, but I think there's value in trying to stand out rather than fit in with all the other boring gaming channels these days.

I feel like they did that better in the early days when they were trying to be more of a mid point between like IGN and youtube.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
you wanna make that youtube money? You gotta play that youtube game, sadly.

I think this is largely nonsense when it comes to their audience.

They have 16k more subs than Easy Allies but the EZA preview video has almost double the amount of views so far (3.5k vs 6.5k).

It's kind of a "who gives a crap" comment but I honestly think it might actively hurt their gaming video views.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Don't those videos with similar thumbnails but much larger views, usually aim at kids anyway?

I very much doubt many kids watch Kinda Funny Games.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is largely nonsense when it comes to their audience.

They have 16k more subs than Easy Allies but the EZA preview video has almost double the amount of views so far (3.5k vs 6.5k).

It's kind of a "who gives a crap" comment but I honestly think it might actively hurt their gaming video views.

maybe they know how lucrative
It can be to have thumbnails
Appealing to children and young teens, that way they can reach more than their audience, even though they are failing.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Don't those videos with similar thumbnails but much larger views, usually aim at kids anyway?

I very much doubt many kids watch Kinda Funny Games.

Thats sort of what I was getting it... the thumbnails make KF look like the sort of place that caters to 11 year olds who love fortnite and kinda cheapens what they actually want to be (I think). And if it doesn't help views and makes them look ridiculous why do it?

It seems like the sort of thing that Tim read once and has pushed through for no real reason.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I await the title changes.

You'll NEVER BELIEVE what's in Final Fantasy 7 Remake!!

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Someone doing a funny face - check
A female video game character - check
A character that people will probably search for a lot, for obvious reasons - check

Sounds like Youtube alright.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's all cool to play the YouTube game and all (even though they refuse to try and have SEO that is even remotely acceptable), but when you're doing that and most of your videos struggle to crack 10k views despite having 200k+ subs, that's just embarrassing.

At what point do the views completely bottom out for Kinda Funny? They're constantly trending downwards with no fix in sight. KFGD episodes struggle to hit 10k now and their reaction videos aren't popping off despite being timely and relevant. The last two episodes of Screencast have 6k views. PSILY seems to be the only show performing well. I question the logic of moving to a massive warehouse space focused on visual content when it seems like such an afterthought for them.

Also, if they could stop having lengthy sections of the KF Podcast be just them watching a video in silence, that would be great.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all cool to play the YouTube game and all (even though they refuse to try and have SEO that is even remotely acceptable), but when you're doing that and most of your videos struggle to crack 10k views despite having 200k+ subs, that's just embarrassing.

At what point do the views completely bottom out for Kinda Funny? They're constantly trending downwards with no fix in sight. KFGD episodes struggle to hit 10k now and their reaction videos aren't popping off despite being timely and relevant. The last two episodes of Screencast have 6k views. PSILY seems to be the only show performing well. I question the logic of moving to a massive warehouse space focused on visual content when it seems like such an afterthought for them.

Also, if they could stop having lengthy sections of the KF Podcast be just them watching a video in silence, that would be great.

Most of their videos struggle to crack 10k views? That's just not remotely true. A cursory glance shows their 10 most recent uploads had 17k, 15k, 13k, 23k, 13k, 16k, 16k, 11k, 34k, 24k.

So I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Most of their videos struggle to crack 10k views? That's just not remotely true. A cursory glance shows their 10 most recent uploads had 17k, 15k, 13k, 23k, 13k, 16k, 16k, 11k, 34k, 24k.

So I have no idea what you're talking about.
How is that not struggling to crack 10k views? They're limping over that 10k threshold most of the time. Hell, there's even a Games Daily episode from last week that didn't crack 10k. I never said they don't get 10k views, only that they struggle to get it most of the time, which is quite obviously true when you scroll through their channels and see how many videos die in the 10k-15k range. Regardless, it's embarrassing for any channel with 200k subscribers to be getting views even remotely in that range. If they actually employed a little bit of SEO strategy they could easily change all of this.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The post you quoted literally explains this. Like, he gave you numbers.
He quoted numbers that show Kinda Funny...struggling to get past 10k. The difference between 10k and 13k is negligible at best. The point is, they pull in a pathetic amount of views, whether that be 10k or slightly higher. Also, if you go look at the regular Kinda Funny channel you'll find at least 5 videos 10k and under from the past few weeks. They have a video with 5,800 views from a week ago. So yeah, if you do want to get pedantic about the numbers then there are plenty of examples of them not getting even 5% of their subs to click on a video.

The actual numbers aren't even the fucking point. The point is there is no reason why a channel that big should pull in so few views. They don't take things like tags, descriptions, and titles seriously, which is why their channel doesn't grow and doesn't pull in views. Kinda Funny has a pretty clear discovery problem and changing thumbnails isn't going to fix it.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What you said wrong wrong and he pointed it out using numbers. That's all.

I don't see how me saying "Kinda Funny's views barely pass 10k these days" and him responding with a bunch of numbers that show their videos barely pass 10k shows that I was wrong but okay. I also pointed out half a dozen videos that didn't get to 10k too.

Again, none of that is my actual point, but y'all just want to argue semantics.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Technically they were wrong since there's views over 10k, but their point still remains true.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
More thumbnail talk.

source.gif

Apr 24, 2019
So I know Ben Hanson from MinnMax is doing at least one ep of KFGD next week, anyone know if they're going to do Gamescast or WHCF with him?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Why was Blessing so adamant Death Stranding was an epic exclusive? It's had a steam store page for months and was announced for Steam too lol

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is simultaneously the funniest and most horrifying thing I've ever seen.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
i08gvn5riqk41.png

Maybe people in their twitter mentions and the comments on youtube etc will stop

(Who am I kidding)

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
i08gvn5riqk41.png

Maybe people in their twitter mentions and the comments on youtube etc will stop

(Who am I kidding)

Saw that the other day and I'm glad Colin said it... it's been 3 years now and both parties are clearly over it. It's just random Twitter fans who still bang on about it.

It's weird how people like that Baggie guy seem to think that KF pretends Colin doesn't exist. I feel like he's mentioned at least once a week when they're talking about an old episode or something; it'd be pretty hard to pretend he wasn't a big part of KF in the early years.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Saw that the other day and I'm glad Colin said it... it's been 3 years now and both parties are clearly over it. It's just random Twitter fans who still bang on about it.

It's weird how people like that Baggie guy seem to think that KF pretends Colin doesn't exist. I feel like he's mentioned at least once a week when they're talking about an old episode or something; it'd be pretty hard to pretend he wasn't a big part of KF in the early years.
Yeah, pretty sure Greg mentioned him twice during PSILY

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA