• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Because Dems aren't the ones making this a racist clown show.

Oct 30, 2017
Cut the fucking mics.

God damn, what's the point in having a head with no power? Someone goes over their allotted time, cut their mic and move on. Fucking farce.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
I'm not watching any of this, but why do I read about Republicans so much? Where are the Dems? Are they present at these hearings?
Yes, Democrats are leading the hearing. They are just asking pretty normal questions, nothing that will make explosive news bites like "Do you think babies are RACIST?????"

Seriously, I've yet to see or hear a dem
They go back to back, with the chairman speaking in between (who is a dem). Senator Durbin, the chairman, has been speaking so often that Sen Cornyn (Republican, Texas) complained he was speaking too much and undermining the Republicans. It's just not going to be reported as much because it's again not explosive.

Oct 30, 2017
Can somebody explain why this is not happening?
I don't know but if it has to do with "decorum" I'm gonna scream. This shit is allowed during these hearings, during debates, anything. What is the point in having time limits if they're not going to be honored? In fact, cutting the mics and allowing cameras to pick up the distant deranged ramblings of some of these bumfucks would do well in highlighting their absurdity.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not watching any of this, but why do I read about Republicans so much? Where are the Dems? Are they present at these hearings?

To me it seems less that they aren't present, but more that republicans have turned to making a spectacle so trump supporters get clips of them asking what they want to hear(so the senators can try to get favor from them and trump).

republicans aren't asking her if she thinks babies are inheritently racist because they think so, they are asking because, unfortunately, some trump
Supporters and other republicans actually would believe that line of thinking.

That's why the GOP Twitter took a picture of her and crossed out her name and wrote CRT.

They need some sort of news/social media rehab

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody explain why this is not happening?
It would just piss them off and make them harder to deal with elsewhere. If they can't waste time during these hearings they'll just waste time somewhere else. It's only a matter of where you want them to waste time, not whether they'll waste time at all.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fucking grace and coolheadedness Brown is displaying is so beyond what should ever be expected of any human being. For fuck's sake.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017

Manu Raju
@mkraju
Durbin bangs down the gavel to get Cruz to stop as he goes over his 20 minutes. Cruz: "You can bang it as loud as you want." Durbin turns to Coons. Cruz keeps pressing to get Jackson to answer his question. Durbin turns to Cruz: "At some point, you have to follow the rules."
3:16 PM · Mar 23, 2022

Oct 27, 2017
This is what happens when even your own mother can't find an ounce of love in her heart for you. You become Cruz. Or Graham. Or Hawley. Or Blackburn.

Little performative insurrectionist assholes.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Until time machines are invented, I don't believe you'll be able to retroactively grow up in a different region of the world.

There are already people littering the comments sections of local news sites with "how can we expect someone that can't define what a woman is to BLAH BLAH BLAH" and comparing it to Clinton's "is" gaff.

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
This is the type of thing I point to whenever family members ask me why I don't vote R. Fucking embarrassing.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bro, how are you gonna allow Ted Fucking Cruz to win in a power struggle? Durbin's cold shoulder and gavel ain't doing shit.

Grow a god damn backbone.
Cruz definitely didn't win this interaction. Cruz looks like a sore loser spouting off a long string of pure nonsense while Durbin is calm and collected while trying to allow Coons to start his turn while the baby has a tantrum off in the corner. Taking harder stances against these losers never works, it just gives their nonsense credibility.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even watch this because the Republicans have cranked everything to 11 on the obnoxious meter. Please tell me she is going to be nominated.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Honestly if I were in Durbin's position during that exchange and Cruz kept asking if Jackson would answer the question, I would have just said "you had ample time to ask her that question if its answer was so particularly important to you, but you waited for the end of your alloted time and we need to move on." Cruz acting like his legitimate shot was pushed down has nothing behind it when he was busy repackaging the old attack helicopter joke instead of asking about her case record.

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
I get why Cruz is doing this but does anyone on the right even like him?
Some of his voters do, Lindsay Graham can speak for the Right leadership:
www.cnn.com

Lindsey Graham jokes about how to get away with murdering Ted Cruz | CNN Politics

South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham thinks his party has gone "bats---" crazy, and joked Thursday that it's possible to get away with murdering Ted Cruz if it happened in the Senate.

"If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you," the former presidential candidate said at the Washington Press Club Foundation's 72nd Congressional Dinner, referencing the Texas senator's unpopular reputation on Capitol Hill.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I have not been able to watch this today like I did yesterday, but is it true that Lindsey Graham tried to pull the "angry Black woman" card on judge jackson?

I've seen it referenced more than a few times now, but I can't find a clip.

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
Don't know much about Ben Sasse, but this bit about cameras affecting peoples presentations and virality of social media does hit home, specifically the amount of "jackassery" we see in congress from the likes of Ted Cruz, even if he wasn't singling out his colleague.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I have not been able to watch this today like I did yesterday, but is it true that Lindsey Graham tried to pull the "angry Black woman" card on judge jackson?

I've seen it referenced more than a few times now, but I can't find a clip.
All I know is that Graham pulled the same shit again. He ranted, Durbin called him out for trying to grill KBJ about the Kavanaugh nomination and then ran off like

HandmadeRegularChinchilla-size_restricted.gif

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017

@atrupar
Ben Sasse moments after Ted Cruz throws a performative tantrum that was tailormade for Hannity: "I think we should recognize that the jackassery we often see around here is partly because of people mugging for short-term camera opportunities."

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Bro, how are you gonna allow Ted Fucking Cruz to win in a power struggle? Durbin's cold shoulder and gavel ain't doing shit.

Grow a god damn backbone.
You think it was lack of backbone that kept him from getting into a shouting match with Ted Cruz on the chamber floor? Cruz would've loved a shouting match. The hotter that engagement got the better it would've looked when the clip made the rounds on the news shows.

Cold shoulder was the right play. It may not satisfy your lizard brain, but Cruz has more rabid fans who love a shitshow than the Dems do. It's the price we pay for appealing to level-headed folks.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
How it started: Sen. Graham complained abouts the circus of the previous nomination hearing for Kavanaugh and assured it wouldn't happen again.
How it went: Sen. Graham joined the circus as a performer who complained about the circus of the previous nomination hearing for Kavanaugh and ensured that it happened again.

Don't know much about Ben Sasse, but this bit about cameras affecting peoples presentations and virality of social media does hit home, specifically the amount of "jackassery" we see in congress from the likes of Ted Cruz, even if he wasn't singling out his colleague.

I was actually taken aback by how thoughtful that particular line from him was and I think he has a point. Cruz/Graham's performances are tailor-made for reactionary conservative media. If the cameras are cut or extremely limited, their opportunities are for grandstanding mercifully limited because we can't see them (or see as much of them as they'd like), even if nothing can be done about their motives.

EDIT: Here comes dat boy Hawley. SMH