• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It took ten whole years for Mitt Romney to go from the most mainstream Republican imaginable - enough that they ran him for President! - to way, way out on the fringes of his party. It really did happen that quickly, and even as someone who watched it in real-time, that's hard to believe.
To be fair at that time a helluva lot of republicans didn't actually want him, they just thought appealing to "mainstream" was the only way to beat Obama.

And Romney's failing was part of the catalyst in just why they rocketed so far to the right afterward. They got collectively angry that even after holding their nose they still didn't win, and so they came to viscously mistrust advice to moderate.

Then Trump won and solidified that mindset that they just don't need to care about anything leftward, even in lip service.

Even though the real story is that Romney could have won if he didn't need to bend over backwards for the fucking loonies in the party. Even with that the guy did fairly well considering Obama had incumbent advantage.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
I will again use the caveat that I'm not speaking as a mod here, but...

Aren't y'all tired of framing everything through the lens of how the goddamn fucking degenerate clown college that is the GOP react to everything?

The first Black Woman.

The first public defender.

Elected to SCOTUS.

Fuck Republicans. They're being exactly who we all knew they would be.

Can't wait to see JUSTICE Ketanji Brown Jackson at WORK.
I sincerely hate that one party, in particular, is always there to rob me of my joy.

Always.

If they could be ignored as simple trolls and grifters, that would be one thing. But the things they say AND the way that they govern has both directly and indirectly made my life (and COUNTLESS others) more difficult as a result of their fully intentional maliciousness, and I will continue to work against them for as long as I have the energy to do so.

With that being said, you're still absolutely correct. We should just use this moment to celebrate Justice Brown Jackson's truly historic achievement. I'm happy for the team and supporters that got her through the HELL she's had to endure for something she is extremely well qualified for. I'm sooo happy about this result (narrow as it was, even though it shouldn't have even been close), and can't wait to see her work!

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
Bidens been a pretty great president, imo, moments like this are why I'm most happy progress won out. Congrats Justice Brown Jackson!!!

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It took ten whole years for Mitt Romney to go from the most mainstream Republican imaginable - enough that they ran him for President! - to way, way out on the fringes of his party. It really did happen that quickly, and even as someone who watched it in real-time, that's hard to believe.

Couldn't be happier for Jackson, and good on Biden for delivering on this particular promise. She'll be a great Justice for decades to come.
Yeah the fact that Mitt Romney is considered "too liberal" by conservatives in his own party is one of the craziest things in US politics.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the fact that Mitt Romney is considered "too liberal" by conservatives in his own party is one of the craziest things in US politics.
I remember a lot of my family thinking he wasn't conservative enough back when he was running for president. I think some of them even ended up voting for Obama instead, which was shocking to me. So I think he was always seen as a more moderate republican. It's just that now the difference between him and a lot of the GOP has increased significantly.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a lot of my family thinking he wasn't conservative enough back when he was running for president. I think some of them even ended up voting for Obama instead, which was shocking to me. So I think he was always seen as a more moderate republican. It's just that now the difference between him and a lot of the GOP has increased significantly.
He was. The base tried everything to get any non-Romney to catch, but could never do it. The party knew there was no fucking way Rick Santorum would beat Obama and Romney was quite literally their only hope. Eventually they got the base to eventually swallow that pill but only barely. Romney had to break out the birther jokes, kiss Trump's ring and bring on Paul Ryan to keep actual republicans from sitting out.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Fox News tears are going to be glorious tonight. Really happy she got her confirmation.

I I don't mean to be a downer, but I don't see why they would be because it doesn't really matter. SCOTUS is still 6-3, 5-4 in a best-case scenario. There's already a case before them that will overturn Roe v Wade, and red states are already chomping at the bit to take down LGBTQ rights with the Don't Say Gay and anti-trans bills. And from there the floodgates are open, the right seems to be ready and willing to use the SCOTUS as their legislative machine.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I I don't mean to be a downer, but I don't see why they would be because it doesn't really matter. SCOTUS is still 6-3, 5-4 in a best-case scenario. There's already a case before them that will overturn Roe v Wade, and red states are already chomping at the bit to take down LGBTQ rights with the Don't Say Gay and anti-trans bills. And from there the floodgates are open, the right seems to be ready and willing to use the SCOTUS as their legislative machine.

I don't think the right is satisfied with that. Like, obviously different but still illustrative situation, were Thomas or Alito to croak tomorrow, the process of getting a Democrat there instead would be hellish... even though we would just be going back to the status quo that had been there for over a decade with a highly conservative 5-4 court. The standard has shifted to a maximalist one.

There is a lot of genuine pain over on that side of things regarding Jackson's confirmation. The anti-LGBTQ hysteria being shepherded through statehouses right now indicates that the right is doing just fine power-wise, yeah, but is also symptomatic of a maximalism that will not allow the right to fully enjoy that power until the rest of us are totally and completely fucked over.

Mitt Romney is not just a RINO for voting for Jackson. He's a pedophile. That's where we're at now.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
You are right that the Dems are not in a good position now, or in the future for SCOTUS. However, if there is a glimmer of hope it's in the long game. The GOP has really focused on the long game of SCOTUS and while it may seem grim now, things can change. And we are far better with someone like her at the table when that change may happen.

If the GOP had your mindset it would have been dead a decade ago like many predicted.