• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
I'm not justifying harassing the actress at ALL but her character was really lame and shit. Her arc lead nowhere and she stopped Finn from saving everyone because "hope". I wanted to throw my popcorn at the screen at that moment. She was a terribly written and developed character. She's up there with Jar-Jar for bad characters but blaming the actress makes no sense. It was bad writing/directing.
So her character was bad in your opinion, so if you found it to be so bad why do you have to be militant in your dislike in a way that you even transfer that to someone that was paid to do a job and did it to the best of her ability? Why even interact or cause yourself agravation by engaging and seeking out things that you dislike? Is this a form of self hate that I don't get? I don't mean you literally though.
I agree with McWeeny's take. It's like "The Force", if you will. There's good and bad fandom, like in all things in life. And while Star Wars fandom definitely needs to face some reckoning, this is the take I agree the most:

Nah. That binary conception is not correlated with reality. There's way more cons than pros to fandom. That's just not healthy. People should put their focus and energy on themselves instead of trying to go down the rabbit hole of fandom. That's just unhealthy and bad for your wallet. But that tweet makes a lot of sense.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that's my take. I wanted to know more so I googled around and I couldn't find some confirmation from Kelly Marie Tran herself and when I look at how news sites report it they use language like this
It's possible that Tran deleted Instagram because she simply didn't want to be on the platform anymore. Tran has repeatedly said that she doesn't like using social media, including Instagram, adding that she doesn't like to be in the public eye, scrutinized and judged. Many of these statements were posted on Tran's Instagram account.
Don't fault me for wanting to know the truth and making sure, hence why I want to know if she said anything anywhere.
OH GEEZ I FUCKING WONDER WHY
How dense can you be...

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to be very clear here.

At no point did I deny she was the victim of a ton of abuse. It's 10am in Japan right now, I just woke up and I want to know what happened while I was sleeping. Once again, I am not demanding anything, I just want someone to tell me if we heard from her about this. If the answer is no, then fine, let's continue but I don't like this insinuation that I am trying to deny she has been the victim of abuse.

I didn't insinuate that you were denying that she had been the victim of abuse. that wasn't in my post.

I was saying that her releasing a definitive statement about why she left is pretty much irrelevant because the abuse still happened. she could have left for any number of reasons and it doesn't magically make the harassment go away. it doesn't paint any of this in a different light.

though, again, let's be honest; she left because of the harassment

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. That binary conception is not correlated with reality. There's way more cons than pros to fandom. That's just not healthy. People should put their focus and energy on themselves instead of trying to go down the rabbit hole of fandom. That's just unhealthy and bad for your wallet.
This forum is built off fandom. All of the communities that stuck together when shit went down at the old site to help build this new place is because of fandom.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Don't put words in his mouth. He didn't say she owed anything, he asked if she had made a statement. No need to be hostile.

I'm asking once again, did she release some statement?

Everyone is saying it's because she received harassment but how do I know that's not a rumour? Despite being the most likely reason given how fans have treated other actors I believe it could be possible that there might be another reason.

The OP just posts someone's hot take.

Yes, that's my take. I wanted to know more so I googled around and I couldn't find some confirmation from Kelly Marie Tran herself and when I look at how news sites report it they use language like this

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/5/17429164/kelly-marie-tran-leaves-instagram

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06...r-instagram-posts-allegedly-due-to-harassment

Don't fault me for wanting to know the truth and making sure, hence why I want to know if she said anything anywhere.

EDIT: And for the record, regardless of why she deleted it, I totally acknowledge that fans have been shitty towards her for reasons I can't fathom. I don't know why everyone gets bent out of shape regarding her final line.

The way I see it, he did more than asking. He implied that this could be just a rumour. Provided with explanation that the director of the film himself had talked about this, he insisted on knowing if Kelly Marie Tran had said anything. The thread established a long ago that Tran was facing abuse on her Instagram for months now. My "hostility" was directly linked to the impression that me and others here had that he was indeed shrugging it off her abuse, and at same time saying he wasn't.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way I see it, he did more than asking. He implied that this could be just a rumour. Provided with explanation that the director of the film himself had talked about this, he insisted on knowing if Kelly Marie Tran had said anything. The thread had establish a long ago that Tran was facing abuse on her Instagram for months now. My "hostility" was directed linked to the impression that me and others here had that he was indeed shrugging it off her abuse, and at same time saying he wasn't.

I actually didn't know this. Like I said, I was sleeping. I recently woke up and asked questions for the latest updates. Part of me just genuinely hopes she deleted her social media accounts for other reasons no matter how unlikely it was because like you, I think it's so terrible how fans have treated her since the movie came out. In fact, if you manage to find my posts in the Star Wars OT you will see I always defend her character in the movie. Trust me, I am not a hater here.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
It's rude to just stroll into a thread and just make blanket statement. The majority of Star Wars fans aren't the problem here so let's not pretend like Star Wars has some extra special unique problem with awful shitty nerd culture.
You're the one struggling to figure out fans =! all fans. Stop trying to move the discussion from the toxic fans and behaviour, it's not about the "majority of fans".

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I actually didn't know this. Like I said, I was sleeping. I recently woke up and asked questions for the latest updates. Part of me just genuinely hopes she deleted her social media accounts for other reasons no matter how unlikely it was. If you manage to find my posts in the Star Wars OT you will see I always defend her character in the movie. Trust me, I am not a hater here.

I'm not saying you are a hater and I didn't mean to be hostile. We deal with disingenuous posts all the time on threads like this, and while I get you wanting this to not be true, it sadly is. I won't track down your posts, I believe you at face value. I apologize if I came out hostile towards you, but maybe you should do a through research before claiming that the OP is a "hot take", when all signs hint it is not.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
This forum is built off fandom. All of the communities that stuck together when shit went down at the old site to help build this new place is because of fandom.
I would like to think that we have superseded fandom, being part of a community would be the reason why ERA exist. But lately I've also been thinking about this place, all the tribes, all the fans, and how they express their fandom. Thus, I'm being more selective in which threads I interact with others. I'm open to being wrong on this. I haven't said that fandom is wholly negative, but as a whole it has a net negative effect on the individual. But we are free to choose those things.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying you are a hater and I didn't mean to be hostile. We deal with disingenuous posts all the time on threads like this, and while I get you wanting this to not be true, it sadly is. I won't track down your posts, I believe you at face value. I apologize if I came out hostile towards you, but maybe you should do a through research before claiming that the OP is a "hot take", when all signs hint it is not.

Yeah, I should have probably used better wording to be honest in the first place. I apologise if I came across as aggressive with the "hot takes" bit, it certainly comes across as a little childish.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
This ain't Star Wars....

This is Nerd Culture, full stop.

This is what happens when you make a White Boys only club that has fostered archtypes and content that pleases them for almost 20 years and slowly start to include everyone else.

This shit doesn't just go away when you stop reading Star Wars articles.

When's the last time y'all put on a headset and listen randoms while gaming?

That's our peers right there. Every single mouthbreather.

Not shit will change if it don't come top down (developers, producers, designers)

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What an Asian woman should look like on the screen for that male gaze is exactly what this is about. Or how categorization tends to confuse gutter trolls while filing new content into their spank banks.

Having lived in Asia for 10+ years amongst some of the douchiest, scummiest white guys (expats) I've ever met in my life I can absolutely confirm the indisputable FACT that is the white male preoccupation with "hot Asian women".

It's fucking repulsive, objectifying behavior at it's most extreme.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
This ain't Star Wars....

This is what happens when you make a White Boys only club that has fostered archtypes and content that pleases them for almost 20 years and slowly start to include everyone else.

When's the last time y'all put on a headset and listen randoms while gaming?

That's our peers right there. Every single mouthbreather.

Not shit will change if it don't come top down (developers, producers, designers)

Agreed. Pinning down to Star Wars or any particular fandom would be a mistake. This is part of a larger issue, that we should be able to call out micro (Star Wars fandom) and macro (nerd culture in general).

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
The worst part about this is knowing how over-the-moon Tran was when she landed this gig, especially after she was nearly about quit the acting dream altogether.

Now it's being shit all over by these fucks anyways.

Shit is frustrating. Everything I've ever read or watched about her on set with cast and crew amounts to them all adoring having her there and in that role. She wants to learn everything that everyone does. She wants to help without being underfoot. She didn't get the allowance that everyone in TFA got of being lousy (and boy, were they lousy). She was actually good with what she had to work with.
A band of complete dookiegargles came and crushed an aspect of her dream job, and now she's going to have to harden up to continue. Worst part outside of the films, now she's detached (and rightfully so) from her own followers that adored that bit of sunshine that she brought. That bit of the personal. Do what you gotta do, sis.

Just want to add that one of us makes it through, and the rest of nerdhood didn't wait for a snap of the fingers to tear her back down. Not even a breath.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Agreed. Pinning down to Star Wars or any particular fandom would be a mistake. This is part of a larger issue, that we should be able to call out micro (Star Wars fandom) and macro (nerd culture in general).

Exactly, and the true blue honest meat of the issue is this..... I'll happily lay it out for the thread.

We have not come to terms nor dealt with the fact that Gamergate has radicalized nerd culture white males into AltRight psychophants. They not only adopted AltRight ideology but clung to it as it gives them a sense of identity and belonging similar to what Nerd Culture provided them before. However, now they are extremely energized as the homonegy of White Supremacy allows them to weaponize their ideas of "authenticity" as Racism and their failures of meaningful relationships with women as Sexism.

RG0BS1U.gif

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This ain't Star Wars....

When's the last time y'all put on a headset and listen randoms while gaming.

That's our peers right there.

No shit will change if it don't come top down (developers, producers, designers)
In the meantime, I wonder what the more positive side of fandoms could do, and I wish the good fans would send as many support and loving messages as they can to people like Tran but it's always too late. If the toxic part of the fandoms is truly the minority, surely it shouldn't be so hard for the majority to send at least some messages in support.
The thing is, when fans do this, they get stuck in endless arguments with assholes that try to one-up their previous shitty comments.
I dunno, I'm always sad and infuriated when people are driven away from social media, people like Tran who only spread joy and positive vibes... The toxic parts of the fandom are not getting anywhere, these losers are not normal people and have a lot of time to lose. I'm not thinking of a virtual civil war between fandom, but I wish more fans would leave good messages on Twitter, Instagram etc... enough so the balance shift towards the positive side.
But perhaps they already try to, and it's just not enough because it gets burried under the gigantic pile of bullshit of crying men-children who can afford to do that 24/7...

This is something that gets on my nerves everywhere, even here. I'll always remind people that good people working on games have left this forum (or the old one more precisely) because of the toxicity in certain threads. We have to be vigilant everywhere and call out the bullshit when we can.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
In the meantime, I wonder what the more positive side of fandoms could do, and I wish the good fans would send as many support and loving messages as they can to people like Tran but it's always too late. If the toxic part of the fandoms is truly the minority, surely it shouldn't be so hard for the majority to send at least some messages in support.
The thing is, when fans do this, they get stuck in endless arguments with assholes that try to one-up their previous shitty comments.
I dunno, I'm always sad and infuriated when people are driven away from social media, people like Tran who only spread joy and positive vibes... The toxic parts of the fandom are not getting anywhere, these losers are not normal people and have a lot of time to lose. I'm not thinking of a virtual civil war between fandom, but I wish more fans would leave good messages on Twitter, Instagram etc... enough so the balance shift towards the positive side.
But perhaps they already try to, and it's just not enough because it gets burried under the gigantic pile of bullshit of crying men-children who can afford to do that 24/7...

This is something that gets on my nerves everywhere, even here. I'll always remind people that good people working on games have left this forum (or the old one more precisely) because of the toxicity in certain threads. We have to be vigilant everywhere and call out the bullshit when we can.

The rest of fandom can start by doing some growing of their own.
First, knock it of with the "not all" or "not me" bullshit. If it's not you, then you don't need to tell anyone about your frustration about being lumped in. No one is coming to drag you out of your home at night. Relax that victim complex. You're not a deer in headlights. Act like you have some agency and get of the damned fence.
Second, stop with the deflection of "I didn't like that portrayal/character". This shit is the fuel that started this nonsense to begin with. The judgement of the work has nothing to do with the treatment of the person in question.
Third, mofo's need to come to terms with the fact that not everyone on the screen is there to service their personal fantasy.
Not everything needs to be shipped. Not every grip has to be around your dick.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First, knock it of with the "not all" or "not me" bullshit. If it's not you, then you don't need to tell anyone about your frustration about being lumped in. No one is coming to drag you out of your home at night. Relax that victim complex. You're not a deer in headlights. Act like you have some agency and get of the damned fence.
Second, stop with the deflection of "I didn't like that portrayal/character". This shit is the fuel that started this nonsense to begin with. The judgement of the work has nothing to do with the treatment of the person in question.
Third, mofo's need to come to terms with the fact that not everyone on the screen is there to service their personal fantasy.
Yeah as in many things, the people sitting on the fence are tiring. I'm gonna lose my mind if I read again "I don't like her but..."

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Exactly, and the true blue honest meat of the issue is this..... I'll happily lay it out for the thread.

We have not come to terms nor dealt with the fact that Gamergate has radicalized nerd culture white males into AltRight psychophants. They not only adopted AltRight ideology but clung to it as it gives them a sense of identity and belonging similar to what Nerd Culture provided them before. However, now they are extremely energized as the homonegy of White Supremacy allows them to weaponize their ideas of "authenticity" as Racism and their failures of meaningful relationships with women as Sexism.

RG0BS1U.gif

Yep, pretty much.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
This is why people should not be able to hide their hate behind internet anonymity.

Do they though?
IGN changed their facebook logo to a pride logo and their followers went nuts. No anonymity. No hiding behind usernames. Their real names and faces beside some of the most vile and disgusting comments...just because the IGN logo was suddenly rainbow coloured.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Do they though?
IGN changed their facebook logo to a pride logo and their followers went nuts. No anonymity. No hiding behind usernames. Their real names and faces beside some of the most vile and disgusting comments...just because the IGN logo was suddenly rainbow coloured.
My final college paper was on the social function of copyrighted content in the internet age. I've been always a big advocate of privacy and anonimity in the internet. Not any longer. The system is rigged and being used and abused against us. We need actual legislation within the internet. The times of wild west in the internet needs to go away so we can survive as a society based on democracy.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've seen interviews of her and she look soooo cool and funny! I want to be her friend

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following this debacle too closely so forgive me for asking but what is the

"It's really about ethics in gaming journalism" excuse for the Tran backlash? I know her character was one of the ones singled out by the Star Wars fan community.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

We're talking about only an internet communities? Because people are generally pleasant in real life. It's probably what gave her the confidence to start her Instagram initially.

--

As an aside, I implore social media creators to completely and utterly take advantage of every moderation tool that they have at their fingertips. Starting things like regularly deleting spam, advertisements, and harassment, blocking toxic users, reporting violent or illegal behavior, and more.

But that's not Kelly Marie's job. She is an actress. That is her job. If anything is taking away from that, she should get rid of it.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about only an internet communities? Because people are generally pleasant in real life. It's probably what gave her the confidence to start her Instagram initially.
Fans seem to be generally pleasant in real life yeah. But I guess it's mostly because the people talking trash online don't have the same guts irl, obviously.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

--

As an aside, I implore social media creators to completely and utterly take advantage of every moderation tool that they have at their fingertips. Starting things like regularly deleting spam, advertisements, and harassment, blocking toxic users, reporting violent or illegal behavior, and more.

But that's not Kelly Marie's job. She is an actress. That is her job. If anything is taking away from that, she should get rid of it.

This would be a good initiative, but as long as we don't have a legislation for this, things will keep getting messy. At first I thought it was possible to leave things unregulated. Not anymore. The world has changed since let's say 2008 and 2018.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I haven't been following this debacle too closely so forgive me for asking but what is the

"It's really about ethics in gaming journalism" excuse for the Tran backlash? I know her character was one of the ones singled out by the Star Wars fan community.

Basically "It sucks that she's being harassed, but I hated her character who was annoying and I also hate TLJ. But don't lump me in with her harassers. #NotAllStarWarsFans"

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they though?

You would be amazed how many people i have seen online bitching because people in the Splatoon 2 Town Square have cards up celebrating Pride Month.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
My final college paper was on the social function of copyrighted content in the internet age. I've been always a big advocate of privacy and anonimity in the internet. Not any longer. The system is rigged and being used and abused against us. We need actual legislation within the internet. The times of wild west in the internet needs to go away so we can survive as a society based on democracy.

Privacy and anonymity has its place in the Internet. To advocate that such things needed to be eradicated completely seems chilling.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Privacy and anonymity has its place in the Internet. To advocate that such things needed to be eradicated completely seems chilling.

I used to think like that. I don't think anonimity is a luxury we can have in the world of bots and constant harassment any longer. As long as we are in the wild wild west in the internet, we'll have trouble. My opinion on the subject, and I've studied this one hell fucking lot and was very much against this ten years ago.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why do you and others in this thread have such a problem with people sharing their opinions on this news story? Kelly isn't reading this thread. "Best wishes" and "I don't like the movie but this is bullshit" have exactly the same weight given that context.

When people make replies to a news story that only express concern for their own well-being, it does not empower the White Supremacy Spirit Bomb as you seem to believe. It's an individual reacting to a news story. Nobody is harmed.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I used to think like that. I don't think anonimity is a luxury we can have in the world of bots and constant harassment any longer. As long as we are in the wild wild west in the internet, we'll have trouble. My opinion on the subject, and I've studied this one hell fucking lot and was very much against this ten years ago.

So many potential chilling scenarios can arise if we erase privacy and anonimty from the internet, not to mention chilling blowback against people like journalists, activists, whistle-blowers, abuse victims, etc etc. Heck, I wouldn't even feel comfortable putting my real name here in Era, and I am sure many feel the same as well.

Advocating complete erasure of privacy and anonymity from the Internet even as a response to harassment and trolls seems such an extreme stance to make. It looks like something that a totalitarian and oppressive government/regime would love to push forward.

But I suppose this is a discussion for another thread.

Oct 27, 2017
Anonymity is important when much of the world does not have free speech.

And the deplorables have already been emboldened by trump to go public.

The real solution is for social media platforms to actually start giving a shit and enforcing rules of basic human decency through real moderation.