• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His post doesn't ask for the context as to why I dislike Johnson. Just straight up says it shouldn't be allowed today. Johnson is self-inserting himself into this. Fanning the flames, distracting from a clear situation where a poor girl has been bullied online.

...how is the way he overtly calls out the people who are harassing her distracting from the fact that people are harassing her?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean, as someone who's older and watched geek culture grow it's been horrifyingly fascinating to see it grow from 'underdog' status into the monster it is today. You had a string of movies that had geeks as stereotypes getting thrown into lockers, etc. If you had to remake those movies today THEY would basically be the bullies swatting people, offline and offline harassment, and alt-righting it for the lulz. Give someone a bit of power and...

Deleted member 17810

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's time to say goodbye to these toxic fans once and for all. I don't want to lump those who don't like TFA/TLJ in with these scumbags, but they are unfortunately in that group for some pretty disgusting reasons. When I say the following I say it about anyone that harasses people like Tran over a fucking movie.

Lucasfilm & Disney really just need to tell all of these so called fans to take a hike. They shouldn't be welcome, they are scum and villainy that wouldn't even be welcome in mos eisley.

Deleted member 17810

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars fans are a special kind of fucked up

Can we stop with this kind of rhetoric?

Star Wars might be one of the more popular franchises out there, but these type of assholes are in every single fanbase.

"Star Wars fans suuuck" isn't helpful to this discussion and paints the actions of a small vocal minority as the majority view. Stop.

Vitriolic, abusive nerds are the worst. I can't think of a more pathetic class of human.

This is the problem here, not "all star wars fans".

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I could write an essay on this, but there is something about nerd culture that embraces anger.

While I hope no one here is harassing actors there is a tenor of anger in video game communities as well. Nerd communities feast on anger and rage.

They're just media products.

However, the fanatical devotion to these products incurs an emotional attachment. When a golden calf like Star Wars fails to met some expectation, the vitriol then is channeled in mediums where nerds are digital natives, the internet. And more recently social media, which I the internet for everyone else. Like gang turf wars, these fanatics mark their territory with vicious attacks. The targeting of women shows a crass cowardice and misogynistic element.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
It's one thing to hate a character, which I did, shes an annoying, useless, waste of time character. But to bring that hate to the actor as if they are that character in real life or as if they had any kind of control over the story of the movie is ridiculous and just straight out stupid.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017

Star Wars might be one of the more popular franchises out there, but these type of assholes are in every single fanbase.

"Star Wars fans suuuck" isn't helpful to this discussion and paints the actions of a small vocal minority as the majority view. Stop.

This is the problem here, not "all star wars fans".
#notallstarwarsfans

Is this tone policing or just derailing?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually haven't seen anyone post anything abusive towards her in TLJ threads here. Any examples?
Well their not allowed to here. But guarantee some of these fucks hide in the shadows on this site. Nerd culture is the worst in my experience. People think this site is full of great innocent people but their just in disguise.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
love how people have to use this topic as yet another place to let their hate for the movie known before eventually condemning the harassment

and by love I mean loathe obviously. part of the problem, yall are.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Have any of the star wars brass come out vocally about any of this? I know their was some rumbling around star trek discovery and sonequa (sp?) Martin-green being the main character and the actors and producers squashed that pretty fucking hard before their was even an episode aired. I feel like being very upfront about this stuff is good in discouraging the idiots amongst the fandom, and EVERY fandom has them
Rian Johnson's been tweeting about it and responding to trolls trying to suggest he's trying to stop all criticism instead of the toxic people trying to harass women off of social media:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every fanbase has issues sure, but I do also think Star Wars has a unique problem of the fans wanting to cling to a belief that Star Wars is some kind of unfailable thing that must be some life touch point for them or else they become very, very angry. It must reclaim their childhood, it must thrill them in new ways, it must answer all their questions about the lore, every subplot must be well done, etc. etc. etc.

That is specific to Star Wars. A bad or average Star Trek, Hobbit, Marvel, Batman, Spider-Man, Potter, Jurassic Park, etc. film and those fanbases just get on with their life after making a stink for a little bit maybe at worst. It's not the end of the world, and in many cases fans there will come to be able to differentiate things in "disappointing movies or episodes" that they even like.

There is some kind of deluded expectation to not be able to "move on" that is IMO very much specific to Star Wars fans beyond other fan bases. "Let it go" or "this one wasn't great, lets see what happens in the next one" is some kind of concept that is for whatever reason unbelievable to a definite portion of Star Wars fanatics.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every fanbase has issues sure, but I do also think Star Wars has a unique problem of the fans wanting to cling to a belief that Star Wars is some kind of unfailable thing that must be some life touch point for them or else they become very, very angry. It must reclaim their childhood, it must thrill them in new ways, it must answer all their questions about the lore, every subplot must be well done, etc. etc. etc.

That is specific to Star Wars. A bad or average Star Trek, Hobbit, Marvel, Batman, Spider-Man, Potter, Jurassic Park, etc. film and those fanbases just get on with their life after making a stink for a little bit maybe at worst. It's not the end of the world, and in many cases fans there will come to be able to differentiate things in "disappointing movies or episodes" that they even like.

There is some kind of deluded expectation to not be able to "move on" that is IMO very much specific to Star Wars fans beyond other fan bases. "Let it go" or "this one wasn't great, lets see what happens in the next one" is some kind of concept that is for whatever reason unbelievable to a definite portion of Star Wars fanatics.
This is a wonderful post. You summed things up great.

People seem unwilling to accept not every film will reclaim their childhood.

Do you see Marvel fans having meltdowns over Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor 2, etc?

Do you see Trek fans have meltdowns over The Final Frontier, Insurrection, Nemesis, etc?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

No, because it's particularly awful with SW fans. We have to call out toxicity when we see it, if it doesn't apply to you then nobody is attacking you

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm asking once again, did she release some statement?

Everyone is saying it's because she received harassment but how do I know that's not a rumour? Despite being the most likely reason given how fans have treated other actors I believe it could be possible that there might be another reason.

The OP just posts someone's hot take.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
This is a wonderful post. You summed things up great.

People seem unwilling to accept not every film will reclaim their childhood.

Do you see Marvel fans having meltdowns over Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor 2, etc?

Do you see Trek fans have meltdowns over The Final Frontier, Insurrection, Nemesis, etc?

Yeah I agree with this.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

Everyone is saying it's because she received harassment but how do I know that's not a rumour? Despite being the most likely reason given how fans have treated other actors I believe it could be possible that there might be another reason.

HOLY SHIT after all the people that came up in support of Kelly, after Rian Johnson calls out the fans explicitly about this, that's your take? And you call what I've posted a "hot take"? REALLY?!

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HOLY SHIT after all the people that came up in support of Kelly, after Rian Johnson calls out the fans explicitly about this, that's your take? And you call what I've posted a "hot take"? REALLY?!

Yes, that's my take. I wanted to know more so I googled around and I couldn't find some confirmation from Kelly Marie Tran herself and when I look at how news sites report it they use language like this

It's possible that Tran deleted Instagram because she simply didn't want to be on the platform anymore. Tran has repeatedly said that she doesn't like using social media, including Instagram, adding that she doesn't like to be in the public eye, scrutinized and judged. Many of these statements were posted on Tran's Instagram account.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/5/17429164/kelly-marie-tran-leaves-instagram

This has led many to speculate that the actress has done so due to the high volume of negative comments she reportedly has been receiving on social media from people who weren't thrilled with the movie.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06...r-instagram-posts-allegedly-due-to-harassment

Don't fault me for wanting to know the truth and making sure, hence why I want to know if she said anything anywhere.

EDIT: And for the record, regardless of why she deleted it, I totally acknowledge that fans have been shitty towards her for reasons I can't fathom. I don't know why everyone gets bent out of shape regarding her final line.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Yes, that's my take. I wanted to know more so I googled around and I couldn't find some confirmation from Kelly Marie Tran herself and when I look at how news sites report it they use language like this

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/5/17429164/kelly-marie-tran-leaves-instagram

Don't fault me for wanting to know the truth and making sure, hence why I want to know if she said anything anywhere.

EDIT: And for the record, regardless of why she deleted it, I totally acknowledge that fans have been shitty towards her for reasons I can't fathom. I don't know why everyone gets bent out of shape regarding her final line.

How tone deaf can you be? Tran doesn't owe the trolls or you "the truth". That's some fucking bullshit right here. Her director has come out and commented on it. She probably will one day comment on it, but she doesn't owe you or anyone else shit. Read the fucking room, dude.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How tone deaf can you be? Tran doesn't owe the trolls or you "the truth". That's some fucking bullshit right here. Her director has come out and commented on it. She probably will one day comment on it, but she doesn't owe you or anyone else shit. Read the fucking room, dude.

Why are you so hostile and rude?

I just asked if there could be some other reason. Which is not an impossible thing and news outlets have also used words like "allegedly" in their reporting because maybe there is some other reason. Most likely yeah, she closed her accounts due to abuse she received from fans, I am not saying otherwise. However, I ask if there's a statement from her (maybe her agent) and you jump at me like that? Calm down.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the way the conversation in this topic has gone I do have to wonder why you even need to preface your opinion about Kelly Marie Tran with that of how you don't like her character or the movie she's in? What exactly does that add to everything that comes after the fact as it mostly sounds like some weird nerd cred thing where you need to make sure you let all the other Star Wars geeks know you're still hating on what Rian and crew did to your baby before showing us how you really feel as a person.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Why are you so hostile?

I just asked if there could be some other reason. Which is not an impossible thing and news outlets have also used words like "allegedly" in their reporting because maybe there is some other reason.

Because asking the victim of abuse to tell "the truth" of why they quit social media when they were obviously going through incessant and daily abuse is flat out tone deaf and stupid? It's not about being hostile, it's about being logical. What do you want, a statement of Kelly Marie Tran on why she left social media? Do you want it written by hand? Do you want an interview or voicemail. C'mon.

Considering the way the conversation in this topic has gone I do have to wonder why you even need to preface your opinion about Kelly Marie Tran with that of how you don't like her character or the movie she's in? What exactly does that add to everything that comes after the fact as it mostly sounds like some weird nerd cred thing where you need to make sure you let all the other Star Wars geeks know you're still hating on what Rian and crew did to your baby before showing us how you really feel as a person.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is eerily similar to those Anita Sarkeesian harassment threads where people raced into the thread to let everyone know first and foremost that they hate Anita and/or her work before they can even admit that the harassment is bad and then devolve into arguments about ~technicalities~

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This is eerily similar to those Anita Sarkeesian harassment threads where people raced into the thread to let everyone know first and foremost that they hate Anita and/or her work before they can even admit that the harassment is bad and then devolve into arguments about ~technicalities~
I mean it has similarities but her work was specifically focusing on sexism so it was more eye raise worthy imo

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People get this fucked up notion that they own something. That they have rights.
The only thing people have rights for is to buy a ticket or not. And that ticket is all they own.
People have this whole "I have been a fan for so long I will defend this or that!" and while people can have an opinion on it that is as far as it goes.
It is fucked up when I see people use the word "we" when they start tasting the fandom Kool Aid and truth be told it is taught at a young age.
For adults it has always been sports. Our team. "We won!" "We are going to the Super Bowl" and the vitriol that is taught at a young age "Hey mock the other team with a hey batta batta!""
Venting and stomping about due to coaching decisions... "us vs them" is taught very early.
For nerds who did not have sports, there were franchises.
Star Wars vs Star Trek. Transformers vs GoBots, Marvel vs DC, Nintendo vs Sega, He-Man vs Thundercats or whatever.

This is the Star Wars we got.
I like to think that real fans find things to like, and like me feel that even a not perfect Star Wars movie is better than no Star Wars movie.
This Kelly Marie Tran thing though is even worse to me, because it is stabbing one of your own in the back.
Kelly is a huge fan of Star Wars, and it showed.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because asking the victim of abuse to tell "the truth" of why they quit social media when they were obviously going through incessant and daily abuse is flat out tone deaf and stupid? It's not about being hostile, it's about being logical. What do you want, a statement of Kelly Marie Tran on why she left social media? Do you want it written by hand? Do you want an interview or voicemail. C'mon.

There is a difference between asking if there is an answer and demanding an answer.

I am asking if she released a statement because I actually hope this isn't true. I really hope this is not true, if it is I feel so bad for her because I don't understand why she got so much hate so I am hoping that she did it for some other reason and not because of abuse. I am not demanding this instant she releases a statement however please don't confuse it with me trying to downplay fan reaction. I just hope it ain't so.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars fandom is a sinking toxic ship. I still love the movies, but I don't want to associate with a fandom complicit in something like this.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
There is a difference between asking if there is an answer and demanding an answer.

I am asking if she released a statement because I actually hope this isn't true. I really hope this is not true, if it is I feel so bad for her because I don't understand why she got so much hate so I am hoping that she did it for some other reason and not because of abuse. I am not demanding this instant she releases a statement however please don't confuse it with me trying to downplay fan reaction. I just hope it ain't so.

Alright, let's get you up to speed then:

Since The Last Jedi, Kelly Marie Tran faced daily and constant abuse on her Instagram account, while being nothing but a sweetheart and accessible to the fans, both in social media and real life. She won't release a statement. It's obvious what happened. It's great that you hope it's not true, but we are all telling you it is. Stop demanding/hoping/wanting/asking for an answer / official statement from the victim. Read the room. You're welcome.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

regardless of why she left she still got incessantly harassed

this topic is still pertinent without some statement from her

though let's be honest, she left because of the harassment

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is saying it's because she received harassment but how do I know that's not a rumour?
Is this that social media bubble I keep hearing about?

It's not some conspiracy. It's not some rumor. Why is that such a hard to fathom concept?

Prominent women of color get harassed/attacked on social media frequently. It's common. It's incredibly common.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Va7yy9l.gif

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017

Nah, fam. Imma need a sworn affidavit, youtube vlog, sitdown interview on GMA, and a press release from Kathleen Kennedy.

On Topic: Actors act. They're out there doing a job like everyone else. She didn't write her own lines or insert herself into the flick. Hopefully this BS doesnt affect her desire to do more genre work. Or big budget shit.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, let's get you up to speed then:

Since The Last Jedi, Kelly Marie Tran faced daily and constant abuse on her Instagram account, while being nothing but a sweetheart and accessible to the fans, both in social media and real life. She won't release a statement. It's obvious what happened. It's great that you hope it's not true, but we are all telling you it is. Stop demanding/hoping/wanting/asking for an answer / official statement from the victim. Read the room. You're welcome.

Is this that social media bubble I keep hearing about?

It's not some conspiracy. It's not some rumor. Why is that such a hard to fathom concept?

Prominent women of color get harassed/attacked on social media frequently. It's common. It's incredibly common.

I have to be very clear here.

At no point did I deny she was the victim of a ton of abuse. It's 10am in Japan right now, I just woke up and I want to know what happened while I was sleeping. Once again, I am not demanding anything, I just want someone to tell me if we heard from her about this. If the answer is no, then fine, let's continue but I don't like this insinuation that I am trying to deny she has been the victim of abuse.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst part about this is knowing how over-the-moon Tran was when she landed this gig, especially after she was nearly about quit the acting dream altogether.

Now it's being shit all over by these fucks anyways.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
I have to be very clear here.

At no point did I deny she was the victim of a ton of abuse. It's 10am in Japan right now, I just woke up and I want to know what happened while I was sleeping. Once again, I am not demanding anything, I just want someone to tell me if we heard from her about this. If the answer is no, then fine, let's continue but I don't like this insinuation that I am trying to deny she has been the victim of abuse.
My post wasn't making any insinuations that weren't in the quotes I included (with added emphasis added by me)