• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is an "accepted" slur? As in, a minority hears it and goes "yep, that's offensive as shit".

tjac

Oct 25, 2017
His mental breakdown was from some shit that happened to him in the public eye, and he was abusing drugs and alcohol while supposedly on antidepressants. Has nothing to do with his WWE style way of promoting his projects.
So his Trump stuff last year was part of his legit non troll meltdown, but this similar line of thinking he has now isn't?

I know it's "social media marketing 101" to stir up controversy, but you really think he needs to do this? He got millions of followers the first day he got back on just tweeting dumb philosophy shit. He stirs up controversy because he is outspoken in how he actually thinks. If in reality he was on some ultra left shit, he would tweet that out and still rile plenty of people up. Besides even if this was just a funny troll, he's still a fucking asshole. Looking how many dumb people in his twitter comments he influences.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
How come poc who might agree with something or someone right leaning gets it worse than anyone? I'm not a Kanye fan at all, but I've been noticing this trend a lot lately. I watched a video of a poc who was talking about his gun rights(not an NRA video or anything) and people of all color was calling him a "house n-word." That was perfectly acceptable via the internet, but not him agreeing with someone or something. It's fucking odd.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
So his Trump stuff last year was part of his legit non troll meltdown, but this similar line of thinking he has now isn't?

I know it's "social media marketing 101" to stir up controversy, but you really think he needs to do this? He got millions of followers the first day he got back on just tweeting dumb philosophy shit. He stirs up controversy because he is outspoken in how he actually thinks. If in reality he was on some ultra left shit, he would tweet that out and still rile plenty of people up. Besides even if this was just a funny troll, he's still a fucking asshole. Looking how many dumb people in his twitter comments he influences.
Maybe he fell for the Trump con-artist ways? He's a rich man in America, Republicans help rich men. The Trump rant happened before the meltdown, and then he visited Trump after he went to the hospital and dyed his hair blonde(I remember this because I thought Kanye was biting off Frank Ocean's look) Trump was elected, Kanye went to speak to him about issues in Chicago, and did a photo-op.

He had a breakdown, got to visit the President elect at his home after getting out of the hospital, and discuss issues that mattered to him to the soon to be leader of the free world. Not many people in the world get to do that. It is what it is.

I'm not saying I'm going to vote Republican because I'm a fan of Kanye the artist, I'm saying Kanye does this everytime he has something to promote.

Kanye even admitted he didn't vote. So does it really matter?

Also, Twitter mentions and replies shouldn't be a bar for what matters. That shit is manipulated and there are so many bots, trolls and fake accounts that you shouldn't read that shit. It's not good for your health.

tjac

Oct 25, 2017
And all I'm saying is he's an asshole. I'm still gonna listen to these two albums.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
How come poc who might agree with something or someone right leaning gets it worse than anyone? I'm not a Kanye fan at all, but I've been noticing this trend a lot lately. I watched a video of a poc who was talking about his gun rights(not an NRA video or anything) and people of all color was calling him a "house n-word." That was perfectly acceptable via the internet, but not him agreeing with someone or something. It's fucking odd.

I'd imagine it's because it's an instant shortcut to right wing approval and status at the cost of taking a political stance that is detrimental to the majority of the minority said person belongs to. Any sort of shortcut like that will naturally attract selfish people that are willing to parrot anything as long as it gets themselves ahead.

See: Paris Dennard. The guy is obviously willing to spout anything he is ordered to.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that crazy. Candace Owens believes that blacks aren't victims/are being victimized by liberal thought...

Kanye West is huge on the idea of not being a victim.

Ignorant, but relatively mild. His original comments on Trump were much worse.

I figure if you're rich & black, actually having built yourself up... You start to think a bit differently about others who are less fortunate. Which is sad, but.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course my Yeezys are about to arrive right when he pulls this shit

Kanye has made what I think are the some of the greatest albums I've ever heard, and I've continuously given him the benefit of the doubt when I probably shouldn't have

Just disappointed

Oct 27, 2017

Kanye has made what I think are the some of the greatest albums I've ever heard, and I've continuously given him the benefit of the doubt when I probably shouldn't have

Just disappointed

Don't feel bad about liking someone's art because of their beliefs. Just don't vote for them, should they run for office, because you like their art.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine it's because it's an instant shortcut to right wing approval and status at the cost of taking a political stance that is detrimental to the majority of the minority said person belongs to. Any sort of shortcut like that will naturally attract selfish people that are willing to parrot anything as long as it gets themselves ahead.

See: Paris Dennard. The guy is obviously willing to spout anything he is ordered to.

What if said person isn't seeking right wing approval and simply believes it. Does that mean such person should receive 10x the amount of shit a white person would?

Oct 28, 2017
What has Taylor Swift said that is "vaguely inflammatory." Or do you think she should explain to the 99.95% who have never heard of her being a white power icon that she's not one?
I just don't think it's asking a lot to condemn white supremacist groups when someone asks if you would.

In fact I think it says a lot more when she says nothing.

Oct 31, 2017
What if said person isn't seeking right wing approval and simply believes it. Does that mean such person should receive 10x the amount of shit a white person would?

First of all, a person of color is always going to be criticized more for anything period

Second, only excuses for being conservative is being dumb or evil. Any black republican has to be selfish as fuck to an evil level to support the republicans or insanely stupid

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
After seeing what happened to Andre 3000 and Common, I though Erykah had the baddest voodoo booty in the business but seeing Kanye and Lamar Odom got me thinking Kardashian's is on a whole other level. Damn, Ye.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I just don't think it's asking a lot to condemn white supremacist groups when someone asks if you would.

In fact I think it says a lot more when she says nothing.

This would be like if 4chan was accusing John Boyega of being a rapist. Should he come out and say, "I've never raped anyone?" Wow, tho. What does that say about him.

Torres

Oct 29, 2017
but for real, would you take kanye's alt-right politics, or j cole shouting MEDITATE MEDICATE at you?

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Kanye playing 8d Chess, and ya'll playing tic tac toe. He's got hypocrites, who demonized him in 2016 coming out and sticking up for him

Meanwhile the music he's been working on comes out in a few weeks, and everyone is giving him free advertising because he said he likes how a black woman went from a nobody youtuber to a tv personality. Kanye is the greatest shit poster of all time and ya'll fall for it everytime.

y'all on some crazy shit in this thread.

8d chess huh? I guess Kanye and Trump share a lot in common. Stable geniuses indeed.

The hoops Ye stans jump through to rationalize his shitty opinions never fails to astound me.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018

We can only guess what someone's actual motivations are. I'd say that if you're from a marginalized group and take a stance against them that you are probably going to automatically take more shit than someone from outside your group taking the same stance. Because the opposition will then prop you up as "one of the good ones" and use you as proof that the majority of your group is flawed. It furthers their agenda.

The motivation doesn't even matter in this case because taking the side of the alt right makes you an asshole regardless.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017

Communities generally don't welcome people that actively sabotage them. The increased intensity might be because ignorance is off the table. Someone who has lived my experience and is selling me out gets a different response than whoever is calling me a threat on Fox at any given moment.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
We can only guess what someone's actual motivations are. I'd say that if you're from a marginalized group and take a stance against them that you are probably going to automatically take more shit than someone from outside your group taking the same stance. Because the opposition will then prop you up as "one of the good ones" and use you as proof that the majority of your group is flawed. It furthers their agenda.

The motivation doesn't even matter in this case because taking the side of the alt right makes you an asshole regardless.
This is what it comes down to ultimately.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, a person of color is always going to be criticized more for anything period

That's what I'm noticing the more I dig into the internet. I don't want to derail the thread, but I've seen poc being attacked for having a completely left wing view and being attacked way worse if they even have 1 right leaning view. I just think its wrong and not fair.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

can you point us in the direction of this video

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just disappointed

but for real, would you take kanye's alt-right politics, or j cole shouting MEDITATE MEDICATE at you?

He is not alt-right.

This is what he agrees with Candace Owens on. Again, he's a rich black dude who came up.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish people wouldn't worship celebrities. Kids and adolescents can't help themselves, but adults really should know better.

Torres

Oct 29, 2017
I think there's a lot to be said on the self-reinforcing nature of victimization complexes, but that's not something that conservatives will ever get right. That conversation stays within the Left.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Kanye playing 8d Chess, and ya'll playing tic tac toe. He's got hypocrites, who demonized him in 2016 coming out and sticking up for him

Meanwhile the music he's been working on comes out in a few weeks, and everyone is giving him free advertising because he said he likes how a black woman went from a nobody youtuber to a tv personality. Kanye is the greatest shit poster of all time and ya'll fall for it everytime.

y'all on some crazy shit in this thread.
This is literally a t_d post

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a lot to be said on the self-reinforcing nature of victimization complexes, but that's not something that conservatives will ever get right. That conversation stays within the Left.

It's the same thing about most racial conversations. Issue is that people talk about it publicly, which means everyone can jump in.

There are so many conversations that work better one-on-one that are fucking terrible for a national conversation. It's what it is though.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing what happened to Andre 3000 and Common, I though Erykah had the baddest voodoo booty in the business but seeing Kanye and Lamar Odom got me thinking Kardashian's is on a whole other level. Damn, Ye.
Nah, these men just have mental issues to balance out their amazing talents.

Kanye could tweet that he's now Trumps's VP, that he is now 100% Republican, and that Speed Racer 2008 sucks, and Era would still gladly listen to him over J Cole.

Gladly.

I 100% separate Kanye's art from his opinions and shenanigans. Still love his music. Honestly haven't put much thought into his beliefs since "Dubya don't care 'bout black ppl -_-" and I'm not gonna start now.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm luckily one of the types that can separate the art from the artist, but I have honestly been side-eyeing Kanye and his beliefs ever since he decided to push his fashion line.
I'll still probably bop his new album as long as it's better than TLOP.

He is of course free to sell overpriced priced sneakers and sweaters, but I just dislike the fact that he will then go off on tangents about how clothing shouldn't be expensive and how bad classism is etc. etc.
Just comes as someone who wants to profit while still maintaining a 'man of the people' image.

As a poor ass kid who almost always got made fun of for his kicks I wish more people who found success actually tried to do something like what Marbury tried (unsuccessfully) to pull off with his Starburys.

Sorry, I know I got off on a bit of a random tangent. Heh.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not familiar with this youtuber at all. I take it she's one of these black people who doesn't believe in white privilege and that black people need to stop acting like victims. Is this the kind of thing Kanye is agreeing with? Its hard to determine from his tweet. Looking at his other tweets i think its safe to assume it is.

I remember Kendrick catching a load of heat during the release of TPAB for saying some similar things.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://twitter.com/joyannreid/status/988232385597726720

Meanwhile the giddy right wing reaction to Kanye is the latest reminder of their absolute thirst for a foot in the door of current popular culture. They act like they're satisfied with Ted Nugent & Chachi but it's just not true. They have political power but crave cultural power.
Eh, perhaps if the left had been a bit thirstier instead of ignoring Ted and Chachi's fanbases then the US wouldn't be in the position it is at the moment.

I mean have you listened to the album version of I? Listen to blacker the berry. He caught a substantial amount of shit for that track. let me try and dig out some links.

edit: http://www.mtv.com/news/2123601/kendrick-lamar-billboard-blacker-the-berry-critics/

One of the biggest messages on TPAB was poc needed to learn to love themselves to garner respect from others.
Shit. I have to admit my ignorant ass didn't click with TPAB the way I did with GKMC. I love the musicality and delivery of the first half of i but I kinda tuned out of the spoken word breakdown. More fool me .

Last edited:
OP
OP
xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.