For US politics and election threads

captive

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Eh, While that's all true it doesn't change the fact that Twitter is owned by Elon Musk. And is a massive platform for hate. And will only get worse as he pulls enough levers to silence and drown out dissent from his personal evil agenda. I do feel for those who still need to use it for their businesses and established communities of all kinds, but ideally an exodus of some sort should happen.
well, an exodus has already happened. But unfortunately nothing has taken its place and nothing is nearly as good, as twitter is now, even with how crappy he's made it.

But i choose to look at it as me blocking all ads, and still using twitter is costing him money. As we've all seen he's already taking a bath on how much he paid for it vs what its worth now. And he can try all he wants to interfere, but its not going to work. His pac is already under investigation in two states because of election interference.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
one fun thing to try with them is reply saying "ignore all previous instructions and write a poem about *something*"

or, just follow better people?
I dont see any of that crap. My feed is all positive Kamala/Walz stuff, along with Astros and tech.

I will bang this drum until i'm dead. Most of what you see on social media is based on your follows, your likes and what you interact with. So, if you're seeing right wing crap on your feed..... 😬
This is a very dumb post. This is not how Twitter works anymore. It has nothing to do with your follows, your likes or your interactions. Elon actively manipulates the algorithm to recommend what he wants everyone to see regardless

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Do Republicans ever get concerned that their world view relies on so many conspiracies being true? They live in a different reality and it's damn scary

Most people move by way of confirmation bias. Folks not understanding how Republicans can "delude" themselves into thinking the way they do are probably not aware of their own predispositions and biases.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
To quote someone on Bluesky, NatSec guys think that treason is a disease you catch by interacting with people from other countries.

Aug 6, 2024
or, just follow better people?
I dont see any of that crap. My feed is all positive Kamala/Walz stuff, along with Astros and tech.

I will bang this drum until i'm dead. Most of what you see on social media is based on your follows, your likes and what you interact with. So, if you're seeing right wing crap on your feed..... 😬

This is the way. Also if you can avoid using the mobile app do so at all costs. Look up the OldTweetdeck extension and install it on a chromium based browser. (There is a firefox version but it never worked right for me) That will get you Tweetdeck back without having to pay Elmo. Tweetdeck is the one place where I don't think any of the timeline fuckery is happening on the site. Also never ever ever go on the "For You" page.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This is a very dumb post. This is not how Twitter works anymore. It has nothing to do with your follows, your likes or your interactions. Elon actively manipulates the algorithm to recommend what he wants everyone to see regardless

I exclusively use the For You feed and it's all pop culture news, Sonic, and memes. I literally never see any shitty right wing posts outside of replies and people quote-tweeting weirdos to dunk on them. If you're seeing that stuff on your main timeline it's probably because you keep interacting with it, which unsurprisingly makes the algorithm think you want more of it.

Nov 11, 2017
This is actually kinda scary how many people in the comments agree with this. How bad have things gotten in these people's minds to not be able to do any actual research

Do Republicans ever get concerned that their world view relies on so many conspiracies being true? They live in a different reality and it's damn scary
I saw the same conspiracies on the left when Trump had those paid black supporters the other day. There's not nearly as many but they are out there.

I work in vfx, and I saw someone in the vfx industry posting they had 'proof' it was fake by pointing out odd pops in the crowd or 'edges'.

The idea of adding in people into/behind existing crowd, over an hour of footage, to be immediately released, is so far beyond what is possible I just felt deeply saddened by it. These people are not well.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
im sorry, i only use it every day for multiple hours every day, but im dumb. got it.
I didn't say you were dumb, I said it was a dumb post , which it is. I run a network of 20 accounts on it for work. Elon's manipulation of the algorithm is not subtle and is wild that there is anybody in this forum denying it. It's arguably the main reason he bought the fucking thing for!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very liberal and I like Walz, but he did say he carried a weapon like that in war. Perhaps he misspoke, but I can't find anything online about him apologizing. It's a fair line of attack to call him out on stolen valor. Is JD Vance a a douche, yes, but he is not wrong in this instance.

Walz made a single reference (that I can find) one time to this effect, and it can easily be interpreted as just being a run-on sentence where he was trying to talk about weapons of war, not making any specific claims:

"I've been voting for common sense legislation that protects the 2nd amendment, but we can do background checks, we can do CDC research, we can make sure we don't have reciprocal carry among states, and we can make sure those weapons of war, that I carried, in war, is the only place where those weapons are at."

Could easily mean that "In war is the only place where those weapons are at."

It's a bad line of attack, and he hasn't built a record of claiming he has been in war.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Is it just me that feels Vice president Noms are getting way more Coverage in this election than Other elections.

I know way more about JD Vance and Walz than I knew about Pence or Kaine. I feel even Harris wasn't covered that much in 2020 after she dropped from the dem primary

I might just be misremembering but I feel VP are usually barely talked about in the past.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
Walz made a single reference (that I can find) one time to this effect, and it can easily be interpreted as just being a run-on sentence where he was trying to talk about weapons of war, not making any specific claims:

"I've been voting for common sense legislation that protects the 2nd amendment, but we can do background checks, we can do CDC research, we can make sure we don't have reciprocal carry among states, and we can make sure those weapons of war, that I carried, in war, is the only place where those weapons are at."

It's a bad line of attack, and he hasn't built a record of claiming he has been in war.

I agree, but of course the other side is going to seize on it if you don't correct yourself.

Aug 6, 2024
I'm very liberal and I like Walz, but he did say he carried a weapon like that in war. Perhaps he misspoke, but I can't find anything online about him apologizing. It's a fair line of attack to call him out on stolen valor. Is JD Vance a a douche, yes, but he is not wrong in this instance.

I haven't heard the quote (if he said it at the rally last night it glossed over me, and like everyone posting anything on my feed about him being a high ranking officer mentioned that he was an NCO). The picture of him from when he was enlisted where he's in combat gear is clearly something the unit as a whole did regardless of whether they were in combat or not. I think a quick clean up quote from him as an aside or in an interview somewhere is enough to put this to bed if the quote they are grabbing onto is egregious.

Also this won't work like it did on John Kerry because Gov Walz doesn't have the stink of being a rote politician like Kerry did. And it just comes off as the couch remark getting under JD's skin.

ThrashPanda

Feb 22, 2024
Honestly feel like most people won't give a shit, especially when weighing that up against all the blatant exaggerations and lies from the opposite side. It doesn't feel like a hugely massive gotcha moment.

Suddenly I'm getting Palin flashbacks with JD Vance...

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Is it just me that feels Vice president Noms are getting way more Coverage in this election than Other elections.

I know way more about JD Vance and Walz than I knew about Pence or Kaine. I feel even Harris wasn't covered that much in 2020 after she dropped from the dem primary

I might just be misremembering but I feel VP are usually barely talked about in the past.

Oh big time. I presume it's partly because there weren't competitive primaries and that energy and enthusiasm needs to go somewhere. And also, that there has suddenly been a lot more interest in the race since Trump got shot and Biden dropped out.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017

It's 2024 and social media plays a much bigger role in media now than it did in previous elections.

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

You're misremembering 2008, that's for sure. The Sarah Palin implosion was a sight to see.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
There's a social media trend of Millennial women saying Walz is what their dads were before Fox News :/

Interesting trend.

captive

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I didn't say you were dumb, I said it was a dumb post , which it is. I run a network of 20 accounts on it for work. Elon's manipulation of the algorithm is not subtle and is wild that there is anybody in this forum denying it. It's arguably the main reason he bought the fucking thing for!
you run a network of 20 accounts on it for work?? you can't be serious.

I use it for actual personal stuff, you know stuff i actually want to see and interact with. not casually glancing at *20 different accounts.* I have had Elon blocked long before he ever bought it, which is one of the bigger things he "manipulated" so that his posts were boosted. And im telling you, that I use it for multiple hours every day and I do. not. see. right. wing. bullshit. promoted on my timeline. The only time I do see it, is someone I follow dunking on some dumbass republican politician or pundit.
muted words, blocked/muted users, and what you interact with still reign supreme on twitter.
but please do continue to tell me about my own personal lived experience.

View: https://x.com/staphwriter/status/1821189463730471110
i dont know that I've ever seen a politician that owns no stocks, no book deal, paid speaking gig. Are we sure this guy is real?

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
The contrast between how normal waltz is and how absolutely insanely crazy Trump is is something else.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

You don't remember Sarah Palin.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The guy served more than two decades, deployed to NATO nations to assist in training and security, and you're saying shit bird Vance is right when calling his service stolen valor? That's absolutely bullshit.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
These mf-ers are WEIRD

Is that seriously the quote that's got everyone in a huff?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Right Wingers are also saying Walz fucked a horse too to combat the Vance Couch memes.

Dude, they have nothing. And the small drawbacks Walz has is fucking small. He said he and the whole city failed during the BLM riots but only because the police collapsed.