Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
That NeoGeo one looks like a decent Samurai Shodown clone, anyway I'll have to give this a try, you can never have enough SNES JRPGs, thx alot! :D

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The max year you can set in SFC version I have is actually 2014...Like they didn't predict people would still be playing these games so many years later.

This is a series I haven't been able to get into but want to...
Yeah, they fixed that in the translation, and I hear there's a possibility of a clock hack for the JP version that does the same thing.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Great thread!

I've been interested in playing this ever since I saw the fan translation was released, but wasn't sure what the quality was like.

I remember the patch saying that only certain emulators will run it though??

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I need to check this out. I love the series to death, but I only played 2 & Namida on PS2 and 第四の黙示録 on Saturn.

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I hope these threads become a thing again. I loved backreading them.

I need to get back to Zero soon. Got a bit occupied with some other games, but what I played was very charming! The PLGS system is wild to me considering that it's an SFC gamd. Feels so ahead of its time, at least in terms of design innovation.

Also definitely recommend that anybody interested in it check out the full manual translation that the patching team did. They did a great job on it.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I just started this last night based on a prior recommendation from Aeana! It's very cool. I will post more impressions when I get further.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Seeing "JRPG Spotlight" threads makes me almost as nostalgic as the games they cover.

For those who are wondering, it's a pretty common and thus not all that expensive game either. I got a complete (though pre-owned) copy for less than 15 bucks earlier in the year. I expect the price to have gone up now that it's got an English patch, but it usually doesn't climb that much. Still haven't touched it though, and probably won't have time for it any time soon.

Yohane

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using the snes9x from the twitter link but getting "the backup data isn't working". Am I missing some settings?

Sun_Gaming_YT

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
I'm using the snes9x from the twitter link but getting "the backup data isn't working". Am I missing some settings?

Is the SFC file and the XML file named the exact same thing?

For example, I named them both "Tengai Makyou Zero (English)".

The game also needs to make sure everything is working, so when you see "the backup data isn't working", hit the A Button(whatever key or gamepad button you have mapped), let it do the check, then hit "Reset Game", when that screen pops up again, hit the B button(whatever key or gamepad button you have mapped) and it'll run another check and once it gets done, reset the game again and this time just hit the A button and it SHOULD run the game just fine.

That's how I got it to work with some help from the readme.

Oct 28, 2017
"The translation will work on real hardware, given a donor cartridge that has the SPC7110 chip,"

Does this mean it will only work on a Japanese donor cart?

Apologies if that's a stupid question. I'm not well versed in this area.

All I know is that I want to play this on my SNES console, on my TV.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I need to get a better picture of the SFC RPG scene at some point and what has fan translations or fan scripts and where. So I'll watch this and keep it in mind.

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
"The translation will work on real hardware, given a donor cartridge that has the SPC7110 chip,"

Does this mean it will only work on a Japanese donor cart?

Apologies if that's a stupid question. I'm not well versed in this area.

All I know is that I want to play this on my SNES console, on my TV.

I don't know the details, but one of the people who worked on the translation demonstrated it working after flashing it to an original cartridge of the game (video here). If you want more info, you'll have to ask him.

Is this working on SNES Classic?
Yes, I mentioned that in the OP. You have to use Retroarch (it doesn't work with the built-in emulator), and you have to use the updated snes9x core. There's info about that here: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/79032y/how_to_get_tengai_makyou_zero_aka_far_east_of/

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the details, but one of the people who worked on the translation demonstrated it working after flashing it to an original cartridge of the game (video here). If you want more info, you'll have to ask him.

Yes, I mentioned that in the OP. You have to use Retroarch (it doesn't work with the built-in emulator), and you have to use the updated snes9x core. There's info about that here: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/79032y/how_to_get_tengai_makyou_zero_aka_far_east_of/

Thanks wonder if they have similar steps for BS Zelda no luck for me yet.

Kientin

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Heard the name of the game, but never really looked into it for some reason. Now I'm wondering why, because this looks dang good. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Really wanna play this, but the chances of getting me to sit in front of an actual screen to play an RPG right now are pretty low, so in the queue it goes, for now.

I desperately want to play this and Star Ocean (SNES), but right now the only way I'd be able to do that time-wise is on henkaku, and the latter runs super slow with crazy sound glitches, and the former not at all. T_T

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge fan of 1 and 2 but this one's still in my backlog. I need to change the battery but that looks like a pain as I've never been good at soldering.
Little trivia: the Hudson/Red developpers made this game so that their kids could play a Tengai Makyo (the PC-Engine Duo was too expensive for them).

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
So excited to play this, the only taste I have got of this series is Oriental Blue on GBA. Been waiting years for one of these to get translated, now the wait continues for The 4th Apocalypse to finally get done, that one has one of the coolest battle screens I'v seen in a jrpg

Azar

Oct 25, 2017
SFCA
Thanks for making this thread, Aena! Heard about this when it landed a couple years ago and I'm curious to check it out sometime. I don't have any attachment to the series, but I played fan translations of Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia years ago and love seeing these late-era Super Famicom games available in English. Fan translations are an incredible gift.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
The production values in the game are insane, I was pretty impressed with some of the sprite-based cinematics. Lots of detail and great sprite animation... the Tengai Makyou games really have some stunning production values as compared to many of their contemporaries.

Also some other trivia, at one time WD wanted to release Ziria (and possibly Manjimaru) for the US Duo, but the system's short lifespan put the kibosh on that plan.

Any repros made for this yet? Lately I've been into playing these translations on a real SNES...

idalarian

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Is it just me or is the random encounters really high? I mean, I've played a lot of RPGs with lots of random encounters, but I think this one takes the cake. I think there's like one random encounter for like 5-10 steps each time... At least, we can escape the battles 100% succesfully. But stil...

Also, even after batting through lots of random encounters, I still died at the first boss. Is the game hard with lots of grinding involved?

Aside from though bad points, the translation looks stellar and the animations are absolutely gorgeous.

Really excited to give this series a try!

Oct 28, 2017

He's using what appears to be a Japanese donor cart.

Aren't there any American carts that have the chip?

OP
OP
Aeana

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. And it's most likely the case that the only donor cart that will work is this specific game because it also has the RTC chip needed.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone figure out how to get the updated Snes9x?

I'm going through Hourai High at the moment and want to tackle this one next.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I just bought this game last week on a whim, so it's been weird seeing all this talk about it thanks to the fan translation.
Always meant to play this series, looking forward to it!

Deleted member 5582

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since you bumped this, anyone know if there's a way to reset the clock on a real cart without resetting the save? I somehow got AM and PM mixed up when inputting the time.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This looks great

I've never played a fan translation before, so I have no idea how they work, do you need a ROM and then a separate patch for it?

How would you even get a hold of this game? Or any game not released in the west

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This looks great

I've never played a fan translation before, so I have no idea how they work, do you need a ROM and then a separate patch for it?

How would you even get a hold of this game? Or any game not released in the west
Don't think we can talk about that.

But do a bit of google research, you'll find out what to do fairly quick.

Deleted member 5582

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think we can talk about that.

But do a bit of google research, you'll find out what to do fairly quick.
Not pirating anything if that's what you mean.

85PgqPh.jpg

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This looks great

-buy the game on ebay
-dump the game using a retrode/jailbroken supernt/etc
-download and apply the patch - instructions for which are in the readme
-play using an emulator like Higan or Snes9x.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Thank you OP! It remains me of Digimon World in a way. God, there are so many RPGs to play and so little time. Will you make any other spotlights in the future? Like the original Oreshika game for the ps1?