Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
At least they offer to repair them. Certain other companies won't touch the controller's outside of their feeble 90 day warranty... Which to me; is a much bigger issue

Oct 27, 2017
At least they offer to repair them. Certain other companies won't touch the controller's outside of their feeble 90 day warranty... Which to me; is a much bigger issue
EDIT: Nintendo of America only.

Stop quoting me now please. I get it should have said NoA, the point was made the first time. I was only trying to get across that this wasn't company wide thing, that they didn't really admit fault, and that people like me in Europe would (most likely) be told to piss off.

Last edited:

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
My replacement pair before the drift saga began went to shit a few weeks ago. I didn't even bother calling nintendo. I just bought some split pro pads and called it a day.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
After 3 broken $80 controllers I'm over the switch altogether.

Nintendo makes the cheapest least reliable hardware and prices it the highest.

I'll probably never buy another Nintendo product again.

Fuck em

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I suspect that, after 2 and a half years, my left joycon is beginning to drift.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
And frankly connection issues. I bought a switch during quarantine and can't believe how frequently the joycons lose connection in docked mode. On top of missed inputs. These things are a total nightmare.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about the problem of loose joycon? I think that deserves some spotlight too. It's annoying when the joycon are not being held in place properly due to worn plastic numbs.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I did the buy swap and return trick before they started fixing them for free, my current ones are still drifting. WIth the quarantine, I don't think I'll ever get them fixed anytime soon. Awful controllers.

Bedraggle

May 6, 2020
Is this known to be an issue with the Switch Lite's as well?
Mine's less than a week old and I've noticed while playing New Horizons fairly often my character will fight against the direction I'm trying to run or wander off to the right if i'm not paying attention. I've not had any issues while playing Deadly Premonition so far tho but maybe cos the controls are so whack anyway ive not noticed :-)

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
My joycon I bought less than a year ago started to drift. Ridiculous that this is still a problem. It's my second pair.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this is why I would never get a Switch Lite. If the analog sticks on that go, the whole thing goes.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Anyone having drift problems: put some WD-40 on it

It solved my Switch drifiting problems for good. It's been fine for 2 years already.

Drop some and then move the analog stick in all directions in order to spread it

Give it a go

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
It's unbelievable they didn't a revision to fix this problem.
I don't use much my Switch, but right joy-con is already drifting.

Nov 13, 2017
I have a launch model that didn't have drift, but my left joycon completely died at random. It just stopped charging all of a sudden. Right one is just fine. Picked up a new pair, but found it extremely frustrating.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Mine's less than a week old and I've noticed while playing New Horizons fairly often my character will fight against the direction I'm trying to run or wander off to the right if i'm not paying attention. I've not had any issues while playing Deadly Premonition so far tho but maybe cos the controls are so whack anyway ive not noticed :-)

Yeah that sound likes drift.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
The left joy con accuracy is way too much I keep aiming up or down randomly I have to be very precise while aiming, is this normal?

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
All the joycons in the house are drifting (except my Switch which I barely use). I've tried canned air and recalibrating and alcohol cleaning, improves it only a little. They do all see a lot of use (2 kids, and wife played her Switch nightly, we handed her Pokemon Switch down when one of ours had a cartridge port die). With the kids' ones I kinda get it, but the wife is very careful with hers.

I'm not sure how much headache it would be to send them in for repair to Nintendo, how long it would take, and requiring me to leave the house and go to UPS or whatever. I ordered 4 replacement joycons on ebay. Gonna take a whack at repairing them, doesn't look too hard.

Also probably try to replace the dead cartridge port in the other Switch at some point.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm only interested on the Lite model of the Switch and I'm not buying one until they fix this shit. Not holding my breath.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I agree. Mine started to drift some months ago. I live in France so no replacement...I just bought a new one ( 80€ seemed crazy to me given the whole situation). And for some reason the drifting one seems to work fine again since a few days.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The left stick on my Pokémon-edition Lite has issues sometimes when I move it to the right. It feels like there's some physical resistance when it happens, and it causes my character to move very slowly to the right, even if I'm holding the stick all the way to the right.

Oct 25, 2017

It solved my Switch drifiting problems for good. It's been fine for 2 years already.

Drop some and then move the analog stick in all directions in order to spread it

Give it a go
Contact cleaner would be the better option for electronics but glad it worked for you. I saw other people who used WD-40 on reddit...some it worked long term others just short term.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch hardware quality is pretty crap overall. I know profits are king and all, but I'd pay extra for a better made system.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the guy on the right mentions the idea that if the ps5 or new xbox launched with this issue that people wouldn't stand for it because they'd be locked into one style of control on those platforms.. uhh the dual shock 4? shipped literally broken after a few hundred gameplay hours and people just shrugged and bought a new one. this is a big problem.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Give it a go
WD-40 Electrical Contact Cleaner Spray. Just being specific cuz spraying regular ol' WD-40 lubricant into your controllers may lead to a bad time and at best will still smell

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, GF's just started playing games thanks to AC on switch and she was immediately understanding of why I've moaned about it for such a long time. She hates it so much we're now going to have to spend £70 on new joycons

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also please for the love of god stop telling people to spray wd-40 into their electronics. wd-40 is a genericized brand name at this point, they just make an electronic contact cleaner.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That you only get 90 days warranty in the US for this stuff as standard is incomprehensible to me.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
From what I'm aware of, most Lites that have joystick problems are defective units out of the gate (and most of the time their problems are different from drift). I haven't heard of many users having Lites that develop drift issues like the regular Joy-Cons do, but the Lite hasn't been out for a year yet so it might still have a chance to become a widespread problem over time (the issue didn't become widespread for the Joy-Cons until a year or two after the Switch's initial launch).

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
My understanding is that drift is generally a physical particulate issue. It developed in my launch switch recently and I blew compressed air up under and into the joystick and it's been fine ever since.

Funnily enough my PS4 controller (from a Red Dead PS4 Pro...) also developed drift recently and I can't get it to fully go away even after opening it up and cleaning everything.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I will have to give this a try
The electrical contact cleaner spray works, BUT

- it's only a temporary fix
- it may fix your drift for one week or like four months at a time, but you'll eventually have to apply it again
- it might not work every single time you apply it
- after enough time it may not work at all once your Joy Cons have been sufficiently worn down

still, it's cheaper than buying a new set...

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame. First and foremost, it's an egregious consumer issue. No, free repairs (that I've done 3 times now) don't make it ok. But every time a casual non-gamer asks me about the Switch, I can't wholeheartedly recommend it to them like the Wii. There's always this one caveat hanging in the air.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to buy either a Pro Controller or new joycons for my Switch until they fix their issues for real.

I'm using a Pro Controller clone that works well for single player games , but I've bought a few local multiplayer games on Xbox One instead of Switch because I don't want to make people suffer with the drifting Joy-Cons.

I'm really disappointed with Nintendo's QC this generation, especially after the godly Wii U Pro Controller.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
With COVID-19 shutting down repair centers in the US and my joycons drifting yet again after I sent then for repair, I just went and got the HORI Split Pad Pro. Uses different joystick component so drift shouldn't be a worry for some time to come, and comfier to boot.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious why Nintendo still hasn't designed a custom stick internal yet instead of the self parts they're using right now. It's been three years with US branch offering free repairs now and the EU branch offering an extended warranty (officially anyway, unofficially they offer free repairs). Anyone know how NCL handles this themselves?