• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar

Tweet 1: Dear Conferences: If you disinvite a speaker due to "cancel culture"-style pressure, then, regardless of the political leanings of the cancelers, be they left, right, or something else entirely, I will decline to speak at your conference. It doesn't matter how many years

Tweet 2: have passed or how much you swear you changed and don't do that any more. Signed, me.

Tweet 3: (If we could get a critical mass of people to make similar pledges, conferences might notice.)

Looks like Uncle Bob got disinvited from a conference, so he is doing his own livestream on September 21st. Probably more interesting than whatever else is in that timeslot!

I'm not preventing any conference from cancelling anyone! It's just, if they cancel someone, they are also canceling me. Seems fine?

This is in response to Robert C Martin (also known as Uncle Bob) being disinvited to a conference (who then made a whiny blog post about it here) because of his political leanings and just generally being a piece of shit, examples below

The police are not the problem. The police were never the problem. Defunding the police is a terrible policy that will put hundreds, if not thousands, of lives at risk.

The cancel culture is in high dudgeon today. All the smug virtue signalers enjoying a bloody good pile-on. It is that culture, that toxic ideology, that in my estimation deserves cancellation far more than their victims do.

When you read code, the race, religion, politics, gender, and orientation of the author are irrelevant and invisible. The only thing you can tell about the author is their ability to write well organized code. Nothing else matters.

Ehj4SucXkAAyMKf

"There is a new far-left fascism that demands absolute allegiance. If you do not speak its language, perform its rituals, recite its mantras, and follow its commandments, then you will be censored, banished, blacklisted, persecuted, and punished"

People on the left don't support mass shootings. Neither do people on the right. Mass shooters are neither right nor left. Mass shooters are criminally insane. It doesn't matter what they write. It doesn't matter who they support.

The political rhetoric this past week has been unacceptable. Cries of Nazi-ism and reference to Japanese internment camps were irresponsible and beyond the pale. Shame on the media outlets who promoted this, and those who repeated it.
(this is about the US border camps btw)

If someone is a racist, you discredit them based on their racism. That's perfectly fair. What you don't do is suggest that their professional work is therefore invalid. E.g. the American Constitution is not invalid despite racist contributors.

lock if old

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised coming from the guy who thinks women are genetically not suited to tech jobs.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I'm also declining to purchase any of his games. I'm a far-left fascist now, whatever that is.

Oct 24, 2019
This is really sad to see his true colors since The Witness is a genuine work of artistic genius.

Why couldn't he be one of the good guys :/

"Far left fascism" though.. fuck this alt right douche

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Guy talks like he's some genius auteur but has been consistently owning himself for the last decade.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
For those who don't recognize the name, Jonathan Blow is the creator of two of some of the most acclaimed indie games of their time, Braid and The Witness. While I think opinions on Braid have lowered a bit over the years (Mario but Sad), I still see The Witness being held up as a marvel of immersive puzzle game design years after the fact.

Mr. Blow is also a piece of shit, a fact that I feel gets glossed over a bit because of the high praise for the previously mentioned titles. People start to realize this any time they hear him speak after a while, considering the only tone he seems to know is condescending, but this is underscored by the time he tried to argue women were biologically less interested in tech than men, equated anti-fascism with terrorism, and currently noted by him tweeting COVID19 conspiracy theories.

Mr. Blow is having a bit of a moment right now as he has decided that, despite barely making any appearance at conferences in recent years, he has decided he will no longer appear at any conference that succumbs to "cancel culture style pressure" to remove participants.

While he doesn't spell out exactly what set him off on this course in his twitter thread, a bit of likely background behind why:

Programmer and noted police-apologist Uncle Bob Martin was apparently invited to speak at some dev conference in Chicago this month, but was disinvited when it was brought to the attention of the organizers that Uncle Bob has a tendency to post racist stuff, like posting negatively about BLM or black people in general, excusing police actions against the protests (only ever referred to as riots by him), retweeting Fox News, and unironically posting about 1984 and "wrong think" (and also pulls out the "debate me" card) when people try to challenge him on anything.

Apparently this didn't sit well with Jon, who feels that "cancel culture" is being driven by people getting over-offended at small differences of opinion and risks destroying the ability for "engineers" to solve all of the world's problems, because apparently we're too busy cancelling the smart people who will fix everything because they're racist to actually solve things ourselves.

However, before the arbiters of cancel culture were able to come for him for all the "small differences of opinion" he's shared over the years, he has decided to preemptively cancel himself in order to claim the moral high ground, framing it as proof of his conviction of his beliefs against cancel culture. He's just, you know, also calling for a collective of people to do the same in order to pressure conferences to change, which by the way is totally different from cancel culture.

I'm almost a little saddened to see just how far this guy has fallen, considering I have quite fond memories of Braid and it being part of that initial wave of "indie" that got me more interested in the game dev side of the industry, but I don't see how I could ever support any project with some tangible connection to Blow anymore. Dude is just actively a piece of shit now.

Edit: I see I was a few minutes slow on the draw on my thread, but yeah, dude is just trying to preempt the day "cancel culture" comes for him when people put together all the absolute trash he's spouted over the years.

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Blow is a known asshole, so nothing new. Fuck him.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This guy is so far up his own ass I swear. Yeah Braid and The Witness are great games but if this is your philosophy, that no matter what people should be platformed:

tenor.gif