qube

Banned
May 28, 2024
]

You guys actually need to watch this movie to see that it's actually not a musical. All this talk of this movie being a musical has me imagine the Sound of Music or Pirates of Penzance or Phantom of the Opera or the South Park movie with the Blame Canada song and things like Willy Wonka film with Timothy Chalamet, I had no idea that was a musical until I saw it.

Yet curse whoever said Joker 2 is a musical and got others thinking that it is because it isn't. Did you not see the first movie where he was doing things like going down the stairs and he was imagining the song playing? It's much like that. Arthur meets Lee in a singing class and so at other points in the film he imagines him singing either by himself or with her. It is not full of singing, and no other characters sing.

Maybe watch it to see what the problem is? It doesn't actually give people the Comic book movie they were expecting. It is not a Bonnie and Clyde tale. Arthur is not going on a rampage after seemingly becoming Joker in the first. He is not some big kingpin of crime. The movie is full of court room and prison scenes, and just not what you'd really expect in a sequel least of all a 'comic book movie' and I hate to call it that because it is like it doesn't like its comic book links and tries to rid itself of them.

It's kinda like it didn't need to be made. Yes there are people who like the film but if people think they're in for a 'comic book movie' in watching this they're likely going to be disappointed.

The posts here keep saying it's a musical. I truly hated the first Joker and kind of confused as to how it got so popular so Joker 2 being trashed on is just a lil treat for me. Everyone's mad and I'm just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sep 17, 2018
This is Cinemascore so it's not subject to review bombing. Also The Last of Us 2 was amazing but was review bombed by right wing homophobes so I don't see any similarities to this tbh.
It doesn't remind me of that. The Last of Us 2 was at least successful with critics and sold well. It was more controversial with the fan base, whereas Joker 2 is universally disliked.
I didn't mean to suggest that it was review-bombed. I was just pointing out that the two works did not replicate the winning formula of their predecessor, but instead took the story in a completely different direction. Taking risks and making controversial choices will always upset a portion of the fan base, regardless of the quality of the work.

OlaStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Oh for sure it reviewed poorly but it did have a C+ cinema score and this has a D. Here is a list of the movies that got Ds. https://www.listal.com/list/cinemascore-films-got-ds

Fun to go through to see how many of them are now seen as great not just watchable because I think plenty are watchable. You also have to exclude Horror though because Horror generally always gets low Cinema scores for some reason. Joker 2 is in a very exclusive club having gotten a D that's for sure. As a musical I think it's longevity would be determined by whether any of the songs are good.
Ooooh the American is on there. By god that was like one long Nespresso ad in the way it was shot. Truly horrific.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
People blaming this on it being a "musical", as if there are no financially successful musicals. Even recently, you have something like Wonka that did very well "despite" being a musical.

The thing with Joker 2 isn't that it's a musical, it's that it's a bad musical and just an overall bad movie. Nothing happens in it, even the musical sequences that should/could be exciting are drab and dull. Most of the movie is simply spent talking about events that happened in the original and in the scenes where it's not doing that it's just Arthur sitting around doing nothing in prison or getting prison raped.

That's the problem, it's a deeply uninteresting movie where nothing happens and that has nothing to say. A movie that directly calls out fans of the first movie as losers. It seems deliberately made to piss off people who looked forward to this and bore the rest. Nothing about that has to do with the fact that now and then Joker and Harley sing a song. It's just an altogether baffling movie.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
From a record breaking movie to this disaster...
All these news and reactions make me want to watch it even more than before! lol

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain why both chuds AND the "other side" hate this movie? Without spoilers? I won't be able to see it until it's on streaming services. Just curious what's happened that makes everyone hate this movie. Surely it cannot be the musical parts that have been advertised since the movie was announced?
It directly calls chuds who championed Joker fucking losers (hence, why the chuds hate this) and the movie itself is just a huge bore where nothing at all happens (hence, why the rest also hates this).

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The posts here keep saying it's a musical. I truly hated the first Joker and kind of confused as to how it got so popular so Joker 2 being trashed on is just a lil treat for me. Everyone's mad and I'm just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I can't imagine calling it anything but a musical, personally. They start singing like two minutes into the movie and they don't stop until almost the end of the movie.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I mean from what I've heard, it's kinda a fuck you to incel culture. So maybe more people should see it?
That's goving this way too much credit lol.

It merely says at a couple of moments that the people who worship Joker are idiots. It's not really a big anti-incel movie.

I can't imagine calling it anything but a musical, personally. They start singing like two minutes into the movie and they don't stop until almost the end of the movie.

I agree, I wouldn't call it not a musical, however I do think it's a really bad musical. In a regular musical the songs being sung tell us something about the plot or the characters, like there's no way you can imagine the musical without the songs as they are a crucial part of how the movie's narrative is structured.

That is not the case in Joker 2. The songs feel superfluous, simply added because they thought it would be funny if they sang songs now and then. There's nothing communicated in the songs that you don't also learn from stuff they simply say. If you cut all the songs from Joker 2 you would still have essentially the same movie.

Last edited:

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect example of a movie that would probably made another billion if it was basically the same movie as the first one with a different story.

Can't believe WB gave them so much money to make a fucking musical.
It's pretty wild, if there ever was an argument for executive meddling it's called Joker 2.

Besiktas

Sep 2, 2024
I seriously think this movie will be cult classic that people judged too harshly at release.
It does what it wanna do very good , people are just mad that it isn't joker 2 electric boogalao or people already hated joker 1 without seeing it.

It's about Arthur dealing with joker persona and how troubled person he is, how that fame etc was never about him but this shadow persona. It's shot well, has great music and acting it. I don't get what's so bad about it

Marvels,morbius,thor4,etc are all worse than this

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's pretty wild, if there ever was an argument for executive meddling it's called Joker 2.
Nah, they couldn't possibly predict this. Last time a similar things happened for WB, thinking of the Snyder cut, the "unhinged" version was so much better received than the committee one. And joker 1 was an immense success (which I still don't understand). Letting the creator do their thing and trust them to know what they're doing was a good decision. It's not their fault the creator is fucking shit lol

And even with a crappy movie, the initial viewer numbers could never have expected to be this low, since word of mouth usually needs some time as well. This is very unprecedented.

I rather see more movies reaching for being something special in the future than less of them.

Zulith

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I still haven't seen Joker 2, but I did see Terrifier 3 today. Missing a DC film is unlike me. It's actually playing in IMAX 70MM near me so maybe I'll go next weekend while I still have the chance. I like to make up my own mind about things but the bad word of mouth was so bad that I just lost what little interest I had.

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
honestly, acecredible job, todd phillips, you pissed off warner brothers, joker fans, comic book fans, comic book movie fans, like genuinely well done, that seems like something you have to have been trying to do and you went and goddamn did it, and kudos for it, they all deserved it

he'll get another job doing the smaller movies he made his name with, he'll be fine

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I mean from what I've heard, it's kinda a fuck you to incel culture. So maybe more people should see it?

No. It's a terrible movie.

It also doesn't really explore the toxic Joker worship in any meaningful way. They DO bring it up , but it's so throw away. Sandwiched between courtroom scenes recapping the last movie and terrible musicals with licensed music.

A complete waste of time and it's not the "misunderstood, clever takedown" that its fans claim it is.

Metal Gear?!

Jun 26, 2020
The 1st one was amazing. WTF happened?
there was no King of Comedy 2 or Taxi Driver 2 to copy
Todd Phillips is actually a terrible writer and director if he doesn't have someone else's homework to copy, and his track record with sequels is even worse

81JMVKSvHvL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Ld007

Jun 1, 2024
Road Trip would not have been a hit if it cost $200 million to make. As for sequels...

81XbxHWEyyL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Um... Star wars would not have been a hit if it cost 400m to make either, what a pointless statement lol
Road trip made 7.5x it's budget, that's a massive hit, it's got nothing to do with anything.
Hangover 2 made more than 1 and they ALL made money, Empire made less than Star Wars.
I'm using Star Wars to show how nothing your points are here.
Did Phillips kick your dog or something?

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
You can have whatever opinion you want about his films, and it's perfectly fair to laugh at how bad Joker 2 is bombing. But the whole idea of 'movie jail' and 'failing up' is definitely premature. Todd Phillips is still very much in the box office positive for his career.

FilmBudget in million USDWorld Wide Boxoffice in million USD
Road Trip
16​
120​
Old School
24​
87​
Starsky & Hutch
60​
170​
School for Scoundrels
35​
24​
The Hangover
35​
469​
Due Date
65​
211​
The Hangover 2
80​
587​
The Hangover 3
103​
362​
War Dogs
50​
86​
Joker
55​
1079​
Joker: Folie à Deux
200​
165​
Total

Ld007

Jun 1, 2024
You can have whatever opinion you want about his films, and it's perfectly fair to laugh at how bad Joker 2 is bombing. But the whole idea of 'movie jail' and 'failing up' is definitely premature. Todd Phillips is still very much in the box office positive for his career.

FilmBudget in million USDWorld Wide Boxoffice in million USD
Road Trip
16​
120​
Old School
24​
87​
Starsky & Hutch
60​
170​
School for Scoundrels
35​
24​
The Hangover
35​
469​
Due Date
65​
211​
The Hangover 2
80​
587​
The Hangover 3
103​
362​
War Dogs
50​
86​
Joker
55​
1079​
Joker: Folie à Deux
200​
165​
Total
Exactly!! Joker will never make money with marketing costs, but he makes bank and nearly always has.

Quinton

Staff Writer at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
"Can we finally be honest about Joker 2?"

"Hot take: Joker 2 was good"

"I'm fucking tired of the discourse and agenda against Joker 2"

"Joker, 3 screenshots"

"Which movie was more underrated? Fern Gully or Joker 2"

"I can't believe audiences slept on Joker 2"

whoops, hit enter a decade early

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
"Can we finally be honest about Joker 2?"

"Hot take: Joker 2 was good"

"I'm fucking tired of the discourse and agenda against Joker 2"

"Joker, 3 screenshots"

"Which movie was more underrated? Fern Gully or Joker 2"

"I can't believe audiences slept on Joker 2"

whoops, hit enter a decade early

Something tells me those conversations will be fairly limited due to nobody actually seeing this movie.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Everything about Joker 2 was amazing. Other than the screenplay and the directing (The parts Todd did). 3/5

Last edited:

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, they couldn't possibly predict this. Last time a similar things happened for WB, thinking of the Snyder cut, the "unhinged" version was so much better received than the committee one. And joker 1 was an immense success (which I still don't understand). Letting the creator do their thing and trust them to know what they're doing was a good decision. It's not their fault the creator is fucking shit lol

And even with a crappy movie, the initial viewer numbers could never have expected to be this low, since word of mouth usually needs some time as well. This is very unprecedented.

I rather see more movies reaching for being something special in the future than less of them.
Sure, but is that the lesson studios will learn? That's my point.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
in-joker-folie-%C3%A0-deux-2024-the-red-lipstick-on-the-glass-v0-qjoe5pcfrttc1.jpeg

Y'all remember when some people were saying this was the best shot ever and this film was going to be peak cinema for a week after the first trailer dropped?

Yeah... that tone changed fast. Didn't it? All those people looking like absolute clowns now.

miraimatt

Oct 27, 2017
Was it because of a white cis man and woman lead that the movie is bombing, or because it just didn't stick the landing that many were expecting it to play on from the original? I haven't seen the movie yet, I live like 12 hours away from a cinema so I can't tell you the answer to that.

apologies if i'm missing something, but i think the point is that movies with women, POC, and queer people can underperform for a lot of different reasons too, but in those situations the presence of women, POC, and queer people is what always gets "blamed".