Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Yes. Some people are really showing their true colors....or just lack of critical thinking.

It seems obvious to me that Biden didn't respond to this in the way some people expected him to and now they need to scurry and find something else to attack him for.

He is asking for the release of records from the very place it is claimed to be at, which means he is allowing Reade to be heard and her claims to be vetted.

Oct 28, 2019
It is but it's hard to tell how much of it is the system turning on her. This opinion piece is the main counter-argument I've seen passed around:
www.usatoday.com

Why I'm skeptical about Reade's sexual assault claim against Biden: Ex-prosecutor

If we must blindly accept every allegation of sexual assault, the #MeToo movement is just a hit squad. And it's too important to be no more than that.

Note: I posted that as an answer, not an endorsement of the viewpoint
This is a nice read. Thanks for posting it.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Everything that is happening now is what I expected and has essentially broken me into utter despair. There's no hope.

I hate the fact that the farther in the past alleged crimes like this happened, the easier it is for people to deny, deflect, etc., and avoid a full investigation. But take heart in that things have overall generally improved. Alleged crimes like this nowadays are prosecuted much more vigorously. We must acknowledge the progress that has been made over the years. Things aren't perfect, but they have improved. Please dont give in to despair :(

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
Oh, he denied them?

Well then it's settled, we can all get back to sniffing hair in harmony.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
That was probably the best response he could have given in his situation.

Oct 26, 2017
This is a nice read. Thanks for posting it.
It's not. It pushes the usual "perfect victim" myth that has been proven wrong multiple times over.

Why did she wait so long? Why did she still support Biden a few years ago? Why didn't she talk about the rape last year?

www.independent.co.uk

What Harvey Weinstein's trial taught us about sexual assault

The former movie mogul’s trial has elicited a wide-ranging conversation about how victims of sexual misconduct are expected to behave. Clémence Michallon speaks to experts about the aftermath of such attacks – and their impact on the judicial process

If you support sexual assault survivors stop posting that article.

Oct 28, 2019
It's not. It pushes the usual "perfect victim" myth that has been proven wrong multiple times over.

Why did she wait so long? Why did she still support Biden a few years ago? Why didn't she talk about the rape last year?

www.independent.co.uk

What Harvey Weinstein's trial taught us about sexual assault

The former movie mogul’s trial has elicited a wide-ranging conversation about how victims of sexual misconduct are expected to behave. Clémence Michallon speaks to experts about the aftermath of such attacks – and their impact on the judicial process

If you support sexual assault survivors stop posting that article.
Did you read it or just skim it? If you read it you wouldn't post "If you support sexual assault survivors stop posting that article." The man carefully and meticulously explains why he is skeptical about her allegations instead of just making an argument based on emotion. He also a former prosecutor not just a talking head. He goes over multiple issues with her story and why they create issues for a would be prosecutor in her case. Should we not be thorough? Why do you get to decide what is allowed to support survivors?

Oct 26, 2017
Did you read it or just skim it? If you read it you wouldn't post "If you support sexual assault survivors stop posting that article." The man carefully and meticulously explains why he is skeptical about her allegations instead of just making an argument based on emotion. He also a former prosecutor not just a talking head. He goes over multiple issues with her story and why they create issues for a would be prosecutor in her case. Should we not be thorough? Why do you get to decide what is allowed to support survivors?
I did read it. He's pushing an old, debunked narrative about how sexual assault victims respond to trauma.

Oct 28, 2019
I did read it. He's pushing an old, debunked narrative about how sexual assault victims respond to trauma.
No this is not a "one size fits all" narrative. He's making specific points about her case, not victims in general. Its thinking like this that actually weakens the #metoo movement. Not all accusations, or attempts to question accusations are created equal.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how an official archive is supposed to have useful information in it.

He is hardly going to file a confession. I would imagine it also very difficult for the victim to come forward and complain (in a manner that would be recorded), in a culture where their boss can torpedo their future.

Not sure how it shows transparency. Seems somewhat diversionary.

Oct 26, 2017
No this is not a "one size fits all" narrative. He's making specific points about her case, not victims in general. Its thinking like this that actually weakens the #metoo movement. Not all accusations, or attempts to question accusations are created equal.
I would recommend reading the article I posted earlier as it reputs most of the points brought up in the USA Today article.

Otherwise we can agree to disagree.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how an official archive is supposed to have useful information in it.

He is hardly going to file a confession. I would imagine it also very difficult for the victim to come forward and complain (in a manner that would be recorded), in a culture where their boss can torpedo their future.

Diversionary on whose part though? He's the one being pressured to do it. People are hoping for some record of disciplinary action or mention of her coming to the staffers to counter their claims that they never heard of any complaint. It's a long shot though.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know words don't solve anything, but I hope in time you can find some happiness to cling to. I'm sorry that the world is such chaos right now.

You'll get through this.
I just wanted to say thank you for this post. I always try to not express despair here but I let it slip out. What you said is helpful to me, thank you.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, he absolutely is making statements about victims in general in that article, I read it last night. It's full of victim-blaming tropes and perfect victim crap.

Federal prosecutors are not experts in sexual abuse trauma and we shouldn't treat them as if they are. Prosecutor conduct is a massive part of why our justice system handles these cases so poorly. USA Today also published an opinion article by a different federal prosecutor in response to this saying Reade is credible but Dr. Ford isn't. It's all political gamesmanship bullshit.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
It is but it's hard to tell how much of it is the system turning on her. This opinion piece is the main counter-argument I've seen passed around:
www.usatoday.com

Why I'm skeptical about Reade's sexual assault claim against Biden: Ex-prosecutor

If we must blindly accept every allegation of sexual assault, the #MeToo movement is just a hit squad. And it's too important to be no more than that.

Note: I posted that as an answer, not an endorsement of the viewpoint

Michigans Gov Whitmer also came out and said she had doubts as well

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017

She said she filed a complaint at the time. So he's claiming if she did file that complaint, it would be in the senate archives. I'm assuming it wouldn't be since Obama must have vetted Biden like a mofo considering how badly the GOP was looking for shit to hit him with. So Biden know's there's nothing in the archive either because she didn't file a report or someone at the time covered for him somehow.

He better hope there's nothing there because that was a hard denial on camera. That would be as big as Clinton if somehow Reid is proven to be telling the truth.

Oct 28, 2019
I would recommend reading the article I posted earlier as it reputs most of the points brought up in the USA Today article.

Otherwise we can agree to disagree.
Ok I took the time to read the article you posted earlier. I see how the Independent article could account for her waiting to come forward or being hesitant to speak out against Biden. I don't feel it covers her keeping her work documents but not her complaint note, not saying when it happened, the strange love affair with Putin and Russia, the support of Bernie then deciding to come out when he started loosing, her supporting Biden's fight against sexual assault in 2017 (really strange) and how her story changed and got worse as time went on.

I know I understand "Old School, that looks like nitpicking her story and not listening to her". True, but a couple of those, namely the Russia stuff, the Bernie stuff, and the supporting Biden in 2017 stuff, look real weird and I don't think PTSD would cause you to do those things. I think that's why the author chose to say he was skeptical, not that she was lying. I'm not saying she's lying either, just that some of that information looks bad from the perspective of a court case.

MikeBreezy92

Oct 28, 2019
No, he absolutely is making statements about victims in general in that article, I read it last night. It's full of victim-blaming tropes and perfect victim crap.

Federal prosecutors are not experts in sexual abuse trauma and we shouldn't treat them as if they are. Prosecutor conduct is a massive part of why our justice system handles these cases so poorly. USA Today also published an opinion article by a different federal prosecutor in response to this saying Reade is credible but Dr. Ford isn't. It's all political gamesmanship bullshit.

I was gonna say that entire article was disgusting and clearly doesn't give a fuck about victims

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ok I took the time to read the article you posted earlier. I see how the Independent article could account for her waiting to come forward or being hesitant to speak out against Biden. I don't feel it covers her keeping her work documents but not her complaint note, not saying when it happened, the strange love affair with Putin and Russia, the support of Bernie then deciding to come out when he started loosing, her supporting Biden's fight against sexual assault in 2017 (really strange) and how her story changed and got worse as time went on.

That's what makes me doubt her as well. She spoke out against Biden's inappropriate touching before.. why leave out something so horrible as a rape? It doesn't make sense to me.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That's what makes me doubt her as well. She spoke out against Biden's inappropriate touching before.. why leave out something so horrible as a rape? It doesn't make sense to me.
Because rape is traumatizing and people don't want to relive it once, let alone every waking hour following their public accusation

Biden Requests Documents From Senate Archives

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
EW9otxGXkAc_Als

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
biden gropes like a mofo, there may not be formal complaints, but i guarantee you there are complaints

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
People that think that women (and men) can very easily report rape have no fucking clue about how this world works.
For real. The whole "if it was that bad, why didn't they just report it" mentality grates my nerves because everyone can see how tantalizingly close they are to getting the point.

The point, for the record, is "they didn't report it because it is a traumatic experience that they very likely want to forget."

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
regardless of searching whatever archives, i think he did that shit and i think he'll most likely get away with it. that's just how shit usually works in america.

going forward, people will have to grapple with their own internal morality on this one. and everyone will come down at a different place depending on past experience and present circumstance.

it's really hard out there and tying trump into things complicates it tremendously. and i know he's absolutely terrible enough that i absolutely would not begrudge anyone voting for biden. on the sliding karmic scale, trump is just that fucking rotten.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's tough. Allegations like these need to be taken seriously, and victims need to feel free to defend themselves from their attackers. But, these are crimes, and you cannot actually convict someone in the court of public opinion. There needs to be due diligence, and proof of a crime. Still, I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to vote for him in the light of this situation.

You just need to resign yourself to the fact that the alternative to a Biden presidency is much, much worse in every respect. Even in light of sexual assaults specifically, Trump is much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.