Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Ibelievebiden is trending. We devolve from Believe All Women to this

This interview was nothing more than Biden denying it, doesn't even acknowledge Tara Reade

How can you make that claim when she herself said her claim is with the National Archive and in the interview he called for release of the files in the National Archive and apparently in additions to info from the Department of Fair Employment, which is where additional information on something like this would reside?

That is the exact opposite of not acknowledging her.

As mentioned earlier by another poster, it is not unusual for a persons name to not be plastered front and center in a thing like to prevent them from becoming a target.

An accusation was made and he is agreeing to search where the accuser claims the proof is and then some. What more do you want?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Just to clarify, you're now saying he should step down even if it's not true?
I think thats the moral thing for him to do for the country, yes. But obviously he's well in his right to not do so, but once he is the nominee we can kiss any chance of potential justice goodbye and we are running out of time. That's how i feel and this whole situation sucks.

Wtf am I reading?

This is baffling to me.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I believe he should step down WHILE there are investigations going on. Not that if hes found not guilty. I think people are misunderstanding my post.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I think thats the moral thing for him to do for the country, yes. But obviously he's well in his right to not do so, but once he is the nominee we can kiss any chance of potential justice goodbye and we are running out of time. That's how i feel and this whole situation sucks.
Edit: Nevermind. It was somewhat clarified.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
What I am getting from this thread is that everyone who wanted him to address this issue were being disingenuous, because he addressed it very directly and went even further and said open the archives, and yet that is still not good enough. If he didn't actually do it, and there is no sexual assault complaint filed, then why would he say anything other than this? Do people understand you do harm to the #metoo movement by acting this way?

TopDreg

Oct 26, 2017
I believe he should step down WHILE there are investigations going on. Not that if hes found not guilty. I think people are misunderstanding my post.
And investigations could happen from a false accusation of rape also (which is the point of having an investigation). Your belief would still lead to a random person being able to take down a politician at a whim (stepping down would hurt the politician massively). That is still absurd.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Then what happens when this happens to the next nominee?

Stepping down is an admission of guilt. Your suggestion is totally unreasonable and not forward thinking at all.

You're literally operating on guilty until proven innocent and that's not how things work.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It generally doesn't. But given his response so far, it seems like he recognizes it would be difficult to go after Biden after how he has spoken about his own allegations.

I don't think it will. But I also don't think it's going to be a huge assault from the right. They don't have much to stand on because of Trump.

It will really only speak to the die hard Trumpers.
I've come to expect the unexpected at this point. The right has no moral reason to take a stand against Biden due to Trump's sexual assault sliminess, but the right is without morals in this day and age. After the last election, it's clear that republicans hold their candidates to a much lower standard. Trump and his team live in their own delusional world, and he'll take every opportunity he can to take shots at Biden.

I think if these allegations stick for the upcoming election season, it will hurt Biden. It won't make or break the election probably, but it'll make the fight harder. And the last thing we need is another popular voter idea of picking the "lesser of two evils" during an election. Hilary was by far the lesser evil, but again, the left and right hold their candidates to much different standards.

This interview was nothing more than Biden denying it, doesn't even acknowledge Tara Reade
What is with people wanting him to acknowledge her by name? I would find it far more gross if he felt the need to put her name out there. It would a way of shaming her directly and fuel harassment towards her.

Woke Garlic

Aug 24, 2018
Official Staff Communication
The topic of the thread is the allegations against Biden, not his past votes or the Iraq War. Please stay on topic.

You must not talk about aspects of this presidential candidate in a thread about this presidential candidate. People's actions regarding one issue do not relate at all to their actions regarding a different issue... Come on guys. This is how humans work! Compartmentalize every part of them.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I've come to expect the unexpected at this point. The right has no moral reason to take a stand against Biden due to Trump's sexual assault sliminess, but the right is without morals in this day and age. After the last election, it's clear that republicans hold their candidates to a much lower standard. Trump and his team live in their own delusional world, and he'll take every opportunity he can to take shots at Biden.

I think if these allegations stick for the upcoming election season, it will hurt Biden. It won't make or break the election probably, but it'll make the fight harder. And the last thing we need is another popular voter idea of picking the "lesser of two evils" during an election. Hilary was by far the lesser evil, but again, the left and right hold their candidates to much different standards.

I definitely get where you're coming from.

The past four years have basically been one thing I didn't expect after the other.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
You must not talk about aspects of this presidential candidate in a thread about this presidential candidate. People's actions regarding one issue do not relate at all to their actions regarding a different issue... Come on guys. This is how humans work! Compartmentalize every part of them.

Is this a serious post?

You have many other threads to discuss those things without diverting attention from the issue this thread is trying to discuss.

Hoping I'm just reading your post wrong.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Trump is the better person? Is that what you really?

I never said Trump is the better person. Trump is garbage but Joe is extremely compromised. The next 6 months are going to be Trump taking shots at Biden wherever and whenever he can. And he may be down in the polls in most of the swing states but guess what he was in 2016 too against Hillary. The Democrats now look like absolute clowns and hypocrites.

Especially with how they pressed Kavanaugh and Franken about their indiscretions but have been almost completely silent over Joe's accusations. The GOP may be morally bankrupt and greedy capitalists who wouldn't think twice about sacrificing people for profits but they aren't stupid this is going to be their plan of attack for the next 6 months on the democrats and Joe specifically. And all the faux party unity in the world isn't going to get Biden elected this November.

And to be clear four more years of Trump absolutely terrifies me but the democrats fucked up when they put all their chips on someone like fucking Joe Biden. So yes, I'll be shocked if he actually wins in November.

KamratSkutt

Mar 28, 2020
There are several degrees of separation between the two, yes. And proof of one is not proof of the other.

Do you disagree with any of that?
You are saying videos of a dude punching people in the face isn't proof that he is a murderer?
No its not proof. You are right. But its a pattern of sexual violence against women. If a dude is accused of beating someone to death, has a history of violence and there are tapes of him beating people. Well that suggests to me that he most likely beat a man to death.

But you are correct, that is not proof.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
How can you make that claim when she herself said her claim is with the National Archive and in the interview he called for release of the files in the National Archive and apparently in additions to info from the Department of Fair Employment, which is where additional information on something like this would reside?

That is the exact opposite of not acknowledging her.

As mentioned earlier by another poster, it is not unusual for a persons name to not be plastered front and center in a thing like to prevent them from becoming a target.

An accusation was made and he is agreeing to search where the accuser claims the proof is and then some. What more do you want?
What is with people wanting him to acknowledge her by name? I would find it far more gross if he felt the need to put her name out there. It would a way of shaming her directly and fuel harassment towards her.

Because it was Mika's second question if Biden remembers Tara Reade and following up if he remembers any complaint. He glossed over it answering the second question. All he could have said that Tara Reade was a staffer and not remembering any complaints.

I'm not trying to play lawyer here but every detail matters.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Finally watched the interview and holy crap he looks terrible in it. Especially when being challenged with his own quotes on believing women. He even questions why it took her so long to come forward lol. The entire interview is filled with standard don't believe women rhetoric. This is such a set back because it now has what were among the only advocates for women now using the same language the shitbags use when accusations are made.

ChestRockwell

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that literally nothing Biden does can appease you people. How in the world is that an alt-right talking point? He went on and answered questions, released records, etc., unlike anyone notable on the right. You're welcome to withhold judgment until the results of the investigation are concluded, but Biden has taken a lot of good steps which would leave reasonable people reasonably satisfied.

You claimed Reade supporters were suffering from "Biden derangement syndrome" .

Are you telling me that you just happened to coin the phrase "Biden Derangement Syndrome"? Gtfo

You know that "Trump derangement syndrome" is an alt-right dogwhistle. Therefore, substituting Biden for Trump is co-opting an alt-right dogwhistle.

This isn't complicated.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Right, but how many people died in Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, and Libya?

Trump sucks no argument here but I can't take acting like he's the most horrific President of All time seriously. He is super crass and super dumb, these other guys before him were much more efficient killers
Do we know the casualty numbers under Trump? He didn't end all these conflicts. One of the first things he did was losen the rules of engagement and ended reporting of civilian casualties that President Obama had required. He thought President Obama was too soft and not violent enough. That we had tried too hard to not kill civilians.

theintercept.com

Don’t Forget: Civilian Casualties Are Skyrocketing Under Trump

Amid the impeachment inquiry, it’s important to remember that Donald Trump has committed other moral crimes — like the slaughter of civilians abroad.

We also can't forget how he very suddenly, with no warning, shifted troops from supporting the Kurds, even dismantling the defensive fortifications that were set up. This preceded an instant Turkish ethnic cleansing campaign. We know civilian casualties increased year over year under his Presidency, and still have less of an idea of what the numbers are.

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The topic of the thread is the allegations against Biden, not his past votes or the Iraq War. Please stay on topic.
I understand and agree with this, but it should be extended to having any sort of Trump comparisons or talking about the lesser evil. If this thread is to be about his denial of the sexual assault allegations there also shouldn't be derails based on who is better or worse, first of all because it doesn't have anything to do with the thread (maybe Trump's own sexual assault allegation could, maybe), second of all that conversation can't not devolve into past votes and policies, which are now explicitly not part of the thread.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
biden on ford: "she should be heard, and the fact that she came forward the presumption would be that shes telling until until its proved that she wasn't telling the truth"

he buried himself with this line because it hasn't been proven at all that reade isn't telling the truth

EDIT: nvm, he corrected it by saying "well, not necessarily 'proved'""

people can say he's lost much of his mojo, and he has, and i dunno if it was accidental, but he was sharp enough to pick up on that one quick

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the statement was well done.

Sounds like she's saying there wasn't a formal complaint so wouldn't be any paper trail regardless?

I don't understand those upset about him not using her name in the statement, he's calling her a liar in the nicest way possible. Including her name would only lead to more targeted harassment.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
THis would be a bannable post back in the threads about Kavanaugh. Funny how that's changed.

This is one of the more disingenuous posts I've seen in a while.

I was literally replying to someone who said "Biden should step down until he is found not guilty." Pointing out that he isn't on trial as a reply to that comment is not the same thing as the type of "bannable post" you're trying to paint it as.

It is not the same thing as coming into a thread to say, "But he's not even on trial!" as a response to people who believe the woman, which is the type of "bannable post" you are referring to.

And you know that. Don't purposefully ignore context so you can try to make some sort of point.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
never-compromise-watchmen.jpg

invoking watchmen in this situation is really, really funny

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I don't get why people want Biden to say her name. Wouldn't it be more disrespectful to directly say, "Tara Reade is a liar"?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Am I missing something or are the people here being purposely dense? Addressing the allegations and opening the archives is part of "believing women". "Believing women" doesn't mean, welp I've been accused, lock me up! This is literally part of the process. Ofc he's going to deny the allegations, it's a he-said she-said at this point.
The end goal for some appears to be undermining Biden's candidacy, regardless of what an investigation may bring.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Because it was Mika's second question if Biden remembers Tara Reade and following up if he remembers any complaint. He glossed over it answering the second question. All he could have said that Tara Reade was a staffer and not remembering any complaints.

I'm not trying to play lawyer here but every detail matters.

What is gained from that? The important thing is he acknowledged the claims and is agreeing to allow the records to show what Reade claims to be there, in addition to them also checking the Department of Fair Employment.

What Mika suggested cant be done. You can't just search for a key word in something that isn't even scanned in yet and the only outcome would be to check the entirely of his records. Records that don't get released like that for anyone still in public office.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Watch his interview with Mika because that was not well done at all. It was a disaster.

It wasn't a disaster. We would be seeing a reaction from the public that fits that narrative if that were the case.

Reaction seems to be mixed to it and a lot of those reactions are going to be based around the opinions that people already held. If it were a disaster, we'd be seeing much more specific reaction.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017

He most definitely acknowledges Tara Reade. He just doesn't plaster her name all over the place because blasting out the names of normal citizens isn't a responsible thing for a politician to do.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the statement was well done.

Sounds like she's saying there wasn't a formal complaint so wouldn't be any paper trail regardless?

I don't understand those upset about him not using her name in the statement, he's calling her a liar in the nicest way possible. Including her name would only lead to more targeted harassment.

She says she made a written complaint about being "uncomfortable" but it does not mention sexual assault. She doesnt have a copy of the complaint but she believes the national archive should have it in her personnel file.

So, even if they recover the complaint, I don't believe it'll be enough to force Biden out. Thats likely why he gave the thumbs up on a review of the files because either way it won't be proof. He'll continue to deny unless there is hard evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.