• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Jim is treasure that keeps giving.

What a turn of events. While they showed good/great games, everything since that was clusterfuck.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Spencer and Microsoft never pretended otherwise. They correctly admitted that - like in all generations beforehand - the current consoles will still be supported well into the life cycles of the next generation.

Sony used that basic fact that should be known by all, and decided to market their console as "true next gen" to give the aura that the PS5 would truly be a leap forward in a way that completely inundated the current generation, but that comes with certain unattainable expectations. I guess the chickens had to come home to roost at some point.
I can get this but there wasn't anything they showed that didn't look like it could run on current gen outside a handful of games.

Between this and the UE5 demo I was suspecting the PS4 10 year cycle was still in play. While I thought it was obvious, I can certainly see how they were deceiving as fuck. This definitely means I'm not selling my PS4 though and will just have it in another room. Hope cross-saves are seamless lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Uh what did he lie about? His quote doesn't mean first party will be cross gen for 3 to 4 years. People thought they were going to tell the whole Industry to stop suppoting PS4? That fucker still has a $99 price tag to crush holidays down the line.
Its funny. People were outraged and calling Sony anti consumer a few months back but now we find out they aren't being anti consumer at all, far from it, and people are still outraged.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony's messaging was irrefutably about generations while Microsoft took a heap of shit talking about cross gen here and various outlets (TechRadar article thread here was locked when this hypocrisy was highlighted a little while ago).

Sony bent the truth...

Or people didn't get his quote? Sony believes in generations as there will be PS5 PS6 PS7 etc. That didn't mean they were going to stop full PS4 support across the board as soon as PS5 released. Again his quote doesn't state first party will be split for the next few years. Only that PS4 in general will be supported.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Cool I get to play Miles Morales and Horizon 2, save 500 bucks and then buy it when it has a price drop and all the next gen exclusives are 20 bucks

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
but cmon guys, dont you want those ps4 sales numbers to increase?!?! /S

Seriously though, Sony straight up lied to their fans

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
The PS3 was supported for over a decade, well after the PS4 launch. Same with the PS2. 10 years of PS4 support would wind down in about 2023. Don't get the controversy here.

Me neither people seem to be mad that they did not mention the ps4 versions of Horizon and Spiderman Miles Morales until now but preorders for the ps5 have not even begun yet when those games were first annouced and frankly I am very happy that I don't have to jump into a new console gen just to play Horizon and Miles Morales Spiderman.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
They lied so much that they completely deflated my hype. Really... what the fuck...

"We believe in generations, there are things you can only enjoy on PS5"
"You will have time to pre order"
"value talk" when upping the prices for games drastically

and while they talk of generations and things you can only play on PS5 they come along and present a 10 year old games remake as launch title

this is in no way meant to be dismissive, i am looking forward to it, Demon´s Souls is one of my favourite games but somehow it is a bit strange when you talk of "things only on PS5" and give a remake of a 10 year old game as launch title. it is a really double edged sword, on one hand exciting, on the other it is a bit odd.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Don't misinterpret this. Sony always keep supporting their last gen consoles for many years. It doesn't mean that they'll keep making cross-gen games.

In fact, after all this mess, I think both Microsoft and Sony will stop doing cross-gen games by those which will launch fall 2021.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, why even create new systems. Just release them in 3/4 years. This day was supposed to be a fun day.... Now we got 80euros games that still gonna have monitazation, being incomplete on disc, broken games and a attitude "how to squeeze out ever drop of blood from our user base". Games that are designed for cpu that were outdated in 2012, mechinacal hdd... I hate Jim's PlayStation vision. It sucks and why even release new systems.

What a shit day this turned out to be.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is upset about that and you know it. People are upset that those games wont take full advantage of the PS5's hardware, this has been explained a million times already.
The games probably started development on the PS4. That's how game development works these days. It's a lengthy task.

People are upset because they're whiny and like whining. This is ridiculous. Every PS gen has done this.

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony has always supported their consoles after the launch of a new one, and third parties will never just give up on the already built in user base until the new ones start gaining ground. It's no different than other generations.

I also think it's going to be important this time because a lot of people are currently fucked by COVID. The people are throwing over some of this stuff is embarrassing.

Oct 25, 2017
"We believe in generations"
"We want to transition players from PS4 to PS5 at an unprecedented pace"
"PS4 support for 4 more years"

What a crock of shit.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
Of course they are, like it was with PS, PS2 and PS3, is one of the things that makes Sony an unstoppable force.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
😂😂😂

I sure hope GoW Ragnarok is not cross gen
Lol. I'd keep those expectations in check to be honest. They did no DLC and the game came out in 2018? They probably began development right away after the first which leads me to believe there's a good chance it started on PS4.

We'll see. I still think it gets delayed into 2022.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The games probably started development on the PS4. That's how game development works these days. It's a lengthy task.

People are upset because they're whiny and like whining. This is ridiculous. Every PS gen has done this.
If you wanna believe that, sure, go ahead.
And no, not every PS gen has done this. Last time the only cross-gen stuff was LBP3, the MLB games and some indie sized games such as Resogun, Entwined, Helldivers and stuff.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I can get this but there wasn't anything they showed that didn't look like it could run on current gen outside a handful of games.

Between this and the UE5 demo I was suspecting the PS4 10 year cycle was still in play. While I thought it was obvious, I can certainly see how they were deceiving as fuck. This definitely means I'm not selling my PS4 though and will just have it in another room. Hope cross-saves are seamless lol.

I would agree, but the "look" of a game doesn't really reveal much, because it is subjective. Most of the times it just comes down to not wanting to put a game on a weaker console even though the game wouldn't have much issue being scaled to that compute lower.

Sony was specifically antagonistic in their marketing, directly referencing Microsoft's messaging to highlight how they stand apart. It was very purposeful, which is why people are reacting the way they are. It comes off as hypocritical for no reason, and deceptive to market certain games as PS5 only, but then reveal they're also for the PS4 it fine print or tucked in announcement blogs.

Is it Oochie Wally or is it One Mic?

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Wait people are mad they're going to keep supporting the PS4?
People are mad because Sony was pushing for a fast transition, experiences that can only be enjoyed on PS5 and "PS5 exclusives will not be cross gen" for months only for it turn turn out that a number of the games showcased for the PS5 are crossgen and Sony is now talking about the PS4 being more important for 3-4 more years.

Normally most probably wouldn't be too upset(we all know some would), but some of the stuff Sony said clearly deceived people.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole cross-gen thing for Sony makes their decision to block the DS4 make even less sense.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
With gorgeous looking stuff like Horizon 2 coming to current gen maybe this place can finally agree that games can scale their visuals without compromising the best version. Or else this place has one hell of a double standards problem.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When Jim said, "Think of the children." He was talking about this thread.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are mad because Sony was pushing for a fast transition, experiences that can only be enjoyed on PS5 and "PS5 exclusives will not be cross gen" for months only for it turn turn out that a number of the games showcased for the PS5 are crossgen and Sony is now talking about the PS4 being more important for 3-4 more years.

Normally most probably wouldn't be too upset(we all know some would), but some of the stuff Sony said clearly deceived people.
I'm thinking covid and series S made them do this. They'll push PS4 as the budget option to compete against s, since I expect lots of cross gen from third parties.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys sound like that crazy MBG guy on youtube who nearly choked on his own tongue today trying to walk back on all the shit talk Xbox got about cross gen for months.

Of course they are going to support the PS4 for years to come. The PS2 had a good line 10 years after its debut and only recently did they stop with the PS3. PS4 is too popular and hasn't even gotten down to a $200 or $99 price point. Can you imagine in 2022 a $200 PS4 Pro with a bunch of $20 games that look like TLOU2 or God of War? It's a parent's dream for Christmas.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
TIL gamers aren't allowed to enjoy Demon's Souls, R&C, RE8, FFXVI, Deathloop and all the other next gen only games because a couple of the big games Sony announced are cross-gen.

I... never said that? How does me pointing out that Jim Ryan lied =/= "Gamers CANT ENJOY THESE GAMES SONY ANNOUNCED!" ?

Next time you quote me don't write bullshit if you aren't interested in a honest discussion.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, sounds good on a business and consumer stance. Nice approach. Even though messaging was wrong.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't they tell us Miles Morales was also going to be on PS4 when they announced it?

It's a weird lie of omission. Especially when everyone was confused about what the game was at first.

I don't mind the games being cross gen. Supporting their existing fans is great. One of my best friends wanted to play MM so badly but couldn't justify buying a PS5. Now he doesn't have to as he'll be able to play it on his PS4.

This shit happens every gen. They hide that games will be out on the previous gen as well. See: Titanfall for the Xbox One and 360.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Man. Jim Ryan threads really bring out the anger. I feel if Horizon 2 weren't there, Noone would really give two shits about this whole thing.

Keep in mind, it was the only launch window game listed as cross gen and it wasn't even shown today. They didn't say anything about games like GT7, Reternal, Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Destruction All Stars, Godfall.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Are people taking the piss in here or what lol? Just like the PS2 and PS3 were supported for years post new gen launch, the same will happen with PS4.

He's not saying everything from Worldwide Studios will be cross gen for 3-4 years.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
If you wanna believe that, sure, go ahead.
And no, not every PS gen has done this. Last time the only cross-gen stuff was LBP3, the MLB games and some indie sized games such as Resogun, Entwined, Helldivers and stuff.
You just gave an example of them doing this?

Playstation has always supported their last gen consoles years into the future because many countries that game on PS find the next gen to be unaffordable at launch prices. The way Sony did it before is they would just have big games released on the old console (like God of War 2 releasing on PS2 after PS3 launched).

Now the stuff that was in development for PS4 will also release on PS5. Also there will be plenty of exclusive PS5 games.

No one lied. Stop being dramatic...