• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All the talk about how the Dual Sense is essential to the new games and so they couldn't make the DS4 compatible with the PS5 sure is fun now.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
People are upset that other people will have access to games to. Too many whiny adults around here

Funny. I remember this same thing happening when microsoft announced they werent leaving the xbox one behind. But the whiny people in that case are the ones defending Sony now. Boggles the mind.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Are people taking the piss in here or what lol? Just like the PS2 and PS3 were supported for years post new gen launch, the same will happen with PS4.

He's not saying everything from Worldwide Studios will be cross gen for 3-4 years.

Don't talk sense. People need to justify their purchases like there's nothing else worth in life

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not disappointed that more people will get to play these games, I have my doubts many people are and it seems like a pretty disingenuous attempt to take a moral high ground on the issue to paint anyone disappointed in this news as horrible gatekeepers disappointed because people who can't afford next gen get to play these games.

I'll always want next gen systems to have genuinely next gen games though. Microsoft, Sony, whatever. It doesn't mean cross gen games are automatically bad. As pointed out BotW is one of the best games ever and came with little advantage beyond the Switch's form factor. My technical expectations of Nintendo titles have long been conditioned to be different, though. But yeah, going into next gen I'll always hope for experiences that come across as just not possible on older hardware without significant compromise. It'll be interesting to see how these cross gen versions turn out (it's awesome that they come with free upgrades for if/when people can pick up a PS5, particularly in today's climate).

I'm a bit disappointed that Horizon is a cross gen title, I had assumed it would push the hardware really hard, and maybe it will, but it's difficult not to see cross-gen news and be concerned about getting a game that mostly just looks like a current gen game (which a lot of those next gen/cross gen games do right now). I don't think it's so wrong of people to point out that this feels like something of a backflip on Sony's messaging, either. But more people getting to play something like Horizon Forbidden West is a silver lining to this news, for sure.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I would agree, but the "look" of a game doesn't really reveal much, because it is subjective. Most of the times it just comes down to not wanting to put a game on a weaker console even though the game wouldn't have much issue being scaled to that compute lower.

Sony was specifically antagonistic in their marketing, directly referencing Microsoft's messaging to highlight how they stand apart. It was very purposeful, which is why people are reacting the way they are. It comes off as hypocritical for no reason, and deceptive to market certain games as PS5 only, but then reveal they're also for the PS4 it fine print or tucked in accouncement blogs.

Is it Oochie Wally or is it One Mic?

Sadly, I can see this, especially since I remember fueling a ton on console warring on here. If anything MS was a lot more upfront with their "play anywhere" marketing.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I'm shocked... Who thought they were going to drop their 110+million customers as soon as the PS5 launched?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You just gave an example of them doing this?

Playstation has always supported their last gen consoles years into the future because many countries that game on PS find the next gen to be unaffordable at launch prices. The way Sony did it before is they would just have big games released on the old console (like God of War 2 releasing on PS2 after PS3 launched).

Now the stuff that was in development for PS4 will also release on PS5. Also there will be plenty of exclusive PS5 games.

No one lied. Stop being dramatic...
The PS3 > PS4 transition and a limited amount of games being cross-gen is in no way comparable to a game as big as Horizon 2 being cross-gen. Also, I'm not one of the people accusing Jim Ryan or anyone else from Sony of lying, you might wanna check who said what before you respond to someone.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the negative reactions. This seems like a common sense approach that is good for players and the company.

Oh I see it's about prominent games being cross gen. I still don't get it. Console architecture today is way more similar between generations than it was between previous generations. It makes sense to me.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Ok to the people in this thread freaking out, Sony also mentioned how committed they were to the PS3's "10 year life cycle" even after the PS4 was announced. That impacted some 3rd party games in year 1 but there stopped being games on both in year 2.

They're not going to say "lmao 100 million people can go fuck themselves we're pulling the plug on all PS4 consoles in November"

I was pretty surprised by the Horizon announcement as well, even a bit concerned about certain aspects of the game now, but some of you are really taking it too far. I doubt God of War Ragnarok is cross gen. Same with Ratchet and most likely GT7. Sony's communication has been bad today but they've already listed out cross gen games, I don't think this is an aspect to worry about.

Zebz08

May 31, 2020
No way GOW Raknarok is crossgen, otherwise they would have stated that as they just did for Horizon, as both are coming in 2021. Of course it's been in developmente since they finished the first one, but first party developers surely had access to ps5 specs for quite some time.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand the people who are mad in this thread. Did you really want them to just drop over a hundred million customers as soon as the PlayStation 5 launches?

How would that even be remotely Fair to the people who have PS4s??

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Im hoping this is just the typical Sony "10 year plan" stuff they say every time right before they drop the old box like a rock

At least... thats what I hope because fuck Jaguar

I don't understand the people who are mad in this thread. Did you really want them to just drop over a hundred million customers as soon as the PlayStation 5 launches?

How would that even be remotely Fair to the people who have PS4s??

Its fair because its Sony's job to sell us new hardware after 7 years of support on the last box. If you dont want to upgrade right away, fine don't theres PLENTY of PS4 games to keep you occupied. Was anyone complaining when Sony completely forgot about the PS3 in 2014????

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Are people taking the piss in here or what lol? Just like the PS2 and PS3 were supported for years post new gen launch, the same will happen with PS4.

He's not saying everything from Worldwide Studios will be cross gen for 3-4 years.
People know what it means, but we can't have console war without drama, so everyone's dramatizing it sadly. I doubt many actually think he means they'll support cross gen for that long.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I said it before with Xbox and I'll say it again now.

Peoples expectations for next gen were wildly out of control. We are going to get the same games we've always got at higher graphical setting, better framerates, better lighting, faster loading times and higher resolutions.

All this talk about the SSD being some game changer for games was mostly bullcrap. These features on the PS5 remote are more gimmick than gamer changer.

Finally there should be no issue with supporting PS4/Xbox games for the next 3-4 years. Most of these games are highly scalable anyways.

On the flipside basically due to this we should get a ton of great games in the first year or two instrad of the usually drought as developers familiarize themselves with the hardware.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
horizon being on the ps4 as well gives me a reason to wait on buying the ps5. i'll probably get miles morales on the ps4 as well since i'm not gonna be fighting the hordes for a ps5 this holiday or even early next year.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
With gorgeous looking stuff like Horizon 2 coming to current gen maybe this place can finally agree that games can scale their visuals without compromising the best version. Or else this place has one hell of a double standards problem.
Sadly people will never understand that on ERA. They're upset about games they've made up in their minds and how they "should" look.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
None of that has to do with Miles or Horizon.
They are still making games that can only be done on PS5 like Ratchet and Clank.

It doesn't contradict his previous statements.

I just opened up the PS5 reveal.

He talks about PS5 making a generational transition, and how the games he is showing off shows how PS5 has inspired developers to create new experiences that are transformative in how they look, sound, and feel. That, with the Sony believes in generations talk, and the lack of announcements on Miles Morales, Horizon, etc. for PS4 make his statements misleading as hell.

If you want to say they haven't misled anyone or lied, feel free I guess. But there's a reason people are genuinely confused and surprised about announcements like Horizon 2 being on PS4.

edit: and I'm not saying Jim is saying the games will be cross-gen for the next few years either. If anyone thinks that, please go back by hitting the arrows to the start of the conversation.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Or people didn't get his quote? Sony believes in generations as there will be PS5 PS6 PS7 etc. That didn't mean they were going to stop full PS4 support across the board as soon as PS5 released. Again his quote doesn't state first party will be split for the next few years. Only that PS4 in general will be supported.
Example

www.resetera.com

Techradar: Xbox Series X's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill

About the cross-gen approach of MS https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-series-xs-cross-gen-approach-is-robbing-players-of-the-next-gen-thrill

This was not a simple misunderstanding, it was crafted by Sony

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
This whole cross-gen thing for Sony makes their decision to block the DS4 make even less sense.
Again, this is what they've always done. Games that were in development for PS4 that are also coming to PS5 wont be focused on using the new controller. PS5 will have exclusives that aren't on PS4. Easy to put this together.

Funny. I remember this same thing happening when microsoft announced they werent leaving the xbox one behind. But the whiny people in that case are the ones defending Sony now. Boggles the mind.
It did happen, and I'm one of the people that called it out because it's silly to get mad over this stuff. You can check my post history in any Halo Infinite topic. The entitlement is pretty
The PS3 > PS4 transition and a limited amount of games being cross-gen is in no way comparable to a game as big as Horizon 2 being cross-gen. Also, I'm not one of the people accusing Jim Ryan or anyone else from Sony of lying, you might wanna check who said what before you respond to someone.
My last comment was speaking generally, but you replied to me addressing those saying he lied. Horizon 2 clearly started development on PS4. Development takes longer these days. Again, compare this to God of War 2 releasing on PS2 in 2007. This would be the same scenario, but now, there is a next gen version too.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait people are mad they're going to keep supporting the PS4?

This is why.

From a business standpoint (like with Microsoft) it makes sense, Sony is going to be taking a loss on the PS5 initally, combined with covid and economic uncertainty it makes sense to offer your games on a system that already has a massive install base.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

He directly gets asked about how Sony set expectations for the PS5 and how some launch window exclusives also coming to PS4 might subvert that marketing, and he says simply it's a good thing because it gives people choice, and it won't matter because these games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5's bells and whistles so it's immaterial that it's on the PS4 as well.

That's much more in line with Microsoft's messaging than how Sony was positioning their cross gen solutions before this interview.

May 12, 2020
The article doesn't say anything about cross-gen games for 3-4 years. People need to relax lol. PS1, PS2, PS3 were all supported for years.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I'm not mad at the cross-gen news except that knowing sooner would've meant that I would have kept my PS4 Pro.
Of course it makes sense to support PlayStation 4 for more time, it's sold over 100+ million units and we're in the midst of a global pandemic that has caused massive economic repercussions.

What I find absolutely ridiculous is why Jim Ryan didn't say all of this upfront when he began his PR approach for PS5.
- Why did Sony/Insomniac deny that there was even a chance that Spider-Man: Miles Morales would come to PS4?
- Why did they not announce Horizon: Forbidden West for both PS4 and PS5?
- Why pretend that the technical innovations of the PS5 meant that 8th-gen publishing was coming to an end with TLOU Part II and Ghost of Tsushima?

If you can't look at these issues and understand why this is a Public Relations failure, there's nothing else to be said.

Oct 27, 2017
Im hoping this is just the typical Sony "10 year plan" stuff they say every time right before they drop the old box like a rock

At least... thats what I hope because fuck Jaguar
Sounds like the updated version of this article.
bgr.com

Sony won't abandon the PlayStation 3 after the PlayStation 4 launches

Fear not PlayStation 3 owners, Sony has confirmed that it has no plans to abandon its current console when the PlayStation 4 launches this holiday …

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I personally thought cross-gen support was good for Xbox and I think it's good for PlayStation. I can keep my PS4 Pro and continue to play Sony exclusives without having to shell out $500+ for a new system I don't really need. Yeah yeah, the games "aren't reaching their potential" if they have to support PS4, but honestly who cares as long as the games are fun and entertaining.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well, I'm really happy now with all the MS transparency, it's not what we all wanted to hear, but at least it was always clear messaging

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'm not mad at the cross-gen news except that knowing sooner would've meant that I would have kept my PS4 Pro.
Of course it makes sense to support PlayStation 4 for more time, it's sold over 100+ million units.

What I find absolutely ridiculous is why Jim Ryan didn't say all of this upfront when he began his PR approach for PS5.
- Why did Sony/Insomniac deny that there was even a chance that Spider-Man: Miles Morales would come to PS4?
- Why did they not announce Horizon: Forbidden West for both PS5 and PS4?
- Why pretend that the innovations of the PS5 meant that cross-gen publishing on their end was coming to an end with TLOU Part II and Ghost of Tsushima?

If you can't look at these issues and understand why this is a Public Relations failure, there's nothing else to be said.
I say it goes beyond PR failure.

In concrete terms, he/Sony outright lied.

I don't know how it benefited them to lie for months on end, but I'm assuming they did it for some tangible reason.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
After reading the entire article, I think people are mostly just desperate to try to be angry about something. Continuing community support doesn't mean actively being a development focus. It does, however, include basics like big yearly third party stuff, global blockbusters, helping indies be compatible, keeping the servers on, etc etc etc.

Calm down y'all.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Lol nobody is mad about 3rd party support. They mad that the first 2 years of PlayStation 5 being cross gen when it was messaged otherwise

So like other generations. When they messaged about believing in generations I never though it would be a harsh cut between consoles. It has never been like that

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
That's fine, not everyone can afford a new console immediately so it's good that PS4 owners will still get games to play.

Should have been more upfront about it earlier tho.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Wait! Won't this hold next gen back!? I for one am outraged. Why isn't this thread at least 20 pages by now. Time to make a concern thread.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
You just gave an example of them doing this?

Playstation has always supported their last gen consoles years into the future because many countries that game on PS find the next gen to be unaffordable at launch prices. The way Sony did it before is they would just have big games released on the old console (like God of War 2 releasing on PS2 after PS3 launched).

Now the stuff that was in development for PS4 will also release on PS5. Also there will be plenty of exclusive PS5 games.

No one lied. Stop being dramatic...
Then why was Shadow Fall next gen only, or infamous? Clearly they were started during the PS3 era. Cause sony made a conscious effort to make these games that weren't going to be possible on the PS3 and give people that got a PS4 something for their shiny box.

It's the same thing now, there should be fine spectacle with the new boxes. We've been on these things for 7 years on tech that's even older than that. Sure third parties keep releasing on it, but the console manufacturers need to give some incentive

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Then why was Shadow Fall next gen only, or infamous? Clearly they were started during the PS3 era. Cause sony made a conscious effort to make these games that weren't going to be possible on the PS3 and give people that got a PS4 something for their shiny box.

It's the same thing now, there should be fine spectacle with the new boxes. We've been on these things for 7 years on tech that's even older than that. Sure third parties keep releasing on it, but the console manufacturers need to give some incentive
The same reason some of the PS5 games aren't on PS4. Sometimes it works out that way, sometimes it doesn't.

Isn't Demon Souls a PS5 exclusive?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I... never said that? How does me pointing out that Jim Ryan lied =/= "Gamers CANT ENJOY THESE GAMES SONY ANNOUNCED!" ?

Next time you quote me don't write bullshit if you aren't interested in a honest discussion.
Are you getting games you can only enjoy on PS5 or not? If so then how exactly did he lie?

Edit: Like, I'll admit I'm disappointed Horizon's cross-gen because I really wanted Guerrilla to go nuts with it but a lot of the reactions I'm reading in this thread come off like tantrums. Well, tantrums and fanboys not understanding the difference between "every game will be cross-gen" and "some games will be cross-gen."

Last edited: