Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
The older comedians want to have the right to make fun of anyone and everyone, pure and simple. They want to be able to punch down and not get taken to task for it. It's pure laziness as well as a clear lack of empathy. Fuck 'em. Learn to evolve.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Relevant bump

Julia Louis Dreyfus' response when asked about Seinfeld's comments on comedy and political correctness

julia-louis-dreyfuss-seinfeld-pc-culture-thumb-700x467-263155.jpg

y8efho04di5d1.jpeg

That's my veep!
I'm way too late on this, but I loved her answer.

It's like some of these old fossils just can't accept that things change. They don't want to change with the times.

As Julia said, go back in time by revisiting older stuff and you're guaranteed to find shit you won't find funny anymore.

The older comedians want to have the right to make fun of anyone and everyone, pure and simple. They want to be able to punch down and not get taken to task for it. It's pure laziness as well as a clear lack of empathy. Fuck 'em. Learn to evolve.

Also this!

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I started watching The Boys recently and there's a lot of comedy in that show, and people getting their heads exploded and mocking religion and tons of edgy stuff

May 7, 2020
Unbelievable that my Poptart movie is floundering. You're always having to walk on eggshells these days, not like the yonder times of 2007 when we released Bee Movie to unanimous acclaim and you were still allowed to be funny.

How come nobody finds anything funny anymore? Are you just so afraid to laugh at my Poptart movie because of the PC Gestapo?

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/variety/status/1846283727845937240?s=61&t=6oX5Gcr4eV1B1-6i599sIA
Jerry Seinfeld 'Regrets' Saying the 'Extreme Left' Killed Comedy: 'It's Not True ... You Can't Say Certain Words About Groups. So What?'

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Oh so it hit his pocketbook pretty hard then

THIS!!!

Fuck man Seinfeld was my favorite show for so long. I posted often here how much I loved it. It was already smeared after Kramer went racist but I could still watch it. I actually don't even think of the show anymore without his anti-woke turn. I'm not saying others can't still enjoy it I just have a very negative opinion of him now.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
The article literally says he's promoting a movie lol

Well, it says he made the comments while he was promoting Unfrosted. So maybe he thinks the comments could be linked to the movie's poor performance (the terrible reviews might've played a bigger role, though). It's nice to not hear Jerry complain about the wokes ruining comedy for once (though I'm sure it happens elsewhere in the interview).

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
"I said that the 'extreme left' has suppressed the art of comedy. I did say that. That's not true," Seinfeld said. "It's not true. If you're a champion skier, you can put the gates anywhere you want on the mountain and you're going to make the gate. That's comedy. Whatever the culture is, we make the gate. You don't make the gate, you're out of the game. The game is where is the gate and how do I make the gate to get down the hill."

"Does culture change and are their things that I use to say that [I can't because] people are always moving [the gate]? Yes, but that's the biggest and easiest target," Seinfeld added.
I've seen similar (correct) sentiments shared here in the past. Maybe he did get the memo. I doubt he's doing it because it "hurt his pocketbook" or whatever. He's a billionaire and they're egos are worth more than that.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you can't just take back what he said before and pretend it never happened. Especially since he has a history of being on the wrong side of this topic. I will say that the snippets of the interview from the Variety article complete with detailed analogy are pretty good so kudos to whichever PR person coached him to say that. If this were all he's ever said on the matter I'd give him a pat on the back but it looks like obvious damage control to cover up when he accidentally said how he really feels.

Seinfeld is one of my favourite shows but Jerry in real life is just incredible tiresome whenever he opens his mouth about almost anything.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Jerry is such a twat.

At least Julia has stayed winning this whole time (taken from the variety article, originally quoted in April when Jerry's bullshit came up the first time):
"There's a lot of talk about how comics can't be funny now," said Louis-Dreyfus. "I think that's bullshit. Physical comedy and intellectual comedy and political comedy, I think, has never been more interesting, because there's so much to do."

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I've seen similar (correct) sentiments shared here in the past. Maybe he did get the memo. I doubt he's doing it because it "hurt his pocketbook" or whatever. He's a billionaire and they're egos are worth more than that.

I think the woke comments, combined with the fact that he likes to date underage in the past, have both combined to finally move him into the "nah, we will do business with someone else" camp, especially given his recent box office bomb.

Billionaires always care about the lost potential of making even more money.

Edit: Forgot about the Zionism.

So yea, he's been going through the PR ringer recently.

Last edited:

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Jerry Seinfeld 'Regrets' Saying the 'Extreme Left' Killed Comedy: 'It's Not True ... You Can't Say Certain Words About Groups. So What?'

He added: But if those words include no longer being able to dehumanize Palestinians and defend their apartheid, my wife and I will donate money for goons to come assault you.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it says he made the comments while he was promoting Unfrosted. So maybe he thinks the comments could be linked to the movie's poor performance (the terrible reviews might've played a bigger role, though). It's nice to not hear Jerry complain about the wokes ruining comedy for once (though I'm sure it happens elsewhere in the interview).
i read it wrong then, my bad everyone\.

I read it as if he made the new comments while promoting the Netflix project.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
its strange because Seinfeld was never really that kind of comedian. It's not like he pushed boundaries hell Larry did way more of that over the course of Curb. Usually the kind of rhetoric he was spouting is used by hacky shock comedians like Tony Hinchcliff.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like Larry and Julia talked some sense into his ass lol.

Now apologize for your vile zionism.
Oh so it hit his pocketbook pretty hard then
Not only would he still remain exceptionally wealthy if he never made another cent starting today, he even could lose $5 million dollars a month until his last breath and still be one of the richest people in entertainment. I doubt his pocketbook influenced his backpedaling lol.
Did the Elephant Graveyard video ever get posted in this thread?

View: https://youtu.be/c6692U1AD54?si=Fw6RwH4weOS6nsOL

One of the best youtube videos I've ever seen.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Plainly and simply, fuck Jerry Seinfeld and all comedians who subscribe to this bullshit. I guess they can't be funny without punching down.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I don't understand the vitriol towards him sometimes. Jerry is by all means a traditional comedian. Limited, and arguably probably closer to a Joel Hodgson than a Jerry Lewis.

Part of me actually appreciates that he is able to kind of do what he finds enjoyable, than have a studio try and turn him into something he's not.

Like the post above, Seinfeld has also kept things pretty unremarkable by choice. It's still a little odd to hear him inject himself here.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the vitriol towards him sometimes. Jerry is by all means a traditional comedian. Limited, and arguably probably closer to a Joel Hodgson than a Jerry Lewis.

Part of me actually appreciates that he is able to kind of do what he finds enjoyable, than have a studio try and turn him into something he's not.

Like the post above, Seinfeld has also kept things pretty unremarkable by choice. It's still a little odd to hear him inject himself here.
era is weird about some shit is what I chalk it up to lol

jerry is a legend, made one of the best shows to ever exist, made lots of great shit since then, a well regarded comedian, etc.

It's weird because I listened to his episode of smartless (which was years before all of this) and he said the complete opposite there.
in a nutshell what's wrong with social media/things spreading, I'm sure he says a lot of shit in passing and then it gets shared. I've heard him say the same in other appearances/podcasts (Same as you I mean) and I've heard him sometimes express otherwise. All a nothing sandwich.

the vitriol is always weird, people love a pile on on the internet.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
He's a fucking piece of shit. He deserves all the vitriol he gets, even if he was involved in one of the best sitcoms ever.

A well deserved "pile on" tbh

Edit: his wife was involved in funding counter protestors who got violent towards the campus protestors against the genocide. And he's a regular supporter of the idf as they continue to terrorize civilians. Fuck him lol