Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, always sunny still exists.

I would say I'd be interested in what people would think of sunny if they released the first season today and should I say would a network support this today.

A poster mentioned it earlier, it's a such a shame money has been taken out of the comedy world. I miss the days of some really fucked up humour like Jam, or Brass Wye or the beautiful weirdness of Spaced and the absolute insanity of Father Ted (minus you know who). These kind of comedies literally don't exist in the uk anymore yet and it's really sad.

They would still 1000% work today there are the comedians to do this but needs to be a change because it's sad that it's all chat shows and panel shows these days.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Thing is network TV has rarely ever been known for drama, that was always cable's realm. But it was the opposite for comedy, network was the beacon of comedy for decades, where cable never really did too much. Now there just isn't much great comedy anywhere, but the dire situation on network is especially notable because it used to be so ripe.

ER, Homicide, and NYPD Blue walked so The Sopranos and The Wire could run.

Hell, if you want to know the precedence, Hill Street Blues established the brains, while Miami Vice established the look.

And the comedy that kinda established the post three camera world was Larry Sanders on HBO.

Anyways, my point is that nothing groundbreaking is happening on any network shows anymore. The average audience age for all networks is 50+ and getting older. Hell, The CW's average age was 58! That's right, the primary viewers of Riverdale and Supernatural were boomers.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I would say I'd be interested in what people would think of sunny if they released the first season today and should I say would a network support this today.
Most networks would probably see the writing on the wall that funding early 2000s offensive comedy would probably be a bad idea over…funding offensive comedy made with 2024 audiences in mind. People who see the n word or homophobia as the peak of comedy aren't the biggest audience anymore.and honestly thank god for that because so much comedy is gonna age far better than the "how can we be edgy?" Era of comedy. Hell later seasons of it's always sunny are a perfect example because the first season is undoubtedly the worst and it's still going strong today after steadily becoming more progressive in its messaging over time compared to something like South Park.

May 10, 2019
giphy.gif

Jerry, Sunny been doing it for years and still going.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I can just see all the extreme left marxists and anarchists that sit on, say, NBC's script approval committee, saying no to Jerry's latest script. There must be so many on that board. If there were, you'd see much edgier comedy; leftists tend to have pretty out there senses of humour in my experience. If he has a problem with anyone, it's with liberal capitalists who want anodyne content with the broadest possible market appeal.

Anyway, it's all rubbish, because there are plenty of comedies that are a hell of lot more boundary pushing than the ones in the 90s, and they do well. And they can do it without making jokes that solely rely on calling people gay or fat or whatever. He's clearly very out of touch and simply whining here.

People have been saying "PC is ruining comedy!" since the 80s and it was always bullshit from reactionary conservative assholes.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how much of Seinfeld was written by Larry David and not Seinfeld.
They had a great writers team for that show. Jerry did not do much on that show. He cashed in and got to promote his stand-up.

I watched the extra stuff on the DVDs back when those were released. I don't remember them mentioning Jerry once when it came to actual creativity.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he was the main actor. Lets not be reductive here, that alone is a shitload of work.
They had a great writers team for that show. Jerry did not do much on that show. He cashed in and got to promote his stand-up.

I watched the extra stuff on the DVDs back when those were released. I don't remember them mentioning Jerry once when it came to actual creativity.
I don't think either of these takes reflect the reality of how the show was created based on the substantial amount of information out there about the development process. Seinfeld was one of the heads of the writing team; he and Larry were the ones who chose who chose which stories were going to be made into episodes, and he's one of the ones who reviewed and edited the final script to make it on the air. If you're saying that it succeeded because of the writing team, you're giving a lot of weight to Jerry's role in that team.

By comparison, while he was the lead actor, he was acknowledged immediately to be a poor actor and so better actors were brought in, particularly Jason Alexander who was primarily a stage actor and wasn't planning to become a television star. Jerry's role was heavily diminished by the ensemble format, which put more emphasis on the other leads. Additionally, the actors who didn't have much involvement in the writing have noted that it was a pretty easy gig for them, since they'd just have to pop in for a few days to do their job while Jerry, Larry, and the other writers would be up all night working for the whole week.

Larry also left in the final seasons, which put Jerry in the role of showrunner.

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think either of these takes reflect the reality of how the show was created based on the substantial amount of information out there about the development process. Seinfeld was one of the heads of the writing team; he and Larry were the ones who chose who chose which stories were going to be made into episodes, and he's one of the ones who reviewed and edited the final script to make it on the air. If you're saying that it succeeded because of the writing team, you're giving a lot of weight to Jerry's role in that team.

By comparison, while he was the lead actor, he was acknowledged immediately to be a poor actor and so better actors were brought in, particularly Jason Alexander who was primarily a stage actor and wasn't planning to become a television star. Jerry's role was heavily diminished by the ensemble format, which put more emphasis on the other leads. Additionally, the actors who didn't have much involvement in the writing have noted that it was a pretty easy gig for them, since they'd just have to pop in for a few days to do their job while Jerry, Larry, and the other writers would be up all night working for the whole week.

Larry also left in the final seasons, which put Jerry in the role of showrunner.
I agree with you, I was just making a note that even if acting was all he did that still requires a heavy amount of commitment and effort. In this forum we have a tendency to invalidate work as soon as we dont like somebody

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
You know, one of the big generosities of time is how it rewards you with more and more reasons that make it easier never to have seen Seinfeld, and to not plan to.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It's always sunny is an interesting example. The other shows that team have done either flopped immediately or are much tamer comparatively speaking.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting that he's such a fucking idiot about this considering how Seinfeld aged remarkably well for the time it was made in. If I recall correctly, it is not nearly as homo/trans/queerphobic as, for instance, Friends.

Anyway, disappointing take Jerry. Most if not everything political correctness is really about is protecting minorities. No one in his or her right mind should have a problem with that.

You know, one of the big generosities of time is how it rewards you with more and more reasons that make it easier never to have seen Seinfeld, and to not plan to.

It's still great despite Jerry's involvement apparently. Though I will concede that it is a less and less appealing watch given how he's on screen for a lot of the time....

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
There comes a time in every white, male comedian's life where he has to start bitching about how you can't say anything these days and how the wokies are killing comedy. It's all part of the natural order of things.

Gemüsestäbchen

Otterly Amazing
Nov 1, 2017

Lol burn. 😅

You know I've started watching Seinfeld with my partner - as I was never into it in the 90s... And I'm finding it excruciating.
I'm not sure I find people acting like absolutely knob ends to each other and strangers particularly funny...
(Though I love Curb - I guess it doesn't have its nuance?)
Jerry is the worst of all trying to bookend the episodes with his lame stand-up - and the least interesting character in the ensemble

Recent episodes that bothered me - Elaine having a rivalry with a woman who was jealous of her shoes / George caught staring at a teenage girl's cleavage... And the end part with Jerry's stand-up doubling down on the bullshit that women love shoes - whilst men love titties. Please. 🙄
Or Elaine stuck on economy class on a flight, the way she treats staff at the airport/on the plane is absolutely repugnant!

(Anyway - We sort of ruined the show as we dipped into the Michael Richards meltdown controversy some point... The Comedy club video is intense and have some sort of PTSD as now we can't see Kramer with going 😬😬😬)

maqtunat

Sep 14, 2023
Mi'kma'ki Territory
Don't think you have anything to worry about with Julia. She was born rich and has been rich her whole life and somehow turned out nicer, more empathetic and more "normal" than two of her Seinfeld co-stars.

Right? Seems wild to me, I keep waiting for something bad to come out or she lets a true colour show, but damn. When she got the breast cancer diagnosis I was all bummed out, never cared much for other celebs.

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
Interesting that he's such a fucking idiot about this considering how Seinfeld aged remarkably well for the time it was made in. If I recall correctly, it is not nearly as homo/trans/queerphobic as, for instance, Friends.
That's the frustrating thing about it. The show's legacy was somehow surviving the decades even though certain things are curdling like Kramer in general, or the "cleavage-poke" speech, and people are not forgetting Jerry dating a 17-year old, and the Laugh Factory incident...

I guess the writing room was cooler than the guy the show was based on. Carol Leifer, Larry Charles, Larry David, Spike Ferestein, et al are legends in their own right.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
As many gifs and Rob himself even pointed out - IASIP existing proves Seinfeld is just another old out of touch rich white dude these days.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
As many gifs and Rob himself even pointed out - IASIP existing proves Seinfeld is just another old out of touch rich white dude these days.
That's a 20 year old show at this point. If you read the, admittedly long, interview you can see that shows like IASiP, South Park, Family Guy, etc just prove his point.

People don't want to read tho lol

CalmYeti

Oct 27, 2017
As a queer person, I'm kind of glad we live in an era where "not that there's anything wrong with that" might not make it air. That joke never felt like it was truly at the expense of Jerry and the gang's ignorance but rather a childish way to still say "gay men displaying physical affection with each other? ~eeeew!"

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It's Always Sunny is not a good example of comedy not changing, I don't know why people keep bringing it up.

Rewatch Season 1, folks. It's completely different.

And those banned episodes wouldn't be unbanned today.

He's right that comedy is different, but that doesn't mean bad, you just need actually funny people writing actually funny lines.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Lol burn. 😅

You know I've started watching Seinfeld with my partner - as I was never into it in the 90s... And I'm finding it excruciating.
I'm not sure I find people acting like absolutely knob ends to each other and strangers particularly funny...
(Though I love Curb - I guess it doesn't have its nuance?)
Jerry is the worst of all trying to bookend the episodes with his lame stand-up - and the least interesting character in the ensemble

Recent episodes that bothered me - Elaine having a rivalry with a woman who was jealous of her shoes / George caught staring at a teenage girl's cleavage... And the end part with Jerry's stand-up doubling down on the bullshit that women love shoes - whilst men love titties. Please. 🙄
Or Elaine stuck on economy class on a flight, the way she treats staff at the airport/on the plane is absolutely repugnant!

(Anyway - We sort of ruined the show as we dipped into the Michael Richards meltdown controversy some point... The Comedy club video is intense and have some sort of PTSD as now we can't see Kramer with going 😬😬😬)

That's sort of the point. The characters are assholes too and you're not supposed to always support them.

And yeah, some parts of it haven't aged well, but no sitcom has. Not even Family Ties. Seinfeld holds up because the show recognizes the four main characters are idiots a lot of the time.

I won't spoil the series finale, but it makes that point clearly.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

Lmao.

Also, this proves that it was Larry David behind some of the best ideas in Seinfeld.

Jerry probably sees the homeless rickshaw joke as crueler than what it really is. He didn't get why his own show is as timeless as it is because he didn't write a lot of it most of the time or is as self-depricating as David is.

And yeah, a lot of jokes wouldn't be able to be written exactly the same, but that doesn't mean you can't joke about the same topics today.

Jerry is just lazy with his writing.

plagiarize

Khive rise up
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Jerry probably sees the homeless rickshaw joke as crueler than what it really is. He didn't get why his own show is as timeless as it is because he didn't write a lot of it most of the time or is as self-depricating as David is.

And yeah, a lot of jokes wouldn't be able to be written exactly the same, but that doesn't mean you can't joke about the same topics today.

Jerry is just lazy with his writing.
And that's the key thing really.

This thesis only works if it's impossible to write sitcoms without offensive jokes, which it isn't.

Basically because HE can't think of how to make a show without jokes that wouldn't fly today, he thinks PC stuff is 'killing comedy'. It's tiresome.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Listen Jerry, I love Seinfeld to death, in my Top 3 shows probably, but... don't dude. Just shut the fuck up.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
He could have just shut the fuck up and enjoyed his money. I honestly thought all this time that's what he was doing since he hasn't really made anything notable since the show ended over 25 years ago. If he was actually trying, that makes it pretty clear that Larry was the brains of the operation since apparently he hasn't run into problem. Julia Louis-Dreyfus has no problem being funny either. Even his rant isn't original. Not only you hear this from every has-been hack comedian, but like every conservative ever.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I remember Jerry was on Colbert after the Cosby shit went down, and he didn't seem to grasp why people were thrown for a loop about "America's dad" being such a fucking creep. Colbert is there trying to explain "people had an image of this dude that afforded him a certain level of trust that makes this more messed up." Specifically in a "separate art from the artist" kind of thing, and looking back on Cosby's comedy. Jerry then proceeds to say to the audience "Oh come on, whaaat? It's material!" Colbert is then like "uh... okay" and moves on.

Cut to commercial, then the show comes back.

Jerry is still sitting on the couch and then has to try and walk it back like "hm... yeah it sure seems... uh, bad." I just wanna know who talked to him during that break, Colbert or his manager?
I remember watching the recent George Carlin documentary, in which several comedians talked about him, and I remember how... shallow Seinfeld was. He was critical and dismissive of the idea that comedy could have a social effect, for him everything was about the technique of comedy and the ideas you transmitted to the audience were irrelevant.

Feb 16, 2022
I remember Jerry was on Colbert after the Cosby shit went down, and he didn't seem to grasp why people were thrown for a loop about "America's dad" being such a fucking creep. Colbert is there trying to explain "people had an image of this dude that afforded him a certain level of trust that makes this more messed up." Specifically in a "separate art from the artist" kind of thing, and looking back on Cosby's comedy. Jerry then proceeds to say to the audience "Oh come on, whaaat? It's material!" Colbert is then like "uh... okay" and moves on.

Cut to commercial, then the show comes back.

Jerry is still sitting on the couch and then has to try and walk it back like "hm... yeah it sure seems... uh, bad." I just wanna know who talked to him during that break, Colbert or his manager?
He's basically that privileged white friend in a group full of PoCs saying shit like "I don't talk politics and I try not to judge" or some shit. But won't stop saying off color shit and the other friends got tired of explaining why it's not okay.

At least he lightly pushed back when Chris Rock was letting CK and Gervais say the n-word, I'll give him that.

Oct 26, 2017
If he didn't use the words extreme left and pc this thread would have like 23 posts saying he's right.
These are my favorite takes in this thread. "If he didn't explicitly say how shitty he is, you guys wouldn't think he was shitty!"

It's like Ye all over again. How much more explicit does he have to be until the defense team gives up the ghost and stands down?

TableManners

Jan 9, 2024
Fuck him. His car driving series was just him and some other rich asshole laughing at the poor so this is no surprise.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
It's Always Sunny is not a good example of comedy not changing, I don't know why people keep bringing it up.

Rewatch Season 1, folks. It's completely different.

And those banned episodes wouldn't be unbanned today.

He's right that comedy is different, but that doesn't mean bad, you just need actually funny people writing actually funny lines.
Always Sunny is a great example. Some of the shit they are doing is borderline offensive, but they have continued because they have the respect and backing of their fans and folks who would have been their harshest critics. They consistently nail the landing.

Season 1 is a poor example, because many shows are like this. They strike a cord, then tweak the formula to reach a broader audience and greater success. It's no different than Seinfeld itself in that retrospect.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
He mentions shows being grandfathered in...and that's all well and good, but Seinfeld himself is as grandfathered in as it gets. If he put some effort and passion into a project that pushed some boundaries, he could absolutely get it made today, no question. Instead he does the Pop Tart movie and whines like one of the countless old, lazy, rich hacks that are clinging to relevance by appealing to the dickhead crowd. He doesn't know what would and wouldn't be allowed because he can't be bothered actually fighting for it.
Would love to see just how awful his 'boundary pushing' stand up special would be.