Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's like I said. They still haven't actually showed off the game yet. They lose nothing if their first gameplay reveal comes with another new title.
They did show that nonsense teaser for the Dragon Age day under the new name, but sure. It's just bizarre tho. This'll be the third name for this game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They did show that nonsense teaser for the Dragon Age day under the new name, but sure. It's just bizarre tho. This'll be the third name for this game.

Right, but like I said, until gameplay is shown, it doesn't really matter. We don't know ANYTHING about the game - characters, story, etc. So who cares about the title?

Once they actually start marketing A GAME and not 'the next dragon age' it'll all click together well.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
I don't remember Bioware/EA every officially calling the game 'Dragon Age 4'. There were actually speculation of the game being called only 'Dragon Age', before the reported shift to SP, if I recall.

I do think it's a bit weird that they changed the name, but as PlanetSmasher said, the actually never shown anything substantial in-game with the Dreadwolf name. Even last year's teaser was only about locations.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Right, but like I said, until gameplay is shown, it doesn't really matter. We don't know ANYTHING about the game - characters, story, etc. So who cares about the title?

Once they actually start marketing A GAME and not 'the next dragon age' it'll all click together well.
True. Like I said, i just find it weird is all.

Hopefully it's not a sign of them being unfocused in terms of what they want the game to be.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
True. Like I said, i just find it weird is all.

Hopefully it's not a sign of them being unfocused in terms of what they want the game to be.

Yeah. I genuinely think it's just as simple as finding a better title that has a better chance at being SEO viable. The abbreviation "DAD" is just not really good for google searching, nor is "DAD game".

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
EA just hasn't been smart about this. It should've been a no-brainer years ago for there to be, at the very least, a Dragon Age remaster, especially with the decage gap between games. It'd be a lower investment that would've paid for itself fairly quickly and build momentum for the next release. Capcom got this right with Resident Evil, and they may remake the entire series up to 5 at this point.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
EA just hasn't been smart about this. It should've been a no-brainer years ago for there to be, at the very least, a Dragon Age remaster, especially with the decage gap between games. It'd be a lower investment that would've paid for itself fairly quickly and build momentum for the next release. Capcom got this right with Resident Evil, and they may remake the entire series up to 5 at this point.

I don't think a remaster, especially for Origins, would be enough or feasible considering the engine they used for the game, to be honest. But a remake also bring forth many issues in the direction they'd want to go with that.

The main issue is, most likely, that they didn't think 10 years would pass since Inquisition and the fourth game.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever officially call it Dreadwolf?
IQV68or.png

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Legit question: Did they ever officially call it Dreadwolf? Or was that just their hashtag of #DreadwolfRises?

Buy Dragon Age™: The Veilguard | Xbox

Unite the Veilguard and defy the gods in Dragon Age™: The Veilguard, an immersive single player RPG where you become the leader others believe in.

Dragon Age™: The Veilguard

Unite the Veilguard and defy the gods.
store.steampowered.com

Dragon Age™: The Veilguard on Steam

Rally the Veilguard and defy the gods in Dragon Age™: The Veilguard, an immersive single-player RPG where you become the leader others believe in.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
i am so unbelievably sick of "industry insiders" trying to be funny and coy about their 'leaks.' just admit you're trying to get as much engagement as possible and go

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age: Veilfall - "This fall, we veilfall" -insert CSI:Miami Yeaaaaaah music here-

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
it probably makes more sense for EA to let someone buy marketing rights to whatever game and let the games get shown as they're ready than to try to herd cats at some arbitrary summer date despite differences in development progress for a bunch of games

Feb 18, 2022
Inquisitions ending was very clear but damn them for using a squad mate as the villain, Solas was better than my other mage. With dreadwolf's campaign I specifically want to see less shard finding, less back tracking etc. other things like multiplayer, and open world traverse I believe will be addressed. Inquisition quite frankly is very playable today.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Marketing so far to me is setting this up as either the mid point or beginning of a plot line. I don't see Solas as one and done. Unless this is just a ridiculously long game.
I would really hope Bioware would know better than to make us wait a decade to follow up the cliffhanger from the last game only to make it the first time in the series where the game's core plot isn't resolved by the end of it. I think there is no possible way we aren't dealing with that problem in this game.

Oct 27, 2017
I never really cared for the Dreadwolf name, but then again I never really cared for Solas, so having basically a game named after him seemed a bit presumptuous.

That said, if they just name it "Dragon Age," that's like the laziest, EA focus grouped to death style rebranding I can think of. But its kind of part and parcel for how EA/BioWare has been all over the place with naming in this franchise- like I'm pretty sure for a big part of it's development, Origins was just "Dragon Age," then obviously DA2 was DA: Exodus and even Inquisition was Dragon Age III: Inquisition. Just pick some nomenclature like Elder Scrolls or something- Dragon Age (Insert Roman Numeral Here): (Insert Location or Significant Character or Theme Whatever other Subtitle you want).

Super curious to see what this game looks like but if the leaks were any indication last year, I'm pretty sure I'll be super disappointed in the gameplay and given the turnover in BioWare, who knows if the story/characters will be worthwhile at this point.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing so far to me is setting this up as either the mid point or beginning of a plot line. I don't see Solas as one and done. Unless this is just a ridiculously long game.
That's not the vibe I get from the stuff we know so far at all. If anything, this game feels like a bigger "end of the world" event than any previous Dragon Age game.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
That's not the vibe I get from the stuff we know so far at all. If anything, this game feels like a bigger "end of the world" event than any previous Dragon Age game.

But the world was already ending in at least 2 of the previous 3 (I can't remember 2 at all really) so how could it be even more so?

That's the problem with always doing end of the world stuff constantly, how do you up the stakes when the stakes has always been the world.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
They can't afford to end on another 10-year long cliffhanger.

Game development takes too long nowadays, especially if that new Mass Effect is still happening.