• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
Always thought this could be the schedule for the game but let's see if Covid doesn't change it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Means no halo this year imho.

Also seeing as how gears 5 send to wrapping up it's seasons content, I expect gears 6 reveal

Mass Effect launched 2 months after Halo 3.

Rise of the Tomb Raider launched 2 weeks after Halo 5.

All were exclusive to Xbox at the time. It'll be the same here, just including Xbox One for Halo Infinite but not for Starfield.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Hard to believe this
I think they will keep the smaller games (doom and other things) exclusive to xbox and this bigger games multi
They would leave a shit ton of money in the table if they keep starfield and elder scrolls exclusive (well, if they want to lose money yeah go ahead with it)
And who said anything about tlou? Why make this a console war? I have both next gen consoles
Im just poiting out that they would make more money, thats it

I'm surprised people are still spouting this uninformed "more money" theory.

The money Microsoft will make on their 70% cut from one-time PS5 software purchases is absolute chump change compared to the revenue they will make from a user purchasing Xbox Game Pass instead, from a subscription standpoint and doubly-so when the member sees how amazing XGP is and decides to play more games, become a member of the ecosystem and purchase DLC/microtransactions/discounted games. Maybe even a Series X|S console, Windows PC and even gaming accessories. Like pennies in your pocket chump change.

I'd argue they'd actually lose money by losing a potential XGP subscription. This isn't the 100+m PS4 userbase here, it's a fresh new gen; but even if this were a last gen game I'd wager they'd still make much more money playing the long game using Sunk Cost Fallacy and such.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Hard to believe this
I think they will keep the smaller games (doom and other things) exclusive to xbox and this bigger games multi
They would leave a shit ton of money in the table if they keep starfield and elder scrolls exclusive (well, if they want to lose money yeah go ahead with it)

" Unless announced differently by Microsoft moving forward all Bethesda games should be expected to be Xbox/PC exclusive. Any attempts to argue this and derail a thread will be actioned as port begging moving forward. 2021-03-17 1100 EST/1500 GMT"

Take this shit somewhere else.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to believe this
Don't they already "lose a shit ton of money" by not putting Halo or Forza or Gears on Playstation? C'mon man. Now, with the acquisition, this is no different.
They'll be fine if they keep their first party games exclusive, lol.

No derailing about Bethesda Xbox/PC exclusivity
OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Let me make this a threadmark too.

OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION

"Unless announced differently by Microsoft moving forward all Bethesda games should be expected to be Xbox/PC exclusive. Any attempts to argue this and derail a thread will be actioned as port begging moving forward."

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I'm playing through Fallout 4 for the first time. I was apprehensive to start since hearing so much negativity towards it, but after about 10 hours in, I'm enjoying it a lot (especially since enabling the 60 fps boost). Why is it looked on so badly?
I think it was expectations, mostly.

If you removed the name "Fallout" from it, I think people would have thought a lot more highly of it.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I seem to share the same sentiment as most people critical of it so for me personally it's the way too simplified dialogue options combined with the way too specific, fully voiced player character. Part of the beauty of Skyrim to me was despite being the "Dragonborn" that was still abstract enough to allow the player to build out their character the way they wanted to while having it not interfere too much with the overall world.

Also this is probably a more annoying aspect for me, not sure about everyone else, but I HATED the base building and settlement aspect. Too many times the main quest seemed to require you to build a specific thing or defend similar settlements which really hurt the open ended nature of these games.
They fixed the dialogue in Fallout 76 and the base building is also less overwhelming/annoying in 76 than it was in FO4, so they're clearly listening to the players' feedback.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Let us hope that is right. I also hope more games do this moving forward. Announce when they are ready a launch a few months later. When they did that with Fallout 4 I was so hype.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Assuming it is just Xbox/PC like we expect, I would think having only 2 versions to focus on instead of 3 would help get the game out the door sooner, so 2021 is definitely possible. But maybe that's my naivete about game development.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still hashtag Team 2.22.22, which is a thing I made up.

I don't doubt that a November release was the original plan, however.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
I thought there were rumors that the next Forza Motorsport was essentially going to exist as a 'platform' going forward that continually gets updated as opposed to bi-annual releases. So in that sense, I don't think it really matters if it's released within 6 months or so from the release of FH5 (say, if FH5 is September/October, and FM is maybe March/April 2022).

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Or unless there are (legal) agreements in place, which is a total unknown here but seems *more likely with a 2021 release IMO.

(*I should qualify this by saying if Starfield was 2022+, I'd put the odds of a playstation release at near 0%. A 2021 release seems to me to make it slightly more likely - lets says 5%)

EDIT: Whatever, I don't think anyone knows 100% one way or the other and I don't want to derail the thread further. Heres hoping its revealed soon and releasing 2021!
Microsoft prob just cancelled the ps5 version which wouldn't be hard to do since they own everything.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'd like to believe it, but I still fully expect next year at the earliest.

Either way, hopefully my PC should be ready for it.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
The fact that they didn't with other titles gives me some doubts on that.
What other titles? They can't cancel Deathloop and Tokyo--there are exclusivity contracts with Sony. They said they'll support existing legacy games, too. Starfield is neither. It was never actually announced for Playstation.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they didn't with other titles gives me some doubts on that.

Other titles had already been announced for multiple platforms, or had timed exclusive contracts. In Psychonauts 2's case it started as a KS for multiple platforms. Bethesda never announced platforms for Starfield.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm equally baffled about where he's getting this information and I can't imagine it's some sanctioned official Xbox PR.
He has infos for Nintendo and Sony, too. Whoever his insiders are, it's not just one that's for sure.
Now that MS owns it, the loading screens better be the windows star field screensaver
haha 😂
I can't wait to see bethesdas next game. I really hope they've moved away from the creation engine or at least modified it so heavily that it no longer looks like something from 15 years ago. If I see those same singular body type, wooden animations and awkward conversation close ups, I don't think even a sci fi premise could save it for me.
The creation engine seems to be good for the games they are making with lots of world interaction and Obsidian years ago praised how fast you can create content with it iirc. It's not always about what we as consumers get to see. Then there is mod support...
no way will MS release two Forza games in one year.
Yes, my prediction would be. Forza Horizon 5 this year. Forza Motorsport reboot next year holiday with early access in 2022 around summer.
I wonder if Microsoft would ever consider consolidating the Motorsport/Horizon brands, and just having a single product with yearly map updates. Launch the game with remastered versions of all four Horizon maps, plus the new content of the next Forza Motorsport.
Sounds like a awful idea, because sim racers and those FH fans are two completely different target audiences. The last games like pCars 3 that tried to be the one size fits all game failed horribly in sales.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they're aiming for November then we can expect it next spring

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Ignoring Mod Post
Other titles had already been announced for multiple platforms, or had timed exclusive contracts. In Psychonauts 2's case it started as a KS for multiple platforms. Bethesda never announced platforms for Starfield.

That's fine and all, I still have doubts that they would simply scrap it if work did progress up until this month, especially if it's releasing this year.

It's not like I would be surprised if they did scrap it, but for now, just doubt they would.. MS is the final say either way though.

Jul 10, 2020
Still from a Kickstarter that backed a ps4 version. Notice how there's no ps5 version but there is a series x version.

People are WILLINGLY forgetting that Psychonauts 2 was a indie kickstarter revealed at VGA many years ago, and have to legally deliver that promised PS4 version.

Shit, when it was announced, I don't think DF even mentioned an Xbox version if my memory serves.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Find it weird why people think Forza Horizon 5 will release this year when they already teased the next Motorsport first and the fact Playground games are busy with Fable.

But especially because if Horizon 5 was a 2021 game why didn't they show it off last year?

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I've always had a hunch that 2021 was the target year, but it could be pushed to 2022.

Either way, exciting that we might get to see some more Starfield stuff soon.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Find it weird why people think Forza Horizon 5 will release this year when they already teased the next Motorsport first and the fact Playground games are busy with Fable.

But especially because if Horizon 5 was a 2021 game why didn't they show it off last year?
Playground has two teams.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Still from a Kickstarter that backed a ps4 version. Notice how there's no ps5 version but there is a series x version.

Yeah, that makes sense that they wouldn't go out of their way and make a completely different port to PS5 which would require it's own separate port and for them to get new devkits; it is indeed a different situation in that regard since Bethesda would already have those devkits and work done.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020

Playground has two separate teams.

Horizon 4 was announced in June and released in October. There was also a 2 year cadence between FH1 -> FH 2 -> FH 3 -> FH4. FH5 is overdue. So it's believable to me since this will be 3 years.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine and all, I still have doubts that they would simply scrap it if work did progress up until this month, especially if it's releasing this year.

It's not like I would be surprised if they did scrap it, but for now, just doubt they would.. MS is the final say either way though.

If they did scrap it then that frees up resources to focus on the Xbox and PC releases and post-launch content and maintenance.

We'll see and I won't be surprised either way given its proximity to the acquisition.