Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
PSNow versus Game Pass? LOL, no. Sony's behind on the service model, which is where gaming is headed, as evidenced by Sony finally planning to bolster its anemic PSNow.
-
But it's too late. Remember when Spotify was far behind iTunes? Not Apple as a whole, but iTunes specifically? Apple finally had to offer Apple Music as a streaming service to catch up. That was Spotify. Microsoft is bigger, already established in games, and moving first by a long way.
-
Sony is only now cobbling together a defense against Game Pass, while Microsoft has made it a fundamental part of its gaming DNA. It likely has deals lined up for a year or more based on what's coming out. Add to that the fact Microsoft is about to deliver first party games on a scale never seen before by a platform holder, and they're all going to Game Pass day and date. They'll have more exclusives with higher metacritic scores simply by having multiple first party games and at least one tent pole release per quarter (and maybe more—judging by Forza and Halo).
-
It's blindness not to see that Sony is going to get creamed—like might not be in gaming anymore in ten years creamed. I suspect part of the reason we don't get more acquisition announcements from Microsoft is specifically because Microsoft wants to strengthen its lead in tomorrow's gaming market.
-
A COVID year is stretching to a COVID three years. If Sony could put out consoles at a rate to keep up with demand, they could strengthen their total console sales into an unstoppable lead, but they can't. Microsoft is also supply constrained, but—and stay with me here—their platform isn't. That means Xbox can continue growing even with console supply constraints. You can stream Xbox Series X|S exclusives to the Xbox One, to phones, to tablets, to Mac, and to PC.
-
Add to that the fact that Sony first party exclusives have become unacceptably expensive in many parts of the world, where Xbox first party is available as a service in parts of the world where services aren't taxed the way digital sales are taxed, and the rate for the service is low compared to expensive sales. Do you not see it?
-
Imagine this, then. Sushi restaurant A is the unequivocally best sushi restaurant in town. It offers some dishes and fishes you can't find anywhere else. It's delectable, but now it costs six times as much as…
-
Sushi restaurant B. Sushi restaurant B doesn't have the absolute top epicurean foodie masterpieces (yet), but they offer really great food at a great price. It's such a low price that diners who hadn't before considered sushi are now interested in trying it. "What the hell? It's only $1 to try." Now there are more people eating sushi, and more of them are eating it at sushi restaurant B. Even fans of sushi restaurant A are trying restaurant B—after all, they've all got high end gaming sushi plates, and for only the one low price, sushi restaurant B will gladly fill that plate.
-
Maybe you still have your big dates—birthdays, anniversaries, apology dinners—at sushi restaurant A, but more and more often, you're eating at sushi restaurant B.

A big post centered around a fantasy. The numbers don't agree with you. The projected numbers don't agree with you. This is reading just like those "mobile gaming is going to end consoles!" narrative.

Sony and Nintendo will absolutely be fine in ten years without a proper GamePass alternative. They will still be the most popular brands in gaming -- and no, it likely will not be close. Especially not with China's increasing gaming market and Sony's focus in the region.

Sony can't keep up with the demand yet already is breaking all their previous records -- the same company that launched the PS2 lol. Every earnings quarter, their numbers break industry records. Sony's market is growing regardless of Covid. The numbers show as much. More people are playing games and spending money on the PlayStation platform than any other point in history -- across ANY console EVER.

In 10 years, whatever the biggest brand in China is will be the ones running the industry. Everything else doesn't matter.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
PSNow versus Game Pass? LOL, no. Sony's behind on the service model, which is where gaming is headed, as evidenced by Sony finally planning to bolster its anemic PSNow.
-
But it's too late. Remember when Spotify was far behind iTunes? Not Apple as a whole, but iTunes specifically? Apple finally had to offer Apple Music as a streaming service to catch up. That was Spotify. Microsoft is bigger, already established in games, and moving first by a long way.
-
Sony is only now cobbling together a defense against Game Pass, while Microsoft has made it a fundamental part of its gaming DNA. It likely has deals lined up for a year or more based on what's coming out. Add to that the fact Microsoft is about to deliver first party games on a scale never seen before by a platform holder, and they're all going to Game Pass day and date. They'll have more exclusives with higher metacritic scores simply by having multiple first party games and at least one tent pole release per quarter (and maybe more—judging by Forza and Halo).
-
It's blindness not to see that Sony is going to get creamed—like might not be in gaming anymore in ten years creamed. I suspect part of the reason we don't get more acquisition announcements from Microsoft is specifically because Microsoft wants to strengthen its lead in tomorrow's gaming market.
-
A COVID year is stretching to a COVID three years. If Sony could put out consoles at a rate to keep up with demand, they could strengthen their total console sales into an unstoppable lead, but they can't. Microsoft is also supply constrained, but—and stay with me here—their platform isn't. That means Xbox can continue growing even with console supply constraints. You can stream Xbox Series X|S exclusives to the Xbox One, to phones, to tablets, to Mac, and to PC.
-
Add to that the fact that Sony first party exclusives have become unacceptably expensive in many parts of the world, where Xbox first party is available as a service in parts of the world where services aren't taxed the way digital sales are taxed, and the rate for the service is low compared to expensive sales. Do you not see it?
-
Imagine this, then. Sushi restaurant A is the unequivocally best sushi restaurant in town. It offers some dishes and fishes you can't find anywhere else. It's delectable, but now it costs six times as much as…
-
Sushi restaurant B. Sushi restaurant B doesn't have the absolute top epicurean foodie masterpieces (yet), but they offer really great food at a great price. It's such a low price that diners who hadn't before considered sushi are now interested in trying it. "What the hell? It's only $1 to try." Now there are more people eating sushi, and more of them are eating it at sushi restaurant B. Even fans of sushi restaurant A are trying restaurant B—after all, they've all got high end gaming sushi plates, and for only the one low price, sushi restaurant B will gladly fill that plate.
-
Maybe you still have your big dates—birthdays, anniversaries, apology dinners—at sushi restaurant A, but more and more often, you're eating at sushi restaurant B.

Is everything you post served with a heaping side of console wars?
Hurts my fucking eyes just reading it cause they keep rolling up into my head.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I'm sorry, I can't take this post seriously. Is this some type of parody of a post I missed in the past, like the old FFXIII template?

Det

Jul 30, 2020

I'm sorry, I can't take this post seriously. Is this some type of parody of a post I missed in the past, like the old FFXIII template?

My dude, I think you've gone off the deep end.

I think they are genuinely serious, but it teeters so close to reading like a copypasta.

Oct 20, 2021
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I dont know how much you know about sushi culture ( Im an expert ) but tuna and pink salmon are a huge part of it.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
I think the scope of this will be rather small.

Each month they will add a few permanent games to the new "PS Plus umbrella" services and a few games that will eventually expire. If you already have ps now and ps plus, it will be like nothing changed.

Dec 14, 2017
A big post centered around a fantasy. The numbers don't agree with you. The projected numbers don't agree with you. This is reading just like those "mobile gaming is going to end consoles!" narrative.

Sony and Nintendo will absolutely be fine in ten years without a proper GamePass alternative. They will still be the most popular brands in gaming -- and no, it likely will not be close. Especially not with China's increasing gaming market and Sony's focus in the region.

Sony can't keep up with the demand yet already is breaking all their previous records -- the same company that launched the PS2 lol. Every earnings quarter, their numbers break industry records. Sony's market is growing regardless of Covid. The numbers show as much. More people are playing games and spending money on the PlayStation platform than any other point in history -- across ANY console EVER.

In 10 years, whatever the biggest brand in China is will be the ones running the industry. Everything else doesn't matter.
Assuming China doesn't further limit gaming, which as an authoritarian country, it could do in a heartbeat.
-
The rest of your prediction is an assertion basically based on "it will be the same tomorrow as it is today." You haven't offered a rationale that supports the premise that extends beyond the aforementioned "tomorrow will be today with better graphics."

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I have my doubts that this will allow games to be downloaded — let alone able to be purchased. I hope I'm wrong though.

I think that's needed to legitimately compete with Game Pass itself, not even taking into account day one games (which we know isn't happening). Otherwise, this seems like a re-branding of PSNow to highlight it so people are aware it exists.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I have my doubts that this will allow games to be downloaded — let alone able to be purchased. I hope I'm wrong though.

I think that's needed to legitimately compete with Game Pass itself, not even taking into account day one games (which we know isn't happening). Otherwise, this seems like a re-branding of PSNow to highlight it so people are aware it exists.

Do you mean the BC games for the ps1 and ps2? Because ps now lets you download ps4 games. If you're talking about the former, yeah I agree, I would love to get downloadable versions but I'm thinking it will be more like Nintendo's service on the Switch.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Assuming China doesn't further limit gaming, which as an authoritarian country, it could do in a heartbeat.
-
The rest of your prediction is an assertion basically based on "it will be the same tomorrow as it is today." You haven't offered a rationale that supports the premise that extends beyond the aforementioned "tomorrow will be today with better graphics."

The rationale is the numbers lol.

Mar 9, 2019
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Ayyyyyy LMFAO

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean the BC games for the ps1 and ps2? Because ps now lets you download ps4 games. If you're talking about the former, yeah I agree, I would love to get downloadable versions but I'm thinking it will be more like Nintendo's service on the Switch.

Yeah. I mean PS1 and PS2 (and PSP) at least.

PS3 I doubt in any case but that would be even better.

Dec 14, 2017
It's not console wars for the sake of console wars. I simply think Xbox will win this in the long run, and it won't be close.
-
I was rabidly anti-Xbox last gen. I left my Xbox360 behind in 2010 when I got my PS3. I was PS4 only for most of last gen. I bought and loved my Vita. I didn't get an Xbox One until 2019. I've never played Gears, haven't played Halo since Halo 2 (really), and Forza Horizon one was the last Horizon I played except for dabbling (less than an hour) in FH4 until FH5.
-
All my excitement about Xbox has come from 2019 and 2020. Wanna know why I got an Xbox One X? I wanted to play Mass Effect 2 and 3 again, and there was no way to do that in 2019 on a modern PlayStation or Nintendo console. Added to that, I figured I'd see what all this talk of extra power was about. Then Game Pass happened, and over time, it's simply been the most friction-free way to play most of what I want. This has happened at the same time Sony has dropped their emphasis on indies and quirky weird Japanese games, though they're still the default console for many of them. I'd be hurt, but I'm too busy playing weird new things that show up on Game Pass.
-
That's where my enthusiasm for the brand has come from, but it could easily turn around again if they became the Xbox of old. The things I like, I really like. Talk to me about headphones or writing craft and you'll get the same sort of enthusiasm. That said, there are specific reasons I think Microsoft is going to be leading at the end of this gen, and I don't think they're easily discountable.
-
Game Pass changes everything only because it's a well-implemented version of the future. Access models (as opposed to ownership models) are the future for any easily digitized media. Can a better implemented version of what Xbox is doing arise to beat them? Yes. Will it be Sony?

LOLOLOLOLOL! *ahem* No. It won't be Sony.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
It's not console wars for the sake of console wars. I simply think Xbox will win this in the long run, and it won't be close.
-
I was rabidly anti-Xbox last gen. I left my Xbox360 behind in 2010 when I got my PS3. I was PS4 only for most of last gen. I bought and loved my Vita. I didn't get an Xbox One until 2019. I've never played Gears, haven't played Halo since Halo 2 (really), and Forza Horizon one was the last Horizon I played except for dabbling (less than an hour) in FH4 until FH5.
-
All my excitement about Xbox has come from 2019 and 2020. Wanna know why I got an Xbox One X? I wanted to play Mass Effect 2 and 3 again, and there was no way to do that in 2019 on a modern PlayStation or Nintendo console. Added to that, I figured I'd see what all this talk of extra power was about. Then Game Pass happened, and over time, it's simply been the most friction-free way to play most of what I want. This has happened at the same time Sony has dropped their emphasis on indies and quirky weird Japanese games, though they're still the default console for many of them. I'd be hurt, but I'm too busy playing weird new things that show up on Game Pass.
-
That's where my enthusiasm for the brand has come from, but it could easily turn around again if they became the Xbox of old. The things I like, I really like. Talk to me about headphones or writing craft and you'll get the same sort of enthusiasm. That said, there are specific reasons I think Microsoft is going to be leading at the end of this gen, and I don't think they're easily discountable.
-
Game Pass changes everything only because it's a well-implemented version of the future. Access models (as opposed to ownership models) are the future for any easily digitized media. Can a better implemented version of what Xbox is doing arise to beat them? Yes. Will it be Sony?

It's not console wars, MS will just "win" so hard Sony will be out of the games business in ten years. Gotcha.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
-
-
-
-

You really need to step back and self reflect friend. You're in a wee bit too deep.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Your post goes a bit too far, but I agree with some of the points.

Gaming's future is subscriptions, that's for sure. Sony, even while turning huge profits, sees Game Pass as a big enough threat that they need to take action and build up a competitor. Their service will slowly grow to mirror gamepass more closely, and day one games are an eventuality. Whether they're too late on that front or not, remains to be seen (but I think they'll do ok)

They've also seen how MS has capitalized on PC and are slowly starting to warm up to putting their offering on there, too.

Nintendo is gonna continue crushing it, and MS has a clear vision and they're executing on it. PS feels in a weird spot as of now, and while I don't think will get "creamed" (lol), I see them being third place in the long run.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I always love these Sony are doomed-posts lmao. Every fucking new generation they're there.

My favorite were the ones in the old Wii U threads on the other website. Wii U was going to dominate and the next Xbox was going to be such an unstoppable second option that they were going to sweep Sony into irrelevancy.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Seriously? You know people are talking about competing in regards to the value of the service being provided. Which isn't really a competition if Sony isn't putting their 1st party titles on there day 1.

This whole thread has had people misconstruing the context of what it means to compete. We all know Sony is going to wind up 2nd in console sales by a large margin (albeit not as wide of a gap between PS4 and X1), that's never been a question. I don't think anyone here is suggesting that they're not competing in the sense that they aren't making quality titles. Because we all know that their 1st party games usually are some of the most critically and commercially successful titles when they release. People are clearly only talking about competition amongst subscription services and anyone pretending like that's not what is being argued here isn't arguing in good faith.

You really don't know what competition means if you think that these services aren't competing with each other.

PS+ and PSNow have been competing with Gamepass since its launch, and PS+ with a tier system will continue to do so.

It's simple economics. People really need to get away from the idea that competitors have to offer the exact same product in order to compete. This doesn't make any sense.

Netflix competes with PS+. Chocolate competes with soda. Uber competes with Ryanair.

The two services from Sony and Microsoft are about as similar as you can get. They will still have their USP.

Dec 14, 2017
It's not console wars, MS will just "win" so hard Sony will be out of the games business in ten years. Gotcha.
If that's what happens, was I any less right? I've already stated how little I liked Xbox for most of the Xbox360 gen and all but the last two years of Xbox One/PS4 gen. I'm not making that up. I thought everything about the Xbox One was straight up bad, and what really drove me from Xbox360 was anger that during the one month PSN outage, I was locked out of Netflix on console because with Xbox, you needed Live Gold to watch Netflix. Later, my console RRODed and I couldn't be bothered to replace it. That's how little I liked Xbox. I hated their "bro" marketing, their focus on Forza, Halo, Gears, Colladooty, etc.
-
I know you don't see it coming, but without significant mistakes on the part of Xbox, Sony has already lost. All it takes is one disastrous Naughty Dog game (it'll happen, because every winner eventually loses at some point), or a critical hardware failure (can Sony buy their way out of a RROD situation?), and that's it.
-
Add to this the mind-boggling lack of planning to have no holiday first party game on PlayStation this year and it's… How does that happen? We know MS was struggling to come back, and the first half of the year was dry except for Game Pass stuff, but with 23 studios, do you envision that happening ever again? I don't.
-
What killed Xbox in 2013? Bad/unclear messaging, a lack of focus on gaming, and the Kinect boondoggle, as well as having the less powerful, more expensive hardware.
-
Now look at Sony and their opening year. Good on them they launched with games! A remake of a niche PS3 game, an expanded DLC of Spider-Man, and a few other games, as well as Ratchet and Returnal, but their messaging has been awful. At least I can play better versions of the games I loved from last gen at better performance, tho. Except I can't without an upgrade fee. Also, that upgrade path? Janky as fuuuuuuuuuuuuu…

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020

I think the actions of the CCP in regards to gaming lately has made gaming companies quite weary of looking at China as a potentially successful business venture. Its not nearly as clear cut as you make it out to be. Its possible that in 10 years, China wont be relevant to the gaming space at all because its been practically regulated out of existences there - and that is not an unlikely scenario at all.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

What did I just read.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
jesus
-
Fucking
-
Christ
-
Imagine sushi restaurants. One place has the best sushi ever. the other is run by Guy Fieri. One is amazing. The other is eye catching but it is one bad sushi roll away from failure. It will happen. We all know Guy Fiery will eventually fuck up a sushi roll and give us all a tummy ache. They have already lost. You just don't know it yet.
-
Strategy? what's that? My brilliant foresight requires no such thing

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Seriously? You know people are talking about competing in regards to the value of the service being provided. Which isn't really a competition if Sony isn't putting their 1st party titles on there day 1.

This whole thread has had people misconstruing the context of what it means to compete. We all know Sony is going to wind up 2nd in console sales by a large margin (albeit not as wide of a gap between PS4 and X1), that's never been a question. I don't think anyone here is suggesting that they're not competing in the sense that they aren't making quality titles. Because we all know that their 1st party games usually are some of the most critically and commercially successful titles when they release. People are clearly only talking about competition amongst subscription services and anyone pretending like that's not what is being argued here isn't arguing in good faith.

Since you are discussing with so much good faith about subscription services could you enlight us with a valuable information?
Which is the console subscription service with the biggest userbase?

Oct 25, 2017
Now look at Sony and their opening year. Good on them they launched with games! A remake of a niche PS3 game, an expanded DLC of Spider-Man, and a few other games, as well as Ratchet and Returnal, but their messaging has been awful. At least I can play better versions of the games I loved from last gen at better performance, tho. Except I can't without an upgrade fee. Also, that upgrade path? Janky as fuuuuuuuuuuuuu…
I'm not sure you have an accurate understanding of the number of free 60fps patches Sony first party games have received in the past year.

Also lol at whining about the messaging when Sony have released like 8 games in the last 12 months.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
jesus
-
Fucking
-
Christ
-
Imagine sushi restaurants. One place has the best sushi ever. the other is run by Guy Fieri. One is amazing. The other is eye catching but it is one bad sushi roll away from failure. It will happen. We all know Guy Fiery will eventually fuck up a sushi roll and give us all a tummy ache. They have already lost. You just don't know it yet.
-
Strategy? what's that? My brilliant foresight requires no such thing
I hope this becomes an era meme

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
If that's what happens, was I any less right? I've already stated how little I liked Xbox for most of the Xbox360 gen and all but the last two years of Xbox One/PS4 gen. I'm not making that up. I thought everything about the Xbox One was straight up bad, and what really drove me from Xbox360 was anger that during the one month PSN outage, I was locked out of Netflix on console because with Xbox, you needed Live Gold to watch Netflix. Later, my console RRODed and I couldn't be bothered to replace it. That's how little I liked Xbox. I hated their "bro" marketing, their focus on Forza, Halo, Gears, Colladooty, etc.
-
I know you don't see it coming, but without significant mistakes on the part of Xbox, Sony has already lost. All it takes is one disastrous Naughty Dog game (it'll happen, because every winner eventually loses at some point), or a critical hardware failure (can Sony buy their way out of a RROD situation?), and that's it.
-
Add to this the mind-boggling lack of planning to have no holiday first party game on PlayStation this year and it's… How does that happen? We know MS was struggling to come back, and the first half of the year was dry except for Game Pass stuff, but with 23 studios, do you envision that happening ever again? I don't.
-
What killed Xbox in 2013? Bad/unclear messaging, a lack of focus on gaming, and the Kinect boondoggle, as well as having the less powerful, more expensive hardware.
-
This is like every console war thread over the past year condensed into one post. One would think Sony is close to bankruptcy with how outmatched they are by their competition.

Your experience with Xbox should tell you the future is not set in stone and things can change at any time. Yet you seem to have gone from one extreme to another.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
-
-
-
-

Can't say I agree with any of what you said about Xbox completely destroying the competition, but what would you recommend when it comes to wired headphones? Gaming wise of course.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
You still do not get it.

What Sony has is 48 million PS+ users and 3.2 million PS Now accounts. When they merge these services, what they will have is just that until people start paying for improved tiers. Most of your PS+ user base is likely the PS Now user base too.

What they wont do is the above math you propose to inflate their numbers.
This is so frustrating it's laughable, lol.

Can't wait for Spartacus! :)

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still remember those times industry wannabe experts kept saying Sony will follow Microsoft with the online DRM bullshit then E3 2013 came.