Status
Not open for further replies.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
This is so weird. The PS4 and PS5 are incredibly successful and this move for mega hits only can be seen as a power move...but also feels like the company is fragile and is tiptoeing around. I dunno..

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It's a comparison that is so patently absurd that there is nothing meaningful to be drawn from it, even if you are now deciding that actually, you meant a much more tenuous link.
I don't need to find anything when a comparison wasn't my intention of the post. I haven't "decided" anything afterwards either. I know what my intention was from the start and what I wrote as someone not speaking english as a mother tongue. But you are free to interpret things into my post at your will. 🙄

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At least I still have horizon 2 and god of war 2 but fuck man I need something new already

Returnal, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Kena Bridge of Spirits, Little Devil Inside, Solar Ash and Deathloop are all coming out within the next few months. Plus Oddworld: Soulstorm just dropped, it comes with PS Plus. As did Destruction All-stars last month.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
for those into a tlou remake, seriously how many times do u guys need to replay it? do u one a remake of it every gen?

not even nintendo is that ridiculous with ocarina of time.
If i want to replay TLoU in a few years I would rather play the ps5 version without loading screen.
It's one of the greatest game of all times, so why not put the game in the best possible shape.
I mean people here would be celebrating if Nintendo would remake BOTW for Switch pro which would s only 4 years old.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
If they're actually remaking games less than 10 years old, why on earth is it TLOU when it's already had a remaster and not Bloodborne? You know, the game fans have been craving a remaster for and could actually use some work.

I'm not quite at "Fuck off Jim Ryan", but I'm real close at this point.
Why do you assume they're not?

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying "TLOU, Sony what are you doing?"?

It wasn't "Sony" who commissioned it, a bunch of devs did it under their own steam and Sony didn't even support it.

Second paragraph of the article...
I don't know if people are being dense about the situation, but the "studio" (more like a team, since they didn't even get internal recognition) needed to make a smaller scale title first before getting more funding. The company strategy was against non-AAAA development, so their options were to tackle a remake. They didn't get enough resources for an Uncharted 1 remake, which would have been more desirable, so they went with the easiest option which was TLOU1, which would reuse systems, mechanics and graphics from both the original game and the sequel.

And while the project is unnecessary, they didn't kill it, they gave it more valuable resources by making their most acclaimed and expensive studio work on it.

I really don't get the "so they didn't want to fund an unnecessary remake, so what?". The remake is being funded, and it's being developed by ND of all studios...

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
Are any of you reading the article? I know shitposting is a thing, but damn 😅

Bend's developers feared they might be absorbed into Naughty Dog, and the studio's leadership asked to be taken off the Uncharted project. They got their wish last month and are now working on a new game of their own.
Bend Studio are doing their own new game.

Michael Mumbauer, who founded the Visual Arts Service Group in 2007, recruited a group of about 30 developers, internally and from neighboring game studios, to form a new development unit within Sony. The idea was to expand upon some of the company's most successful franchises and the team began working on a remake of the 2013 hit The Last of Us for the PlayStation 5. But Sony never fully acknowledged the team's existence or gave them the funding and support needed to succeed in the highly competitive video game market, according to people involved.
For their first solo project, Mumbauer and his crew wanted to pitch something that would be well received by their bosses at Sony. Recognizing the risks and expense involved with developing a new game from scratch, they decided to focus on remaking older games for the new PlayStation 5.
They chose to remake The Last of Us, code-named T1X, as their project to form a new studio within Sony and the concept "was approved on a probationary basis".

Still, the small team kept working and by the spring of 2019 they had completed a section of the game designed to showcase how the rest would look and feel.
At that time, Sony was going through a management shuffle and the new boss wasn't impressed. Hermen Hulst, the former head of Guerrilla Games, was named head of PlayStation's Worldwide Studios in November 2019. He thought the remake project was too expensive, according to people familiar with the matter, and asked why the planned budget for T1X was so much higher than remakes Sony had made in the past.
The project started before Hulst was Head of PlayStation Studios and he didn't like what he saw.

Sony sent word that after the completion of The Last of Us Part II, some people from Naughty Dog would help out with T1X. Mumbauer's team saw this as their short-lived autonomy being stripped.
Then, the roles got reversed. Sony sent word that after the completion of The Last of Us Part II, some people from Naughty Dog would help out with T1X. Mumbauer's team saw this as their short-lived autonomy being stripped. Dozens of Naughty Dog staff were joining the project, and some had actually worked on the original The Last of Us, giving them more weight in discussions about T1X's direction.
Naughty Dog staff were joining the T1X/Remake project, not Naughty Dog as a studio.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
We need TLOU to take a break. I enjoyed both games but I would like ND to make something else with their talent.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Their blockbusters are the only reason I buy PlayStation consoles so I'm glad they focus on those. Outside of exclusives like TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man and so on I have zero interest in PlayStation.

I prefer the Xbox controller and UI so I get my multiplats there and honestly have plenty to play between MS exclusives, Nintendo exclusives (grew up with them and will always have room for their games) and third parties. Sony's blockbusters are just good enough for me to buy their consoles just for them (though last gen I ended up maining the PS4 with the bad Xbox One launch and it being underpowered before the One X).

So I'd say Sony is right to focus mostly on those games as that's what differentiates them from the competition since MS has been more focused on MP games and service games with their exclusives (before recent acquisitions) rather than story driven blockbuster games and narrative-driven games have never been Nintendo's strong suit and their hardware lacks the power for AAA blockbuesters on par with Sony's stuff in terms of production values and graphics.

AA and below games are better being multiplatform where they can reach more folks. They aren't big system sellers so it doesn't make a lot of sense for the console makers to fund many of them beyond just a few to add some variety to their exclusive libraries. Much less random things like a TLOU remake that no one is pining for given the PS4 remaster still holds up great.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
not as many "but it's a sound business decision! it's a business!" cheerleaders as i expected in here..

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
ND not making a new IP for almost 2 console gens is so incredibly disappointing.

I mean..."organic growth" they say. But for what? to have more teams working on milking all their IPs? lmao.
This plan would make sense if they were acquiring studios and having some "new blood". But not like this...

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

It wasn't "Sony" who commissioned it, a bunch of devs did it under their own steam and Sony didn't even support it.

The project still exists though, now under ND's leadership. But yeah that's not really the point of the article.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
This consolidation towards blockbusts is happening across the whole industry - look at EAs portfolio now compared to the PS2 era, look at the way Rockstar, Ubisoft, Activision, Microsoft, ect all run their studios and projects... the horse has bolted.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I thought I misinterpreted the article, and read it again, I guess more people read short summaries than the full article.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people wondering why would a game developer try to sell us the same game 2 or 3 times?
This has been the trend for quite a while now.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
But those growing increasingly unsatisfied with Playstation's current direction were told they were over reacting.

Playstation will ultimately be fine and the PS5 a whopping success, but they're clearly bleeding creativity, charm, and enthusiast trust. What's happening is the cynical read on someone like Herman Hulst taking over WWS from someone with Shu's sensibilities.
Hulst is the one that didn't want a new unproven studio working on a remake of a 6 year old game
I mean they're now supporting it and are pumping resources into it
Seems like they just sent over a small fraction (dozens) of their almost 500 employees and increased the budget cuz they trust Naughty Dog employees over a support studio

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
playstation-in-2030.png

Jan 20, 2019
How do you justify buying PS5 now? It looks like Sony will release a couple of huge AAA games (6-8) during the lifespan of this generation - in that case you just might buy PS5 at the end of the generation and play through all its exclusives.

Becayse they already release 5 titles with 2 more to come in the next 2 months? It is not hard to see it...

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This consolidation towards blockbusts is happening across the whole industry - look at EAs portfolio now compared to the PS2 era, look at the way Rockstar, Ubisoft, Activision, Microsoft, ect all run their studios and projects... the horse has bolted.
And is not a bad thing

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
I loved Days Gone at release but going back now I can see its flaws more (the radial menu is terrible, crafting is boring). I thought they pushed the horde mechanic and the emerging chaos as far as they could. The story seemed setup for a sequel though and maybe they could have made some larger (huge) hordes to take out. Disappointed in the news.

Also TLOU is so overplayed now... who cares yawn.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
The idea of there being a Last of Us remake already is amusing to me. It's like the final encapsulation of the "who wants to play this "old" game any more when you can play the remake" attitude.

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
I was like "yeah, Sony made a right decision not proceding with TLOU remake" and then apparently it's still being made at Naughty Dog lol

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Hulst is the one that didn't want a new unproven studio working on a remake of a 6 year old game

Seems like they just sent over a small fraction (dozens) of their almost 500 employees and increased the budget cuz they trust Naughty Dog employees over a support studio
You're being incredibly derogatory to VASG there, who are the major part of why Sony's first party games look as good as they do.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously...who the fuck asked for a TLOU1 Remake.

Shitty for Bend to not get a chance to sure up their game design with a Days Gone sequel and now have another new IP that's in limbo.

The thought of Naughty Dog stuck at doing a TLOU2 remaster for the PS5, a TLOU remake, Factions and Uncharted...plus the TLOU tv show is depressing as hell tbh

This is where I'm at. Prepare for another gen with no new IP from Sony's best studio.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I thought for sure Days Gone was going to become a new franchise. Crazy.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Yeah, I don't know either.
- Biggest console launch ever in history
- DS Remake + new Spider-Man game
- Gave Housemarque the money and resources, the fans demanded for years
- GoW Ragnarok coming sooner than we thought
- Sony is leading US, EU and Asia markets

I REALLY DON'T KNOW
All the doom and gloom lately is hilarious to me.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite. XDEV and San Mateo are Sony's external development studios, supporting externally developed first party games like the ones you mentioned. VASG are another thing entirely, they're a support studio for Sony's studios, external partners and even third parties (they worked on EA/Visceral/Amy Hennig's Ragtag for example) with mo-cap, animation, cinematics and so on, hence why they're the Visual Arts Services Group.
Yeah, thanks for the correction. However, I don't really see any major change other than Sony having very big products.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
Remake with added scenes that are in line with the HBO show and also more setup for the sequel, like maybe we get to see young Abby in the first game or something... It seems unnecessary but if they are working on two games, on being the remake and the other a new IP I'd be down for that. Unless the MP takes so much effort that it's basically the other full game they are working on...

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom

Except, the article states it was formed "internally within Sony" and also the
remake wasn't ever cancelled, they simply moved it back to Naughty Dog, whenever they want to pick it back up. It seems like Sony didn't have confidence in the other team, but the idea of a remake is still seemingly on cards?

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Why is anyone surprised that TLOU is getting a remake? Like did everyone forget about the new TV show that's coming out in the next year or so? TLOU was inevitably going to get some kind of movie or TV release and of course Sony wants to capitalize on the new people who would be come interested in the franchise. The first game is getting pretty outdated.

Anyway, sucks for Bend studio but I'm not surprised there's no Days Gone 2. Saw a clip from the game that made me cringe so hard I practically broke my jaw. Though, instead of shunting them to work under another studio, why not get the other studios to help them write things that are up to Sony's standards.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
What the hell is going on over at Sony? This past year has just been bad news after bad news.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
So did they scuttle the new Uncharted project, or was that also absorbed by ND?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I REALLY DON'T KNOW

Sure, it's a good console, but is it a good Playstation console? Let that one percolate in your brain box for a while. Hmmmm.
Referential joke, in case it wasn't immediately evident.

Oct 27, 2017
very funny how Days Gone was slaughtered on Era and now people are acting like it was the most beloved game just cause it's not getting the fabled Sequel™
Three points:

1. Days Gone came out in rough state and later got fixed. People might have liked it afterwards.
2. Those who liked the game might not be the same people who hated on it.
3. Some people might not have liked it but wanted a sequel to fix what they didn't like.

So in short, your take is worthless.
I just played through it and was surprised how great it was but the ending doesn't really leave a sequel open from what I took from it. Meta critic being so important nowadays sucks.
There is a secret ending that pretty much confirmed the story isn't over. I recommend finding it on youtube if you haven't seen it.

Agreed with the meta score.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017

I REALLY DON'T KNOW
The narratives being spewed on gaming side are honestly borderline insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.