• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with Jason?

• Yes

Votes: 2,404 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 888 25.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 225 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Including a "Part 1" would imply they're committing to further parts, something they probably don't want to do just yet. Who knows if the next game(s) will follow the same structure as this one.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, whether malicious or just stupid (it's Square after all, it can be heard to tell), it's absolutely misleading as it stands.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
" is actually an expanded and enhanced version of the Midgar section of the original Final Fantasy VII, which comprises roughly the first four hours of the game. "

Wait what? I thought it was the FULL game but it's only that part? ... uhhhh ....

-_- ......

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
This is exactly my thoughts. I always felt like they should just add part 1. Yeah yeah it's a full game based on the first 10% of VII but you have to realize it literally says REMAKE. Unless part 2 and up are getting new boxart changes with the same name, this is just terribly misleading and I fully agree with Jason here.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Why is anyone acting like back of the box is good enough when huge amounts of retailers won't exactly let you casually hold the box and read that.
Just break through the glass case at Walmart with your bare fist if you want to know what you're buying
Borrow a handgun from the sporting goods if you're too weak to break it yourself

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Adding part 1 to me makes it sound like it's 2-3 hours, Telltale Games style.
Yup, a Part 1 subtitle would probably make some people want to wait for the "full game", ignorant to the fact that this is a full game and that it's gonna take forever for the the entire story to be covered.

SE would obviously want to avoid that situation, and hence the misleading title.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Agreed with Jason.

It is misleading and there will definitely be people screaming a week or so after launch. The back of the box needs to be explicit, but even still not everyone looks at the back when buying a game.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I see we're comparing a $10 movie remake ($20 if you count both) to what will most likely be over $200 remake game of the original FF7 story. Makes total sense.

Fuck no.

The Part 1+2 [The story so far/365] Collection will be $20 by the time Part 3 comes out. Games crash in value very quickly.

And games have resale value. Movie tickets are non refundable.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
They knew from the jump not remaking the game in its entirety would draw scrutiny. This is literally them being dishonest.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I think the real issue is that the Midgar section of FF7 IS NOT a complete game or story by any stretch. There is basically no resolution to any of the issues in the plot, other than ones that are immediately replaced by newer, bigger problems. Sure, the Shin-Ra president gets it. But his son immediately steps in his place and promises to be worse and Sephiroth is on the loose, and you're on his tail. A new MAIN character is introduced like a half hour before this!! This is just the beginning of the rising action of this story and it comes to an end there??

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
This makes me think back to FF7s advertising back in 1997 where all it's commercials were just the CG movies and not the actual gameplay. I wonder how many casual buyers bought the game and said WTF when they saw the actual in game graphics and the turn based combat?

Anecdotal, but I knew a few people in high school that bought the game just due to the CG commercials.
Some of them were pissed and didn't progress, but for some it was the gateway into a game genre they'd never been into before and they became not only FF fans, but fans of console RPGs.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I dont care about company but semantics.

If people care so much about misleading Uncle Joe why not go further to stop confusion.

It's not semantics at all. This isn't the complete version of Final fantasy 7. That's not an opinion it's a fact. To say SE should just call this Final fantasy 7 when it isn't the whole thing is being very disingenuous.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's valid to stand up for those being misled, that much I can totally agree on. It should probably have a subtitle, and I'm still kinda baffled they decided to call it 'remake' directly and not something else.

But this is exactly what people here are saying. Yes 'we' know it's not the full story and are fine with that as yes it's supposed to be a lengthy game but there are plenty of people out there that will think it's the whole of the Final Fantasy 7 story and that is what the issue is and what people in this thread are complaining about.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It's a "remake" of a comic book story line technically. And it doesn't contain the entire story.

I honestly think Infinity War is a really fair comparison, because it was announced initially as a two part story told in two movies, but the general public that don't follow movie news did not know that.

When they got to the end credits and realized this is only half the story, the vast majority of people did not get mad or feel like they were ripped off.
Except it wasn't a remake but rather an adaptation of a long running series.

It was initially announced as two parts but then they decided to give Endgame it's own title because the story had changed considerably. And because Infinity War the movie can definitely work as a standalone title just like Age of Ultron can. You definitely should watch Endgame though.

Audiences either knew that Infinity War was the first part of a saga because Disney and Marvel were stressing that information out everywhere or the audiences had no knowledge of comics in general so they came in expecting to see something called Infinity War.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's not semantics at all. This isn't the complete version of Final fantasy 7. That's not an opinion it's a fact. To say SE should just call this Final fantasy 7 when it isn't the whole thing is being very disingenuous.
^ this. This isn't the full game. It's barely even a part of the game. That's why this is a problem.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
How does it mean exactly that?
There is no formal, industry wide accepted definition of "remake" in regard to video games. Therefore we must look to historical examples to give us the context of the word.

The majority (if not entirety?) of video games with the remake label applied have been full content remakes. This sets expectations when the term is used. When a game deviates from that norm it, especially when it might be perceived as having "less" content that the original, it should make that difference apparent.

Final Fantasy VII Remake (part 1) may have the content to make it a "full" game, but it's not a remake of the original game, it's part of a remake of the original game.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
A lot of people who don't spend their time posting on gaming forums are going to think they're buying something they're not. Simple as that.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like some of the people dismissing this think that Jason and others are making it a Big Deal, but... not necessarily? We can think "eh, that's misleading" without it being a huge problem, after all.

The problem here is that, though the game is supposed to be a full game on its own, with a legit narrative arc and the scope of a full Final Fantasy game, it's still a remake of something that already exists. There are plenty of people that comment on the official social media posts that clearly don't know this is just Midgar, so it'd probably be a good idea to make that clear for people who liked the game or are interested in it but haven't kept up with news. Not everyone's an enthusiast, after all.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Part 1+2 [The story so far/365] Collection will be $20 by the time Part 3 comes out. Games crash in value very quickly.

And games have resale value. Movie tickets are non refundable.

And this makes it ok somehow? No. It's shady of Square Enix. Let's see how far those prices crash because you truly don't know. Square will surely milk this game for as much as possible for years to come.

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the back of the box says it's just Midgar or part 1 or some other descriptor, it'll be fine.

I'd rather they were more clear on the front of the box, but i dont think it's a big deal if it ships the way it currently is. The PS Store description seems fine to me.

Edit: I see some folks saying they can't get to read the back of the box before purchase. That isnt the case in the uk where all retailers have display cases you can pick up and read or item descriptions in the case web based retailers. Unless there are some exceptions I'm not aware of.

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but being misleading to unaware consumers who loved the original by wasting their time and money is fucking shitty and I'm surprised people are defending it.

I'm not defending it. I'm just saying that there aren't any unaware consumers because it's 2019 and everyone uses social media and YouTube to get their news.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
FFVIIR is very much episodic though. It's one story told in several smaller parts. It's just on a much bigger scale, but it's the literal definition of an episodic title.
The Witcher 1 to 3 don't tell just one story but three different, with each game meeting an end that resolves the storyline proper to that game.

Again, this is silly. People could stretch the definition of one story by separating them into story arcs. I could as well argue that the section at Corel where the party gets into the desert prison is a complete story by itself. There's a particular beginning, a middle and a ending, at the same time The Witcher is all about the story of Geralt.

This definition is 100% arbitrary to discussion convenience.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
He's not wrong but I don't think people will care as much by the time they beat the game.

Is it really only 1/10th of the original? I can handle trilogy but not this...

Midgar may have only encompassed 1/10th of the original, but it's been completely fleshed out to become a 30-hour experience, comparable to the length of FFXIII. That's not to say they're going to expand on the rest of the game in the same fashion though. They likely just made an exception because this chapter of the game is so memorable and full of untapped potential.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Is box art even relevant in the internet age? Nobody is buying this game on a whim based on the box. Many people will never even see the box as they buy digitally

Oct 25, 2017
infinity-war_payoff-poster.jpg

That isn't a remake of a previous movie, not hard to grasp really.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
This game is in a unique situation. SE call it a remake but it looks more like a reimagining.

Therefore I've gone with the not misleading option.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, this is silly. People could stretch the definition of one story by separating them into story arcs. I could as well argue that the section at Corel where the party gets into the desert prison is a complete story by itself. There's a particular beginning, a middle and a ending, at the same time The Witcher is all about the story of Geralt.

This definition is 100% arbitrary to discussion convenience.

It's not a stretch. It's the literal definition of "episodic". A story told in episodes. The original story of FFVII is told in episodes here. Storylines set up in part 1 won't get answered until the later parts of the whole remake project as a whole.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the real issue is that the Midgar section of FF7 IS NOT a complete game or story by any stretch. There is basically no resolution to any of the issues in the plot, other than ones that are immediately replaced by newer, bigger problems. Sure, the Shin-Ra president gets it. But his son immediately steps in his place and promises to be worse and Sephiroth is on the loose, and you're on his tail. A new MAIN character is introduced like a half hour before this!! This is just the beginning of the rising action of this story and it comes to an end there??

I've been saying the same thing for months. It's like remaking Kingdom Hearts 2 and focusing way too much on Twilight Town, then rolling credits right after Sora meets Master Yen Sid.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with Jason. This is like if they remade Fellowship of the Ring, but ending just as they're leaving The Shire. Sure, The Shire part would now have extended scenes to stretch it out to a full movie, but people would still be confused as to why it is ending before it really started.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't hurt anyone to just slap a "Part 1" on there or "Midgar Chapter". If they're fine with nonsense like 358/2 Days, then there shouldn't be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.