• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with Jason?

• Yes

Votes: 2,404 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 888 25.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 225 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
The game that publisher Square Enix is calling "Final Fantasy VII Remake" is actually an expanded and enhanced version of the Midgar section of the original Final Fantasy VII, which comprises roughly the first four hours of the game. The remake looks (and feels) great so far, but we don't know when the whole project will actually be finished—director Yoshinori Kitase told me at E3 that they hadn't even figured out how many parts it will be.

Based on what we've seen so far, it's safe to say that this PS4 game will feel drastically different and be a lot bigger than the original Final Fantasy VII's Midgar. The story is expanded, the gameplay is completely overhauled, and there are a ton of changes both big and small. But it's still just a fraction of Final Fantasy VII's complete story. So why is there no indication anywhere on this box that this is just part one? (Square Enix didn't immediately respond to our questions about this.)

More here

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No. I still think there's gonna be a description on the back of the box and that's enough.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
Because it's a full game?

I don't want to copy past everything but Jason asked this question at the end of the article

You have to wonder: how many people will see this box at GameStop or Target and think, 'Wow, a remake of that game I loved in the 90s' only to find that they've actually just gotten 1/10 of the story of that game they loved in the 90s?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there will be indications in the back of the box but yeah for the old fans not following gaming news this is going to suck once they see the ff7 remake box at walmart then reach the credit scenes after midgar.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere along the line Square Enix made a judgment call that most people won't care.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yeah. Most casual people who haven't followed the game will surely be disappointed when they see the credits roll leaving midgar.
My brother didn't know until I told him, so there will be many who don't know.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like everyone that's interested in this game already knows about it being multiple episodes.

Lord knows people have been complaining about that fact for a long time.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
If it's only a partial remake it should get a different title, Final Fantasy VII Remake implies the entire game has been remade, it's false advertising.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt that this release will be substantial and contain many hours of quality content, but Schreier's not wrong. The cover definitely presents itself as the remake of FF7, when in actuality it's just a portion of it.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm not buying "misleading." I can't imagine there are many people who played the original FFVII and are excited to buy this remake are completely unaware of the splitting up into chapters thing.

If it's only a partial remake it should get a different title, Final Fantasy VII Remake implies the entire game has been remade, it's false advertising.

How is it false advertising? "Remake" doesn't mean "faithful replication of the original with updated visuals."

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
All I want to know is what they're gonna call the second game. VII-2? Remake part 2? Sephiroth's uprising? Kingdom Hearts 4.361?

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a good feeling the back of the box will say something like 'Experience the first part of the epic tale!' or something similar.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
It should definitely have a 'Part I' written on the cover if it is indeed just a remake of the Midgar section.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The casuals are going to go nuts when the game ends after the escape from Midgar sequence. Absolutely bonkers.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I haven't agreed with Jason much lately over certain things on PC but I definitely do agree with this.

Yeah they can put the info in the back. But they could also definitely modify the title to show that its Part 1.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm shocked that there is literally anyone who would think it isn't misleading.

The game is episodic and not the full FFVII story. Regardless of the quality of the game (it looks great, obviously), why on Earth would anyone not want the box art to reflect that for customers?

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
peter jackson is a god damn crook for not putting part 1 of 3 on the posters for the hobbit

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
It is misleading. If its the first part of a series of games, it should at least have a sub-title of sorts.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with him. They should add something like "Episode 1" or "Part 1" at least.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong. We know it's a full game and multiple parts because we are on a gaming forum. It's extremely misleading to not have a subtitle or label of some sort.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's likely to be substantial enough to be a full game by itself. We don't know what changes they've made to the story, so it seems a bit premature to be writing concerned articles about this before even getting a response from SE.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, yes it's a full game, but it's also a remake.

Remake for which this release barely scratches 10% of the original product's material, storyline-wise.

It should definitely be labeled 'Part 1' or 'Episode 1'. I expect many people to be extremely pissed once they find out that they're done once leaving Midgar.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy Remake is a game all of its own.

The Last of Us was as well...
Now there's a Part II.... But they never called the first Part 1!!!!!!!!11ONE

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't know about FF7, you are going to get a full game that ends on a cliffhanger just like 90% of AAA games these days.

If you know about FF7, you know this is a multi-series game.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I get the feeling the next FF7 Remake will be actually Called: FF7 Remake 2 or have a subtitle.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really care but he's right. It would suck if you picked it up expecting the full experience.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Just because enthusiasts will know it's only part 1, doesn't mean the casual will. 11 million + copies sold of FF7. There will 100% be casuals who pick up this game expecting the full thing, and then be disappointed. Put a part 1 on that box, Square.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
It should 100% have a subtitle "Part 1" or "Episode 1" or "Midgar" or something.

Just calling it FF7 Remake is misleading and gives unreasonable expectations.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I feel like everyone that's interested in this game already knows about it being multiple episodes.

Lord knows people have been complaining about that fact for a long time.

Not even close

The general public is vastly misinformed on most of this shit.

peter jackson is a god damn crook for not putting part 1 of 3 on the posters for the hobbit

Sure if he made a remake of a hobbit movie and not the book and specifically kept the exact same title except put Remake at the end indicating it's a remake of the entire thing and not just the intro.

Also $60 vs $9 movie ticket so ya know.

All 3 hobbit movies on blu-ray would be about the cost of just the first part of this remake will be.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
As long as it has a reasonable play time - who cares? If they extend it and do it good it'll feel like a full game any way.

The Last of Us was part 1 too, part 2 comes out next year ;)

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I haven't been following the game closely and this is the first I've heard that this isn't the "full game". Agree 100% with Jason, this is very misleading.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get it. I really do but

We haven't seen the back of the box so I wouldn't say there isn't any indication on the box. All we know is it's just not on the front cover so far.
It should be on the front cover. If they release season 1 of a tv show printing "actually only half a season" on the back cover wouldn't fly either.

Status
Not open for further replies.