• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
there is nothing special about it though
Graphics are often some of the best around and probably has the most stylish open world out there.

Has an amazing musical score.

When everything clicks and you play well, combat can be truly great with a tonne of options available and a real sense of sword fighting.

Story is a slow build but ramps up to some amazing and engaging moments with great growth and character progression.

Has some of the hypest moments I have seen or played ever.

Does a great job of using environmental story telling to drive missions, little touches add to a more natural feel to investigating than pretty much any game of its type.

This idea that GoT is average is just flat out wrong. Is it perfect? No, but any issues are minor and don't detract from the overwhelming highs it has.

Oct 25, 2017
Is japan usually this low? I guess considering the comments, it much be but I guess I'm expecting games to be sold in the higher 500k's or more?

Side note - Where is all this "game is not perfect" stuff coming from? Last I checked the meta critic score, it basically explains just that lol

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knack is bigger tha both
I mean Knack is bigger than Mario and nearly killed the franchise so that's unfair
The game is just ok or whatever. I'm glad it's doing well though I guess. I guess there was a real demand for a "realistic" historical Japanese game.
you're kinda salty or whatever I guess?
It's not just the biggest launch for a first-party new IP on the PS4, it's the biggest launch for a first-party, including Nintendo, new IP on any console since the PS1.
Lol no way?

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
SP getting the recognition it deserves. I still hope we get another inFamous in the future. inFamous 2 is still one of my favorite games.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
People are going to call this bait and ignore the:

Tiny FOV
Annoying camera during combat
Shoehorned-in Batman investigations
Several quests following the same formula of: Ride Horse with person > Investigate evidence/Scout combat arena on hill/Trail suspicious people > Combat arena
Dryly written, mostly uninteresting characters
Poorly incorporated stealth

It's ok if you don't find fault with that stuff, but not everyone has to pretend the game is flawless. It does some big things well though.

How many open world games do stealth any different? I get the instant fail stealth because that's tied to story design, but in the open world how does AC series, Shadow of Mordor do stealth any different just to name a few? You could say they're all brain dead.

As for the mission design, how many open world games don't have a repeated loop in their mission design? you could say the same for RDR2, Witcher 3, Far Cry etc

The camera can suck sometimes, but at least when it works, the combat is fun to play...can't say the same for RDR2, Witcher 3. I listed those 2 games bc of how well they're received.

Last edited:

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Fantastic results!

Also on a side note, my kink is setting people who can't read a room, on ignore.... Try IT, it's hella fun :)

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. I was expecting a great game but they surprised me with a GOTY contender.

Mar 22, 2020

Tiny FOV
Several quests following the same formula of: Ride Horse with person > Investigate evidence/Scout combat arena on hill/Trail suspicious people > Combat arena

It's ok if you don't find fault with that stuff, but not everyone has to pretend the game is flawless. It does some big things well though.
I've seen you in basically every Ghost of Tsushima thread bashing the game. You bring up valid points, but you seem determined to be the one to cancel out all the praise the game is getting.

I'm not saying that you can't offer up valid criticisms of the game, but you've stated your opinion ten times over at this point.

No one thinks this game is perfect.

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. I beat it last night and it was an absolutely fantastic experience. Can't wait for an eventual sequel.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Tiny FOV

Mediocre does not equal flawless

Something can stand out and still have major major flaws

Animal Crossing is a key example

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't it given away for free in Japan at PS4 launch?

That hardly counts as sold.
It counts even if Sony was blackmailing people to take a free copy.
Rude can't help but ruin threads.
I'm pretty sure it's their skill. Not ONE OF their skills, but skill, singular.

giphy.gif

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, congrats to SP. It's interesting that this hole in the market of a good AAA samurai game was filled by a western developer. There's clearly a lot of demand for it, including in Japan.

Edit: you people are giving that post way too much attention. This always happens when there's a thread about a successful launch of an exclusive game, don't let them derail the thread which is about the sales and not the game's camera or whatever.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Reported on this when we covered the Famitsu news but this is huge for a Western studio.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Couldve done better but there was stock issues with this game in Japan was out of stock nearly everywhere for awhile

Guess Sony didn't anticipate this

Feb 23, 2019
This game is a masterpiece and one of my favorite titles this gen, and in my top 3 open world games.

very well deserved to Sucker Punch and I'm very happy that this new IP is doing so well globally

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017

Oh you're just a troll. Won't bother then.

But great news the games has done so well. It's fully deserved, Sucker Punch are taking feedback on board, hopefully a few of the issues can be fixed but they've got a great new IP that's sold really well under their belts now so it's got great potential for an even bigger and better sequel.

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Is japan usually this low? I guess considering the comments, it much be but I guess I'm expecting games to be sold in the higher 500k's or more?

Side note - Where is all this "game is not perfect" stuff coming from? Last I checked the meta critic score, it basically explains just that lol
Playstation first party aren't the most popular titles in Japan. The biggest games in Japan can do well over a million (Dragon Quest XI did a combined 2 million first week, Monster Hunter World did 1.35M off the top of my head, and Animal Crossing did 1.88M first week). A lot of franchises that are massive in Japan are Nintendo franchises and have very long legs but relatively lower debuts.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Totally unrelated games

Yes and now? Thank you for telling me. I would have never known hmmm

Last of Us 2 First Party Title
Ghost of Tsushima First Party Title
Both came out this year
Both are singleplayer

Oh...stop somehow related here hmm....

Totally unrelated post.

Oh you're just a troll. Won't bother then.

But great news the games has done so well. It's fully deserved, Sucker Punch are taking feedback on board, hopefully a few of the issues can be fixed but they've got a great new IP that's sold really well under their belts now so it's got great potential for an even bigger and better sequel.

lol. It's Rude - don't bother.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Well deserved, i normally dont like open-world games and think they are awfully (ubisoft) boring, but this one hooked me with its setting, story, exploration and combat.