• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn that's a good get. Are we finally going to get a second good DCEU film?

"From the guy who Disney sided with Nazis instead of"

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Let's entertain that Gunn's name has this giant draw for a second.

Imagine the marketing for this movie.

"From the director of Guardians of the Galaxy and a lot of other movies you quite likely didn't see" is not going to work.
Guardians is huge, that is enough of a namedrop to get folks interested. Rest is up to the quality, and remember, Gunn made Guardians in to a thing in the first place.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Brilliant move by DC. I never bothered with Suicide Squad 1 but if Gunn is directing the sequel, I have to see it.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Cautiously optimistic. I hated the first Suicide Squad, but I really love Gunn's stuff. Guardians 2 is my favorite MCU movie.

If they really do give him free reign over the property, I'm on board.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Guardians of the Galaxy is a Marvel property. I mean, I can see them do it (it's bold and it work) but the irony is fantastic. Having to namedrop and praise your direct rivals in order to prop your movie is... something.

This literally happens anytime a name director does another big movie

It's fine

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No recasts needed here. Keep whoever you want, and just add new villains. Easy.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
Guess Whedon is done with the DCEU lol
zBHOilNl.png

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It means that I think Gunn is good but nowhere near as good as others seem to think. Guardians 1 was great, Guardians 2 was eh. Just that.
Guardians 2's only major problems in my eyes were the overly-indulgent action sequences that bloat the runtime. It is otherwise a much more thematically compelling and generally better written film than the first, in my opinion.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, she just randomly killed a room of folks with no discernable reason

I think that was the moment I knew nothing could salvage the movie.

Yes, let me kill a room full of my own personnel who joined the government, were trained by said government, passed a litany of security screenings, obtained various security clearances, and have sworn themselves to protect the country and follow my every order. Now, let me trust my well-being to a bunch of criminals who want to kill me but are only stopped from doing so because I've placed bombs in their heads that can only be triggered by about one person on the team in relative proximity to them.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck lol

This movie is going to make so much money I can't believe they're convincing me to watch it lol

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Seems like a bad decision on Gunn's part to choose Suicide Squad to work on after how bad the Ayer version was. Almost seems like a setup for failure even if the movie itself is good.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If there was anyone that could help make a Suicide Squad script good, it'd be Gunn.

Deadshot was the best part of the first one, so Will Smith better still be in.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why would they need to recast anybody? By nature the squad can just be different characters. Nobody was so terrible in their role that they need to be recasted.
Agreed. Personally? I'd keep Deadshot, Harley, and Boomerang, and team them up with three or four new villains. Maybe Black Manta and King Shark?

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Show em how it's done

Marvel gonna be cawling back to you when you flashing that Harley money

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People argue over it on Era but you'll find many who believe Guardians 2 was at least as good as the original, if not better. I fall in the "better" camp.

I absolutely respect that. I think it had many good moments, but honestly I felt it focused too much on Starlord and fell victim of the "let's break up the family before we reunite it" trope. I felt the best part of the movie were Nebula and Gamora. Or Baby Groot and RR. Everything involving Kurt Russell was eh.

Edited for clarity. God I can't type tonight.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exciting that it's not a sequel.

DC should just let all their creators do whatever they want with DC properties instead of creating a universe.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
"From the director of that other movie you loved that was clearly the basis for the first Suicide Squad but we kind of fucked that up so we just straight up hired the guy for the sequel."

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And all of a sudden DCU fans don't think MCU movies are that bad anymore.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they need to recast anybody? By nature the squad can just be different characters. Nobody was so terrible in their role that they need to be recasted.

yea this is kinda my feeling. I don't think the actors were terrible, they just had really bad writing.

"when the script calls for you to eat cat food, there's not much the actor can do to make it look good." -nostalgia critic on catwoman

Killer Croc's obvious black stereotype is a good example.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Should've given him Teen Titans. Auuugggghhh

Anyways awesome coup for WB. Let Gunn do what he wants and dont fuck it up.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fuck this shit. Bautista was made to play Bane.

I think the problem here is that Bane is one of those bizzarre and almost unique specimen known as "latino comic book characters", and people harbor some expectations about having him be portrayed by a latino actor, for a change.

The guy wears a mexican wrestling mask.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly, DCEU fans think Marvel "quipfests" are great. I NEVER SAW THIS COMING.

Anyway, this is like, one of the absolute best outcomes DC and WB could've asked for. I know Gunn was supposed to be the guiding hand of Cosmic Marvel, even after Guardians 3 wrapped up. I wonder if he'll get a seat at the big boys' table with WB if he knocks it out of the park here.