Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
There is middle ground between BC 2 and BF 3 when it comes to destruction.

In BC 2 most of maps would be flat fields with zero infantry cover towards end of rounds. Tanks and helos farming free KDR from miles out because infantry had no way to fight back at those distances, but also had no place to take cover in. Some maps were worse with this than others.

it also was very frustrating.
I quite literally in my 1000s of hours of play in that game as well as 3 and 4 never once had an issue where a mini chop slaughtered me because I had nowhere to hide. There is a singular desert map in BC2 that had limited cover to begin with that was the issue with the map leveling and that's the map people tend to discuss when bringing up the potential problem. Even then I'd say that map was shit regardless.

They even improved upon it with vietnam giving you multiple places to hide that weren't buildings obviously.
Not to mention the absolute monstrosity of OPness that was the engineer class in all 3 of those games and their anti air/sea capability. Vehicles got slaughtered in those games. Sniper rifles even nuked choppers.

Basically the game was hella unbalanced and it made it fun in the same sense that MW2 was fun, there were overpowered options for every class (like every LMG in the game etc.)

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
I remember in BC2 I used to sit like a mile away from the objective as the sniper class and call artillery on all the buildings, then just plink away at dudes when the cover was gone. I'd go like 70-1 and I suck at games lol

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I just want a bigger battlefield, I feel like if they just release another game that doesn't really iterate on the formula in a meaningful way would be a massive mistake.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
DICE should go back to making it Multiplayer only. BF2 had bots, and that was enough.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
DICE should go back to making it Multiplayer only. BF2 had bots, and that was enough.
I enjoy the fun arcade campaigns they put out with BC2/3/4 but BF is the one FPS series I can accept no campaign if it made something else better (don't think it would though)

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Ditch the campaign/war stories entirely. Bad Company 1 was a fluke as every campaign since (perhaps with the exception of Hardline) has been mediocre at best. Bot matches would be appreciated though.

Every vehicle should spawn on the map, I hate you have to select tanks and planes from the respawn menu in 1 and V.

Should be set in the modern day or near future (think Black Ops 2). This should provide a decent enough variety for the weapon and vehicle sandbox.

No more dumb gimmicks like levolution, behemoths, or fortifications. Bring back the commander mode.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
we don't need deep customization. Just let me change the scope, add a longer mag if needed and laser sight. If they want to do cosmetics, that's fine as well.

go back to the old way of doing classes
More destruction
No game breaking bugs

and I'll be there day 1

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, here's my checklist for what a good new BF needs.
  • 2143, or at least 2043 as a modern-warfare compromise.
  • MP Only, SP campaigns have continually proven to be a waste of resources for Battlefield. Noone buys these games for that.
  • 8 Player Squads, 4 per team.
  • Playable Offline
    • Botmode
    • LAN
  • Strictly defined Classes based on Role like 1942 through BF2, no more of this "Four/Five highly-configurable generalists" crap. Ideally, a well-composed squad will consist of four Riflemen, and four others playing one of the seven other Support roles based on the needs of the Squad
    • Rifleman (Assault Rifle, Grenade Launcher, Medium Armor)
    • Corpsman (Semiauto Rifle, Medkit/Defib, Light Armor)
    • Engineer (Shotgun, Repair Tool, Light Armor)
    • Logistics (Semiauto Rifle, Ammo Bags, Light Armor)
    • Gunner (Light Machine Gun, Deployable Gun, Heavy Armor)
    • Anti-Tank (SMG, Rocket Launcher, Medium Armor)
    • Marksman (Sniper, Autospotter, Light Armor)
    • Infiltrator (Suppressed Rifle, Spawn Beacon+Cloak, Light Armor)
  • Vehicles spawning on map, in the bases - No more Spawn-Screen vehicle garbage.
  • Squad Spawn only on Squad Leader and/or a Spawn Beacon item only available to one of the Classes WHICH IS NOT THE SNIPER CLASS.
  • Conquest and Titan only
    • Neutral+Uncaps (Standard Conquest from BC2 onward)
    • Defense v. Attacker Uncap (BF2/2142 Standard)
    • Neutral, No Uncaps (BF1942 Classic)
  • No Health Regen
  • Revival Limitations (Explosive Kills, Headshots, already died once are Permadead)
  • No Cross-Class weapons
  • More Faction-Specific weapons, that reliably outperform the Faction Neutral guns in at least one specific way, ala Planetside.
  • Commander, which is an actual in-match player, with abilities tied to actual on-field assets that need to be defended - To mix things up, these could be tied to various Flags around the map instead of being huddled away in the Uncap. IE, Orbital Strike tied to a Flag near a Satellite Uplink at the center of the map.
  • No more CQB Maps. Every map needs to be Combined Arms. CQB Flags, sure, but not entire maps.
  • Limited but high-granularity destruction akin to R6Siege, rather than BF4's Levolution. Complete destruction of structures should be tied to a Commander Asset (Orbital Strike) instead of on-ground weapons, with any destructible structures having strategic consequences from their absence without being full-scale Levolution
    • IE, say a Bridge which makes moving Armor across a certain area actually feasible, and without it only Infantry can cross a certain area in a sane amount of time/without detouring
    • In place of BFV's Building mechanics, perhaps another Commander asset could be to place Prefabs in predefined spots on the map if their team has the resources, for example, a Bridge to replace the one destroyed in the former example, or maybe even in a whole new spot where the map didn't start with a Bridge at.
  • Alternatively, no destruction at all.
Oh god that was a mouthful to type. In short, go back to the roots - In game design, not just superficially like BFV, and, well 1943.

Until then, I'm sticking to Planetside 2 and Squad.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they go back to a more serious art style. There is something about the current art style that is both realistic and cartoony at the same time. And I really don't like it. Everything looks just slightly clumsy.

Trilobite

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
To me, Battlefield died after BC2.
I loved 1942, 2 and 2142, they were janky but I could live with that since the gameplay accommodated both shallow and deep gameplay.

With 3, the hubris started to show. The jank was still there along with crash bugs and other problems that took away from the enjoyment. With BC2 I was fine with it as I saw it as a spin-off, but 3 just killed Battlefield for me. I enjoyed the gameplay but it the experience was just so scattered and I felt that DICE didn't know what their game wanted to be.

I played about four hours of 4, gave up and didn't play until BF1. BF1 was fun, but gone were the coordination and gameplay in favor of beautiful graphics.

Tried Battlefield V trial and did not feel it at all.
In my opinion Battlefield needs to die as a franchise.

DICE needs to do something revolutionary to get me to buy a BF game ever again.
They always claim that they are doing something new but keep dumbing down the franchise and breaking performance. A polished turd is my go to when talking about BF nowadays.

Keep in mind that I loved the franchise, loved it!
Nobody would be happier than me if the went back to their roots.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
My biggest issue is everything surrounding gear, weapon and cosmetic unlocks is so damn confusing and a chore to navigate. All of my friends who are far more casual than me never even bother, and as somebody with less time on their hands with my kid it puts me off investing in its systems.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
They need to get rid of the AWFUL vehicle token shit. They've stripped so much of the fun and chaos out of the series.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be Modern times Battlefield with new Frostbite.

DON'T WASTE MONEY AND TIME ON SP thanks.

If it was a waste they wouldn't do it, plain and simple. Battlefront and Blops4 dropped the SP, sequel games returned it. Clearly it makes a difference to the bottom line or it wouldn't be there.

Even Overwatch 2 is adding it. You might not care about it, but its delusional to think no one does.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god that was a mouthful to type. In short, go back to the roots - In game design, not just superficially like BFV, and, well 1943.
Woah now. Battlefield 1943 was pure Battlefield. Its probably the best Frostbite Battlefield overall.

------

I kinda want to see Battlefield break the 64 player barrier next gen tbh. Maybe 128 players.

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
I kinda want to see Battlefield break the 64 player barrier next gen tbh. Maybe 128 players.
PC's were able to handle 128 players back when BF3's 'beta' came out. The consoles have always been the limiting factor.

Hopefully DICE ignore Jackfrags, the guy just wants to play his own way, infantry able to kill everything and nerfed to hell vehicles less they kill him, that he useless. He also just parrots the loudest minority about the games.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope they go back to a more serious art style. There is something about the current art style that is both realistic and cartoony at the same time. And I really don't like it. Everything looks just slightly clumsy.

I mean that's how things looked. Like people actually wore bright blue uniforms and stuff.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I am personally against 128-Player. I know technologically it should be possible, but from a game-design perspective I think it'll make the games too much of a clusterfuck. 32 Player teams can hardly coordinate as-is. Maybe 80-Player, but I think that's stretching it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
imo kinda given the next game will essentially be BF4-2. but they could go another way with it i dunno

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Jackfrags is so very good at eloquently describing exactly what makes Battlefield unique, and what's more impressive is his lack of hyberbole or clickbaity style delivery. It's almost like a podcast he records playing the game.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
I would love for things on this list to be true, but BF games over the last few years have mostly been a dissappointment. I normally enjoy them for a little but fall off much faster. They seem to remove some feature that was working just fine in the previous game making it worse.

I really want them to bring back destruction that existed in BFBC2 and BF3.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
PC's were able to handle 128 players back when BF3's 'beta' came out. The consoles have always been the limiting factor.

Hopefully DICE ignore Jackfrags, the guy just wants to play his own way, infantry able to kill everything and nerfed to hell vehicles less they kill him, that he useless. He also just parrots the loudest minority about the games.

A handful of infantry determined to kill a single guy in a tank should end in a destroyed tank. "I'm entitled to this 50-0 killstreak" is basically the mantra of players who refuse to spawn outside a vehicle. There's a middle ground between vehicles being useless and adopting the viewpoint of "I don't think it's fair if people not in vehicles can harm me."

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Let me preemptively vomit at this idea. The specialization system in BFV is near-perfect for guns. I fucking despise the "avalanche of choice" shit that we saw with BF3/4 and COD (particularly MW19).

Battlefield should be a simple sandbox team shooter. There shouldn't be hundreds of unlocks where you need to grind and grind and grind to get to get that sandbox.
Also modern setting is boring. I'd prefer World War II again, maybe Korea or Vietnam, or some alt-history Cold War Gone Hot in the late 60s or 70s.
The gunplay and movement in BFV is unmatched.

How do you delete someone else's comments?

On a serious note I disagree with pretty much each of these stances vehemently. After BF4 was fixed that was the perfect Battlefield game in my eyes. The sandbox, customisation and gunplay haven't been matched by any game after that.

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
There's a lot more to 128 players then just power. Considering Dices inability to do a proper BR mode im assuming the limiting factor is Frostbite itself right now.
Nah, if you look at old interviews around that time they state that they tried up to 256 or even 512 players. It's not an engine limitation. Also didn't the Dice developer on here state that the consoles couldn't handle the higher tick rate? It's consoles

A handful of infantry determined to kill a single guy in a tank should end in a destroyed tank. "I'm entitled to this 50-0 killstreak" is basically the mantra of players who refuse to spawn outside a vehicle. There's a middle ground between vehicles being useless and adopting the viewpoint of "I don't think it's fair if people not in vehicles can harm me."
One: It's possible now for a handful of Infantry to kill a tank, it happened to me only a few hours ago. Two: That's not what Jackfrags wants he wants a solo infantry player, how he plays, to be able to kill the tanks.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Nah, if you look at old interviews around that time they state that they tried up to 256 or even 512 players. It's not an engine limitation. Also didn't the Dice developer on here state that the consoles couldn't handle the higher tick rate? It's consoles

One: It's possible now for a handful of Infantry to kill a tank, it happened to me only a few hours ago. Two: That's not what Jackfrags wants he wants a solo infantry player, how he plays, to be able to kill the tanks.

Having played BFV recently, you can hit tanks for literally 3 damage with rpgs. If you're killed by a single, or even a couple, infantry you fucked up pretty bad. When you get in a tank, you can also play in 3rd person which is a hilarious advantage in a 1st person game. A vehicle player has so many advantages, you have to really work to lose to a handful of infantry.

If a solo infantry player can coat your tank in explosives and rocket you multiple times before you can find them despite having literally every advantage in doing so, I don't how you wouldn't deserve to be blown straight to hell.

Vehicles should have a significantly smaller playable area than infantry. BF6 needs to get rid of tanks hanging out on the edge of the map and retreating out of the playable area the second a rocket goes by. This would prevent passive vehicle play and ensure that there's always a route to flank vehicles. Dice needs to decide whether vehicles are a tactical choice or a killstreak.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
they need to go all in on environmental destruction next gen and let that be their main marketing focus

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have been making what feels like the same game over and over again for the past 20 years and no matter what the try to do they cant please everybody.

I think it's time for them to leave the franchise behind and do something different. it's time to move on. Look at whats happened with Halo. It used to be the premiere shooter franchise on consoles, but Bungie knew they had to leave the franchise behind in order to do something new.

I just dont think they can do a complete reboot while keeping the same name. you have to tear down everything and start fresh. rethink the way a war game needs to be played. their ideas are still stuck in 2002 era. point, shoot, and maybe drive some vehicles around. war games can be so much more. i watched saving private ryan, thin red line and black hawk down some 20 years ago and no game has managed to match the intensity of those war movies.

warzone has shown that even cod casuals are ok with dying and literally having to reload an entire map and get into a completely new game. maybe they will be open to a much more slower and tactical experience where you get maybe 10 kills max per 20 minute round but each kill feels earned. in saving private ryan, i dont think tom hank's character kills a single person. sean penn's big moment in the 20 minute thin red line's first war scene is giving someone morphine while running into gunfire.

they need to figure out a way to make each kill matter. you dont have to eliminate respawns to do that. but you have to get that intensity into video games. there is zero reason to have 64 player battles if you dont land on the beach at the same time. the beach landings in BFV are pathetic. 2-3 squads max. that is not how it all went down. and even if it did, it definitely doesnt feel epic.

just change the game. make it third person with naughty dog quality character animations. give everything weight. make every kill feel visceral. fill the map with hundreds of people. if half of them fall as soon as the boats land, so be it. have them all spawn on the second wave at the same time. make the maps smaller. you dont have to chase cod, pubg did its own thing and turns out people are fine playing slow paced shooters. its time for DICE to reinvent the genre. simply pushing out another battlefield that will piss off some youtubers, please other youtubes and leave the core audience bored out of their minds like BFV did is not going to help anyone.

MintMuffin

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
  • MP Only, SP campaigns have continually proven to be a waste of resources for Battlefield. Noone buys these games for that.
  • Playable Offline
    • Botmode
    • LAN
  • Strictly defined Classes based on Role like 1942 through BF2, no more of this "Four/Five highly-configurable generalists" crap. Ideally, a well-composed squad will consist of four Riflemen, and four others playing one of the seven other Support roles based on the needs of the Squad
  • Vehicles spawning on map, in the bases - No more Spawn-Screen vehicle garbage.
  • Squad Spawn only on Squad Leader and/or a Spawn Beacon item only available to one of the Classes WHICH IS NOT THE SNIPER CLASS.
  • No Health Regen
  • Revival Limitations (Explosive Kills, Headshots, already died once are Permadead)
  • No Cross-Class weapons
  • More Faction-Specific weapons, that reliably outperform the Faction Neutral guns in at least one specific way, ala Planetside.
  • Commander, which is an actual in-match player, with abilities tied to actual on-field assets that need to be defended - To mix things up, these could be tied to various Flags around the map instead of being huddled away in the Uncap. IE, Orbital Strike tied to a Flag near a Satellite Uplink at the center of the map.
  • No more CQB Maps. Every map needs to be Combined Arms. CQB Flags, sure, but not entire maps.
  • Limited but high-granularity destruction akin to R6Siege, rather than BF4's Levolution. Complete destruction of structures should be tied to a Commander Asset (Orbital Strike) instead of on-ground weapons, with any destructible structures having strategic consequences from their absence without being full-scale Levolution
    • IE, say a Bridge which makes moving Armor across a certain area actually feasible, and without it only Infantry can cross a certain area in a sane amount of time/without detouring
    • In place of BFV's Building mechanics, perhaps another Commander asset could be to place Prefabs in predefined spots on the map if their team has the resources, for example, a Bridge to replace the one destroyed in the former example, or maybe even in a whole new spot where the map didn't start with a Bridge at.

I don't think strictly locking weapons with classes is a good idea. This is an FPS, not a MOBA. people want to use fun weapons regardless of class. I want to use shotgun in a close-quarter infantry map, and I don't want to be stuck with a repair tool. For the same reason I strongly oppose faction exclusive weapons. Nobody cares about factions, especially when there isn't even a campaign to show what the hell those factions are about. This is just locking guns behind arbitrary criterion.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody cares about factions, especially when there isn't even a campaign to show what the hell those factions are about.
Depends on if the game is historical or not.

This is an FPS, not a MOBA. people want to use fun weapons regardless of class

Despite how you've worded it you've unintentionally stumbled into a debate I'm sure DICE has had: What FPS players expect vs What makes Battlefield unique

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think strictly locking weapons with classes is a good idea. This is an FPS, not a MOBA. people want to use fun weapons regardless of class. I want to use shotgun in a close-quarter infantry map, and I don't want to be stuck with a repair tool. For the same reason I strongly oppose faction exclusive weapons. Nobody cares about factions, especially when there isn't even a campaign to show what the hell those factions are about. This is just locking guns behind arbitrary criterion.
The idea of such specificity - an entire class can only use shotguns and repair tools? - is absurd, but I do like a generalized focus. The support/ammo guy, for instance, shouldn't be using a sniper; stuff like that.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
DICE has shown they're terrible with balancing customization so the less the better tbh.

I don't care about era but I'd like a game that doesn't have a terrible grind and terrible assignment system to unlock things.

I'd like them to keep the fortification system from BFV along with crouch running and crouching in turrets.

Absolutely 0 vehicle customization (it always ends horribly) and please god just make the vehicles on maps preset so there's actually a reason to use the weaker vehicles.

And yes the single player has been consistently bad for every game they've made, BFBC2 was the best but that was still sub-par.

I don't care one way or the other about visual customization but hopefully the timed unlocks and then they're gone forever and the goofy elite soldiers from BFV are gone forever.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jackfrags is so very good at eloquently describing exactly what makes Battlefield unique, and what's more impressive is his lack of hyberbole or clickbaity style delivery. It's almost like a podcast he records playing the game.

Literally the only streamer I watch. His streams are so informative yet oddly relaxing at the same time.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
The idea of such specificity - an entire class can only use shotguns and repair tools? - is absurd, but I do like a generalized focus. The support/ammo guy, for instance, shouldn't be using a sniper; stuff like that.
So like Battlefield 4 then, where you have class specific weapons and some general weapons.

• Playable Offline
    • Botmode
    • LAN
  • No Health Regen
  • No Cross-Class weapons

I agree with some of this, but most of your points are a bad idea for Battlefield. Seems like you want it to become a hardcore FPS, like the mentioned Squad, which is not what Battlefield is about anymore. The most popular Battlefields in recent time are a more casual experiences, compared to the original. BF3, BF4 or even BC2.

Commander was to be a huge feature coming into BF4 and it turned out that nobody cared about it, seems like a waste of time to me. I also highly disagree with limiting to only two game modes and no CQB maps. They all serve a purpose. BF1 added two new now fan favorite game modes, Breakthrough (Operations) and Frontlines. I feel like Conquest, while a classic gamemode, is outdated and boring and I'm glad DICE is making new fun modes, we need more options, not less.

Locking weapons is a bad idea as well. People will just play the class and faction for its weapons, regardless of it's other abilities, this will never work.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Think it should just go into fucking massive scale warfare, but I doubt BF6 will be next gen only, so probably be too much for current gen if they tried while keeping the gameplay smooth. Only thing I really want though is a modern or future setting, zero interest in anymore set during the WWs.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
I hope DICE update their Frostbite to be mod-friendly or make a new engine instead to support talented modders.