brainchild

Independent Developer
Banned
Nov 25, 2017
While I think that Corporate America can sometimes go a bit overboard when it comes to adhering to 'professional standards', I must confess that I do tend to get frustrated with unprofessional behavior in certain contexts.

Email etiquette is one of those things that seems to constantly evolve yet doesn't seem to lose its grip on outdated customs (the nebulous rules regarding salutations and sign-offs are perfect examples of this), so I can understand why so many people, quite frankly, just don't give a fuck about email etiquette. That being said, some email practices just seem objectively bad to me, and I can't for the life of me understand how they manage to go unchecked in so many different companies.

Take the colorful/rainbow text emailer, for instance (there's at least one in every office). Just...WTF are they thinking? Aside from the fact that their shit is hardly ever legible (regardless of the color of your screen's background), how do they not know how obnoxious their messages come across to read when nearly every other person in the office -- including C-level executives -- send normally colored emails? It's not cute, it's ridiculous, especially when the emails are important and/or mandatory to read.

Another big one for me is the complete disregard for the subject line. I can't speak for everyone else, but if I receive an email with no subject, it's not getting opened unless you're the owner of the company (and even then you're gonna get the side-eye from me). I can barely tolerate poorly written subject lines, but if you can't be bothered to tell me what your email is about, I can't be bothered to read it.

Anyway, I'm curious what examples you all have. Where in the proverbial realm of unprofessionalism do you draw the line between innocuous behavior and obnoxious behavior?

Horsefly

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'll match your "empty subject line" and raise you "emails with everything in the subject line and an empty body".

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Might be me, but I do not like receiving emails that solely confirm receipt of something, I don't like when people ask me to confirm receipt, and I also don't like emails that just say "thanks!." All of that is inbox clutter.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
When someone replies to an email and they send a new email instead of continuing the existing conversation leaving you guessing what they're replying to

Last edited:

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
"I hope this email finds you well"

Answering only 1 question when multiple were asked.

Over usage of exclamation marks to seem happy.

Copying your supervisor on something they ask you to do on the first request. Or just involving people up the chain needlessly which causes additional hands in the pot that don't need involved

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Bigass email signatures.

I'm a project manager and I'll sometimes have chains that last a year+. Some of those chains are still fairly small (file-size-wise) because everyone has clear and concise signatures with only text. Others I have to trim every month because they have whole-page-takeover signatures with 3 images that talk about all the awards they've won as well as a bigass corporate logo.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Accidentally added to a distro list or receive an automated notification?

Obviously the first thing you do is "reply to all" asking to be removed. That certainly won't set off a neverending chain of idiocy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Copying your supervisor on something they ask you to do on the first request. Or just involving people up the chain needlessly which causes additional hands in the pot that don't need involved

It drives me nuts, but this is actually my division's policy - we HAVE to CC our supervisors on any requests outside of the team because people in other teams were just NOT DOING THINGS we asked them to do so our supervisors made us start CCing them on everything to make sure there's a paper trail if another team drops the ball.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Passive aggressively cc'ing my boss in their response to my email, as if I'm going to go "oooh oh no" when in reality my boss trusts me to let him know when he needs to get involved with something.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I send you an email with a question, you don't answer....ever

You send me an email and get impatient when I haven't provided an answer within 20 minutes.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm in construction and the damn default seems to be no greeting of any kind so it constantly sounds like someone yelling at you as soon as you open the thing.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Someone I have to deal with a lot lately has accepted that they can't keep calling me at 3am with notes due to the time difference involved, so now they send me ludicrously long speech to text emails with no concept of paragraphs.

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Using the Urgent flag for every single thing.

I started ignoring those after getting a "wow, I didn't think you'd respond over the weekend!"

Also this:
Might be me, but I do not like receiving emails that solely confirm receipt of something, I don't like when people ask me to confirm receipt, and I also don't like emails that just say "thanks!." All of that is inbox clutter.

I keep read receipts turned off.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
"Polite reminder/notice"

You don't get to determine if it's polite or not. And if you're saying that, it's hard not feel like you're being passive-aggressive.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The worst is on IM clients, teams, slack
  • Pramod: "Hi Albatross"
    Me: (thought process: if I reply "Hi Pramod," am I committing myself to 3minutes of work, or 3 hours of work, or 3 days of work") [say nothing, 30 minutes pass]
  • Pramod: "Hi"
    Me: [continued silence, 2 hours pass]
    Me: [finally he's called my bluff] "Hey Pramod, how's it going?"
  • Pramod: "Can I call?"
    Me: [uggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh] "Yeah, sure"
And now I'm locked into doing some bull shit for Pramod for the next 3 hours.

Unless it's like a friend or someone you have a good raport with, here's how you should ALWAYS message someone out of the blue on your work IM:

"Hey Jimbo, sorry to interrupt... I've got a question about the button component, getting this bug when it renders on my page here (link). Let me know if you've got time today or later this week to take a look at it with me. Thanks!"

Why do you do it this way? Because then Jimbo can click your stupid link, look at your stupid problem, and figure out how much times it's going to take, and then get back to you at their convenience when they have a free hour.

Sooooo many people message me saying "hi" that I decided I'm just not replying until they bring the bacon. Unless it's like a manager or someone important or someone I like talking to. If it's just random ass Josh or Christine who only comes to be when they break something and doesn't read the doc, I'm not replying until they spell it out. And if that means they never gets a reply to me and have to type "Hi" 5 times every 20 minutes, so be it.

Whenever I write an involved, important email I use "BLOT," bottom line on top. So, basically, the first sentence of the email summarizes it and asks the core question, and then below i have "details" which goes into depth. As you all know from here I'm very verbose, I write long requirements, I spell out details, it can be a lot to get an email like that so I try to put the BLOT just so someone can decide when they want to deal with that email.

Last edited:

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I got one manager on one of my many project teams that will "reply all" to my emails about taking time off or medical emergencies or whatnot. I'm on so many different teams that this is a "reply all" to like 50+ people and all they send "Okay" to everyone on that list. Like, I don't need a fucking acknowledgement at all, much less sent to 50+ people!

bananab

Oct 27, 2017

I started ignoring those after getting a "wow, I didn't think you'd respond over the weekend!"

Also this:

Oh I didn't mean those, I meant just people emailing me something and asking in the body "please confirm receipt." I find that doubly annoying.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Receiving email while I am alseep that says..

"Hey, can you get XYZ done for me tomorrow morning?"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
As a wed developer / designer who takes on the role of front-end coder and visual graphic designer, one of my biggest peeves is a simple one: people ignoring questions in an email.

As a coder there are times I need to get client input before continuing, as my role is a dual one this also happens with the design aspects, so it happens pretty often as it's coming from two places.

I am usually in contact with the client via some form of messaging app. When we begin I try to get them to understand that in many ways the process is a collaboration and there will be times where the project will be held up with a decision that needs to be made. I let them know that I will put these things in an email and prompt them via our messenger of choice, and they always without fail tell me they understand how important this will be to keep track of.

7/10, the client will reply to the email and not answer the questions I need. This holds things up, sometimes to the point a project gets delayed by weeks, and as I work 50% up front and 50% on completion, this affects my income and my ability to move on to new projects. Very often this creates a situation where I am forced to shift projects into my personal time so I don't lose out on new work.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
One of my biggest pet peeves are people sending emails just as or just after my work day is done and then complain the next day that I didn't answer them.

1. I don't watch my email box all day
2. I won't answer your email after I'm done with work or if I'm about to be done with work
3. If I don't reply to your email, it's because it is useless to reply and a useless email to have sent.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
My company recently started using Teams.

I dislike it when people call me on Teams out of the blue. In fact, I won't even answer it when they do that, I'll just straight up decline it.

IM me first, and ask if I have a few minutes for a call. Bonus if you tell me what the call is in reference to.

I realize that it's honestly not a whole lot different from receiving a regular phone call, but I still find it somehow more intrusive.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It drives me nuts, but this is actually my division's policy - we HAVE to CC our supervisors on any requests outside of the team because people in other teams were just NOT DOING THINGS we asked them to do so our supervisors made us start CCing them on everything to make sure there's a paper trail if another team drops the ball.
I kinda get that for a request outside if your dept so they just don't blow you off but it just comes across petty. But making it policy means it must be a big issue for your workplace...that sucks

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
My company recently started using Teams.

I dislike it when people call me on Teams out of the blue. In fact, I won't even answer it when they do that, I'll just straight up decline it.

IM me first, and ask if I have a few minutes for a call. Bonus if you tell me what the call is in reference to.

I realize that it's honestly not a whole lot different from receiving a regular phone call, but I still find it somehow more intrusive.

For real. Is it so hard to just IM and ask first? I also decline out of the blue callers.

There are also those who ask but then call before you answer.

Oct 30, 2017
When someone replies to to an email they send a new email instead of continuing the existing conversation leaving you guessing what they're replying to
Fuck. I worked with a guy who would reply to all emails by making a brand new email and including the previous email as an attachment. So now instead of just scrolling to see what the question was I have to open an attachment? Dude.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Ask three questions in email. They reply to just the first question.

Omg this.

Or when you ask an either/or question and you get a response with a "yes" Yes what? Yes you want me to do the first option or yes you want me to do the second option?

Read the actual content of the email!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Also this:

Used to work in higher ed and the sense of self-importance would palpably drip through the walls when the ... Asst. Director of Athletic Services (whose primary responsibility is making sure nobody goes into the weight rooms reserved for the men's shuffleboard team) sends every email with "URGENT!" flag.

Finally I was sick of the bull shit and replied "Mike, do you know that you have the 'URGENT' flag set for all of your emails?"

And likewise with read receipts. I had to get so fucking passive aggressive about.

I'd reply with one line... "Email received."

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The worst is on IM clients, teams, slack
    Me: (thought process: if I reply "Hi Pramod," am I committing myself to 3minutes of work, or 3 hours of work, or 3 days of work") [say nothing, 30 minutes pass]
  • Pramod: "Hi"
    Me: [continued silence, 2 hours pass]
    Me: [finally he's called my bluff] "Hey Pramod, how's it going?"
  • Pramod: "Can I call?"
    Me: [uggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh] "Yeah, sure"
And now I'm locked into doing some bull shit for Pramod for the next 3 hours.

Unless it's like a friend or someone you have a good raport with, here's how you should ALWAYS message someone out of the blue on your work IM:

"Hey Jimbo, sorry to interrupt... I've got a question about the button component, getting this bug when it renders on my page here (link). Let me know if you've got time today or later this week to take a look at it with me. Thanks!"

Why do you do it this way? Because then Jimbo can click your stupid link, look at your stupid problem, and figure out how much times it's going to take, and then get back to you at their convenience when they have a free hour.

Sooooo many people message me saying "hi" that I decided I'm just not replying until they bring the bacon. Unless it's like a manager or someone important or someone I like talking to. If it's just random ass Josh or Christine who only comes to be when they break something and doesn't read the doc, I'm not replying until they spell it out. And if that means they never gets a reply to me and have to type "Hi" 5 times every 20 minutes, so be it.

Whenever I write an involved, important email I use "BLOT," bottom line on top. So, basically, the first sentence of the email summarizes it and asks the core question, and then below i have "details" which goes into depth. As you all know from here I'm very verbose, I write long requirements, I spell out details, it can be a lot to get an email like that so I try to put the BLOT just so someone can decide when they want to deal with that email.

I get it, and I think the same sometimes, but I can see why this happens (besides idiocy). Sometimes you're fishing for an answer and unless there's some kind of group or teams or something they can ask, you are trying to find out if anyone has bandwidth or is even around and not out of office before talking their ear off. Plus some people will find it annoying if they are asked the way you describe, it kind of depends on the person.

Back to email, I also struggle with the whole reply all. Sometimes I reply all because I have no idea who is needed and who isn't in the email chain I just got forwarded, and someone else put some kind of gigantic list on it. At times, I can get annoyed at the congratulatory stuff which just takes up inbox space, but again I get it because you're not just saying thank you to a colleague, you're trying to do it in a visible way that others notice.

But my biggest annoyance with emails is the lack of threading, and things getting lost in separate chains. Like someone will add a bunch of people, but then someone else will reply to an older email, etc. I'm not even sure what can be done about that but I always consolidate when I can (if the conversation isn't going at a rapid pace)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Reading the OP and some of the responses, damn...I have been lucky to never experience or do this. I cant speak for how co workers did but alot of this seems like common sense.

I email like I would greet, talk to someone in person.

🤷‍♂️