demondance

Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason "Oh, finally Dark Alliance 3 eh?" is a running joke when talking about Baldur's Gate 3
It's because there are 20 people in the world who care about Dark Alliance and even that's a high estimate.

It doesn't have the same cache as the original series obviously, but I don't really get why they have to be associated all that much. Baldur's Gate isn't the first Forgotten Realms game adaptation or anything. Far from it.

The DA games are towards the top of the list of decent adaptations of the setting, especially from that era or anything since.

Oct 28, 2017
Who is shitting on the Dark Alliance games? They're dungeon crawlers that actually leverage D&D rules in ways similar action adaptations don't. They're exceptional games that should've served as the template for many more multiplayer/real-time translations of D&D settings.

Also, they're the BG-branded games that Chris Avellone actually wrote for. For some reason a lot of people associate him with BG, well, if they want to see his Forgotten Realms work they'll have to grab a PS2 or Xbox.

I'm here to ask the opposite. Please, Beamdog, don't waste your time with a mediocre ARPG, perhaps even two (never played DA2)--they're a dime a dozen and still being made today.

Let Dark Alliance rest.
There's a reason "Oh, finally Dark Alliance 3 eh?" is a running joke when talking about Baldur's Gate 3
It's because there are 20 people in the world who care about Dark Alliance and even that's a high estimate.
Baldur's Gate I and II are some of the finest RPGs ever made. If not the best.

Dark Alliance are decent~ish console Diablo knockoffs. They can remain buried in the sand dunes of history.

Take your pick.

Edit: I see you did indeed take a pick. Regardless, I still stand by my point. I could try to correct their personal opinions on the matter. But then I realize its about a video game and how they feel is irrelevant to my interest in the BG:DA games.

Last edited:

demondance

Oct 27, 2017

One calls them mediocre, one calls them decent-ish, these are opinions that I don't agree with but are ultimately reasonable. Especially considering the framing that this is indeed a subgenre that gets a constant stream of entries.

The other one (which I already replied to) is the only one that comes near your "only BG games that matter" foolishness, which you're now up on your cross over so clearly you're just fine with bombastic hyperbole in the first place

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The Champions of Norrath games were fun as well.
To be honest, they were WAY better than the Baldur's Gate games. But I think none of these aged too well. The Baldur's Gate games weren't that great even when they were new. And the Norrath games are too limited for today's standards. But I'd welcome true sequels to these games.

Oct 28, 2017
One calls them mediocre, one calls them decent-ish, these are opinions that I don't agree with but are ultimately reasonable. Especially considering the framing that this is indeed a subgenre that gets a constant stream of entries.

The other one (which I already replied to) is the only one that comes near your "only BG games that matter" foolishness, which you're now up on your cross over so clearly you're just fine with bombastic hyperbole in the first place

Reasonable? One says mediocre, dime a dozen style game and let it rest and the other says they can remain buried in history in a thread about wanting remakes of two very specific games. They got their games so why does it matter if we want to get ours? But somehow I'm being unreasonable and foolish when I say in my opinion (not objective fact) the crpgs don't matter. Somehow, my personal feelings on the matter are an affront that just needs to be addressed.

But ok, I'm checking out. Clearly unless I walk on egg shells and don't offend the personal preferences of this sensitive group I'm being foolish and bombastic.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Reasonable? One says mediocre, dime a dozen style game and let it rest and the other says they can remain buried in history in a thread about wanting remakes of two very specific games. They got their games so why does it matter if we want to get ours? But somehow I'm being unreasonable and foolish when I say in my opinion (not objective fact) the crpgs don't matter. Somehow, my personal feelings on the matter are an affront that just needs to be addressed.

But ok, I'm checking out. Clearly unless I walk on egg shells and don't offend the personal preferences of this sensitive group I'm being foolish and bombastic.

Cool dude!

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
No one forgot about them, they just weren't that big to begin with. These games get way too much play as it is and its super annoying that every time Baldur's Gate comes up in discussions there is always someone to chime in with 'but what about dark alliance!@?!?!'. We get it already.

The worst part is how you see it so much in the games press, confirming just how console oriented the entire industry is. Hey lets not talk about that legendary PC game that many people think is one of the greatest games of all time, lets shift focus to the mediocre PS2 action RPGs because that's all we can talk about when someone says Baldur's Gate!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No one forgot about them, they just weren't that big to begin with. These games get way too much play as it is and its super annoying that every time Baldur's Gate comes up in discussions there is always someone to chime in with 'but what about dark alliance!@?!?!'. We get it already.

The worst part is how you see it so much in the games press, confirming just how console oriented the entire industry is. Hey lets not talk about that legendary PC game that many people think is one of the greatest games of all time, lets shift focus to the mediocre PS2 action RPGs because that's all we can talk about when someone says Baldur's Gate!

You're more than welcome to make a thread celebrating the mainline Baldur's Gate games, but their impact and quality is pretty well established and widely discussed. If some people want to talk about how much they enjoyed they (clearly maligned) spin-off series, what's the issue? It hardly overshadows the main series.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Oh man these were great. I LOVED the first Champions of Norrath. Didn't really gel with the way the sequel worked as far as the changes to the game systems.

CoN was awesome but man did I not like the loot progression. I played and completed it three times with the same exact class and at the end of the game I had the same exact gear and weapon because it was all pretty much set. These days games try to randomize things or at least give you top tier versions of various types of gear so you can kind of choose how you're going to play and how you want your character set up.

Still though, for a little PS2 ARPG I couldn't complain at the time. I'd snap up a basic remaster in a heart beat.