Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 are great games. But it's a bit tiring to see Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2 never part of the discussion (Despite their sharing of names). I get it, these are dungeon loot crawlers set in the same universe and not the rich and deep RPGs many the Baldur's Gate name is known for. However, that doesn't make them any less brilliant for what they are.

Despite both titles being made for consoles and not PC, I'd go so far as to say they stand pretty close to the top in the Dungeon Loot Genre regardless of platform. Their shorter length with multiple classes lends to a lot of replay-abiliy that doesn't drag out and become unwelcome. That coupled with local Co-op lends for some great gameplay among friends that personally, still sits with me to this day. Also let's not forget the highly quotable merchant and his dwarven weapons which come all the way from the sunset mountains.

220px-Baldur%27s_Gate_Dark_Alliance.jpg
220px-Dark_alliance_II_boxart.jpg

Now to explain why i'm calling out Beamdog here, they currently seem to have the most hands on with these older IPs. Between BG 1 & 2, they also have the likes of Torment, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights. So if there's any company that could go through the trouble of working with these D&D licenses and Atari, it would likely be them before anyone else. After all, once these current batch of ports are done (Which are coming to just about everything under the sun that they haven't already hit). It might be worth looking into broadening their catalog of Forgotten Realms titles. There's a whole slew of other titles that are worth a second look in this line.

Oct 28, 2017
IMO the only two BG games that matter and they get no love. I really want to replay them but I really don't want to buy an old console to do it.

Edit: Apparently since having an opinion means speaking absolute, objective fact, I will clarify that I "prefer" the more action oriented, dungeon looters to the crpgs of old.

Last edited:

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Never played them, but played the hell out of bg 1 and 2.

If Beamdog does do something hopefully they invest in a pc version in the same way they invested in a console version of the CRPG classics. Wouldn't mind giving them a shot.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
I played a bunch of Dark Alliance 2 co-op with my friend forever ago and remember really enjoying it. Wasn't Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel in a similar position?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
They're definitely enjoyable, but LOTR Two Towers had better combat.

I'd love to see a revival of action RPGs in this vein.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want more games like this check out Victor Vran. Has a lot of the PS2 console era action RPG in it's DNA.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These games are really fun, but I'm not surprised Beamdog hasn't bothered with them, as they aren't Infinity Engine CRPGs, they are console hack and slash ARPGs in the style of Diablo developed using Snowblind's engine. There were also quite a few legal disputes with the engine and it may even be owned by Warner Brothers now since they bought Snowblind and rolled them into Monolith after War in the North bombed.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Isn't Beamdog in a heap of trouble right now, and only working on console versions of their already released remasters?

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
This has been brought up before and if I remember correctly the Dark Alliance games were kinda different rights wise. There's something messy in there like Black Isle and Snowblind Studios owned the rights to the 'Dark Alliance' brand whereas Wizards owned Baldur's Gate obviously. I remember reading after Baldur's Gate 3 got cancelled they were still happily working on Dark Alliance 3 because it was 'theirs'.

The rights would lie with Wizards to republish it but I think the source code is probably in a bin somewhere.

Isn't Beamdog in a heap of trouble right now, and only working on console versions of their already released remasters?
Don't think they are in a heap of trouble, they are about to move into early access for Axis and Allies, a digital recreation of the same game. They also have an upcoming DLC for all the Enhanced Edition games with voices and portraits of the Dice, Camera, Action performers but I think it's been postponed by Wizards because one of the performers has created some drama but I'm not sure what it's about.

In general they are trucking along updating Neverwinter Nights with a new renderer and working on another patch for the Infinity Engine games but that's been worked on for almost a year now. There are theories there is more projects and the recent discussion about Planescape Torment sequel getting canceled and Baldur's Gate 3 going to Larian is making the community a bit depressed I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
These games are really fun, but I'm not surprised Beamdog hasn't bothered with them, as they aren't Infinity Engine CRPGs, they are console hack and slash ARPGs in the style of Diablo developed using Snowblind's engine. There were also quite a few legal disputes with the engine and it may even be owned by Warner Brothers now since they bought Snowblind and rolled them into Monolith after War in the North bombed.

I figured the legal trouble might be where things get messy. I know that WB is a pain to work with and it's why we STILL haven't seen NOLF brought back.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I figured the legal trouble might be where things get messy. I know that WB is a pain to work with and it's why we STILL haven't seen NOLF brought back.
Yup, back when both Snowblind and other studios were using this engine was when Snowblind was independent. That's why Black Isle was able to make BG:DA 2 and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel while Snowblind was making Champions of Norrath for Sony. Snowblind tried to continue licensing their engine to other developers, Interplay sued them. Snowblind was able to keep using the engine afterward to make Justice League Heroes, but then they were bought by Warner Brothers so I would assume WB owns the engine now.

Nov 2, 2017
They also have an upcoming DLC for all the Enhanced Edition games with voices and portraits of the Dice, Camera, Action performers but I think it's been postponed by Wizards because one of the performers has created some drama but I'm not sure what it's about.

Holy fuck, really? That sucks for Beamdog. One of the performers has been accused of grooming and soliciting nudes from minors.

Fucking big old fail sting from Price is Right right there.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
These games tricked me into buying Demon Stone, which had way less replayability and was way shorter.

(I would have still bought it because I was an RA Salvatore nerd and playing as Drizzt was dope.)

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Holy fuck, really? That sucks for Beamdog. One of the performers has been accused of grooming and soliciting nudes from minors.

Fucking big old fail sting from Price is Right right there.
Holy shit yea that'll do it. Honestly a good thing that came out before the DLC released. I hate to boot up my favourite knowing there's a pedophile portrait/voice in there.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These games tricked me into buying Demon Stone, which had way less replayability and was way shorter.

(I would have still bought it because I was an RA Salvatore nerd and playing as Drizzt was dope.)
That was an entirely different developer and style of game though, Demon Stone was made by the studio that did LOTR: The Two Towers. Was it just because of the license?

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved those games when they released, also Champions of Norrath. I would buy a remaster immediately with online co-op.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Champions is a fun as hell game but man it was full of cheesecake, ditto for dark alliance one.

I'd kill for remasters collections though.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Sure, I'd like to see remasters of those Dark Alliance games. After Icewind Dale II:EE. Beamdog is 1 game away from remastering the whole Infinity Engine catalog.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Was The Bard's Tale made on the same engine as BGDA and Champions of Norrath? That has a PC version (although I recall that it could have been more controller friendly).

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
These two are my introduction to baldur's gate games and put in countless hours of coop with my brother. I wish they bring them back and make a new one as well.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I have such good memories playing DA1 on Gamecube with my brother, we really need a remaster.
The half-screen menus were pretty smart.

Feb 12, 2019
Sure, I'd like to see remasters of those Dark Alliance games. After Icewind Dale II:EE. Beamdog is 1 game away from remastering the whole Infinity Engine catalog.
You might be waiting on that one for a while, unfortunately. One of the reasons Beamdog hasn't done an enhanced edition of IWD 2 is because no one can find the source code. Apparently things were sort of on fire at Black Isle around that time, so it wasn't preserved the way some of the other IE games were.

Deleted member 43872

Banned
May 24, 2018
Was The Bard's Tale made on the same engine as BGDA and Champions of Norrath? That has a PC version (although I recall that it could have been more controller friendly).
Both the 2004 Bard's Tale and LotR: War in the North are based on the Dark Alliance engine and have PC ports. (Also, anyone here who liked Dark Alliance and hasn't played War in the North should maybe consider checking that out if you can. It's got a dope eagle in it.)

You might be waiting on that one for a while, unfortunately. One of the reasons Beamdog hasn't done an enhanced edition of IWD 2 is because no one can find the source code. Apparently things were sort of on fire at Black Isle around that time, so it wasn't preserved the way some of the other IE games were.
Dang! It's also GemRB's least supported game so far. That's a real shame.

Oct 28, 2017
Both the 2004 Bard's Tale and LotR: War in the North are based on the Dark Alliance engine and have PC ports. (Also, anyone here who liked Dark Alliance and hasn't played War in the North should maybe consider checking that out if you can. It's got a dope eagle in it.)

Do you know which store has War in the North? I couldn't find it on steam. Also, do you know if it had controller support?

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I want Champions Return to Arms to get a remaster but it will never ever happen. Hell just a new game in that style would be enough. Never got to play the Baldur's Gate games that used the engine.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm here to ask the opposite. Please, Beamdog, don't waste your time with a mediocre ARPG, perhaps even two (never played DA2)--they're a dime a dozen and still being made today.

Let Dark Alliance rest.

Deleted member 43872

Banned
May 24, 2018
Do you know which store has War in the North? I couldn't find it on steam. Also, do you know if it had controller support?
Looks like it's been delisted, seemingly because the online matchmaking service was taken down (you can still set up private co-op tho). GameStop of all places seems to still have keys, and it was in a couple bundles so there might still be keys kicking around elsewhere. It's not an exceptional game, so you don't need to go too far out of your way, but it's a pretty fun time and Snowblind's last hurrah.

I don't remember having any trouble with controller support; pretty sure I played it with a 360 pad. It's very much a console port with a controller-centric UI.

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like it's been delisted, seemingly because the online matchmaking service was taken down (you can still set up private co-op tho). GameStop of all places seems to still have keys, and it was in a couple bundles so there might still be keys kicking around elsewhere. It's not an exceptional game, so you don't need to go too far out of your way, but it's a pretty fun time and Snowblind's last hurrah.

I don't remember having any trouble with controller support; pretty sure I played it with a 360 pad. It's very much a console port with a controller-centric UI.

I'll look around and see what I can find. Thanks for the heads up!

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
These games had legit amazing water effects for the time period. I remember picking Dark Alliance 2 on release back in the day, we were that hyped for it (and also disappointed we couldn't run around in our underwear anymore, sadly that feature is exclusive to DA1).

My friend and I completed one more playthrough of DA2 Xbox version about 5 years ago (the Xbox died shortly after -_-) and it was still great fun.