Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I'm using a glass protector and had to replace it 3 or 4 times because i'm an idiot and the anti-scatter film didn't budge. I also mailed Nintendo support and they said it shouldn't come of accidently.

Oct 25, 2017
17a17ae6b93faf667b39af6d8fe34d68.gif

Zack's a good Youtuber though.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why you assumed orherwise. Always put a protector on any device with a screen, no matter what the manufacturer says about the screen's hardness.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
why did they put a screen protector on to protect a glass screen? And why put a screen protector on that can't be easily replaced because then that effectively becomes the screen which is now plastic?

Does Nintendo have a dedicated team working on how to add that 'Nintendo factor' to everything they do, to keep us on our toes?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
why did they put a screen protector on to protect a glass screen? And why put a screen protector on that can't be easily replaced because then that effectively becomes the screen which is now plastic?

Does Nintendo have a dedicated team working on how to add that 'Nintendo factor' to everything they do, to keep us on our toes?
Because it's not a screen protector

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
"It's official" 🙄

No. Fuck screen protectors. I don't need 2 plastic layers on top of each other ruining the glorious screen quality, thank you. Never needed one for any of my products in the past and that won't change here.

Sometimes I'm really questioning what the fuck people do with their products.

That would be true for a glass screen except Nintendo put plastic film on top that likely scratches extremely easily even with normal use.

Do I even want to know how you "use" your Switch?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
"It's official" 🙄

No. Fuck screen protectors. I don't need 2 plastic layers on top of each other ruining the glorious screen quality, thank you. Never needed one for any of my products in the past and that won't change here.

It's really weird how up in arms people who don't use screen protectors get about it lmao. Nobody cares that you magically never scratch any device you own, good for you. Normal people scratch stuff all the time, especially portable devices. A screen protector just means you don't need to replace the whole screen when that happens.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
There has been much speculation and discussion surrounding the "anti-shatter film" that comes securely installed on top of the Switch OLED's glass display, and up until now I don't think we've had a definitive answer as to whether or not the new screen was more durable than the original Switch's plastic display to where it would no longer be as worthwhile to install a screen protector. It seemed likely that the film would scratch easily as well since it's plastic, but JerryRigEverything has sacrificed a shiny new SwOLED to give us the answers we've been seeking.

The new screen scratches incredibly easily at only a 2 on the hardness scale, and that plastic film is absolutely to blame. While the glass display underneath might very well be more scratch resistant, it ultimately doesn't matter since the film is so securely attached to it that it basically can't be removed without damaging the glass underneath. If you scratch that film, you've effectively scratched your screen permanently. And from the video you can see that even a quarter is hard enough to scratch it.

Long story short: put a glass protector on your Switch OLED ASAP.

The framing of this seems incredibly strange and almost feels like being mad at nothing. Every single outlet I have seen has said that the plastic film is for anti shatter and isn't a component of the screen itself. There was no reasonable expectation from anyone that the plastic film would have any durability comparable to a screen or a screen protector.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Anyone else buy like 6 screen protectors at once? I was watching them go on and thought how I go through that many just trying to get one of the bastards on without an air bubble, random piece of fluff or it just not being aligned at all.

Also, I have now discovered that watching people hack at screens, deeply upsets me. So that's good.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who trusted Nintendo to protect their screens hasn't really been paying attention.

Sadly, they've never been particularly durable, but at least with the GBA SP and DS the clamshell design helped protect them. Every 3DS has had screen scratching caused by its own clamshell though (or at least before I started wising up).

In the end, the only one you can trust to protect your investment in a handheld device's well being is yourself. So I could never have imagined this was ever in question in the first place.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
"It's official" 🙄

Lol did I step into a different forum or something? This post is quite something.

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Dec 6, 2017
Going to add to the list of peeps promoting the AmFilm tempered glass screen protectors. Very easy to install (use the stickers included to attach to the Switch from the bottom of the unit after lining up, and gravity takes care of the rest once you have it lined up). I installed mine on my OG Switch back in 2018 and I'm still using the same protector to this day.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Normal people scratch stuff all the time, especially portable devices.

I really, really doubt that. If you use your phone completely naked, maybe, but that would be as insane as shoving your switch into a backpack without traveling case, if you use a phone case or at least bumper, that shouldn't happening at all.
And I don't even have a phone case that closes up the screen, only sides and back and having my phone in the trouser pocket all the time and it still doesn't get scratches. What the fuck are you guys doing?
If what I quoted really is the case for you, then I would start questioning how you use your products, seriously.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird how up in arms people who don't use screen protectors get about it lmao. Nobody cares that you magically never scratch any device you own, good for you. Normal people scratch stuff all the time, especially portable devices. A screen protector just means you don't need to replace the whole screen when that happens.
Agreed but at the same time I don't understand why some people don't get why people don't like them or use them either.

They're an absolute bastard to apply correctly and I've never managed it yet without air bubbles

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Is this the amfilm one people have mentioned? Is it good? Only has 3 stars?

amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector Compatible with Nintendo Switch OLED model 2021 (3-Pack): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector Compatible with Nintendo Switch OLED model 2021 (3-Pack): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games
They're mostly very good, the problem I have with it is that it doesn't cover the screen 100%. It's off by like a millimeter or so. So it will leave a minuscule gap on the bezel somewhere. It's not a huge deal but it is annoying.

I'll probably end up switching it out for Orzly sometime in the future as I was very satisfied with the ones I used for my launch model switch.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The last time I did this was with my OG Switch's glass screen protector and while it's not at all scientific, because I absolutely suck at applying them, had lot better luck with closing the door to the bathroom and running a very very hot bath.

Last time I think I used Steam to play a video game as well.

Budum tish.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
My stomach hurts real bad from the knife scraping and ruining the Switch on purpose ouff

Shame on the screen though

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Never put a screen protector on anything I own, and I've never had any problems.

I'm reasonably careful with the things I own, but not excessively so.

Same.

I'm not discrediting the video or peoples opinion on screen protectors.
I purchased the amFilm for my OG Switch due the dock scratching issue.

My use case is home only, undocked/docked.. More undocked.
I'm not really concerned to be honest.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed but at the same time I don't understand why some people don't get why people don't like them or use them either.

They're an absolute bastard to apply correctly and I've never managed it yet without air bubbles
I don't think anyone has said this though? Those are completely understandable complaints. This thread doesn't really seem to have anyone dismissing those complaints, just people getting really emotional and angry about the concept of screen protectors for some reason lol.

I really, really doubt that. If you use your phone completely naked, maybe, but that would be as insane as shoving your switch into a backpack without traveling case, if you use a phone case or at least bumper, that shouldn't happening at all.
And I don't even have a phone case that closes up the screen, only sides and back and having my phone in the trouser pocket all the time and it still doesn't get scratches. What the fuck are you guys doing?
If what I quoted really is the case for you, then I would start questioning how you use your products, seriously.
I use my phone naked because I have insurance so a screen replacement would be cheap, and it's a glass screen so it doesn't scratch easily. But yeah, people definitely scratch their phones all the time. It could be as simple as accidentally putting it in the same pocket as another item.

But the Switch's screen is plastic and the OLED switch's screen has a plastic film over it, both of which scratch really easily so yeah, putting a screen protector on them makes sense. Hell, you could probably scratch a Switch screen up good with a slightly too sharp fingernail when using the touch screen.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" situation. If you haven't had any issues then good for you! Hell people (myself included) have had their Switches scratched by the Dock. So kindly, you can fuck right off with the "you're doing it wrong" bollocks.

Devices getting scratched is a thing that happens, screen protectors and cases exist because of this reason and I have no idea why this seems to upset you so much lol. I guess based on your original post it's a misunderstanding? You seem to think screen protectors are all plastic or inexplicably that they reduce the screen quality?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo ever heard of gorilla glass ? If basically everyone is using it it can't be that expensive.
I think the problem is is that the switch is treated as a toy used by kids and because of this they have to make sure it is safe. This will be why it has that plastic screen over the glass to grab any shards.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

[4 Pack] iVoler Tempered Glass Screen Protector Designed for Nintendo Switch OLED Model 2021,Transparent HD Clear Screen Protector for Nintendo Switch OLED 7'', Bubble Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B4MJ9H...abc_PNVND4B1GXXH3QBBNFHM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Like I said before, this one has a template to apply, I quite literally ran a shower for steam to get rid of dust. Then dropped it into this frame included. I kid you not when I say dropped it in. It settled down by itself without bubbles. If you don't try to press it on, the displacement of air from the screen settling on the surface will sort itself out properly. Being glass of course helps with this.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is is that the switch is treated as a toy used by kids and because of this they have to make sure it is safe. This will be why it has that plastic screen over the glass to grab any shards.
100%.
Nintendo wants to avoid "My kid dropped their Switch and got cut by the broken glass" stories.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Na I'm good. I use a high quality Waterfield case and when I'm not using the system it's in there. It's not like I leave my Switch laying about randomly so that's good enough and if I get 1 bubble it will bother me forever. And if I drop it, I have to worry more about the actual system getting scuffed up than the screen. I'm good.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for raising! Ordered tempered glass screen protector.
One question, should you remove the included screen protector before applying the tempered glass one or leave it?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for raising! Ordered tempered glass screen protector.
One question, should you remove the included screen protector before applying the tempered glass one or leave it?
You probably wouldn't be able to remove the film if you tried. And if you did, it'd probably break the screen in the process.

So probably leave it on!

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of post in this thread are not passing the vibe check. That YouTuber does a lot of good by informing people about their products and the durability. Obviously the video is exaggerated for dramatic effect (no one is going to take a knife to their Switch) to demonstrate the point that it's easily scratched. If this is scratching at a level 2 then the screen is extremely susceptible to scratches and should be protected by a tempered glass screen protector if that is important to you. I had an amfilm on my original switch and got one for my OLED one. Better safe than sorry since I'm assuming any OLED owners will be playing it portable a lot since that's the primary reason to own this version.

Decarb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait you use phone case with your phone?

No. Fuck phone cases. I don't need a second plastic or leather layer on the back of my glorious metal or glass back, thank you. Never needed one for any of my products in the past and that won't change here.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
The framing of this seems incredibly strange and almost feels like being mad at nothing. Every single outlet I have seen has said that the plastic film is for anti shatter and isn't a component of the screen itself. There was no reasonable expectation from anyone that the plastic film would have any durability comparable to a screen or a screen protector.
It wasn't intended to come across as mad. It's more of a PSA now that someone has bothered to test the scratch-resistance of the OLED model. A lot of people had been wondering about that since launch.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

No. Fuck phone cases. I don't need a second plastic or leather layer on the back of my glorious metal or glass back, thank you. Never needed one for any of my products in the past and that won't change here.

Nice try to be funny.
Phone cases protecting your phone (and the screen!) from all kind of bumps and when you let it fall is a thing. Screen scratches while using it normally and putting it away normally (Same with the Switch), aren't. And back cases, or traveling cases aren't altering the f'n screen quality, you know, the main attraction of these products?
But I would still agree with your funny copy paste text half way even. Phones without cases are f'n glorious, every few months I remove it, the phone feels like a completely different object to me, twice as high-quality, so I even get people not doing that.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
If y'all are so worried about tempered glass screen protectors ruining the IQ of the screen, go ahead and peel off that plastic one Nintendo put on over the glass screen lol.

Because that plastic film will age a lot worse than any tempered glass you put on it.

Decarb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice try to be funny.
Phone cases protecting your phone (and the screen!) from all kind of bumps and when you let it fall is a thing. Screen scratches while using it normally and putting it away normally (Same with the Switch), aren't. And back cases, or traveling cases aren't altering the f'n screen quality, you know, the main attraction of these products?
Maybe realize that your use case doesn't match up with others before belittling them? I've only dropped my phone twice in 20 years, and one of them was when I tripped and fell down while running with it. But I'm not going to accuse people who use phone cases of being clumsy and careless because that would be asshole-ish. Some people drop things more frequently than others, some scratch their screens more than other. The fact that the Switch screen scratches with fking human nail will make me want to put a protector on it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Lol did I step into a different forum or something? This post is quite something.

I don't think anyone has said this though? Those are completely understandable complaints. This thread doesn't really seem to have anyone dismissing those complaints, just people getting really emotional and angry about the concept of screen protectors for some reason lol.

I use my phone naked because I have insurance so a screen replacement would be cheap, and it's a glass screen so it doesn't scratch easily. But yeah, people definitely scratch their phones all the time. It could be as simple as accidentally putting it in the same pocket as another item.

But the Switch's screen is plastic and the OLED switch's screen has a plastic film over it, both of which scratch really easily so yeah, putting a screen protector on them makes sense. Hell, you could probably scratch a Switch screen up good with a slightly too sharp fingernail when using the touch screen.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" situation. If you haven't had any issues then good for you! Hell people (myself included) have had their Switches scratched by the Dock. So kindly, you can fuck right off with the "you're doing it wrong" bollocks.

Devices getting scratched is a thing that happens, screen protectors and cases exist because of this reason and I have no idea why this seems to upset you so much lol. I guess based on your original post it's a misunderstanding? You seem to think screen protectors are all plastic or inexplicably that they reduce the screen quality?
Its absolutely amazing the things ppl get up in arms about.

Amazing.

When I have to think about whats in my pocket with my phone....its not an alien concept that phone screens get scratched with just normal use. I rarely carry change, but best believe I have my keys in a separate pocket. Also because the days I dont have my wallet I dont wanna worry about demagnetizing my debit/credit card(s) by scratching it to hell.

Thank you.

I have learned over the years...after swearing off phone cases....that they are needed. If anything....for phones that seem to glide like they are on ice. The case offers friction that stops that. Unless the case is also ultra slippery, lol.

I only get phone cases that come with a built in screen protector now.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh who cares, Switch 2 will be out before screen scratches have time to become a problem anyway.

/s, kind of

I did go with the stock plastic screen protector that comes with the official Nintendo branded case. Worked fine on my LCD model when I got that version, and the OLED one looks good too.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
My Switch had some fine scratches from the dock but nothing that bothered me or the people I've now sold it to.

My Switch OLED has been in and out of the dock since I got it and had nothing to show for it.

Can't be bothered with screen protectors. If I get one speck of dust behind one in the middle of the screen, it'll annoy me more than tiny scratches around the bezel.

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
To hold the glass together when a kid inevitably drops the thing on the ground and it smashes.

If that's their concern they shouldn't have used glass in the first place!

It's insane to bother with using glass and then cover it with plastic. It defeats the entire benefit.

It's classic Nintendo so I don't why I'm surprised.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
[4 Pack] iVoler Tempered Glass Screen Protector Designed for Nintendo Switch OLED Model 2021,Transparent HD Clear Screen Protector for Nintendo Switch OLED 7'', Bubble Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B4MJ9H...abc_PNVND4B1GXXH3QBBNFHM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Like I said before, this one has a template to apply, I quite literally ran a shower for steam to get rid of dust. Then dropped it into this frame included. I kid you not when I say dropped it in. It settled down by itself without bubbles. If you don't try to press it on, the displacement of air from the screen settling on the surface will sort itself out properly. Being glass of course helps with this.
Sounds great but sadly not available on Amazon UK :/