leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Putting a plastic protector on that you're not supposed to take off that scratches easily after you finally put a glass screen on their device is classic Nintendo.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Does the new dock at least not scratch the shit out of it like the original? I keep my stuff in pristine condition so having it noticeably scratch the bezel before I got a screen protector was absurdly irritating.

Tbh, I was expecting this to be about that and not someone literally taking a knife to the screen lol.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Just went to the store and they still don't sell protectors for the OLED version ☹️ I hate this, I put a regular Switch protector on for the time being.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
My OG never got scuffed at all, but can't we use the spare that came with the first tempered glass?

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Every one of these topics over the years is filled with "I haven't put a screen protector on any device ever since I'm not a gorilla". Why must we always be so damn cool. I learned that lesson the hard way even though I'm very protective of my electronics.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Is that anti-shatter film put on all OLED displays? or is there a random reason Nintendo have found out their screens seem to shatter a lot more easily than they should?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
What about the reports from the launch thread stating that protectors had a negative impact on the vibrancy or something of the OLED screen? I think those were AmFilm ones but I don't remember the details.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I'm still surprised when I hear people don't just put screen protectors on everything. I won't even use a new device until it has one installed. I don't care if it's supposedly durable, it's just not worth the risk and there isn't really any reason not to. Shit happens no matter how careful you are with your devices, and a single scratch could take away from the experience forever.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Does that remain true when placed on top of an existing screen protector?
In the case of the anti-shatter film most likely, yes. That thing is VERY strongly adhered, borderline fused with the glass display underneath it. No tempered glass screen protector's adhesive is gonna be strong enough to pull that off with it when removed, even years later I'd wager.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, no screen protectors for me. But holy shit that video was hilarious lol, I was digging that guy's voice.

Sep 20, 2021
Such videos as above are made to sell protective covers. And yes a coin could scratch many things, hard and soft...

Unless you plan to throw your Switch in your hand bag along with your keys and a coin collection you probably don't need a "protector".

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Such videos as above are made to sell protective covers. And yes a coin could scratch many things, hard and soft...

Unless you plan to throw your Switch in your hand bag along with your keys and a coin collection you probably don't need a "protector".

That would be true for a glass screen except Nintendo put plastic film on top that likely scratches extremely easily even with normal use.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
In the case of the anti-shatter film most likely, yes. That thing is VERY strongly adhered, borderline fused with the glass display underneath it. No tempered glass screen protector's adhesive is gonna be strong enough to pull that off with it when removed, even years later I'd wager.
That's good to know. I didn't want to speculate on how strongly that film was adhered. I am scared to test it myself.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not taking a knife to my Switch or putting it in a bag of change so I think I'll be fine.
As long as nothing ever touches the screen you'll be good!

That's good to know. I didn't want to speculate on how strongly that film was adhered. I am scared to test it myself.
I don't think anyone has tried to pull the OLED's one off, but you should go look up people pulling them off the 1st gen Galaxy Fold if you want to see how strongly adhered they are!

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a screen protector even on my OG Switch from day 1. Never hurts to be more cautious.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Since we're speaking of Nintendo I always thought it was crummy that the DS didn't include a screen protector for the bottom screen. The DS Stylus scratched the hell out of it, at least it did on my OG DS. Had to send it in.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a screen protector even on my OG Switch from day 1. Never hurts to be more cautious.
Yeah, it's kinda wild to me that there are some people in here so up in arms about it lol. Worst case scenario with a screen protector on, it gets scratched and you replace it for pennies. Without one on, the screen gets scratched and you replace it for a lot more than that.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
If the handheld device has a proper glass screen it's unnecessary. I've owned iPhones for 14 years and never once put a screen protector on one.

My Switch I put one on the day I bought it. It's plastic. Plastic screens suck.

Please tell me you have a case on your phone. If not, you're playing with fire my friend.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Please tell me you have a case on your phone. If not, you're playing with fire my friend.
I go caseless. Tbh the smaller footprint and size day-to-day is worth more to me than the possibility of needing to screen repair (which yeah... I've had to do once in the past 6 years or so)

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
As long as nothing ever touches the screen you'll be good!

Yep, I haven't scratched any of the screens on my switches since launch or even my phone's for the last 5+ years for that matter. All without screen protectors.

There's nothing wrong with using screen protectors and they can be necessary sometimes depending on your use case but I've just always used a good case on my phone and mostly used my switches at home.

giphy.webp

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone know if the dbrand ones sit flush with the screen? Would like a glass screen protector but don't want one with rounded edges.

I intend to own the OLED for a very long time so I'm going to get a protector on it.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
So maybe I'm a bit dense but...why is there so much hubbub around this preapplied screen protector? Why did nintendo bother in the first place if it's apparently borderline useless?

Screens are, like, a solved problem at this point right? Is it that much to expect nintendo to apply, idk, a tempered glass screen protector? Is it some issue to do with the oled panel they chose specifically?

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh great, I f*cking hate screen protectors.
They're a pain in the ass to install, I've never done it right yet without bubbles

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first thing I did when my switch arrived was promptly wait until my screen protector for arrived. Started a shower to weigh down the dust, remove it from the packaging and installed a screen protector.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
You've got balls of steel. I absolutely BABY my electronics, but even my launch Switch eventually developed scratches along the bezels from the dock. After that I put a screen protector on top, which helped reduce the visibility of the scratches a bit.

Also keeping mine sans protector. I've had to learn to let go of things like scratches on electronics. Focusing on it too hard just triggers by OCD to the point of not enjoying using the device.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I put one on mine when I took it out of the box. Had one installed before I even powered it on for the first time.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I got a tempered glass one on my OG switch, which was getting scuffed by the dock. It's really hard to apply one and not get dust underneath, but it's really worth it too.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
"I never scratched my original Switch, so I'll be fine!"

"Just remove the plastic layer that comes on the OLED Switch!"

Why don't you just post, "I'm not going to watch the video in the OP! Lalalalalaaaa", instead?

Oct 25, 2017
maybe screen protectors have got better since i used one on my phone back in 2008, but i'm always worried they're just going to make the picture worst and collect gunk around the borders.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah pretty perplexed as to what is going on with these screens that Nintendo felt it was necessary to put that outer layer of plastic on them. Also I'm pretty sure even if you want it to be shatter resistant/proof, the plastic layer didn't need to be out the outside of the screen.

And yeah based on what's in the video, you'll probably want a screen protector or you're likely to scratch the screen getting it in and out of the dock.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
im worried about adding a fuckton of reflectivity to my switch OLED if i add a screen protector.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Leave it to Nintendo to put a scratch-resistant material like glass on their new Switch, only to cover it in some of the softest plastic known to man.

Hesitant to get a screen protector just yet since there doesn't seem to be any consensus on which is best.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I added the AmFilm tempered glass screen protector on mine and I can't even tell its on there. I wanted to make sure I had a screen protector on since I'm using my old launch dock in another room and I'm afraid that thing will scratch up the screen.

Nale

Jul 17, 2021
I'll be honest, I can't watch the video right now but everyone seems to keep saying that removing the plastic layer "ruins the screen" without explaining why. To me, it sounds like removing the anti-shatter layer would only make it more dangerous if the screen were to shatter, nothing else. Would love to see actual proof of this, in one direction or another.