Oct 26, 2017
From Serebii himself:

You can see the trailer here:

There's some concerns that the scenes with Ash meeting Pikachu again are a sign of it bring a reboot. Serebii seems to confirm they're flashbacks and after over 20 long years, we seemingly will get to see Pikachu's origin as a Pichu leading up to his meeting with Ash. O_o

Ash's Father showing up when? :P

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After 20 long years for us but isn't the in-universe time still only a year or something? That's hilarious.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering how they can do character development for Pikachu after all this time and well, this is about the best thing that they could have possibly done.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
... Now that I think about it, it makes sense, obviously, but I had never thought about Pikachu being a Pichu before meeting Ash.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
... Now that I think about it, it makes sense, obviously, but I had never thought about Pikachu being a Pichu before meeting Ash.

Probably because the early seasons just showed tiny Pikachu instead of Pichu (which did not exist) is ingrained into your mind and now you're thinking about that really sad episode that you saw many years ago.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't sugar coat how much of a sour dick Pikachu was at the start. Him being so disobedient and mocking Ash was such an integral piece of him finally coming around to him after saving him. Exploring why he looked down on trainers at the time is a great piece of lore to finally tell.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they explore the backstory of why he was so chonky in the first season

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
sqyzAe7.jpg

I remember that episode where Ash's Pikachu met with others, along with baby Pikachu. It's amusing looking back at it now. I look forward to seeing Pichu.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The show established that Pokémon have varying ages in a single form.
Like the old Treecko.

old-treecko-194045-202297.jpg

Obviously the smaller Pokémon from Kanto were meant to be Pichu before Pichu, but it fits in lore.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I thought about Pikachu being a Pichu before but I thought the writers would never show it at this point, it's gonna be hype

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Really? Don't they go out of their way to never reference them in the anime?
Not really. There have been many references

in the Whirl Islands, Ash mentions seeing Lugia in the Orange Islands
Drew is from the city in the Deoxys movie
In the Darkrai movie, Dawn buys a Lunar Wing which is then seen again in a Darkrai episode much later.

To name but a few

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. There have been many references

in the Whirl Islands, Ash mentions seeing Lugia in the Orange Islands
Drew is from the city in the Deoxys movie
In the Darkrai movie, Dawn buys a Lunar Wing which is then seen again in a Darkrai episode much later.

To name but a few
Oh that's incredible I don't know how I ever missed that o:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Ash winning a league? Pikachu origins coming soon? Now I feel they really want to retire Ash permanently. I hope kids like his replacement whoever that is.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ash winning a league? Pikachu origins coming soon? Now I feel they really want to retire Ash permanently. I hope kids like his replacement whoever that is.
The fact the new character is named Go makes me really think Ash is being retired.

S147.jpg

Silver from the Moltres episode of Chronicles. The way he reacted when Richie mentioned Ash was highly unusual
I still hope Kukui is Ash's Dad. Would make so much sense in my head with their relationship in Sun & Moon.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The fact the new character is named Go makes me really think Ash is being retired.
It's actually spelled as Gou in Katakana, which is a common Japanese name like Go Ichinose, the composer for the games (Ash is named Satoshi after Satoshi Tajiri so it could simply be the same situation here). While Go from Pokémon Go is different

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Why retire Ash as soon as they can finally do more interesting things with him?

Well if they do it, they think they will make more money with the change. Internally they might justify such a decision that a new lead character allows them to shift the overall tone of the show to increase the show's marketability. I'm riffing off of Tokyosaurus speculation that his new co-star is designed to be that replacement because he is more androgynous in design in order to be more appealing to girls and his goal of just seeing the entire world is more accessible than being the very best.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Well if they do it, they think they will make more money with the change. Internally they might justify such a decision that a new lead character allows them to shift the overall tone of the show to increase the show's marketability. I'm riffing off of Tokyosaurus speculation that his new co-star is designed to be that replacement because he is more androgynous in design in order to be more appealing to girls and his goal of just seeing the entire world is more accessible than being the very best.
I don't know if that would generate more money, Ash is very iconic worldwide. When he won the league he was trending on Twitter for hours and got articles about it on mainstream sites

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The show established that Pokémon have varying ages in a single form.
Like the old Treecko.

old-treecko-194045-202297.jpg

Obviously the smaller Pokémon from Kanto were meant to be Pichu before Pichu, but it fits in lore.
I can see them aging but an evolved form being smaller?

that is the odd one lol

of course if you don't consider the bolded