• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
It makes sense, she is the breakout hit character from New Leaf which sold around 10 million copies, did well in some polls and fan requests. She wasn't gonna be an echo since she was far too popular and Villager's animations are too violent for her. The popular argument that I saw people using against her was that they didn't want to "hurt" Isabelle but I always found that bullshit considering some of the already cutesy characters in the game.

The moveset mostly looks like one that fits her personality and only unintentionally hurts people much like Phoenix Wright in Marvel 3.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is crazy enough to use Mewtwo in Melee they certainly don't make it very far. Regardless, I always thought he was sloppy to play as. I actually didn't start enjoying him until after a few patches in Smash 4.

They both just required very particular playstyles. I dunno about not making it very far if you watch what people like Taj or Leffen can do with the character.
You can watch Taj beating Colbol, one of the better fox players out there at The Big House 6 if you haven't seen how its done. Anyway I dunno how this ended up happening in this thread.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I could honestly give less of a shit about Animal Crossing or Isabelle tbh, but it's great that people that did got their wish. I know I'd be similarly over the moon if Issac ever got in.

He definitely won't though. It is what it is.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, she is probably the most prepared to take over Mayoring when he's out of town... now that they are both in Smash, who's left? Pete?

unknown.png

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I think Skull Kid doesn't need to be a fighter, but I can get why people want him. Geno fans are the worst though. Except for maybe Goku fans.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's me, too. Ridley is nice. Inklings are welcome, too. Chrom is just getting backpay. The Belmonts look interesting enough. K. Rool turns me slightly off the game.

But Isabelle is the kind of Smash nonsense I love with the series. Making a character who doesn't fight into a playable character in a fighting game? And an adorable one at that? Yes. This is good Smash silliness. More, please.
ya I agree, Inklings I get why they are in, it was bound to happen given splatoon's popularity. Chrom and Belmonts im slightly interested in, but not exactly enthusiastic about. Ridley and K.Rool being in smash are just aggressive memes to me, them being in actually makes the game worse in my eyes. Isabelle is just silly fun though, I love characters like that

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Skull Kid doesn't need to be a fighter, but I can get why people want him. Geno fans are the worst though. Except for maybe Goku fans.
My favorite game of all time is Majoras Mask, but even I don't want Skull Kid. I love his character, I can easily see him as a smash fighter, i just don't want him. Though I'd love an amiibo of him rather then just the statue we got from Majoras Mask 3D Collectors edition.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People complaining about Isabelle on Smash are monsters. Yes, that's what they are. Isabelle is a sweetie that totally deserves to be on Smash.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isabelle is awesome and I can't wait to see her fight fucking Ryu and Ridley and shit

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand why people always complains about certain characters getting in Smash Bros. I guess they forget how massive Animal Crossing's fanbase is.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
People complaining about Isabelle on Smash are monsters. Yes, that's what they are. Isabelle is a sweetie that totally deserves to be on Smash.

From the more competitive players I know personally and otherwise, the reaction seemed almost entirely positive. Its actually mostly just a few people on forums I think.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'll admit that the newcomer roster so far isn't doing that much for me. However rather than whine and complain about the characters that are here I would rather just keep on hoping for my characters to get in. Though I will admit if Minecraft Steve got in over Banjo and Geno got in over Sora I'll be super miffed. With that said the game is already doing so many great things that I can take the newcomers not being to my tastes. I already have a stable of 5 mains I want to dig into and any more would be gravy.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The leading "leak" that included Isabelle has heavily rumoured some kind of Minecraft representation, maybe even a character. So I can't wait for the salt if that happens.
the fact that probably every kids on the planet know about Steve (im exagerating) i'll make sense to put it in the game, a good choice. If I was a 9yo kid growing up on minecraft I would probably loose my shit if it was announced

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Kids who weren't even born when Smash 64 came out could be 18 years old now, where Steve from Minecraft was one of the most well known characters and popular franchises from their childhood.

You're old, Smashers. Old and redundant. Suck it Genofans.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real disappointing Tom Nook wasnt added as well.

Dude seems like the kinda fella that knows how to beak kneecaps

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Real disappointing Tom Nook wasnt added as well.

Dude seems like the kinda fella that knows how to beak kneecaps

I think they said in one of the Ask Iwata that they didn't like the fan perception that Tom is a loan shark, it's why he's dressed as a a father in a 1950's sitcom in New Leaf and makes less jokes. They probably don't want to reinforce that image of him at all for whatever reason. They should be reveling it as fan-non goes it's charming instead of egregious

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be the smallest reveal for the game so far in-terms of social media. Though granted other reveals were tied to full-on smash directs and not just wedged into a direct. Still she's a good pick. Roster needs more female fighters. Does make me curious on who the last reveal will be though. I feel like this time the last reveal will be a big deal. Just to keep with the namesake of ULTIMATE.
That and we know that it will be the last reveal, considering they're revealing the entire roster before the game hits. I don't think Sakurai would use the dangerous "and now, the final character for Smash Ultimate is..." bombshell on a deep cut or wtf character. It's probably gonna be a big third party.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love that she's in. I didn't even know that I wanted this until I saw it, and I haven't played Animal Crossing in years. Should've gotten in before Villager to begin with, but things have finally been made right.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
Very (pleasantly) surprised cute lil' Isabelle isn't an echo. And hopefully not the last female newcomer too.

That was a weird Tom Nook moment at the end of the Direct though. It felt like he was going to shoot his brains out in envy lmao.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
How can people dislike Isabelle? She's wonderful! I'm seeing this distaste among my friend group, too.

Well, former friend group.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
How can people dislike Isabelle? She's wonderful! I'm seeing this distaste among my friend group, too.

Well, former friend group.

huh... well, from what ive seen from less casual players, including people who mostly still play melee seem to love this addition. Maybe its just people who were really expecting something like Goku.

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like Isabelle in Smash, we can't be friends. I'm dead serious. Sakurai makes the ULTIMATE Smash game, has dropped bombs already, and you act like bitchy, entitled 13-year-olds when Isabelle gets in? Grow the hell up, you salty, no-fun-allowed killjoys.

Isabelle is adorable, and I am happy to see more AC represented in Smash. 90% sure she'll be my main.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isabelle is here because she heard a certain someone has been evading his taxes and she's here to collect. With a hammer.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
huh... well, from what ive seen from less casual players, including people who mostly still play melee seem to love this addition. Maybe its just people who were really expecting something like Goku.

Close! They all wanted someone different, but it was like... Sora, Isaac, or Doomguy. I'm the only one of my friends at this point that gets wrapped up in Animal Crossing, so a 2nd Animal Crossing rep seemed weird to them, & the fact that Smash was being used to lead the hype for another series instead of the other way around didn't work on them.

But it ranged from "I don't care for Animal Crossing but good for you" to "wHO EVEN ASKED FOR ISABELLE" & I was all "I." I'm so glad I lost this Avatar Bet, IntelliHeath .